Okay, Maybe It Was Really Awkward

Not That Awkward (Maybe)

Jongin likes to think he’s got everything under control when it comes to his pathetic crush on Kyungsoo. Sure, he has never held an actual conversation with the older boy despite having had said crush on him for about a year now. Sure, he can’t be within a few feet of the other without panicking and looking for the closest escape route. To Jongin, these are minor flaws but to his best friend, Sehun, these are fatal flaws that he insists will “never get him laid” but Jongin doesn’t like to listen to him. Ever.

 

No matter how much Sehun tries to convince his best friend that what he is doing -- or rather, what he isn’t doing -- just is not working and that Kyungsoo barely knows he even exists, Jongin just doesn’t listen and frankly, Sehun is getting pretty damn tired of it.

 

“How do you expect him to like you back if you won’t breathe the same air as him for three ing seconds?” Sehun deadpans, once again tired of seeing his friend so helplessly in love without doing anything about it. “I mean, really. Do you expect him to just initiate the mating ritual or whatever you want from him when he has no clue who you even are?”

 

Jongin’s lips curve down into a pout that makes him look at lot more boyish than his sharp features suggest.

 

“I don’t want a ‘mating ritual’,” he raises his fingers in air quotes at this, “I want to take him on cute dates and kiss his plump cheeks and tell him how beautiful he is and make him smile every time he’s around me and--”

 

Sehun interrupts with an exaggerated eye roll and gagging sound effect regardless of the people around them in the hallway.

 

“I’ve heard this a ton of times and I really don’t care what you want at this point because I’ve heard it all within the last year, Jongin. Kyungsoo this, Kyungsoo that. From ‘I want to make Kyungsoo feel special!’ to ‘I bet Kyungsoo’s hole would be perfect for my--’

 

It’s Jongin’s turn to interrupt when he hears where the last part is going, slapping his hands quickly over his evil, so-called best friend’s mouth.

 

“I have never said that last part,” Jongin furiously whispers. The other rolls his eyes once more and easily removes Jongin’s hands from his mouth.

 

“Don’t touch me with those, they’ve probably been to Kyungsoo. We’ve been friends for literally years. Don’t think that I don’t know where your diary key is. I’ve seen every sick fantasy of yours, and I mean all of them.” Sehun’s smirk widens as Jongin’s expression morphs into one of pure horror. No one could hide secrets from Oh Sehun, especially not Kim Jongin.

 

“Well… whatever! It isn’t like any of them are ever going to happen. He’ll never like me, anyways. So haha,” Jongin laughs, but it isn’t filled with any joy, only full of hurt. Sehun frowns at his best friend’s behavior. They’re best friends after all and he doesn’t like to see him genuinely upset when he’s just trying to tease.

 

“I don’t want to hurt you, but you have to realize that he really won’t ever like you if you don’t try. Just ing talk to him. Ask him how his day was. Talk about the weather if you have to, you can’t watch him from afar forever. I know you’re awkward and you’re afraid that he’ll reject you. I get it, Jongin. But so help me almighty Lord out there if I’m going to just let you stand around with those adorable puppy eyes when you really want something, and that something being Do Kyungsoo. What couldn’t he like about you? You’re a damn catch and he’d be an idiot if he didn’t give you a chance and I know he isn’t an idiot. You haven’t bragged about his perfect grades for nothing. Now before I regret it, let me ing help you talk to him. It can’t be that awkward,” Sehun ends his rant with a comforting hand on Jongin’s shoulder. His best friend is speechless, touched that Sehun was willing to help him. This was why they were so close. They teased and insulted each other a lot but they really cared for each other when the time came.

 

“How will you help me, though? I can’t just walk up to him when he doesn’t even know I exist,” Jongin whined. Sehun shrugged and had a thoughtful look on his face.

 

“Sure you can. Wait here.” With that, Sehun took off, much to Jongin’s surprise. He called after him, asking what he was planning but the younger chose to ignore him. To his terror, he saw Sehun walking straight towards his long-time crush standing right there in the hallway. Sweat began to accumulate on his palms as he stared wide-eyed at the scene. He watched as Kyungsoo lifted his head towards Sehun when the latter had called for his attention. Jongin began to bite at his nails as he saw Sehun’s mouth moving but couldn’t make out what was being said. His heart then felt like it had stopped when he witnessed as a smile began to bloom on his beloved’s face. He continued to watch, lovestruck, as Kyungsoo’s strawberry-kissed lips stretched and pursed as he spoke.

 

Before he knew it, Sehun was already walking back with a smile on his face. Jongin looked at him in awe, wondering if it really could have been that easy.

 

“See? It wasn’t that hard. Kyungsoo’s a friendly guy. There isn’t anything to be afraid of,” Sehun tried to reassure him.

 

“W-What did you guys talk about?” Jongin huddled close to him, dying to know any information he could on Kyungsoo.

 

“I literally talked to him about the weather.”


The next week consisted of Jongin finally attempting to hold an actual conversation with Kyungsoo. However, it had been a lot easier watching Sehun do it than to actually try it. His best friend had explained to him how to approach him, what to say, and how to casually offer a date. There was not a moment when his instructions were not floating around in Jongin’s mind, trying to be ready for any time he could encounter the elder. All of it had felt like it had abandoned ship once he even spotted Kyungsoo in the same room as himself. At this point, not only was Sehun frustrated with Jongin’s still lack of progress, Jongin was starting to feel discouraged once again. Once again, the younger felt like he had to take matters into his own hands. Jongin was unaware of what exactly the other was planning and Sehun planned to keep it that way.

