final

Clueless

It had been two years...

            It had been two years since they had been going out as lovers. Nana never thought that she would last this long with Mir. Not when the Mir that she knew is a childish boy who always seemed to have unlimited energy and took everything around him as a joke. So she thought, Mir probably wouldn't give all to this relationship. That this would be another short fling to that guy. So, she agreed to date Mir without much thought when the man asked for it after the recording that After School did together with MBLAQ.

            She hadn't had any reason to date Mir, well she did actually. But the reason wasn't because she loves Mir or even a bit adore the guy who seemed to be cute to everyone's eyes. Cute guy wasn't really her type. She preferred older man who was responsible, strict yet gentle when needed. Hence what brought her back to her reason for dating Mir.

            Seungho.

            She had fallen for Seungho at the first sight. Seungho's charisma, his sharp dark eyes yet turned gentle when he smiled had totally captivated her and as she knew Seungho more, she just fall even deeper that she was afraid she wouldn't find the way out anymore. But this deep crush also sent fear to her guts hence rendering her incapable of confessing her feeling to Seungho especially when it was clear she didn't have ability to attract Seungho's attention as a lady. Heck, Seungho seemed to be more interested in Mir more than her.

            Because of this really strong crush for Seungho, she had agreed to date Mir in order to keep at least a reason for her to sometimes meet the man whom she had fallen so deeply with. Surely her conscience kept her up at night, nagging at her how unfair she was being with Mir but then Mir seemed just happy with her. What Mir didn't know wouldn't hurt him. And since Mir was happy for having the chance to date Nana and Nana was happy for being given a reason and chances to meet Seungho through Mir, it seemed fair for everyone. Everything was well.

            "Are you okay, Jinah? You seem a bit distracted today." Jinah looked up when Mir's gentle voice softly touched her ears and his hand was waving in front of her face to catch her attention.

            "Um, yea. Of course." Nana looked away, afraid of being discovered. Afraid that Mir would see through her, would see her real feeling if she even as much dare to lock their gaze for more than a minute.

            Mir sighed, looking down at the girl who had filled every inch of his heart with gentle stare. He kept a smile on his face though. "Well, do you want to go for a date this weekend? It wasn't going to be much of a date though since Seungho hyung and Byunghee hyung want to come along too."

            Nana's heart jumped at Seungho's name but kept her outward cool, ice princess appearance. "Urm... Why would they want to come?"

            Mir grinned sheepishly, scratching at the back of his head, looking so much like a child and his baby face appearance just added strength to that image. "I asked to borrow Seungho hyung's car so you see, Seungho hyung really cherishes his car, and he didn't trust me that much. And... Byunghee hyung just being his annoying nosy self."

            Nana chuckled, finally looking up at Mir to let Mir watch her beautiful face. "I see." Nana noticed how Mir's eyes seemed to never blink and drifted away from her whenever he got a chance to look at her. And if Nana looked away and happened to glance back at Mir once in a while, she would always caught Mir staring at her. It made her heart flutter just a little bit to know someone would stare that long at her, and even with love-filled eyes.

            "You're beautiful."

            "You told me that every single time we meet."

            "And yet it never seems enough." Mir smiled at the slightest pale rosy blush on Nana's bare face. "You look even more beautiful when you smile." His voice was so sincere that it made Nana felt genuinely happy.

            She was a girl after all. Praises like this kept her spirit up and her heart would always raced in excitement and her chest would have burst if only it was Seungho who was the one uttering those words.

            "So, anyway, I have to go. Make sure you give your best in the practice." Mir stood up, straightening his shirt. He bent down slightly to match his eye level with his girlfriend. "Meet you this weekend?" He asked for confirmation with his wide soft brown eyes glittered with hopes.

            "Yea, sure."

            Mir smiled softly. It turned out that he never could chase away a smile from his lips whenever it came to Nana. He leaned closer slowly, smiling even wider when Nana squeezed shut her eyes and quivered slightly. Such a cutie.

            Mir pressed his lips tenderly on Nana's forehead after using his right hand to move away Nana's strawberry blonde bang. When he pulled away, he looked deeply into Nana's eyes. He saw how those eyes filled with question. Question that Nana would never voiced and which Mir didn't have even the slightest intention to answer.

