First Meeting

We're Soaring Now

It felt as though I had only managed to catch a few minutes of sleep when my alarm clock began to drone noisily by my side, shaking me out of what had been a dreamless sleep. Lifting my head from the dent in my pillow, I gazed lazily at my surroundings with half-lidded eyes; it never even occurred to me that the sun was up, considering the mess of curtains that barred any light from entering my room. Well, I never had been a morning person.

Pulling a hand from the confines of my sheets, I d blindly around the table near my bed until I found the snooze button and tapped that with authority before burying my face back into the covers, fully intent on lulling myself back into peaceful, serene nothingness... Alas, the universe appeared to have other plans.

A sudden pounding on my door caused me to flinch, but I soon relaxed at the sound of the following voice. "Minki, get the hell up, already. You're going to be late." Typical, that Minseok had already risen long before me. He was that type of elder brother.

With a deep sigh, I let myself fall limp against the bed, moving some stray blond hair out of my eyes; there wasn't a single bone in my body that was prepared to face this day, and no, not just because it was a Monday and therefore the first school day of the week. Today was far more sinister.

My particular high school, Pledis High, had always been the type of place that felt seniors were supposed to be roll models to the younger generation, and that they were the ones who needed to make examples for others. They valued perfect conduct, basically, and sometimes they felt the need to show off how brilliant their own students were whenever a new school year began. 

When the new batch of freshman arrived, it was the seniors' task to guide them through the school and give them something of a tour, both regarding the academy itself, as well as proper behavior fitting of a PH student. Sometimes, a few lucky ones were even given permission to follow us throughout our day, sitting with us in class and learning first-hand how a high schooler went about his business.

Now, these kinds of social gimmicks weren't limited to just freshman. With the surprising influx of transfer and foreign exchange students we've been receiving, it was the school administration's decision to offer each and every new slice of meat the priveledge of being escorted to and from their classes with a trustworthy senior classmate at their side. Because, apparently, they need babysitters.

And it just so happens that I, Choi Minki, had recently been selected to babysit a new scholarship student throughout their school day.

I'd heard very few things about this individual, other than the fact that they'd somehow won admission to Pledis through some pretty outstanding musical skills, but again, that was only what I'd heard. I didn't know their name, race, gender, anything at all. But then again, I didn't really care.

All I knew was that I had to give up my precious, educational time to train a newbie on how to tie his shoelaces and kiss his professor's .

True, I was getting an A+ in Government for this, but that isn't the point.

I just didn't understand why a member of the staff or the class president couldn't deal with this instead of me, it was going to be so boring having someone following me around all day like a lost dog. Did they have to sit with me at lunch, too? That would be so awkward... Especially with how much I eat. I don't think anybody would want to witness that kind of spectacle.

Now, you might be wondering why a high school would be offering scholarships. This is unique to Pledis only, because as a privately run institution, its student body is a select group of youths who had been deemed worthy enough, in terms of talent, to study here in order to better themselves and their future.

For instance, if a fifteen year old girl were to win a high ranking cooking competition, and become renowned as an up-and-coming chef, she could be granted access to our school through a home and careers scholarship that could later be transferred to a culinary school. It was all skill and hard work that brought you here.

Of course, there's also a downside to this.

There are actually quite a few students here who's supposed "talents" are just years of their parents throwing them into some unwanted hobby so they could brag about their child being accepted to such a place. It bothers me to say it, but a lot of kids don't even like what they do, or have any passion for it at all. For most, it's just a way to please their parents or be accepted to better colleges or even become famous. That's all it was, a meal ticket.

My thoughts were interrupted by another round of banging on my bedroom door, nearly scaring the out of me. I was about to shout out some choice words when my brother's voice reached me again. "Minki, what on earth are you doing in there?? It's seven o'clock!!"...

... Oh.

With lightening speed, I practically threw myself out of bed, chanting '' in my mind over and over as I raced to get changed. Even now I continued to amaze myself with how late I slept in, with my first class of the day starting in a mere half an hour.

Groaning aloud, I scrambled together an outfit out of whatever was near me at the time, which happened to be a pair of black skinnies, black converse, a black hoodie and... A t-shirt covered in pictures of rainbow colored waffles. What the --?

No, I don't have time to question how this got in my closet. I need to accept it. This shirt is a part of me now.

Once my backpack was secured on my shoulders, I yanked a comb through my hair, kissed my brother goodbye and grabbed a banana out of a bowl in the kitchen-- this was meant to be my breakfast, sort of-- before flying out of the house faster than a cheetah on steroids. Thankfully, the condo my family and I lived in wasn't so far from the school; only about three blocks, or so.

Pledis was actually a fairly quaint school, only two buildings in size. One building was the main, where the cafeteria, library, and the auditorium were all held; this was the building where sophomores, juniors, and seniors would spend most of their day, while the freshman were often confined to the second and newer building, commonly known as The Annex. 

