[ meeting ]

The Prankster's Romance

 

"Ya, Yerim-ah. Wake up," I said, tapping her continuously. "Yerim-ah."
"Five more minutes, eonni," she mumbled but I already pulled her blanket and pillows. "Eonni!"
"Get up now! We're going to be late!"

 

I didn’t wait for her retaliation and just marched to the kitchen. Seeing the almost empty table made me miss those girls. Since our three older sisters are now staying in dormitories, only me and Yerim are left in the house, and that means I'm the one who should take care of it.

Yerim finally stood up, definitely annoyed, and she went straight to the dining table with her furrowed brows.

 

"You should eat now and prepare for school, slowpoke," I ordered and she just rolled her eyes while scooping some rice.

"How about you?" she asked without a hint of temper. Well, I’m already used to her grumpy morning routine. The four of us are morning persons, except her.

"I'll come after you."

 

Few minutes passed and she finished her food. On the other hand, I washed the dishes and packed our lunch while she prepared for school. After almost an hour, she finally looked like a decent student.

 

"I'll be going then!" she said excitedly as she walks to the doorway. When she left, I started preparing, too.

 

This will be my last year in high school yet I still don’t feel it. Maybe because I didn’t really enjoy my school life ever since I stepped into that campus. I mean, I don’t have any friends since they’re too scared to approach me, though I don’t know why. Besides, I am always compared to my younger sister Yerim, who’s probably one of the most famous freshmen in our campus, because of her bright personality.

 

My mind went back to present when my phone suddenly rang. I picked it up and saw Irene eonni's name.

 

"Why eonni?" I asked, placing the phone between my ear and shoulder, as I put my socks on.

"Are you two okay? Did you eat? What—"

"Eonni," I said, cutting her off. "We're fine and I'm on my way to school."

 

This is Irene eonni, our eldest sister, and the most concerned about everyone. Since our mother died after Yerim was born, and shortly after that,our father followed, Irene eonni became the head of our family. She took care of us in her early age that’s why her personality is that of a mother. She's the introvert yet overprotective type, who's sweet but annoying sometimes.

She had to move because of her work, while our other two sisters, Wendy eonni and Seulgi eonni, needed to apply for dormitories because of their evening classes.

 

"Wait. You didn't go with Yerim?"

"No. I had to clean so I sent her off first."

"Ohh. You're becoming a dependable eonni," she teased and I felt my cheeks burning.

"Irene eonni!" I heard her laugh and that made me more embarrassed since I’m not the type to take care of someone since I am also treated as the younger sibling.

"Okay, okay. I'm just checking the both of you. Now go. You don't want to be late on your first day."

"Yeah, yeah. Bye!" She ended the call and I quickly went out.

 

***

 

I got out of the bus when we arrived at the university street and I started walking to the campus. Several students were also walking and they already have aquaintances and friends. I shrugged and continued strolling but I suddenly stopped when I saw something. Someone was about to place some embarrassing note on the back of a student.

 

I don't have friends. Please notice me.

 

After seeing what was written on the paper, I marched toward the group of guys who were planning that prank.

 

"Hey!" I yelled and the four of them, including their victim, looked at me.

 

The guy on the right smiled and I have a feeling that he’s a mischievous kid. The other one looked uninterested, as if he had done this a hundred times. But what caught my attention was the one at the left side. He's the tallest among them and even with my tall stature as a girl, I got intimidated with him. Their supposed-to-be victim just stood there, unaware of the fact that he almost brought himself to humiliation. I was about to tell him what's happening when the tall guy suddenly put his arm around my shoulder.

 

“Eunji-ya!” he beamed, as if we’re close friends, and I glared in return. Who the heck is Eunji? Was that his attempt to escape the situation?

“My name isn’t Eunj—!”

“What? Are you still sulking about that thing? C’mon, Eunji, just forget that.”

 

The clueless guy looked at us, confused, and after analyzing the situation, he decided to walk away. During that time, my head spun because I know that I’m in a huge trouble.

 

“Whoa!” the mischievous-looking guy exclaimed. “I thought we’re going to be caught.”

“That’s because you’re too sloppy,” the stoned-face guy added.

“It was because of this girl,” the guy beside me said, his arms still around my shoulder. He stomped his feet in disappointment and looked at me with those monolid eyes. “You just foiled our first prank of the school year, woman. Do you have any idea—!” I slapped his hands and whacked his arms away from me, which stunned him.

“No, I don’t have any idea about it, and I don’t care.”

 

After saying that to his face, he looked dumbfounded, and his two friends both chuckled, as if this was the first time they heard someone said those words to him.

 

“W-w-what did you say?!” he yelled, grabbing my collar. And that’s one of the things I hate the most.

“I said . . .” My voice trailed off and I put my hands on his shoulder. “You’re a joke.”

 

Without warning, I kneed his balls and after doing that, I ran away as quickly as I can. I heard him scream in pain and yelled at me but I didn’t look back. I guess my first day wasn’t boring at all.

 

------