Socks

Socks

Taehyung's day had started wonderfully - it wasn't ironic, it had actually been a wonderful day until this point. He had woken up to the beautiful sounds of Seokjin waking up Jungkook in the gentlest way posible - this was ironic. Breakfast had been ready and on the table - thank you, Seokjin hyung. Nobody was in the bathroom when he went to shower, and no one came banging on the door telling him to hurry. By then, he was feeling like the day was his - the smallest things could make Taehyung feel like a god. But that was until he searched for socks and found none. He was sure he had a few pairs left until he needed to worry about it.

He threw clothes everywhere on the floor until his closet was empty and found no socks. Not even one side of a pair which would have been left dying alone under piles of clothes. None. But then he looked under his pillow and found one - the emergency sock. Why didn't he have a pair under his pillow? He usually just took a lonely sock and put it under his pillow just in case he couldn't find the other side of a pair and he was in a hurry.

He put on the sock he had and left the room to look for Seokjin.

"Hyung, d'you know where my socks are?"

"The dog munched on them."

"What!? But I had 3 pairs in my closet."

"Don't ask me. There were socks lying around the living room last night."

Taehyung's hopes were crushed, and he was left defeated.

"What will I do?" Taehyung sighed before looking at Seokjin again. "Can't you lend me some?"

"No," Seokjin answered staring straight into Taehyung's eyes, and then he was out of the room without a glance in the younger's direction.

God! What was he going to do? Should he put on sandals? But it was cold outside, it would be suicidal to do that.

At that moment, Namjoo entered the kitchen and Taehyung was basically jumping on him before the elder could process anything.

"Hyung, don't you have any socks to lend me?"

Namjoon blinked and then, without a word, looked down at his feet. Taehyung frowned and took a few seconds before following Namjoon's gaze, and what he saw were bare feet - Namjoon was wearing socks. Taehyung looked up at Namjoon's face, the latter looking at him too.

"You got none either?"

"The laundry hasn't been done."

Namjoon went to the fridge without another word, leaving Taehyung losing hope again... But he couldn't give up like that. With renewed determination, Taehyung went in search of Jimin who he found in his room, crouching in front of his dresser. But that wasn't the important part, and the fact clothes were lying all around him wasn't either - no, the important part was the socks in his hand at which he was looking as if it was the most beautiful thing in the entire world, and an expression of victory on his face.

Without thinking Taehyung was jumping on Jimin, determined to get those socks. Jimin shrieked in surprise, but his hold on the socks was steel-like, and he wouldn't let go. Taehyung hadn't been expected such resistance - the surprise should hve loosened his hold, but it hadn't and Jimin managed to get Taehyung off of him. Before the latter could sit up, Jimin had ran out the room, and by the time he was up and running after him, Jimin was closing the entrance door.

Taehyung couldn't help groaning as he imagined the socks running away from him on Jimin's feet. Since Jimin was gone with probably his last pair of socks, Taehyung went in search of Jeongguk who he found in the living room, on the couch, Yoongi next to him. Both of them had socks on.

"Socks!"

Yoongi turned his head to look at him.

"Yes, I am wearing socks," Yoongi said blankly. "So what?"

"But the laundry wasn't done. And so give me socks please?"

"No," Yoongi replied matter-of-factly and went back to watching T.V without another word.

Taehyung turned to Jeongguk who was eating cereals, and looking at him with big innocent eyes - they weren't even a façade, the kid was an actual kid.

"Kook's on his third day," Seokjin told Taehyung before looking at Yoongi. "Namjoon and Jimin are already downstairs. We're not waiting for you, Yoongi."

"Coming," he called out to Seokjin who was already heading for the door as he stood up slowly. Before leaving, he turned to glare at Taehyung. "If you dare touch my socks, I'll kill you."

Taehyung looked at Yoongi's socked feet making their way to the entrance, and couldn't help the sigh leaving him. His wonderful day had taken an unexpected turn. With another sigh, he let himself fall next to Jeongguk who was still eating.

"You can do like Namjoon hyung, he didn't wear any socks."

"Well, you could do the same instead of wearing the same socks for 3 days straight."

"I can't. My shoes would stink, and I'm not ruining them. I nearly starved myself to buy them."

"Why did you even buy such expensive shoes?"

"Because they're cool."

Taehyung wouldn't deny that. He was left with 4 choices. First, he went with only one sock. Second, he went with no socks. Third, he stole somebody else's sock - meaning Yoongi's or Seokjin's, meaning he was going to get killed afterwards. Fourth, he went in the dirty clothes basket and searched for another sock. Well, there was the fifth one which was doing the laundry, but he wouldn't do that.

Mulgogi came into the room, and happily barked as he came to sit on the couch between Junkook and him-he wasn't allowed to, but since it was only Jungkook and Taehyung, he knew he wouldn't get punished for it. Mulgogi was a clever dog. So why the hell would he munch on his socks? Well, the real question was how the hell had his socks handed up somewhere Mulgogi could take them. His closet was closed at all times.

... Clearly, someone had taken his socks out of his closet. There was a traitor amongst them.

Mulgogi's fur, Taehyung started thinking about who could have done such a horrible thing.

"Mulgogi," Hoseok called as he came into the room. "We're going on a walk."

The dog jumped down the couch and ran to Hoseok, barking and jumping around at the mention of going on a walk. Taehyung scoffed.

"Who decided to call that dog Mulgogi?"

"Jimin hyung when he was drunk."

"Why did we agree?"

"You were all drunk, and I wasn't home."

"Right."

Taehyung turned back toward Hoseok who was done putting the collar on and was the leash, and he saw socks on the elder's feet. He jumped up and ran to Hoseok, startling him. Hoseok looked at him in surprise before his expression morphed into an amused one.

"D'you want to go on a walk too, Taehyung?"

"No, hyung, would you lend me some socks?"

Hoseok blinked a couple times before he shrugged.

"Sure, just go search for them in my dresser."

"Thanks hyung."

Taehyung was running to Hoseok's shared room with Namjoon and Jimin. He was opening the elder's drawer and looking for socks as if his life depended on it. When he found some, the sweet euphory and relief washing through him made it feel as if his life had actually depended on it.

Content, Taehyung took off his sock and put the pair on. He picked up the other sock off the floor and went to put it under his pillow again before skipping to the living room where Jungkook was still quietly eating his cereals. When he spotted Taehyung, Jungkook stopped eating.

"Shouldn't you head out, hyung? It's past 8."

"Yup. Just let me appreciate wearing clean socks, which are an actual pair too for a while."

"You do whatever you want, hyung," Jungkook shrugged, and went back to eating cereals again.

After a few minutes of just staring at the socks on his feet, Taehyung stood up again and started gathering his things to leave for University. Before leaving, Taehyung stood in front of Jungkook, preventing him from watching T.V and pinched the younger's cheeks.

"See you."

"Go away, hyung."

Taehyung laughed as he left happy to have socks on his feet. Maybe it really was his day - again, the smallest things could make Taehyung feel like a god. However, there was definitely a traitor among the people he shared the apartment with. And he had to find who. That atrocity couldn't go unpunished!

He spent the whole journey to University, and part of his classes trying to figure out who did it. But he could only guess it probably wasn't Hoseok, nor Jeongguk, nor Namjoon. But maybe it was Jimin - they always pranked each other, Jungkook joining too, but the younger hadn't seemed like he had done anything that morning, and Jungkook couldn't lie. Yoongi might have done it - he usually didn't bother doing something that meant it could bring annoyance to his life, but sometimes he could be random as hell. It could also be Seokjin - the eldest was more of a kid than you'd think so he may have done it just for fun, or because Taehyung hadn't done the dishes last week, and Seokjin was a good liar when needed.

By the time he was back home, he still didn't know who was the culprit. So he decided to be not subtle and hope the culprit who give himself out. The first thing he said as he came back was - "Who gave my socks to the dog?"

Seokjin, Namjoon, Jimin and Jungkook were in the living room, all of them turning to look at Taehyung.

"What?" Namjoon asked confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Seokjin hyung said the dog munched on my socks, and that they were lying around the living room last night. But last time I saw them they were in my closet. Which was closed."

"I did," Jimin answered, and Taehyung looked at him outraged which only made the other shrug. "You hid all of mine in the bin."