I was never sure why we'd been split up in this way, since it was somewhat unfair, but I'd since grown used to it. It was considered normal, now.

Speaking of  what was considered normal, it finally occurred to me what a strange time this was to continue accepting transfers. It was already, what, March? April?? The year was more than half over, and we were already studying for finals. Anyone admitted now would probably be incredibly behind, and would probably have to attend extra courses in order to make up the credit.

Whoever this student is, they must be a big deal for the school to cast all of that aside and allow them entry anyway. I don't think even colleges are that lenient.

Blinking the sleep from my eyes, I sped down the street outside of my neighborhood, the quickest route to get to the school. The combination of the wind hitting my face and the threat of suspension if I manage to arrive late again was surprisingly sobering, and thankfully, I'd managed to come up to the front entrance at least ten minutes before the late bell rang.

I wasn't going to mention that I had to dodge quite a few cars in the progress.

Panting from lack of breath and probably sweating like crazy wasn't exactly how I planned to start the day, but at this point there wasn't much I could do about it. Pushing the double doors open, I was instantly greeted by a sweet, air conditioned breeze, along with the buzz of over two thousand students pacing through the halls in a lazed effort to make it to first period.

Although my locker was directly off to the side, I headed straight for the main office, where I was directed to appear in order to shake hands with the exchange student that would be accompanying me for today. I ran a hand through my hair, stringy and unkempt from my hurried morning and reluctantly walked in the direction of my destination, only to be stopped by a hand on my shoulder.

"Ren, what happened to you? You're a mess. And what's up with the shirt...?" My closest friend, Aron, asked, pulling me off to the side whilst sporting one of those mischievous smirks of his. I'd known him for what was probably six years now, and knew more about him than even his own parents. Sad, really, but true.

He'd actually been born in America, and grew up there until he was about ten years old. By then, he was fluent in both English and Korean, and so his mother moved his siblings to South Korea to allow them a richer heritage. Or, so she says, I'm pretty sure she just couldn't stand American teenagers.

Massaging my left temple, I rested my weight against a nearby trashcan and hugged my backpack to my chest.

"Don't ask. What're you doing out here, anyway? Shouldn't you be in Seong-su's office by now??"

"I was waiting for you, idiot. I thought you'd be here twenty minutes ago."

"I never told you to wait for me," I huffed, "Now we're both going to be late for class."

It just so happened that Aron was also chosen to give the newbie-tour, which was a joke in its own right considering he wasn't a model student in any sense of the word. This guy was practically famous for pulling pranks and making the teachers' lives a living hell, and this was probably only a last ditch effort to force him to behave. But of course, it wasn't going to work.

"Promise me you won't scar this kid for life." I said, only half fearful.

"What, you think I'm going to cover myself in peanut butter, the entire student body and force him to watch? C'mon, you give me too much credit." Aron grinned, slapping me on the back. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, but can we get a move on? I want to get this over with." The sooner this was done, the better.

"Alright." With that, we made our way to the main and towards the principal's office, the door opening after only a single knock.

I immediately noticed two backs facing us, seated in front of Seong-su's desk with the principal motioning us over with a beckoning finger. "Boys, I expected the two of you here by seven." His tongue clicked, showing half-hearted distaste. "Oh, well. Come on in."

As he stood, the transfer students turned to face us, and one of them instantly caught my eye.

His face was hard, but, it was soft at the same time, which was a strange combination. A strong jaw, sharp eyes, but a look of almost childlike curiosity. He had thick eyebrows, a small nose, and he was very well fit for his size, but it was his hair that struck me the most. It was black, which wasn't unusual, but the sides of his head were close-shaven and the rest of his hair sat atop his head, swept over in a dramatic, almost mohawk-esque style.

That, added with the piercings and even a tattoo on his arm, I was somewhat baffled. Now, this place wasn't exactly strict on appearance, hence the fact that we didn't have school uniforms, but a guy like this? Who's balls did he have to fondle to enroll here??

The boy that sat beside him was slightly more ordinary, with dirty brown hair, fox-like eyes and a cute, small face. He looked all around far less intimidating than the other, and on the inside I was praying that he might be the one I'm supposed to chaperone for today. I feel like I could get along with this one. Or, at the very least, he wouldn't pound my face in if I ignore him altogether.

Unfortunately, it's already been proven that the universe just wasn't on my side today.

"Youngmin, this young man here," Seong-su nudged the brunnette with his hand, "Is Hwang Minhyun. He'll be transferring into the A class, so his schedule should fit nicely with yours. Show him around, help him fit in, and remember, control yourself." 

Although he was obviously trying to be stern, the tired look in his eyes made it clear that he held no expectations. Smart of him.

Aron, on the other hand, only brightened, stepping forward with an outstretched hand as he regarded his new shadow. "Nice to meet you, Minhyun. Please, call me Aron." He sent the other a wink, putting on a face that was meant to express popularity and confidence, but hilariously enough, that front diminished the second Minhyun rose from his chair; the guy was practically a foot taller than Aron.

Taking his hand, Minhyun offered his own smile, only this one was much more genuine. "It's nice to meet you, too, uhm... Aron." He had slight trouble pronouncing the foreign nickname, an alias Aron had picked up during his time in the states. "I hope I don't trouble you too much."

I tried hard to stifle my laughter as Aron swallowed, suddenly nervous, before replying. "Oh, n-no, not at all... Uh... I have, I mean... I like Pokemon." He paused abruptly, flustering up when Minhyun only blinked dumbly in return. "We can play! You know, Pokemon, the game, which I have, on my 3DS." Aron quickly pulls the device from his pocket, snapping it open and showing it to the other. "See? Cool, right?? There's, like, over twenty legendaries in here..."

I'd had a hand clasped over my mouth during this exchange, but a giggle still managed to escape it all the same. 

Sure, it might've been only my imagination, but in that second I was sure as hell that someone was watching me. My gaze turned towards the second student who still sat in front of the principal's desk, though he was busy staring down at his hands, fiddling idly with his fingers. He appeared almost bored.

A chuckle from Minhyun captured my attention again. "Only twenty? You must not have been playing very long."

I raised an eyebrow at this response until, believe it or not, he, too, slid a similar device from the bag that lay over his shoulder, revealing the very same game. "On my account, there're over a hundred legendaries, five hundred shinys, and I probably own at least three of every pokemon from the first to the fifth generation."

Well, .

I finally lost it at the sight of Aron's astonished expression, his jaw practically kissing the floor as he took in the other's words. My face was growing pink with laughter, and I squeezed my eyes shut in an effort to calm myself.

"... Oh. Ohoho." My friend quickly regained his smuggness, that same smirk sliding back onto his face as he crossed his arms over his chest. "I see where this is going. You think you're so hot and nasty because you have me beat in numbers? Well, honey, you haven't seen my dueling skills."

"Are they skills, or just an attempt at denial?" Minhyun replied, smiling.

"Oh, boy, you really do want your kicked, don't you? Well, Mr. Han, it's been nice seeing your beautiful face and liver spots again, but I need to this gentleman to his first class. Lesson one, you challenge me, you die." And with that, Aron threw an arm around Minhyun's shoulders-- As best as he could, considering the height difference-- and the two left the main office together.

And then, it was just me, Seung-su, and thick-eyebrow-guy. Looking down at my feet, I moved some hair behind my ear, running my tongue over my bottom lip as I waited for someone to break the silence. 

"Alright, Choi Minki." The principal addressed me, using a far softer tone than the one he used with Aron. He motioned for the second transfer student to rise, and so he did, and I noticed we were about the same height, with me being about three centimeters taller, if that even mattered. "This is Kang Dongho, he's going to be with you for the entirety of the day. He's a Senior, the same as you, enrolled in the B class. Treat him well."

Dongho finally met my gaze with his own, and to my surprise, he gave me a wide smile. Not the trashy, know-it-all smiles I get from Aron, or the boy next door smiles Minhyun throws, but... A kind smile. A happy, sweet smile. It contrasted with his hard appearance.

Only half hearing Seong-su, I nodded, taking a step forward and offering my hand as well. "It's nice to meet you, Dongho."

With that grin still on his face, his expression softens, and for a moment he resembles a cheerful child. He accepted my hand with his own, which was large, but warm, secure. Soft, even. "The pleasure's all mine. You can call me Baekho, though, if you want. It's what my dad calls me." Woah, even his voice was so different compared to the rest of him. It was higher than I thought it'd be, and had an odd soothing quality to it. I felt instantly relaxed.

"You can call me Ren..." I froze, scrambling for words. "My... Friends call me that." 

Baekho just smiled again.

Inwardly cursing myself for looking so pathetic, I waved a goodbye to Seung-su and walked through the doors with Baekho at my side, seemingly much more relaxed than he did a few minutes ago. We moved silently through the halls as the bell rung again, signaling the beginning of first period. We were late, but I was sure that our professor wouldn't mind, considering the situation.

It only took the sound of our footsteps echoing off the walls that alerted me to the sudden tension in the air. Normally I wouldn't pay this any mind, and continue as though I was the impenetrable, uncaring Choi Minki who did what he pleased and gave zero s. But for some reason, this was different.

I almost felt obligated to say something. I knew first hand that the hardest part of transferring to a new school was finding out where you belonged, and with whom. Nothing was easy when it came to making friends, or even getting comfortable with your new surroundings.

When I was a child living in Busan, my world was that of a small town where everybody knew eachother, and it was easy to get along. Then when my brother's medical venture skyrocketed and my mother craved a change, we resettled here when I was thirteen, and I felt like I was on another planet. It was scary.

Clearing my throat, I turned to him, "So... Where are you from?"

He blinked, "Huh? Oh, I used to live on Jeju with my parents, but we came to Seoul when I received the scholarship."

"So, your whole family came here just so you could attend this school?"

"Basically, yeah."

"Why is that? I mean, I know this school has a reputation for being the birthplace of the country's most talented beings, and everything, but is that really enough for your whole family to abandon your hometown?"

The black-haired man took on an expression of uncertainty, which only further aroused my confusion. "It isn't necessarily about the school itself, but, the people here. This is one of the most prominent high schools in the city, it doesn't have popularity, but it has connections."

"Connections?" I questioned, "What sort of connections?" 

Baekho masked his obvious hesitation with a mask of mirth, waving his hand as if to shake the topic. "Oh, you know, with good colleges, and stuff. It's got a good reputation, is all. It's probably my best option, if I want to get anywhere in life."

"I guess..." As quickly as the conversation began, it soon fell apart, and we were left walking alongside one another in that same silence. Only now, it was less awkward, and I was left feeling unsatisfied with his answers. I remember being told of his supposed musical abilities, what did that have to do with the school's reputation? Was he, perhaps, hoping to get into a prestigious music school? Who knew, honestly. It wasn't my business anyway.

Without further ado, we'd located a section of the school that was commonly known as the "pink hallway," a hallway in the far back of the building that was painted the most disgusting shade of pink. The walls were pink, the floor tiling was pink, even the water fountains were smeared the revolting color.

Unfortunately, this was where the B class had been saddled, so I let Baekho to a classroom that rested far down on the opposite end near a pair of emergency doors and gestured for him to go inside. 

His nerves were clear, so I gave him an assuring grin, and a pat on the back. Grinning himself, he strode inside with newfound confidence, something that made me feel surprisingly better. Like, I hadn't failed him, or something.

The previous chatter soon stilled as the two of us entered, the professor's attention moving from the smartboard to Baekho. 

"Oh, oh! You must be our new transfer student, welcome, welcome. Minki, have him sit beside you, in the back." He pointed to the far side of the room, where I led Baekho to our seats. Mine was just beside the window, which was great for me, since it offered me something else to stare at rather than the random math crap scribbled at the front.

This was usually the point where the transfer and the senior would go their seperate ways, going about their studies and minding their own business. However, just as I had opened a clean page in my notebook to jot down the lesson, or rather, sleep until class ended, I felt someone tap me on the arm.

Looking to the right, I found it was Baekho. "Hey, sorry to bother you," he whispered, "but, do you have a piece of paper I could borrow?"

I blinked. "Oh, sure," without thinking anything of it, I tore off a sheet of paper from the spiral and held it out to him, which he greatfully accepted.

"Thanks." He grinned.

"No problem."

A few more innocent minutes pass, with me getting boreder out of my mind by the second, when I decided to glance towards the other's desk. I thought I would see an array of mathematical equations sprawled here and there, but instead I was met with a horridly and hilariously disfigured doodle of Professor Ryong.

My eyes widened at the sight of the stick figure in all of its glory; bushy mustache, dramatic glasses, I could even make out the single strand of hair on top of his head that, for some reason, never failed to stick up above the rest.

Holding back a snort, I spoke up quietly. "What are you doing?"

Casting me a glance, he giggles. "Oh, you caught me. I don't understand any of this, so I got bored."

"Oh, God." I covered my smile with the back of my hand before leaning over and grabbing his pencil. "Wait, you forgot something."

After I got done scribbling an addition to the picture, he glanced down curiously, another grin spreading over his face as he noticed that I'd made Professor Ryong's about twice its previous size. What could I say? The guy needed to lay off the kimbap.

"Brilliant." He chirped, looking somewhat thoughtful before slipping the pencil out of my hands and scribbling some more, and it took a lot of effort not to laugh out loud when Baekho drew what looked to be a beak on the professor's face, along with a speech bubble that read, '-A-Doodle-Doo!'

We both shared amused glances, beaming at one another as we both continued to add silly bits and pieces to the drawing, and before either of us knew it, the lesson had long since ended and we were left snickering among ourselves in the empty classroom. Despite the fact that we had the rest of the day to endure, I felt relieved, as though I could face it without any problems now.

I knew I was expecting this day to be awful, but to be honest, this was actually a really great start.

 


I'm alive, please don't kill me. I decided to come back with another NU'EST fic, considering the NU'EST fandom's been nonexistant lately.

I hope you guys liked the first chapter! Let me know if I should continue with this. I promise I'll make it worth your while.