            "I love you, my princess." He whispered and pulled away, waving slightly at Nana as he walked down the hallway, looking back once in a while to throw the flustered girl with a few flying kisses and his charming wink.

            Nana watched until Mir disappeared around the corner only to giggle when Mir poked back only his head from around the wall just to throw her one last kiss. Only after she was sure that Mir had left that she slumped back on the chair in the hallway, leaning her back on the cold wall as her brows knitted even the slightest bit.

            It had always been a wonder to her. She had dated Mir for two years yet in what Nana would have called a stable relationship, Mir never went past a few tender sweet kisses on hands, cheeks, forehead and nose. Nana ghosted her finger above her naturally red lips. He never even kiss me on my lips. Not even as much as a peck. Why? 

            She seriously wondered why. He thought Mir was like a child. And a child was always possessive and impatient. He thought Mir would have long marked her as his but Mir never did. Or maybe because Mir was too much of a child? It couldn't be. She was pretty sure she had heard somewhere that Mir had kissed his ex-girlfriends before.

            Now that Nana thought back, when sometimes he stared deep into Mir's eyes, she saw some special tenderness, reserved just for her. And though Mir joked a lot with her, messing around so much like his normal self, she couldn't deny there were times when Mir seemed so mature and were gentle to her. And in these two years they had been going out with each other, they never once fight. And maybe that was why they last for so long in this one-sided-love relationship. Nana just had no reason to break it off with Mir. And there was also that fact that if she broke up with Mir, she might no longer have excuse to meet Seungho over a coffee or just to hang out because even though she had met Seungho a lot through Mir, her relationship with Seungho didn't yet reach even a friendship level. It was hard for her even to initiate conversation with Seungho without blurting something stupid. She might have cool image to other people but she was one really shy girl. But, she pretty sure Mir had known that side of her because sometimes Mir patted her head adoringly or kiss her cheeks with a little nip after saying she was so cute he just want to bite her, which he really did, bite her. Sometimes...

            Nana felt that familiar warmth crept up her cheeks. Lately, she blushed more often in Mir's presence. Her heart fluttered more often at Mir's sweet action and words. She laughed even more at Mir's jokes. She was comfortable enough to complain at Mir if anything saddened her, or anger her and Mir would patiently listen to her and offered her some intelligent advices or just simply hold her close as comfort.

            Friend. That's right! Mir is a really good friend for her. But, that's what I feel. What about Cheolyong? All those treatment. Those looks in his eyes... Nana gasped in realization, cheeks heating up even more. Could it be... Could it be...

            Could it be that Mir was seriously in love with her? Nana's heart skipped a beat at that thought but she instantly shook her head. No, it couldn't be. She thought about this for a few times in this two years but it didn't sound that convincing to her.

            Maybe because Mir was still a child in Nana's eyes. A child couldn't love. Not that kind of love. This was just an admiration. Like Mir had said on their first meet, that Mir was her fan. Yeah... Exactly! An admiration...

            But why did this voice of reason in her own mind hurt her heart slightly?

            Admiration, huh?

 

<3 <3 <3

 

It was weekend and Nana dolled herself up with intention to catch Seungho's eyes. She let her long straight blond hair free, lightly passed her shoulder, reaching her slimmed waist. She put on a knee long one piece flora dress that accentuated her model-like figure. Since they were going to beach, a wide round white hat and a large sunglasses with compatible white frame were a must. For her make-up, she went with an innocent almost natural look today. She peered into the mirror, nodding in satisfaction.

            Sound of car horn brought Nana's attention to outside. She looked out through the window and smiled immediately as she recognized Seungho's slick black car. She ran outside, not forgetting her purse and was greeted with a sight of Mir, leaning on the side of the car and for the first time in two years, Nana actually thought that Mir looked really good.

            Mir had gone for a casual yet chick look. He was wearing a large black sunglasses and a dark navy hat which was made to look older that its age. He wore a blue jeans that follow the curve of his long sturdy legs, a simple thin undershirt and a red checker jacket over it. It wasn't anything out of ordinary. Mir always dressed this way but maybe it was just Nana who was more aware of Mir right now.

            "You look beautiful." Mir said sweetly, holding up his hand which Nana hold right after, intertwining their fingers together.

            "And so do you." She replied with a small smile.

            Mir rose one brow. "Are you saying I'm beautiful?"

            "Is that wrong?"

            "Well, nothing can be wrong if it's from you. After you, princess." Mir opened the car door for her, letting her in and she watched him rounded the car before getting into the driver seat. "Ready?"

            "READY!"

            At GO's boyish holler from the backseat, Nana jumped while Mir just laughed, already used to such loud noises and laughed even louder as he saw from the rearview mirror how Seungho had taken a small pillow he brought to rest in the car to cover GO's face, muffling each noise coming from the other lad.

            Nana stole glances along the journey, smiling adoringly when she saw Seungho finally falling asleep at the back seat, using the pillow that almost became the killer weapon for GO as his head support. How can he still look so charismatic while sleeping?

            "We're here." Mir said and stepped out of the car, stretching his back. He had found about this private part of the beach from Key. A place that was ideal for idol to date or just simply have a rest from unending attention of public eyes.

            Mir hold Nana's hand and took her under the shade of one of the trees and though Nana was disappointed that Seungho didn't follow them, instead went off with GO to somewhere, she tried hard not to pout.

            They sat there, simply enjoying the peaceful scenery and silent company of each other until Mir was the one to spoke first. "Nana."

            Nana blinked. She was a bit taken aback at the way Mir called her stage name. Mir had always called her with her real name ever since she accepted Mir's confession claiming Nana's real name suit her real character which rarely shown in public.

            "Are you happy?"

            "Huh?" Nana was a bit concerned now and mostly confused as she leaned forward even slightly to peer into Mir's honest eyes which always showed his deepest feeling if you stared enough but Mir was avoiding her eyes. Mir kept his head down and his bangs covering his soft orbs from Nana's watchful eyes.

            "Are you happy?" Mir repeated.

            "Urm... Yes, I am."

            "Because of me?"

            "Well, mostly."

            Mir paused slightly, finally lifting his head but he was looking on his other side, away from Nana. "If we break up, will you be sad?"

            Nana felt shiver run up her spine and felt goosebumps all over her slim frame. She stood up almost immediately, stepping around to stand towering right in front of Mir. "Are you breaking up with me?"

            "Yes."

            "W-why?" Nana closed her shaky fists. She didn't know what she felt, or even what to feel. But she identified one of the feeling that had mixed up with other unknown feeling. Anger.

            "Just because." Mir said, standing as well and looked deep into Nana's eyes.

            And suddenly, those anger was overwhelmed with sadness and Nana felt hot prickling tears at the corner of her eyes. Mir's eyes... Were so cold. She never had seen such coldness in Mir's eyes before. At least not when her own image reflected in Mir's soft brown orbs.

            "Well, I hope we can separate with peace and stay as friend." Mir continued, smiling kindly as he averted his eyes away and patted Nana's shoulder.

            However, Mir's touch on her shoulder no longer give a sense of being love to Nana. It just felt like friendly touch from a friend.

            "Are you kidding me?" Finally a fat droplet of tear fall down her smooth cheeks and later, her face were wet with leaking tears.

            "I'm sorry Nana. This is the best for us. Two years..." Mir swallowed, and somehow, his face seemed to turn paler as seconds passed. "Two years is long enough. Is good enough for me."

            Nana choked a sob. "You're taking me to a date just to tell me this?"

            "Our last date. I was planning to have a proper date for the rest of the day and break this out to you after it ends but I guess... Maybe this way is better after all."

            Nana scoffed. "A last date? For what? Because you feel guilty? Or is it sympathy?"

            Mir sighed. "I knew you would have thought so. That's why I decided against it and do this now."

            "Why?"

            "I don't have to tell you the reason." Mir answered truthfully.

            "You just said I'm beautiful."

            "That's because you are."

            The indifference in Mir's voice brought Nana to this question. "Did you even love me?" Nana wiped away her tears and it froze her blood when she caught hurt flash across Mir's face at her question though it disappeared just right after.

