Five Years After "I Love You"

Five Years After "I Love You"

Five Years After “I Love You”

 

His eyes stare right into her heart. An unforgettable pounding starting within. She thought it was over, that she wouldn't be able to feel anything anymore. So why is she so nervous?

 

Her shaky tone didn't help as she let her lyrical voice out to sing to the lyrics, to the tune. No, it was his lyrics and his tune.

 

His gentle fingers quickly hit the button. Taekwoon could she the disappointment in his eyes. "Relax, Leoni."

 

And just with that one word, her eyes begin to search his face for any trace of comfort but there was none. The music started once again and her voice came out sharper than before. But it was never enough for him. Wonshik had always been picky when it came to his music.

 

Taekwoon watch quietly from behind the glass as Wonshik talked with another person. She knew she would be here for a long while, but she didn't really mind. It had been while since a wall of glass had separated them, it had been while since she heard his voice and seen him so well rested.

 

A lot has changed in these past 2 years since they had last spoken. It was too bad Wonshik had grown even more handsome, it made it harder for her to approach him.

 

Around the 7th time of Wonshik stopping her to correct her on the recording, the door to the recording room opened with a bang.

 

A chubby guy wearing glasses and black curly hair strolled in munching on a chip bag. Wonshik snapped around at the noise, "Jaehwan-hyung, please don't disrupt me during working hours."

 

Jaehwan froze and looked around at the staff staring at him. He waved cutely, "Hello, sorry for bothering you. I'll just be back here sitting quietly if you need me." He sat on a couch in the back, still munching his chips, as he watched them.

 

Taekwoon didn't like him one bit, he gave off an uneasy feeling to her. "Are you ready, Leoni?" She was brought back to the present, placing her headphones back on her ears she nodded.

 

Han Sanghee, Leoni's manager, sighed heavily at the singer's nervousness when it came to Wonshik. She has been Leoni's manager long enough to know what had happened between the two, but the shy and serious Leoni is not acting like herself today.

 

Sanghee looked down to scroll through the daily schedule and watching the time constantly. "Hey." She ignored the whisper, "Hey, you're really pretty." Sanghee made a disgusted face at Lee Jaehwan, a.k.a Wonshik's best friend, who is an author of some web comic about a robot named Rovix and six superheroes. She has met Jaehwan a couple of times through connections with Wonshik but she still can't believe the guy still tries to flirt with her.

 

"And your an idiot!" She whispered harshly back only to be replied by a small cheery laugh.

 

"Han Sanghee, I know you like me~!" He pointed at her while making a cute voice.

 

Sanghee groaned she despised these kinds of things, "Lee Jaehwan, I could care less about you right now." She check the time again noticing that she'll be stuck with Jaehwan for the next few hours. Sanghee groaned at the thought.

 

"Sorry I'm late!" A voice chimed happily once the door had opened again and in stepped in N-mi, another artist who was to be collaborating with Leoni. Along with the pretty artist came the handsome actor, Lee Hongbin, who has rumored to be dating N-mi. Of course, the two deny it but everyone knows it's the truth. The two walk in hand-in-hand and Leoni perks up at her entrance.

 

Wonshik slowly stares at her with a stern expression, "N-mi, this isn't just for fun. You can’t skip out and come in wherever you want. Do you want me to tell everybody about your love life?" The producer looked down at their joined hands, the obvious couple instantly let go and turned an unusual shade of red.

 

"I have to go now, N-mi. Call me later?" Hongbin spoke softly and Hakyeon just lights up her shining grin and nodded to him, whispering something back to him as he left.

 

Taekwoon watched the interaction from behind the glass window. A sudden feeling of emptiness snuck up on her as she remembered how it felt to hold hands with a loved one. Hakyeon sure is lucky.

 

The said female bounced happily into the room. Taekwoon couldn't help returning her smile,  Hakyeon is an old same age friend of hers, no matter how much the two were polar opposites. Hakyeon had brains, beauty, and the strength. Taekwoon admired Hakyeon’s confidence in everything she does, she was the one who had helped Taekwoon through her troubling past and has been encouraging to her ever since. The two have been through everything together and now their dream of being able to sing together is finally coming true.

 

That's why Taekwoon what was coming when Hakyeon lowered her voice, "Are you alright?" The younger girl only nodded to her friend, Hakyeon had been there two years ago when the split happened and knows how much it affects her to this day. But she will stay strong and fight through it together with Hakyeon by her side.

 

Taekwoon only gave her a short nod with a soft smile and Hakyeon just patted her shoulder in an understanding way before placing the headphones on and turning towards Wonshik, "We're ready."

 

Taekwoon placed the headphones on top of her head. "Okay. 3....2...1..".

 

A soothing tune filled their ears.

 


 

“You were really great today, Hakyeon.” Taekwoon spoke softly from the other side of the table.

 

Hakyeon placed down her glass, “You really think so?”

 

Taekwoon nodded turning the meat over as they cooked. “Your voice was amazingly clear today.”

 

Hakyeon raised an eyebrow at her friend and leaned in closer to her, “Taekwoon, you're not upset and jealous that I didn’t get any complaints from Wonshik and you happened to get scolded the most?”

 

She watched as Taekwoon silently slowed down until she stopped all together, staring at the sizzling meat as she became lost in thought.

 

Hakyeon let out a heavy sigh, “Taekwoon, I know how much you loved him but you got to let him go already. It’s been two years now and I still can’t believe you are still hung up on that jerk.”

 

“Wonshik isn’t a jerk.”

 

Hakyeon frowned, “After everything you still believe that he isn’t. I’m sorry, Taekwoon.”

 

The long silence rapidly developed between them as they ate their meal together in a now tense atmosphere.

 

Hakyeon really thought she knew what was best for her friend but Taekwoon knew the real truth. In those shining starlight nights with only his gentle words and soft, lovely eyes full of affection and promises. In those moments Taekwoon had known the true Wonshik, the gentle one and clumsy one, that hid behind an cool and serious mask. She had been the only one to break down his walls while he was the first guy to see her genuine and radiant smile. She had thought he had been the one, the one that would be able to gently hold her heart in his hands for all eternity. She had been so naive that she never thought the day he would leave her and become so cold to her would come.

 

But no matter how hard the people close to her pointed out his flaws and told her to look at all the times he had been a jerk to her. She could only remember the warm starry nights where they could reveal their true selves to each other and believe their love was right.

 


 

Taekwoon blinked slowly up at the rainy sky thinking back to when times were different, when a warm hand held hers and protected her from the rain that poured down. Hakyeon had gone home for the night and her apartment happened to be close to the restaurant where they ate, she had invited Taekwoon to spend the night.

 

But Taekwoon had only to decline because then her little kitty would be all scared and alone and she couldn’t let that happen.

 

Rapid footsteps neared the bus stop that she had to be under and she looked over to spot the approaching figure. He stopped right beside her, drenched from the rain and taking deep breaths as he hunched over, appearing to have ran for cover.

 

Taekwoon’s eyes widen as she realized who the man really was. He looked up a second later catching her eyes as her heart skipped a beat. She looked away almost immediately as Wonshik straightened up avoiding to even glance in her direction. A heavy atmosphere settled between them and Taekwoon wondered how everything had gone wrong.

 

Wonshik lightly bit his lip, touching the back of his ear nervously. It had been two long years since the two of them had been in such close proximity to each other without others around.

 

He softly glanced to his right, watching as the older girl stared up at the crying sky with deep brown eyes. He had missed those calm and beautiful eyes of hers.

 

Wonshik looked away trying to calm his racing pulse and remind himself that they were over, they weren’t together anymore. Even if his heart ached at the thought nothing could be changed.

 

Wonshik looked at his watch and wondered why the bus was so late. He felt restless and uneasy just being alone with her. And he felt like he might spout out something in a second that he never wanted to be said.

 

“You are doing well, I see.” Her soft gentle voice was the first to break through the silence of the pounding rain. He looked over to her again noticing that she hasn’t even took one glance away from the sky.

