Chapter 05

Heartstopper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♚ ♔ ♚

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Ha Yun gently tapped her knuckles against the door before she opened it and poked her head inside the room. She caught sight of her father sitting up in his bed, watching the news with everyone else, and her heart was elated. “Sang Uk, your daughter is here again!” one of the patients, who had also spent a generous amount of time at the hospital, hollered excitedly. His announcement revealed her presence to the others and Ha Yun stepped inside with a wide grin perched on her lips. She greeted them all with a small bow and her father turned toward her, a warm smile on his own face. What she wouldn’t give to see him smile every day.

Trying not to let her tiredness show, she held up the plastic bag she brought with her and shook it in the air, that generous grin of hers never faltering. “Dad, guess what I have for you today,” she sang. She couldn’t allow him to worry about her. The only thing Ha Yun wanted from the man was for him to stay healthy and, if possible, recover. Then again, having advanced heart failure was not something you could easily bounce back from, especially in her father’s case.

They had discovered it a little too late and by the time the doctors made a diagnosis and broke the news to them, his heart and body were both already too fragile and weak. If only they had realized it sooner. They could have taken measures to prevent it or at least lower the chances of his heart suddenly failing on him. However, there was no time for regrets. Even though it pained Ha Yun to see her father hooked up to a machine, it was better than not seeing him at all. Was it selfish for her to think like this?

“You have such filial children,” the man, who rested in the bed to the left of Sang Uk’s, complimented as Ha Yun skipped over and plopped down beside her father. She made sure to remove her sneakers before she lifted her legs off the linoleum tiles and sat with them crossed like a child.

“Mr Song, next time I’ll bring fresh fruits for you,” she declared while she unpacked the bag. “How does that sound?”

“I like that idea,” he agreed with a loud clap. “Make sure you grab peaches, okay? They’re my favorite.”

Ha Yun looked up, snapped her fingers and pointed at him. “It’s a deal. Peaches it is.”

“What did you bring for me today?” Sang Uk wondered as his daughter handed him a pair of chopsticks. After, she popped the lid open and revealed the treat she had received from the rice cake grandmother who lived in their neighborhood. “Date rice cakes?” The man gasped in awe as he gaped at Ha Yun with sparkling eyes. “How did you know I was craving this?”

“I’m your daughter.” Ha Yun snorted and patted her chest proudly. “If I don’t know you, who would?”

He couldn’t even recall the last time he got to eat these! How could he not be excited? “Is it okay for me to have them though?” he questioned, concerned. He didn’t want her to get into trouble because of him.

“Yes,” she assured. “I asked your doctor beforehand. I wouldn’t have brought it here if you couldn’t. That would just be cruel. Go ahead and try it already.”

Her father nodded and picked a piece up. Before he stuffed it into his mouth, however, he casted a tender look at Ha Yun and placed a hand on her head. “I’m really happy you were able to find a job here, sweetheart. Jeju was so far away.”

♪♪♪ Those words caused her heart to crack a little more as the guilt crashed against her conscience. She hated this. Despite the unpleasant feeling devouring her from the inside out, Ha Yun forced her lips to defy gravity and curve upward. “Me too,” she replied timidly. Sang Uk smiled again and started to eat the rice cake, clueless about his daughter’s dilemma. The desert practically melted in his mouth and the manner in which his eyes twinkled was enough to make Ha Yun forget. “Is it delicious?” she asked. He nodded and plucked another one from the container. “Here, drink some tea with it.” She uncapped the thermal canister and poured him a cup, careful to keep her trembling fingers in check. Was this okay?

After the doctor visited the room to ensure her father’s vitals were where they were supposed to be, Ha Yun bowed to the man and thanked him for his hard work. Sang Uk was tired, like he usually was after he took his medicine, and Ha Yun tugged the blanket up to his chin. “Your father is really fortunate to have you and your siblings.” Mr Song sighed as he thought about his only son who barely frequented him.

Ha Yun shook her head and gazed at the man whom she cherished more than her own life. “No,” she disagreed, voice gentle. “We’re the ones who are lucky to have a dad like him,” she corrected and she meant every single word.

As quickly as she could, Ha Yun made a beeline for the nearest stairwell. When she was sure she was alone, away from prying eyes and ears, her back hit the wall and she slid down to the ground. Now in a crouched position, she hugged her knees and tried to get a hold of herself and her emotions. The tears welled up in her eyes and blurred her vision. She couldn’t cry. She shouldn’t. How was she supposed to tell her father she had been fired from her position back at Jeju? She didn’t have the courage nor will to.

Ha Yun wasn’t fond of lying, but it wasn’t like she was doing so because she enjoyed it. She just didn’t want to upset the man. His heart might not be able to endure it if he found out his daughter was running around, doing part-time jobs at her age. Of course Iseul wanted to tell him, but Ha Yun wouldn’t allow it. It could be seen as a deception, sure, but she didn’t have any ill intentions. As long as her heart was in the right place, that was the only thing that mattered. She was doing this for him. Eventually, Ha Yun will be able to find another stable job but right now they needed the money.

In the restroom, she cupped both of her hands underneath the running water and splashed her face with the cold, brisk liquid. She did that a couple of times and then turned the faucet off and stared at her own reflection. There were dark circles under her eyes and she straightened her stature. She had to keep her head up. It was the only way she’d survive. Next, another woman entered the restroom. She was tall, thin and extremely attractive. Suddenly, Ha Yun became self-conscious as she watched the woman apply a layer of lip gloss.

Seo Woo smacked her lips together and stood back to examine her appearance. She noticed the stranger’s eyes settled on her through the mirror and gave her a polite smile. Ha Yun tried to return the gesture and when she was left alone again, she glanced at herself. Gingerly, she grazed the tips of her fingers against her lips. When was the last time she had even worn lip gloss? She pulled the elastic band confining her hair into a ponytail out and watched her plain, dark brown locks tumble free. What was she doing? A second later, she gathered her hair and tied it back up. She had more important things t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter