Making long distance work

Making long distance work

When I answered his Skype call Jaebum sat placing his chin on the table.

“Hey.” I waved at him sipping my coffee.

“New haircut?” He sat straight up and messed his hair up with a smile.

“Yeah. I wanted to show you today. I got it two days ago.”

“Looks nice. You’re at the dorm?”

“I’m actually at home. My parents are already asleep. We got a day off.”

I clapped happily. GOT7 hadn’t had a day off in quite a while.

“My mother opened a new pot kimchi today so I sent some. And Yugyeom’s mother’s gift pillow with it. They should come in a few days.” Jaebum checked the time on his phone.

“I can send you something too. Any ideas?”

“A sweater? I can’t seem to find any comfy and cheap ones here.”

“Sure.” I wrote it down in my phone.

Our Skype conversations were usually not very long. Jaebum was always very tired and the time difference prevented us from finding a suitable hour.

“I know I promised to chat today but…”

“Sleepy?” I finished his sentence.

“Mm. It was a busy day.” Jaebum yawned.

“It’s OK. I have stuff to do anyways. We can Skype tomorrow.”

“Goodnight.” He blew me a kiss.

“It’s daytime here, Jae. But goodnight to you too.” We both smiled and ended the call.

I stretched and then sat back down to finish some assignments. Jaebum sent me a sleepy selca which brought a smile to my face.

 

The next day Jaebum looked more energetic.

“Do you have any more days off soon? I could come.” We both were eating. Jaebum rarely got to enjoy his mother’s cooking.

“You know I can’t tell now. They don’t inform us early on. I could ask. But if we got a day off now, I don’t think more are coming soon.”

“Maybe you have a less packed schedule some time?” He raised his pointing finger.

“Let me check.”

He scrolled through GOT7’s schedule thoroughly. I heard my roommate call me from the living room.

“Be right back.”

When I came back Jaebum was already finished with his meal.

“In three weeks I have four days in a row where it is only one broadcast and practice. But will you get tickets?” Jaebum took his laptop from the table and settled down on the bed with the computer in his lap.

“Maybe. Well, in three weeks I will be presenting some stuff in the university…”

“It’s alright. I’m sure there will be other occasions for us to meet.” The sparkle in his eyes died down but Jaebum was still smiling.

“I could try presenting it early though. I did it a few times and the professor didn’t mind.”

“Really?” He couldn’t manage to hide his excitement. “Can I check for plane tickets?” I shrugged.

We shared casual conversations while Jaebum looked for a ticket. He told me about their plans for a world tour and a collaboration stage. He was always quite interested in my studies so I told him a bit about that.

“You could come a day early. But then I won’t be able to pick you up. And you probably won’t see me that day.”

“It’s fine. I’ll be jetlagged for sure anyways. And the flight back?”

“Five days after. On my last less packed day.” Jaebum looked at me questioningly.

“OK then. I’ll make it work somehow.”

“Can I buy it then?” He was still grinning. I nodded. For a few minutes it was quiet as Jaebum was paying for the tickets. Suddenly he jumped from the bed and I heard a loud “YES!” in the background. It made me chuckle.

“I can’t believe I’m finally going to see you. After seven months.” Jaebum was always this happy about our meetings. “I miss you, babe.”

“I miss you too, Jae. Just don’t drive the other members crazy during those three weeks.”

 

O had just stepped out of the plane and was waiting for my luggage. Because it was nighttime where I flew from I was barely keeping my eyes open. Even though Jaebum couldn’t come he made sure to get me a taxi and pay for it in advance. I texted him and got in the car.

Seoul. It always felt like I belonged in that city. A 24/7 lifestyle and yummy spicy food. A city which was very safe but drunk in the evenings (not that I like alcohol). I waited for the day I could move into one of the apartments there.

After getting to the hotel all I could do was sleep. When Jaebum had holidays I would stay at his parents’ but this time he was still busy so I had to choose a hotel.

I was awoken by a call.

“Jaebum, it’s 9am. I am still dead sleepy…”

“Sorry, babe. I just really want to see you. I’ll pick you up in an hour and you can sleep at our dorm all you want, key?” I mumbled in agreement and got out of bed.

He wasn’t lying. In an hour I got a text ‘Waiting for you’. It took me a few minutes to finish my ‘breakfast’ which was an apple.

When I reached the lobby my eyes instantly met his brown orbs. He stood up from the sofa and headed towards me with open arms and I wide grin.

“Hi.” I buried my face in his chest. Jaebum planted a million kisses on the top of my head. Jaebum never kissed me on the lips in public since we didn’t want such pictures to show up in the articles. “Feels so good to finally hug you.” Do you want breakfast?”

“Yes, please.”

“Ok then. Let’s go.” He took me to a salad bar because I didn’t feel like eating anything heavy. While I ate he sat side hugging me and planting occasional kisses on my shoulder. We got to talk to each other almost every day, however skin ship was rear. For this reason, our meetings started off in silence but with Jaebum not letting me go from his hands.

“When are your schedules?” I asked him when we were heading for the dorm.

“In two hours. That is why I picked you up. You can sleep until we’re back. And Coco won’t feel lonely.” He smiled at me shortly before directing his gaze back on the road.

The other members greeted me happily. I had missed them as well but unfortunately they had to leave for a music show recording. Jaebum led me into his room. I sat on the bed and he closed the door.

“We’ll be back in about five hours. I will bring back lunch so don’t worry.” I nodded. Jaebum kissed me on the lips. “Now rest.” I watched him gather a few things. He pecked my forehead before leaving. “Bye.” He winked at me and left.

It was hard not seeing Jaebum often. But these kind of visits payed back for all of it. After all, we knew that one day the long distance will stop bothering us.