 

He looked away, down at the ground in front of him watching as puddles formed in the streets. “Yeah, I am. I suppose you are doing well too.”

 

Wonshik didn’t have to look to know that she only gave a silent nod, he knew her too well.

 

“Why does the sky cry? Maybe it’s because the sky is sad, sad that the most important thing in their lives is leaving them.”

 

Wonshik felt pain in his heart from her words. He had never wanted to leave her but he had no choice. “Taek-”

 

She turned to him with a sad smile, watching one tear glide down her soft cheek. “Goodbye, Wonshik.”

 

The bus pulled up at just that moment. Thier eyes met for just a second before Taekwoon boarded the bus. Wonshik stood still knowing he could never go after her not after those words. He silently watched as the bus moved into the distance. Silent tears blurring his vision.

 

Taekwoon had said goodbye to him. That was all it took for Wonshik to remember that day he had left her. She had cried silently and had never begged him to stay. He had treated her so coldly that day. But she would never know the intense pain he felt leaving her knowing she would come to despise or hate him and never want to see him again. After two years, Taekwoon finally has let go of her feelings. And he should do the same.

 

“Jaehwan, can you come pick me up. I’m staying over at your house tonight.”

 


 

Jaehwan frowned as he watched his best friend, Wonshik, knock back another drink. It was obvious the other was feeling down from meeting Taekwoon face to face after all this time but to be drinking this much, Jaehwan wonders if something had happened between the two.

 

“Wonshik, is this about Taekwoon?”

 

Jaehwan watched as Wonshik slowly placed his cup down. It was almost as if Wonshik had no life left in him. “She told me goodbye.”

 

The house almost became as still and quiet as the sudden statement ran through their minds. “Didn't you guys break up two years ago. Why would you be depressed about something like that now?”

 

Jaehwan wasn’t stupid he knew Wonshik still loved Taekwoon dearly. That’s why he came to support his friend in the studio earlier that day, even when his own deadline for his comic was coming up fast.

 

“I….I still have feelings for her, Jaehwan. She was my only one. The one that I was going to marry and live happily ever after with. It’s my own fault….I’m the one who caused all this.” Wonshik said as he wept.

 

Jaehwa suddenly felt bad but also was confused. He had known the two had broke up but he hadn’t known under what circumstances that they had to. He had always thought Taekwoon was the one to break up when Wonshik came to him and cried his heart out. But he just couldn’t believe it was Wonshik who had started this whole mess.

 

“Idiot, why would you go and break up with her? You two were made for each other.” Jaehwan muttered quietly as Wonshik continued to weep.

 

Jaehwan hugged his friend close to him. Knowing that whatever had made Wonshik give up the love of his life, it had to be something serious.

 


 

Taekwoon stared out the window watching as the droplets slid down the window pane. She curled up more, placing her head on her arms as she let out a long sigh.

 

“Meow?”

 

Her little gray kitty meowed worriedly at her from beside her and Taekwoon found herself letting out a light chuckle, “I’m alright.” She moved sitting cross-legged to let her little kitty lay comfortably on her lap.

 

As she softly her cat she let out a purr. Taekwoon smiled at that, her cat really was trying to help her feel better.

 

As the rain begin to pour down much more her cat looked up at the window. A second later Taekwoon found her pawing at the window. Letting out a giggle, “Do you like the sound of the rain?”

 

Her cat responded with her own delightful purr. Taekwoon gazed out into the rain again with sad eyes and a sad smile, “Wonshik, had always liked the rain too.”

 


 

“Hongbin, do you have anything to say about it?” Hakyeon asked as they cuddled on the couch watching a movie they had already seen thousands of times before.

 

“Well I don’t really know Wonshik and I only know Jaehwa from what you say. I don’t know much about their relationship.”

 

“Aren’t you and Wonshik the same age?”

 

“We are but we work in different types of jobs. He makes music and I act in dramas. There is no way I would be running into him while acting.”

 

Hakyeon softly nodded, “True.”

