chapter two

「paper flowers, paper hearts ♡」

It was almost as if she was a princess being escorted around. The keyword was almost. Seungri wasn’t exactly the “bodyguard” type. Rather, he was like a little kid who used his voice to get people to move rather than intimidation. She found him cute and she was very thankful to have found someone who was willing to help her out on her first day.

“You don’t mind if I call you noona, right?” Seungri asked as he turned around to look at her. His smile was one of those goofy smiles little boys have. She found herself smiling back.

“Follow me, noona. Seungri will guide you!” He grabbed her wrist and led her through the crowds of students being dismissed for the lunch period. He had been like this ever since the two had met this morning. Though Jessica hadn’t expected to meet a new friend right away, having Seungri around had proven to be a lot of fun. She always found herself giggling at the jokes he made and how hard he tried to make himself look good.

“But where are we going? I wanted to find my sister and see how she’s doing.” Jessica stated, causing the younger boy to come to a stop and turn around.

“You have a sister?! What year is she?” The big goofy grin was back. He looked giddy to the point that she was beginning to regret mentioning her little sister.

“First. Don’t even think about it.” She stated, knowing what that silly grin was all about.

“I want to meet her too! Then I can feel happy since I made two new friends today!” He shouted rather loudly.

“I’ll just text her later. Can we hurry? I’m hungry.” She said while patting her stomach. She wanted to shift the attention off of her little sister, and it helped that she really was hungry.

Seungri pouted a little, but then seemed to forget all about it as the two continued on the way to the cafeteria. To say that it was small was an understatement, but with all the students roaming around, it didn’t seem to be too big either. She followed behind Seungri as she glanced around at all the students. The girls were all so pretty and the boys were all so handsome. What was it about this school? How’d they all get to be this way?

She found herself growing a bit jealous seeing all the students sitting together and smiling. They were genuinely enjoying being around their friends and being in their presence. It made her miss the few close friends she had back in America. Without even realizing it herself, a small frown appeared on her face as she thought back to her old school and classmates.

“Noona, do you want something to eat or did you pack something from home?” She heard the boy’s voice ask her.

“I brought some stuff from home. Do you need food?” She was hoping that he had brought some food so that he wouldn’t leave her to go stand in line to get what the school had prepared. The thought of being alone in a room crawling with strangers wasn’t exactly appealing to her at the moment. He responded by patting his backpack and smiling, silently telling her that he had packed a lunch as well. Relieved that he wasn’t leaving her side, she smiled back at him as he continued to lead the way.

“You see that table over there?” He asked, pointing to a table they were approaching. There were a few people sitting there, smiling and laughing, as if someone had just told a funny joke.

“Is that where you usually sit?” Jessica asked, wondering if they were the friends that Seungri had been going on about all morning. If she didn’t know any better, she would have called Seungri a stalker, but she knew that he just really loved his hyungs.

“Those are my hyungs! Come on, I’ll introduce you!” He said excitedly. Before she knew it, Seungri had grabbed her wrist again and was walking towards the table so fast that he was practically dragging her along with him.

“Wait! I ne—” She didn’t even get the chance to prepare herself. In the blink of an eye, she was standing in front of the people at the table, awkwardly standing straight as they all looked at her with a confused look on their faces.

“This is Jessica noona. She’s new here. I met her this morning in class. You don’t mind if she sits with us, right?” Seungri asked, though he didn’t even seem to wait for an answer as he was already pulling her arm as a signal to sit down with him and his friends. She didn’t even get the chance for a proper greeting yet.

“Hello. I’m Jessica Jung. I just moved here. Please treat me well.” She greeted, standing up and bowing to the people around her. She stood for a little bit and smiled before taking her seat again.

“Don’t hang too much around Seungri. He’s a ert.” One of the guys said, not laughing or anything, but just as if it were a fact of life. The people around at the table started laughing, including Jessica herself. There was only one person who wasn’t.

“Yah! Don’t say that! Noona, don’t listen to Jiyong hyung. He just likes to make fun of me.” He crossed his arms and sulked.

“I’m Kwon Jiyong, by the way. Nice to meet you.” Jiyong said, laughing at his younger friend. He stood up and greeted her with a ninety degree bow, followed by his friends Daesung and Seunghyun.

“Thank you for letting me sit here today. I was worried about being lost on my first day.” She thanked them, grateful to have found people she could get along with.

“Seungri just likes talking to girls. I heard there would be someone coming soon. I figured Seungri would find you, he always talks to the new girls.” The boy sitting beside Jiyong said.

“Hyung! Do you have to say stiff like that?!” Seungri shouted at Daesung.

“Why? It’s true!” Jessica heard a female’s voice from behind her. Turning around, she was met by the smiling faces of a boy and girl. They both laughed and took a seat next to her at the table.

“Does everybody have to gang up on me like that?”

“Just admit the truth, you’ll feel a lot better.” Seungri hung his head in defeat.

“Don’t worry about him. I’m sure he has already tried to hit on you. Just ignore him, he’ll eventually get the hint.” The boy said, laughing as he looked at how depressed his young friend had just become. Jessica was sure that this wasn’t what he had in mind when he brought her over to meet them.

“I don’t mind. He’s been really helpful today.” Jessica smiled, getting up once again to introduce herself, only for the boy to stop her.

“Don’t be so formal. We’re all really glad to help you out.” Jessica sat back down and bowed her head towards the two.

“I’m Jessica, who just moved here. Please treat me well.”

“I’m Youngbae, and this is my girlfriend, Eunji. Welcome to your first day of school!” He said, as he and his girlfriend bowed their heads respectfully as well.

“Where did you move here from?” Eunji asked, opening her water bottle and taking a sip.

“I just came to Seoul a few months ago from America. We had some problems and decided to move here to help out some family members.” Jessica said, watching as the eyes of those around her widen in amazement of her birthplace.

The rest of the lunch was filled with childhood stories of how it was living in the States and growing up in the same state that Hollywood is in. The lunch period seemed to fly by quickly, much to Jessica’s disappointment. She had enjoyed being with her new friends and felt sad that there time together was ending so quickly. She took up all her trash and managed to take some of the others’ trash, much to their protest, and took it all to the trashcan. When she returned to the table, everybody was getting up and gathering their things.

“Noona, take care of yourself. I’ll see you in class tomorrow!” Seungri said, bowing and leaving quickly. Jessica began to feel slightly panicked, forgetting that Seungri was only in homeroom with her and wasn’t going to be in her next class. His next class was across the school from hers, from what he had told her earlier.

“Where are you headed next? I’m sure one of us can help you out.” Seunghyun stated from behind her. The lost look on her face must have been more obvious than she had thought. She handed him her schedule and he examined it along with Jiyong, trying to figure out how to help their new friend.

“Yah!” Jiyong suddenly shouted, “Youngbae and I have the same class as you next period!”

The expression on her face changed from lost to happy in a matter of seconds. She had told herself that she wouldn’t mind being alone on the first day, but it all changed when she met Seungri’s friends. They were all so kind and she worried she wouldn’t be able to see them or talk to them without Seungri around.

“Stick with us and you’ll be fine.” Youngbae placed his arm around Jiyong and gave her a thumbs up.

“Youngbae and I are the best team out there!” The two high fived each other as the people around them laughed at the two. It was obvious that the two were best friends, something Jessica found herself envious of.

“Be careful, between the two of them, their brain size is about one third of the normal human being. You might end up supervising them. I honestly feel kind of bad for you right now.” Eunji laughed, patting Jessica on the shoulder.

“Yah! Don’t say things like that!” Youngbae detached himself from Jiyong and made his way over to his girlfriend. She stuck out her tongue at him and he gave her a kiss on the cheek. Jessica found herself feeling quite awkward and turned to say her goodbyes to the rest of the group. The all bowed to one another and left the cafeteria, splitting up upon exiting.

“Can I ask you a question?” Youngbae leaned in to ask, walking beside her.

“Sure.” Jessica answered, now noticing how close Youngbae was to her. Jiyong was on the other side, as if trying to prevent her from being pushed by the students filing in and out of the hallway.

“You said your family just moved here from America, right?” He asked, as Jessica nodded.

“Is your last name, by chance, Jung?” Jessica turned to him, a confused look making its way across her face. Jiyong, who had heard the question, nodded, seemingly answering the question for Jessica.

“Do you live on the street right behind a noodle shop? With a white fence?” Jessica slowly nodded, not sure how she was feeling hearing on this information from someone she had just met not even an hour ago.

"I live in the house across the street. Nice to meet you."