Chapter 1

Champagne and White Roses

Kyungsoo's fingers fumbled with the knot of his bowtie, a deep frown carved into his face. Nimble, ringed index fingers joined his own as they fixed the damage he'd already done.


    "Will you stop fussing with that?" Jongdae whispered as his eyebrows knitted in irritation.


    After a moment of observance, Jongdae’s eyebrows lifted, and a satisfied smile played on the corners of his lips. His expressive eyes stared at Kyungsoo as an exasperated sigh left his lips.


    "But I can't stand these," Kyungsoo's soft voice murmured.


    "I know, but you have to. Wedding invitations don't come around very often, especially when it involves our circle of friends."


    A heavy sigh escaped Kyungsoo's nostrils. Jongdae was right. He was always right. One would think he'd know this by now after being with him for so many years. An occasional reminder never hurt though. Jongdae turned back around in his seat, absentmindedly grabbing his glass of champagne as he watched the beautiful couple take their first dance as newlyweds.

 

Kyungsoo watched as the couple slow-danced on the floor, as if they were the only people in the world. Pure love shined in their eyes as smiles and kisses were exchanged. He looked around the room. Everything about this wedding was perfect. The number of guests wasn’t too big or too small--just the right amount of people to retain that intimacy. Festoons of white roses and calla lilies adorned the walls, the remaining roses sitting in crystal vases on the tables. Strings of white lights emitted a magical, golden glow to the ambience of the room. Kyungsoo grabbed his glass of champagne and took a sip, feeling the cold, bubbly liquid run down his throat. His eyes couldn't help but gravitate towards the curly-haired cherub sitting in front of him, gleeful and starry-eyed from the spectacle that was before him. They'd been together for so long, as friends and as lovers. They'd seen each other at their best and worst times. Sure they'd had their fights. He couldn’t count the number of times Jongdae would yell at him to move out, to never speak to him again, only to have Kyungsoo come back, flowers in hand, groveling for forgiveness. A smirk formed on his lips as he leaned in towards Jongdae's back.


    "I love you," he whispered in his ear.


    He watched as Jongdae's ear turned a deep shade of red. The blush spread from his ear to the side of his neck. Without saying a word, Jongdae placed his hand on top of Kyungsoo's which rested on the surface of the table. Fingers interlacing with his, Jongdae gave his hand a tight squeeze in affirmation as he continued to watch the dancing couple. It was in that moment that Kyungsoo knew without a doubt he wanted to spend the rest of his life with this person. Perhaps it had been there all along, submerged deep within his subconscious, but if his brain didn't reveal it to him, his heart most certainly did.