 

“Besides the only things I hear about him is rumors that make him look bad.”

 

They quietly laid there for a while. Hongbin softly rubbing his fingertips over the slightly exposed part of her skin.

 

Hakyeon hummed softly in relaxation, enjoying the peaceful time they have together in their hectic schedules. “I love you, Hongbin.”

 

He affectionately smiled, even if she couldn’t see it, he pulled her even more closer, “I love you, Hakyeon.”

 

Hakyeon placed her hand gently on where Hongbin’s laid at her waist. “Promise me you won’t ever leave me.” Her voice was so smooth and so soft, and Hongbin could hear the slight fear she had of their future.

 

He turned her around in his arms to face him, giving her a sweet smile. Thier lips just a breath away, “I won’t ever leave you. I love you too much.”

 

Hakyeon smiled happily at that. Her hands coming up to wrap around his neck so she could pull him down closer to her lips. Luckily she had remembered to wear the strawberry lip gloss today.

 

Jaehwan watched quietly as his friend snored loudly on his own bed. His mind cycling through all the things that he just figured out recently. He has to do something about this or it’ll only become worse.

 

“Sanghee, I need to ask you for a favor.”

 

“What do you want this time, Jaehwan.”

 

“Nothing. I just need you to schedule a meeting for Taekwoon at the local cafe tomorrow afternoon.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Don’t ask. Just do it.”

 


 

Taekwoon walked into the small cafe, Sanghee right behind her. Taekwoon looked around the small cafe, “So where is the meeting suppose to be at?”

 

Suddenly a certain man caught her eye as he waved his hands above his head, trying to grab her attention.

 

Luckily there was just a few people in the cafe during these early morning hours so nobody really noticed as much but Taekwoon still felt the urge to pull her cap down more to cover her face.

 

Just before Taekwoon could ask Sanghee why she was meeting Jaehwan, Sanghee told her to make it quick and that they had to be leaving in ten minutes for her next schedule.

 

Taekwoon nodded, still confused over the whole situation, she walked over to the table where Jaehwan sat in the corner. Taekwoon has never liked being around Jaehwan, because of his sloppiness and being too goofy, but he was Wonshik’s loyal friend so she had learned to get use to him during her time as Wonshik’s girlfriend.

 

Taekwoon frowned at the sight of his big goofy grin as she sat down in front of him. “You have ten minutes, Jaehwan.”

 

Jaehwan only nodded, his facial expression turning uncharacteristically serious. He looked into her eyes with so much seriousness that Taekwoon wondered what had happened. “Wonshik still loves you, Taekwoon.”

 

Taekwoon felt a quick, sharp pain from the words. Bitterness seeping into her long forgotten wounds. “That’s not true. Wonshik…..he- he doesn’t love me…..not anymore.” Her eyes laid upon the table top, tears of pain threatening to spill over. Her hands clenching as she fought the urge to slap Jaehwan for suggesting such a thing, for playing with her broken heart, and storming off in a rage.

 

Jaehwan knew how much it must hurt her, but it had to be said. “It’s the truth, Taekwoon. I wouldn't have told you if it wasn’t.”

 

“You're a liar. Wonshik is the one told me we were over. He is the one who barely blinks an eye whenever I’m in a room with him now. He’s not like the Wonshik I use to know, the Wonshik that still cared and loved me so long ago.” Taekwoon could almost feel her voice breaking but it wasn’t just her voice, it was her heart as well.

 

“Taekwoon, you gotta believe me. Two years ago-”

 

“Two years ago Wonshik left me heartbroken and never spoke a word to me since.” Taekwoon stood up from her seat and grab her purse, glaring so coldly into Jaehwan's eyes, “Stop bringing up old wounds and worry about yourself, Jaehwan.”

 

Taekwoon turned and walked quickly out of the cafe wanting to be far away from everything that hurt her.

 

Jaehwan watched her leave with sad eyes, knowing he couldn’t stop her, “Wonshik still cries after all this time and it’s only because of you, Taekwoon.”

 

After their conservation, Taekwoon told Sanghee to cancel her whole schedule for today because she didn’t feel good. Sanghee knew not to ask about the meeting but she guessed it must’ve been something related to Wonshik to have Taekwoon feeling this down.

 


 

“Meow~” Taekwoon smiled softly at her cat, petting her as she thought about the conversation she had with Jaehwan.

 

Taekwoon looked over as her phone pinged a soft tune, announcing that she has gotten a new message.

 

Taekwoon frowned as she saw it was from Jaehwan and she wondered what that idiot wanted.

 

‘ Hi, Taekwoon. I got your number from Sanghee. I’m sorry for communicating with you this way. But I knew there would be no other way to tell you this, after you had stormed out of the cafe this morning.’

 

‘I know you might not want to hear this but just please read through everything before you make your decision.’

 

‘I really don’t know how much you loved Wonshik and how much it hurt you when he left, so I apologize for seeming like I’m lying. But, Taekwoon, what I do know is that the night Wonshik left you he came to me crying, telling you two had broken up. Wonshik had never told me the reasons why and, for these past two years, I had always suspected that you were the one that had broken up with him.’

 

‘That night and for the past two years he would always come to me for comfort because he still loved you so much and could never tell you again.’

 

‘It was on the night of you two seeing each other again after two years that I had finally realized the truth. Wonshik came to me again crying and telling me that you had finally said ‘goodbye’ that it was all his fault. I finally understood after all these years that it was never you but Wonshik that had created this whole mess.’

 

‘Taekwoon, I don’t know what happened to between the two of you and I’m not going to meddle. But if Wonshik has still loved you after all this time and Taekwoon if you still love him with all your heart. I want to help you two become happy again. Please talk to Wonshik, I know you may not want to but I don’t like seeing you two hurting yourselves any longer. You two should be happy together.’

 

‘Wonshik must have some reason behind what he did. If not, then why did he leave you?’

 

Taekwoon took her time rereading every sentence and taking time to take in the words. Her mind swarmed with questions with no answers.

 

“Wonshik still loves me?”

 


 

“What should I do, Hakyeon?” Taekwoon asked staring blankly at the floor.

 

Hakyeon turned off Taekwoon’s phone after reading Jaehwan’s text messages, placing the phone on the side table. Hakyeon wrapped her arms around her friend, sitting on the couch next to her, and pulling her into a comforting hug. Hakyeon patted her softly on the back, “I think you should just talk it out.”

 

Taekwoon pulled back from her friend to stare at her, “But I wouldn’t know what to say.”

 

Hakyeon smiled at her, “Yes you do.” She placed a hand over her heart. “Here, in your heart.”

 

“That’s really cheesy, Hakyeon.” Hongbin, who was playing with Taekwoon’s cat in the background, made a sassy side remark to his girlfriend.

 

Hakyeon glared at him, “Oh shut up, Hongbin.”

 

Hongbin laughed at her and it only made Taekwoon come to find the moment hilarious as well giggling with the younger.

 

Hakyeon pouted at them, “Don’t laugh.” But inside she was glad to see Taekwoon still able to crack a smile and laugh after the serious news.

 

After a while, Taekwoon calmed down and smiled at her friend, “I’ll try, Hakyeon. I’ll try talking to Wonshik.”

 

“Good luck.”

 


 

Taekwoon had come back to the recording studio to record a few parts that hadn’t been quite as good for a final piece and she knew Wonshik was probably hoping this was the last time she would have to record. Hakyeon, apparently had done her parts well and didn’t need to come in.

 

It was only her, Wonshik, and Sanghee in one room. It had been a few days since Jaehwan had texted her and her talk with Hakyeon. Taekwoon only hoped nothing went wrong.

 

As she partly listened to Wonshik explain the parts she had to fix she couldn’t help but look him over in a new light. She could now see the dark shadows he had under his eyes and the restless feeling he was having as he played with his pencil.

 

Taekwoon felt hurt at the sight of him looking so unwell. She then remembered today would’ve been their 5th anniversary together which would explain why he was feeling so restless. He wanted to finish this up quickly so he wouldn’t have to see her anymore, so he wouldn’t have to remember how he could’ve been presenting her with flowers and taking her to a nice fancy restaurant to eat today.

