midday.

midday.

warning: overuse of parentheses

 

-

 

 

Daehyun sighs loudly. It’s so loud that it’s immediately classified as dramatic. He can’t help it though, It’s only Thursday and he wants it to be Saturday, now he has to suffer through the rest of today and tomorrow before then. He wants in to be Saturday because he and Youngjae made plans. Well ok, they made plans to skype, considering the trip is too long to take for just a measly weekend. But Daehyun would rather see the other over a grainy skype call than not at all and now he’s even more impatient for the weekend than normal. (Youngjae texted him earlier this week saying that he was going to be super busy and that he couldn’t talk all week, hence their scheduled chat.)

 

As he walks from the dining hall with his new friends, Daehyun can’t help but think of Youngjae. He can’t stop himself, especially when they get outside and it’s sunny. Sunshine suits Youngjae, his aura is a happy, vibrant yellow that reminds Daehyun of sticky lemonade smiles and happy giggles.

 

Daehyun smiles to himself.

 

“What got you smiling, Daehyun? Is it Youngjae again?” Gunwoo asks,

 

”You’re always thinking of him, I bet you couldn’t go two whole seconds without thinking about him. Are you sure he isn't your boyfriend?” Seyong teases, smiling.

 

Daehyun rolls his eyes. “He’s not my boyfriend.”

 

Right.

 

Well, actually, Daehyun doesn’t know what they are. After that one skype call when Youngjae fell asleep and they both woke up to each other, things have...shifted? Changed? Whenever they talk now there’s an intimacy that wasn’t there before. (Don’t get them wrong, it’s not that horribly sappy, they still manage to clash everytime they speak). It’s not even awkward. Daehyun likes Youngjae and Youngjae likes Daehyun and they both know that, but they’re stuck in that limbo of ‘I like you’ but ‘I don’t know what to do’ and ‘I don’t want to be the one ruining what we have.’

 

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Daehyun reiterates, and it isn’t a lie.

 

“Yeah, but you want him to be.” Joonkyu points out.

 

Daehyun stays silent, neither affirming nor denying that statement. Daehyun keeps walking and takes in a deep breath. He does, oh he really, truly does want to be Youngjae’s boyfriend, but just because he does, doesn’t mean Daehyun should do something about it. What if Youngjae didn’t want to be anything but friends? This could very well ruin their entire relationship and Daehyun is not giving up what he has now just for a what if.  

 

He opens his mouth to speak again and that’s when Daehyun walks right into someone. “Wah! I am so sorry-OW!”

 

“Yah! Jung Daehyun! Watch where you’re going!”

 

Daehyun knows that voice. He knows that voice. He recovers from the stumble and when he looks to his left, Youngjae’s there, smiling that sunshine smile at him (probably because he got to punch him, that jerk).

 

“Hey don’t talk to him like that-” Chaejin starts, the rest of the group turning to the person that just bumped into Daehyun. They don’t get their two cents in before-

 

“JAE!”

 

Daehyun smiles so wide that it hurts his jaw, but that doesn’t matter, not when Youngjae is here, right in front him. He doesn’t hesitate to lunge forward and envelop the younger in a hug, the excitement of the moment causing him to lift the other of the ground in his exuberance. “Daehyunnie!”

 

“Youngjae?”

 

“Youngjae, like the Youngjae?”

 

“Wait, this is Youngjae?!”

 

All of Daehyun’s friends stare at Youngjae in shock. “He looks...different than what I expected.” Insoo says, eyebrows raised.

 

It’s understandable. Youngjae is in a light, baby blue sweater, dark jeans and a beanie and he looks nothing how Daehyun’s new friends expect him to look. Daehyun always describes Youngjae as a force to be reckoned with, someone who would stop at nothing to win at soccer, someone with a sharp bark and even sharper bite, someone who could take Daehyun on in a battle of wits and fists, so seeing this cute chubby-cheeked pastel wasn’t what they were expecting at all (it doesn’t help Daehyun has never shown anyone a picture of Youngjae).

 

(Really, they were expecting some tall, buff, jock who was at least a head taller than Daehyun. Cause come on, Daehyun always stresses how Youngjae is brutal in soccer, absolutely savage even. Daehyun told them Youngjae could kick his , and that’s not an easy thing to do (have you seen those arms), so sue them if they were surprised at being introduced to a flower boy rather than a steroid bag.

 

They all stare in amusement as Daehyun continues to spin Youngjae around despite the other’s loud protests and punching fists.

 

-

 

(What are you doing here?!”)

 

(“I finished some things early and my lab is cancelled for tomorrow, so surprise?”)

 

(“I love you, you know.”)

 

(“, you better. Oh, and get me ice cream.”)

 

-

 

Insoo shakes his head and rolls his eyes. ‘Yes, Daehyun, your relationship with Youngjae seems so plantonic. Because everyone spin-hugs their best friend, guides them around with your arm around their waist, buys them ice cream, and holds hands like the two of you. Okay. Sure.’ He thinks as he watches Youngjae and Daehyun from behind, popsicle being muched on in contemplation.

 

Daehyun has Youngjae’s hand clasped tightly in his, fingers intertwined and arms even swaying between them at times. It looks so adorably cute that Insoo might want to throw up. (And he would have, if the two weren’t so set on fighting each other.)

 

“Yah! Jung Daehyun! Stop trying to take my ice cream! You have your own!” Youngjae yells, hand shielding his green tea scoop on his cone.

 

“Pfft, you mean my ice cream? I bought it, therefore it’s mine,” Daehyun sing songs, leaning over and trying to grab Youngjae’s cone.

 

“What kind of ing excuse-” Youngjae starts as he leans back and moves his arm away and tries to kick Daehyun in the shin. Daehyun dodges and takes another swipe, lunging forward with enough force that has them both fumbling. Youngjae’s arm flies out and grabs the other’s arm to make sure Daehyun doesn’t hit the pavement (he doesn’t need to lose anymore brain cells, Youngjae rationalizes to himself).

 

They’re holding their breaths when Daehyun’s eyes go wide and then he’s forcibly falling on his knees to make sure that his own ice cream stays on his cone.

 

Youngjae looks over at Daehyun and opens his mouth to say something (probably along the lines of eat your own damn ice cream, ) , when his gaze lands on Daehyun’s own cone. His lips twitch. “Dae!”

 

“Jae?”

 

“Choco ice cream! I say choco, you say ice cream, choco-”

 

“Shut up,” Daehyun says, smiling. The two of them break out into chuckles and Daehyun’s friends all shrug, they don’t get it so it’s probably an inside joke. Youngjae offers a hand to him and Daehyun takes it; they’re still smiling (at each other) and neither of them lets the other go.

 

On second thought, Insoo still wants to throw up.


 

 

--

lame i'm still lame what kind of ing ending lmao

lol kudos to who can identify daehyun’s friends lol (also i am not familiar with them so i'm sorry if my characterizations are weird, i basically just looked at the member profile page and was like ok you'll do say/this i guess lol

lmao those parentheses tho

this will be the last in the series, if i add more to this series/universe it'll probably be in my bap drabbles xD

thanks so much for all the readers! i hoped you enjoyed my crap lmao i hope it was at least quality crap lol

(im sorry for this long af a/n omg Gine you loser stop rambling)