Meteor?

Heaven Sent

 

RING! RING! RING!

Your cellphone goes ringing for someone is calling you.

“Ugghh… Who the heck is calling me at this hour?” you said to yourself while reaching for your phone at your bedside table.

“Hello? *Yawn*”, you said sleepily. “Who is this?”

“Who is this is?!” shouted someone at the other end of the line, who turned out to be your classmate and close friend, Namjoo. “Gosh ________ (your name)! Don’t you know what time is it already? We’re gonna be late for school!”

Her shout awakened you and you looked at the alarm clock at your bedside table.

7:20 AM

“Oh, !” you shouted.

“Yeah, men. . Really ”, Namjoo said. “Get your here in our usual meet-up place in ten minutes or else I’m gonna kill you”, Namjoo said angrily.

“Okay. Got it. I’ll be there in ten minutes. Bye!”

 

You hurriedly get up from your bed, took a shower and dressed up in your school uniform.

‘Oh when will I ever hear the alarm?’ you thought to yourself while putting all your things in your bag. You ran downstairs and grabbed two slices of bread and began eating it rapidly.

*Cough! Cough! Cough!*

You almost choked yourself for eating the bread too fast. You gulped down the glass of fresh milk and brushed your teeth. Just when you were about to leave the house, you remember your digital camera. You love taking pictures and bringing your camera to school is a must for you.

“Oh! My camera!” you said and ran back to your room, as fast as you can. You grabbed the digital camera on your study table and ran downstairs.

When you were about to close the gate of your house, a strong wind began blowing and the ground began shaking a bit. As you turned around to see what is happening, you saw something falling from the sky and hurriedly took a picture of it.

“A meteor? Wow! How pretty”, you said admiring the picture you took. Just then you realize you have to go now. “Oh my, Namjoo’s gonna kill me.”

You ran as fast as you can and started dialing Namjoo’s number.

“Hello ______?” Namjoo said.

“Namjoo, please just go on without me. I don’t want you to be late”, you said while running.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, yes. See you later in school! Bye!” you said and hanged up.

Namjoo just sighed and left the waiting shed.

While running on your way to school, you saw Park Bom opening up her salon.

“Ne, B-Bom-unnie, can I borrow your bike?” you asked, panting. “I’m going to be late for school if I just run all the way there.”

“Oh ______! Good morning! Is that so? Sure! Here it is”, Bom said as she handed you her bike.

“Thanks a lot Bom-unnie! You will be blessed today! I’ll return it this afternoon”, you said and started pedaling.

“No problem. Take care!”

You started pedaling the bike as fast as you can almost hitting a person crossing the street. You arrived at your school six minutes before eight. The student council is almost closing the gate so you started pedaling faster. You made it just in time. You parked Bom’s bike and started running as fast as you can to your classroom. You arrive at the same time as your teacher and entered after him.

‘Whew, still not late’, you thought

You sat at the desk beside Namjoo. Namjoo rolled her eyes and gave you a “when-are-you-not-gonna-be-late” look. You can even hear her go “tsk, tsk, tsk” inside her mind. You bowed at her slightly and whispered ‘mianhae’.

The first half of the day went on as usual. The period started with the nerve-wracking Math subject, followed by Physics with your Albert Einstein-looking teacher. Last subject before lunch was English which makes you sleepy because of your teacher who reads her poems as if she’s singing you a lullaby. Namjoo nudges you every now and then so that you will not fall asleep. You ignored her nudges and so, the teacher noticed you sleeping and decided to call on you. When she was about to ask you something, the school bell rang.

“You are lucky Ms. _________”, your teacher said. “Class dismissed!”

‘Whew! Saved by the bell’, you thought.

You picked up your things and went to the cafeteria with Namjoo.

“Geez, _________. You should stop sleeping when classes are going on. And stop being late”, Namjoo said as you two walked together towards your favorite table in the cafeteria.

“But I’m really sleepy. I’ve been sleeping late these past few days.”

“You must be stalking Taemin online again, right?” Namjoo asked with a smirk.

At the mention of Taemin’s name, he entered the cafeteria at the same time. He is just wearing the school uniform but he looks like someone from a Kpop group. His brown hair shines under the sun coming from one of the windows. And when he smiles, his white teeth sparkles. ‘How perfect. He must be an angel sent here on Earth’, you thought to yourself.

“Ah, yeah”, you replied to Namjoo, still looking at Taemin.

“I knew it. See? You’re drooling”, Namjoo said.

“What? I mean no. Really no”, you said.

You and Namjoo started eating your lunch when you suddenly drop your empty cup. Just when you are about to pick it, a guy’s hand pick it up at the same time. You look to see who it was and saw that it was Taemin.

“Here,” he said as he handed you your cup.

“T-Thank you,” you said and you felt your cheeks heating up. You were surprised to see him smiled at you and winked. Your cheeks got hotter after that and Namjoo just sighed and shook her head.

The rest of the afternoon continued and all you could think of was Taemin. That moment when he smiled and winked at you.

SCHOOL BELL RINGS.

“Gosh! Did you see that Namjoo?  He smiled at me. He even winked at me. I can’t believe that Taemin would even care to look at me,” you said shaking Namjoo’s arm.

“Yes, yes I did. You were even redder than a tomato. I wish I took a picture of you. And please stop shaking me. I’m getting dizzy already.” Namjoo said as she tries to remove your hands from her arm.

 “Oh well, we have to part now”, Namjoo said and waved goodbye.

“Bye! See you tomorrow in school!” you shouted to Namjoo as you see her walk to her house. “And I’ll try not to be late for school!”

Namjoo stop dead in her tracks look back at you and shouted, “You better be!!” and laughed.

You laughed also and walked to your house. You passed by Bom’s salon and returned her bike. Before returning to your house, you decided to pass by a mini grocery to buy the ingredients you need for dinner. You live alone since your mother works overseas while your father is; well they are separated since you were little, so you do not see the two of them often. You arrived at the grocery and picked everything you needed. You were about to pay the things you brought when you suddenly heard the news about the meteor falling this morning. They showed the place where the meteor hit but there’s something weird about the place where the meteor fell.

‘Feathers? White feathers? Never knew meteors have feathers. Or maybe it hit a chicken crossing the street.’ You thought to yourself and smiled. ‘But a chicken in the heart of the city? Weird.’ You ignored the news and continued paying the things you bought.

You walked back home. As you walk back home you hum B1A4’s Beautiful Target. It was already getting dark when you reach the street where your house is located. However, as you walk nearer to your house you saw something lying near the electric post. You walked towards it cautiously and were surprised with what you saw.