 

Taekwoon felt hurt at the thought that he never wanted to see her again after this. And Taekwoon knew that she would have to take the initiative if they were going to get anywhere.

 

Suddenly the door burst open again, announcing the arrival of Jaehwan. But just as surprisingly as his visit was he was suddenly gone in mere seconds with Sanghee in tow.

 

Wonshik and Taekwoon were now alone, just like that rainy night, and Taekwoon knew this was the right time.

 

“....now as I was saying-”

 

“I love you, Wonshik.”

 

Wonshik stopped mid sentence, staring up at his one true love with shocked eyes.

 

Taekwoon fidgeted and she could feel her face turning red. She almost felt like a schoolgirl confessing to her crush, but no, this was Wonshik, her ex-boyfriend of three years that had suddenly left her two years ago for no reason. And now she was going to find the truth behind this mystery.

 

Taekwoon stared into his wonderful deep eyes, “Wonshik, you love me back don’t you?”

 

It took awhile before Wonshik found his senses, “Taekwoon, this isn’t the time.”

 

“This is the time, Wonshik. This is the perfect time. You were….planning on leaving me again...weren’t you?”

 

“Taekwoon…” His eyes, his voice held deep sorrow and she knew she was getting somewhere.

 

“What happened all those days ago when you decided to leave me? What was the reason? You never explained it to me, Wonshik.”

 

“Why do you need to know now?”

 

“Because I still love you! And I can’t forget all our memories together unless you truly tell me you don’t truly love me anymore.” Taekwoon could feel the stinging of the tears that threatened to fall.

 

And all the while Wonshik held his composure, but she could see from his eyes that she was weakening him. She needed to know, to know if everything that Jaehwan told her wasn’t a lie, that Wonshik really did still love her, and if he did, for what reason. She needed to know.

 

Wonshik let out a long sigh, “Do you really want to know?”

 

Taekwoon nodded.

 

Wonshik fidgeted, looking at everything else but her, “Two years ago….the three years we spent together before that day….I really did love you, Taekwoon. Today would’ve been our fifth anniversary right?”

 

As Taekwoon stared into his eyes, full of various emotions, she felt a heavy feeling envelope her, “Wonshik, you remembered….”

 

“Yeah, I did.” He chuckled sadly, “How could I ever forget.”

 

Taekwoon stepped closer to him and reached up to gently touch his cheek, “Wonshik, please tell me the truth.”

 

“I can’t!” He took her hand and moved it away, holding it as gently as he had all those years ago. Taekwoon had missed his touch.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because…...I love you, Taekwoon.” Tears begin to stream down his cheeks and Taekwoon found her heart hurting inside. She felt so confused and hurt.

 

“Then...if you had loved me, then why did you leave?”

 

He looked at her stunned, “Taekwoon?”

 

“I love you isn’t enough anymore, Wonshik! There has to be a very good reason why you left me, but you're hiding it even now! Why….” Taekwoon wrenched her hand away from his, tears streaming down her cheeks, “...Why would you leave me if you had loved me so much! Even an idiot would know to stay and care for the one they love and not ever think of hurting them like this! You are the worse, Wonshik!”

 

Taekwoon yelled those final words in a waterfall of tears, running out of the studio, leaving behind a broken-hearted Wonshik. He had never meant for this to happen and only wanted for things to go back to the way they were.

 

Wonshik watched the empty doorway with red watery eyes. His heart hurt so much but..

.maybe this was for the best. After all, Taekwoon was right. Why would anyone hurt their precious loved one just because they loved them.

 

Maybe Taekwoon will understand his reasoning someday.

 

It had been five years since they both told each other “I love you” but their story had ended like this.

 


Thank you to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes!

I will be uploading a sequel to this in the future which will conclude the story. And will probably upload a bonus oneshot of Haken. So please look forward to that!

Don't forget to leave your thoughts down below in the comment section!