It had been a pretty normal day for Jongin and he was casually leaning against the wall of the hallway to talk to his best friend. Out of the corner of his eye, he had spotted the familiar stature of his crush and he could not help but look his way. His eyes widened in fear, however, when it seemed that Kyungsoo was seeking him out as he was looking directly at him and calmly approaching him. His mind had set off warning sirens and Jongin felt like that particular Spongebob episode where Spongebob had a mental breakdown and the several smaller versions of him ran rampant in his mind causing a fire and a brain-wide panic and malfunction. Jongin had long stopped speaking, his little Jongins-filled mind short-circuiting. Sehun then looked in the direction of his panic and smirked.

 

“Good luck, buddy,” Sehun patted Jongin’s shoulder before leaving him there and Jongin turned to him with his mouth hanging wide open and a whine leaving his lips.

 

“You can’t just leave me here,” he hissed, but Sehun had already stalked off without another word.

Jongin’s blood ran cold when he heard someone clearing their throat behind him and he swore that he broke out into a cold sweat right then and there.

 

The younger male didn’t want to turn around to confirm his fears that the love of his life was standing right before him. Yet, he wanted to catch even a glimpse of the perfect boy up close like he hasn’t before. The latter option quickly outweighed the former.

Slowly and carefully, as though not to disturb a wild animal, Jongin turned to face Kyungsoo.

The elder quite literally stole Jongin's breath away as he could see every one of his features in all their glory. From his gorgeous, round eyes to his plump, pink lips -- god, everything about him drove Jongin crazy.

"C-Can I help you?" Oh god, Jongin you better stop ing stuttering right now. You can't mess up this opportunity to speak to your MAN for what is possibly the only time to every speak to him. Don't it up, you little !

After Jongin's 2 second meltdown, Kyungsoo spoke up, "Jongin, right?" , , ! He knows my name! I literally CANNOT ing do this. Nope. "Your friend, Sehun, said you wanted to speak to me about something?

Oh. ing. Sehun. Of course he was behind this. How could Jongin think his wonderful evil best friend was not behind this?

"Yeah! That's me! Jongin!" Don't sound so overexcited you piece of . ing tone it down. "I mean like, who's asking, right? Haha." Real smooth you god damn er.

"Well... Didn't you ask for me?" Kyungsoo's doe eyes blinked cutely in confusion, his luscious thick eyebrows curving down just slightly.

"Ah, y-yes," Jongin tried to alleviate the awkwardness in the air, "I was just joking! I know who you are! You're Do Kyungsoo, a year older than me, best friends are Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol," SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP, "and wants to go to a university in Seoul! Of course I know you!"

Once Jongin's short word vomit is out, he instantly feels like producing actual vomit at seeing Kyungsoo's slightly disturbed and totally fake smile, his eyes giving away how truly terrified he was.

"Right... Uh, so. What did you want to talk about?" Kyungsoo decides to let the awkward spiel slide and forget it happened (Jongin is thankful for this).

Jongin is less thankful, however, at the fact that he now has to completely conjure up an excuse out of his for whatever Kyungsoo is expecting. His mind draws a blank and before he can stop it, he's already spitting out whatever comes to mind.

"Please be my boyfriend, hyung. I would treat you right and make you feel loved and tell you that you're beautiful every day because it's true and I want you to remember that. I want to hold your hand and comfort you and--" Jongin takes a deep breath here, having rushed his words out without taking a breath, "--I just want to kiss you whenever I see you but I'm so afraid of rejection." Jongin takes another gulp of air and feels his face burn in embarrassment and shame at everything he confessed.

Kyungsoo is worryingly silent as his mouth seems to open and shut repeatedly in shock. Jongin can't even silently admire his gorgeous lips as he's currently staring at the floor to avoid the elder's face and inevitable rejection. Maybe it won't be so bad, he's so caring and he'll let me down in the gentlest way possible. Jongin almost sadly laughs at the thought.

"I... I can't say I expected this honestly," the younger doesn't look up at his words. "I mean, you honestly can't expect me to be your boyfriend after just a confession."

Jongin slowly nods to his words, letting out a soft, "You're right," doing nothing to hide the hurt in his voice.

"But," Jongin's head shoots up at this, "I will let you take me on a date first..."

Kyungsoo can practically see the gears turning in the taller's head as he processed the information. The older could see the moment Jongin seemed to understand what Kyungsoo just told him and he witnesses the brightest smile he's ever seen. He briefly wonders if sunglasses are needed for this smile that rivals the sun. Jongin resembles nothing other than the cutest teddy bear as his entire face shows just hoe overjoyed he is and Kyungsoo thinks that if the other had a tail, it surely would be wagging right now. How endearing.

"Yes! Yeah, totally! I would love to," Jongin can't seem to hide the obvious excitement in his voice, only half-thinking about how much further he's embarrassing himself.

Kyungsoo's lips stretch into his full heart-shaped smile, causing Jongin to melt into a puddle right then are there while sighing dreamily. I scored a date with this angel, oh my gosh, Sehun so isn't going to believe this.

The two exchanged numbers as Jongin's heart tried to settle down but nope, he thinks it's just going to permanently beat this hard for the rest of his life considering the love of his life gave him a chance.

As the two separate and the older flashes him a last blinding smile and a cute wave that has Jongin melting all over again, Jongin thinks about the whole encounter again and has to bite his lip to not smile at nothing and be seen as weird. Sehun had said it couldn't be that awkward, but it totally was. It was totally worth it, though.


Jongin gets a text later that day.

From: Future Boyfriend ❤❤

i cant wait for our date~

 


 

haha idk what this in is.. i had a prompt for this but i lost it like halfway through so have this ugly word dump

i seem to have this thing where i read hardcore nc-17 kaisoo fics but im only able to produce ugly fluffy fics.. relatable or nah?

also LAST THING..... jongin admiring kyungsoo and being a nervous ... is that not the most amazing thing..