Taehyung frowned at that.

"I didn't. I haven't even planned a prank for two weeks now."

"Actually, the socks in the bin was my fault," Namjoon in, looking embarrassed, and all the people in the room were looking at him. "All of your socks were on the kitchen table - don't aske me why - and I was half asleep and kind of swept everything which was on the table in the bin. I only realised what I did when the next morning Seokjin hyung was complaining about some of the cutlery, and socks, being in the bin."

"Why were my socks on the kitchen table?"

Junkook coughed on his crackers, and it had everyone looking at him. Jimin looked as outraged as Taehyung probably had just a few minutes ago.

"It wasn't me, I swear!"

"That's what a guilty man would say," Seokjin remarked. "You're not helping yourself."

"It wasn't Jungkook," Yoongi said as he came into the room. "It was me."

Jimin turned to look at Yoongi, and he looked more than outraged, he looked shocked. He sputtered for a few seconds before being able to form an actual sentence.

"What were you going to do with them, hyung?"

"Bathe them in orange juice before pouring them on your face."

The way Yoongi talked was matter-of-factly and there wasn't a once of anything that could ressemble shame in him. Jimin, on the other hand, looked just even more shocked - honestly, Taehyung would have never done that, bathing socks in orange juice, yeah; pouring orange juice on someone, definitely; but that was something else. Yoongi really could be random, and awful.

"Why!?"

"I warned about borrowing clothes without permission. And I had told you I'd make you regret if you took anything while I was gone."

"I wasn't the only one!"

Yoongi scowled at that, and his gaze went from indifferent to intense as he stared at Jimin.

"Who?"

"I'll get killed if--"

Before Jimin could even finish, Yoongi was glaring at Seokjin who was trying to look innocent, but he knew he was the only one who Jimin wouldn't dare snitch on.

"What?" Seokjin asked, nearly pouting. "You had the perfect jacket to go with my outfit."

"Oh, that was why the jacket reminded me of something," Namjoon said, and he looked at Yoongi. "It really doesn't give the same feeling when you wear it, hyung."

"You could have texted me or something at least!"

"I did! You broke your phone, Yoongi."

Yoongi had been ready to retort something, but Seokjin's reply had him mumbling, his shoulders sagging.

"So, basically, my socks were given to the dog by Jimin who thought I was the one to throw his in the bin. It was actually Namjoon hyung's fault because he was a zombie and just threw them without thinking. The socks had ended up on the kitchen table because Jimin had borrowed some of Yoongi hyung's clothes without asking and Yoongi wanted to get his revenge."

"Basically?" Jungkook asked, "yeah. And it's kinda funny."

"Okay, but why didn't you do it right away, hyung?" Jimin asked Yoongi. "Why leave them on the table?"

"Because Junkook interrupted me, and I had to threaten him a bit so he wouldn't tell anyone."

Well, that was all good, he knew who would get punished. Jimin could be expecting some awful backlash. But in the end, he still didn't have any socks left. And 3 pairs of his were dead, munched by Mulgogi.

"Who's doing the laundry?"

"I ain't," Yoongi replied and was out of the room.

Seokjin was quick to follow after the other, telling them they wouldn't get him to do the laundry even with the most delicious pastries. Namjoon was exempt from laundry duty because he broke their first one, and nearly broke the one they curently had. That left him, Jimin, Jungkook and Hoseok - and Taehyung would do anything so he wouldn't have to do the laundry.

"Hoseok and I are out to watch a dance competition tonight."

Taehyung turned to Jungkook who looked like he didn't want to do the laundry as much as him. But whatever it took, Jungkook would end up doing the laundry.

"If you don't do it, I'm taking all your white Tees, and I'm washing them with red."

Jungkook's eyes doubled in size because he knew Taehyung was serious - he actually was, he had lived 6 months getting away from laundry duty -a personnal record - and he was planning on keeping on beating that record. With the insurance laundry would be done, and it wouldn't be him doing it, Taehyung headed for his room with the feeling he was a god - not doing any chores was the best feeling in the universe, and it just showed how divine you were to always find your way out of them.

It really had been Taehyung's day in the end.