            "I do." He answered, barely heard above the salty breeze from the sea. "I'm going back by taxi. I've called one. You can go back with Seungho." Mir raised his hand as if he wanted to reach Nana, but stopped halfway, he looked hesitant and he pulled back his hand, letting it fall limp on his side. "Please be happy." He whispered and if Nana hadn't been paying undivided attention on him, Nana might have missed those words and the word after. "Goodbye."

 

<3 <3 <3

 

"Jinah! What's wrong?" Nana looked up at that voice, seeing blurry image of Seungho running towards her. She had long fell sitting on the sandy ground after Mir had left. Just crying and crying. She didn't know why she was so hurt over this break up. It wasn't like she loves Mir... Right?

            Seungho kneeled beside the young girl and rounded his arm around her shoulder, trying to help her up but stopped dead when Nana pulled him down and buried her tear-streaken face on his chest. Awkwardly, he just stayed still there like a stone statue.

            It must be this right? It must have hurt because after this, I wouldn't have reason to meet Seungho. It must be this right? It must be this reason why I'm crying so much. Why it hurts so much.

            Seungho patted on Nana's shaky shoulder comfortingly as he listened to his dongsaeng's lover sobs. He wondered what the hell could have happened for this usually calm and collected even sometimes ice-cold girl to cry this way. And where the hell Mir had gone to, leaving his girlfriend crying alone this way.

            Nana fisted on the front of Seungho's shirt, trying to stop her tears. She felt the comforting touch on her shoulder but this wasn't it. It's different. It's different from Cheolyong.

            "Hey, come on. Talk to me. What's wrong? Where's Cheolyong?"

            When Mir's name passed Seungho's lips, Nana's sobs just racking the girl's slim figure even worse and somehow, it gave Seungho slight idea on what could have been the reason to this situation right now. Or at least who the reason is.

            "It's Cheolyong, right? He makes you cry. What did he do?" Seungho asked, gripping on Nana's shoulder and shook her slightly. Nana just shook her head as her voice failed her. Seungho gritted his teeth. "Bang Cheolyong!" He seethed, standing up and pulling Nana with her. "We're going to find him and when we do, I'll beat him up for making you cry."

            Nana would have stopped Seungho if only she had enough leftover energy after all those crying but all she could do was letting Seungho dragged her around in search for her now ex-boyfriend.

 

<3 <3 <3

 

"Did you send him off?"

            GO turned around, lips still glued to his glass of lemon frizzy as he looked back to Mir who was dragging his legs towards him who was sitting at this small shack of this beach bar. Mir slid onto the empty seat next to GO.

            "I did." GO stared long enough until Mir looked back at him. "Do you want a hug?"

            Mir smiled. A sad smile. "No thanks. I've called a cab. It will be here in any minute. Let's go-" Mir was cut off when GO stood up and pulled him by arm and he was engulfed into a warm embrace. When he felt soft caress on his hair, he couldn't help the tears welling in his eyes and eventually falling down his face.

            "You're such an idiot. I don't even know why I agree to help you with this."

            "She'll be happy this way." Mir muttered, voice slightly muffled into GO's shirt.

            "Are you happy?" GO asked, pulling away to have their eyes met in a long gaze.

            "Two years are long enough for me. It's good enough."

            "Don't lie." GO said, gently wiping away Mir's tears.

            "I wish I have a chance to wipe away her tears. She cried so much." Mir finally released a loud sobs. "I want to touch her. I really want but I was afraid I would have broken my facade once I touch her. I was afraid I would stop and kneeled, pleading for her not to leave me and stay forever by my side." Mir hiccuped. "Even though she loves Seungho hyung."

            "Oh, my poor maknae." GO sighed, petting Mir's head when the younger cried like a small child before his eyes.

            "S-she accepted me because of Seungho hyung. I-I always knew that. But I thought. I t-thought that if I tried hard enough, she would finally see me. But in her eyes, there's only Seungho hyung. She never smiles the way she did when Seungho hyung wasn't there with her. I tried to make her laugh but she laughed harder at Seungho hyung's simple words. She smiled more with Seungho."

            "Shhh... It's okay." GO pulled Mir into another warm hug, rubbing the boy's back with a gentle hand.

            "She always have that cool mask on." Mir chuckled slightly but his sobs killed off the small laugh and his face scrunched up even more. "But, she's really adorable. She got easily flustered and hyung. Byunghee hyung."

            "Hmm?" GO hummed, showing he was listening even though Mir was simply rambling random things about Nana right at this moment.

            "Have you seen her blush? She is just such a sweetie. B-but... It was always because of Seungho hyung. I know I am never her ideal type of man. But I have tried. Being with her. Knowing how clumsy and emotional she can be, I became more mature and calm. I just want to treasure her. But I wasn't what she want. I'm unwanted."

            "Of course you're not Cheolyong. You're not unwanted."

            "I-if Seungho learned about her adorable side, he will fall hard for her." Mir tried to sound happy but the pain was too much for him. "She'll be happy."

            "Will you be?"

            Mir gasped at that unmistaken voice though now it sounded weaker than usual. Wavering, threatening to crack. Mir pulled away from GO only to see Nana looking back at him with wet red eyes. Seungho standing not far off, looking down in guilt even when it wasn't even his fault.

            Mir quickly rubbed his wet face with the sleeves of his jacket, looking down at his feet. "What did you hear?"

            "You said, I do."

            "What?"

            Nana smiled weakly, approaching closer to Mir and kept going on even when Mir was backing away from her. "You said, I do, when I asked if you ever did love me. You do love me. Still?"

            "I do love you." Mir gave in when Nana's hands cupped his cheeks. One touch. Just one touch could make him give everything he had to this lady.

            "Two years... Is it really enough?" Nana kept asking.

            "Even forever will never be enough." Mir whispered, closing his eyes in defeat. There was no other way that speaking the truth. Not when Nana was this close and was hoping for his honesty. Even if it was his life this girl want from him, he would never hesitate to hand it over.

            "It hurts." She whispered and Mir opened his eyes again. It seemed that they share the same pain. "I keep thinking. Why would it hurts this much? There's only one reason. Because... I love you."

            It felt like all the pain gnawing through Mir's being disappeared just like that. Those three words healed all the wounds that had littered around his battered damaged heart, fixing it in one beat.

            "I love you."

            It took Mir longer than he thought to process those words though his heart immediately responded to those words. "B-but Seungho-"

            "Two years... Two years... You have been looking at me with those gentle eyes. Two years, you have been slowly stealing my heart piece by piece and now, without even I'm realizing it, you have been holding on to my heart." Nana chuckled lightly. "You little thief. And when I thought you're the clueless one, it had always been me."

            "But I..." Mir stopped himself as he felt his own tongue numbed away.

            "You are everything I want." Nana said. "I've been deceiving myself. Can you forgive me for that?"

            "How can I not? I love you." Mir said after a long silence, sealing their love with a tender kiss. It was simple and sweet just like Mir himself. They giggled quietly when they realized that both of them had been crying like a child over each other. But it was worth it.

            "Why am I even got dragged into this?" Seungho groaned, glaring at GO who just laughed and looking back at the couple with proud eyes.

            "Sorry. But you're needed in my scheme." GO said.

            "If Injung knows about this, she'll beat me up."

            "It's not like you end up with Nana anyway. And thank you for keeping the fact that you are dating Soyeon as a secret. Otherwise Cheolyong would never try to give up on Nana and Nana would never realize her true feelings. I know Cheolyong is not clueless. But, he definitely lack of self esteem. He just can't believe Nana would fall for him even after all these years. Aigoo~ This pabo maknae."

            Seungho narrowed his eyes at GO. "Oh wow! Now you're the cupid." He said dryly. "So much power in other people's love affair but why do I heard from Nana that Jooyeon still very much pissed off from you flirting with other girls?"

            "Jooyeon... Is special case." GO grinned sheepishly before turning back to Mir and Nana who was now holding a loving gaze with each other with sweet smiles on their lips, a silent conversation that only two of them understood. "Now kids. Let's just have a drink, my lemon frizzy is getting warm." He broke those two and put them on each of his side. "No more lovey dovey action-" Mir opened his mouth to protest but GO cut him off. "Ah-ah! Listen to your umma."

            The couple pouted while Seungho raised a thumb at GO, mouthing 'Nice'. But when Mir caught Nana's loving gaze, nothing matter anymore since Nana now had the same look as his own when they looked at each other.

            It's what we would call love...