1/1.

darkness in your eyes (lights up in the sky)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is 2012, just weeks before EXO's debut. They've just finished their dance practice for the day. All of their muscles ache, but past the pain there is sheer determination. Yifan's not accustomed to dance, his tall lanky frame still moving a bit awkwardly. He's practiced the hardest today out of the group, but the choreographers still look at him with something short of scorn. There is blood rushing in his ears, pants of exertion slipping past his lips as he's tried again and again to master the movements. He needs to get this perfect. They all do. Anything less is sacrilegious.

"Duizhang, you did great today!" Luhan beams. He says it once in Mandarin, then again in Korean - a bit slower. The elder man mostly has the language down by now, but he's still practicing daily. He knows the slightest slip-up will be disastrous. His own forehead is glistening with sweat, but his doe-like eyes are bright in youthful enthusiasm. Junmyeon, already adjusting to his leader status, hollers a muffled "we all did" from the dressing room, but Yifan hardly hears him.

"You too, Lu-ge." he exhales in reply, shoulders slumping as he leans against the cloud-painted wall. He's still getting used to the fact that the second-eldest trainee now calls him leader. Yifan had wanted to protest at the company meeting, wanted to say he could not be the one to lead five other rookies when he was still one himself, but they never even gave him a chance to speak. None of the Chinese members were given that luxury.

Luhan presses himself to his side, patting his back firmly. The members that are to be EXO-K call for them moments later, something about needing to review their pronunciation before the showcase.

That night, Yifan sleeps better than he has since he arrived.

It is 2013. Their new song, "Wolf" has just been released. The performances are more taxing these days, but Yifan grits his teeth and bears it. The lights are bearing down on them, but they feel less harsh than they did a year ago on the same stage.

"We are one, we are EXO!"

The phrase slips past his lips, roars of applause greeting twelve shining faces. Lu Han is wiping tears of joy from his eyes as all of them gather together in a group hug. The Music Bank cameras hone in on them. They've done it, Yifan realizes as he sees Junmyeon hoist the shining trophy above them in his hands. Pride swells in his chest. Unbeknownst to him, it's only one of many that EXO will receive over the years. They break apart and bow deeply toward the crowd. Yifan closes his eyes, savoring this moment. All of the pain and sleepless nights have been worth it for this, he thinks.

They've made it. Together.

Later that night, the flashes of cameras change to the dim bulbs of streetlights. They're packed together in the back of a van that swerves with every hasty turn. There are cars following, relentless sasaengs pursuing them over the bridge that leads back to their dorms.

Luhan doesn't give them the pleasure of seeing his near-catatonic expression as he buri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter