Cross That Bridge

Call It Cliché
Please log in to read the full chapter

There was a cool sensation against Taemin’s skin, that made him shiver in his sleep. As the odd feeling persisted, gradually traveling from just below his earlobe down to his collarbone, he was torn away from the serenity of his dream. Wiping his neck with the back of his hand, he kept his eyes tightly shut in hopes of falling back to sleep. However, his plan quickly failed, as a firm kiss to his lips drew him to open his eyes. He squinted, catching sight of his boyfriend's hazy figure. Jonghyun was leaning over him with a gentle smile. His hair was dripping wet and his torso bare. All he was wearing was a cream towel that tightly clung to his hips.
“Did I wake you?” Jonghyun asked, despite the answer being incredibly obvious.
With a grunt, Taemin rolled his eyes and pulled the duvet up to his chin.
“Your face is all puffy," Jonghyun tilted his head as though he was examining his boyfriend's face. Stretching out his arm, he came to the conclusion, "You look like a hairless chipmunk.”
Taemin frowned and batted away the hand that reached for his face, “Is that supposed to be a compliment?”
Chuckling to himself, Jonghyun bravely attempted to squeeze Taemin’s cheek again and again, until the younger gave up and allowed his cheeks to be pushed up into a forced smile.
“You're annoying,” Taemin mumbled through stretched lips.
Jonghyun leaned forward, “I love you too."
Their lips gently grazed past each other as he spoke. Jonghyun’s warm, minty breath tickled Taemin's nostrils. Expecting another kiss, he closed his eyes, but the comforting presence left him. He sat up then. His vision was still a little blurry at first, but it soon became clear as he watched his boyfriend step into a pair of boxers and then discard the towel.
Jonghyun continued to get dressed, unaware of the pout still linger on Taemin's lips. After putting on a pair of suit trousers and shrugging on a plain, white shirt, he began to ruffle his hair with a small towel.
"You should get up, I have to leave for work in half an hour."
Stretching out his limbs, Taemin asked what the time was. He patiently waited for his boyfriend to dry his hair until satisfied and pick up his watch, from his clothes drawer, before fitting it around his wrist. As soon as heard 6:32am, he began to groan and threw himself back onto the mattress.
“Come on, Tae,” Jonghyun made his way back to the bed to pull on the blanket, “It's not that early.”
The duvet flew back down as Taemin sharply sat up, "It's not even 7 o'clock yet, how is that not early? I'm tired!” His voice cracked, still not fully adjusted to being used so soon after waking up.
"Well, I can drive you to your apartment, on my way to work, and you can sleep there for as long as you want,” Jonghyun reasoned.
Kicking the duvet away, Taemin dramatically sighed and dragged himself out of bed, in a silent agreement. He ignored the quiet 'Cute,' that Jonghyun mumbled and quickly went to the toilet. When he returned, the bed was made and his boyfriend was out of sight. He stood by the door, contemplating whether or not he should take a shower. There wasn't much point in doing so, he would have to put on the same things he wore the day before. Besides, he didn't smell bad and he could always shower once he got home. Deciding to leave it until later, he grabbed his clothes that were hanging
over the wardrobe door, Jonghyun probably moved them from the floor. He took off the tank top he'd borrowed and put on his baggy jumper and fitted jeans. He didn't even bother combing his hair, instead he tied up his blonde locks into a loose bun and scrutinised his reflection in the bedroom mirror. His hair was starting to turn an odd shade of yellow and his ends were split. With a sigh, he gathered his earrings from the surface of the chest of drawers and put them on.

As he finished getting dressed, his phone began to ring. Both his and Jonghyun's phones were resting on the bedside table. He grabbed the ringing mobile, yawning as he answered it without much thought.
"Hey! I was going to have a chat with you later, but I don't know what you're doing this evening, so I thought I'd give you a call before you head out."
The voice on the other end of the line sounded rather unfamiliar. Taemin paused, quickly raking through his brain to think of who it could be, before replying. "Soojung?" Was his best guess.
"Who? No it's me- Wait. Who is this?"
There was a really awkward moment of silence, in which Taemin briefly thought his friend was playing a trick on him. In all honesty, however, it sounded nothing like her and she wasn't the type to do early morning prank calls. He then felt utterly confused for a second, before his better judgement told him to look at the device. As he peered down, his eyes widened. The caller ID read, ‘Sodam x’. Though he’d never met her, he quickly recognised the name as belonging to Jonghyun’s older sister. Out of embarrassment he quickly hung up and threw the mobile onto the bed. Immediately after it left his hand, regret made his face burn up as he realised how rude it was to end the call so abruptly. As a mild sense of panic came over him, Jonghyun poked his head into the bedroom, asking if he wanted a cup of coffee. Rather than replying, Taemin let out a nervous laugh.
"Are you alright?" Jongyun stepped into the room. 
"Yeah. Kinda. I just spoke to your sister."
Jonghyun tilted his head, perplexity written across his face, "My sister?"
"Ha, yeah. And I hung up on her."
Before Jonghyun had a chance to respond, his phone started to ring, again. Both of them had their attention taken by the sounding device. Taemin wanted to cover his face as his boyfriend picked up his mobile and held it to his ear.

"Hello. Yeah, it's me... I'm fine, you? Good... Uh, my friend," Jonghyun glanced at Taemin before continuing, "Listen, I'm about to leave for work so can I call you back later? Yeah, we'll talk then. Yeah sure. Thanks." He ended the call, giving his boyfriend a questioning look, who was quick to explain what happened and repeatedly apologised. Pulling Taemin into a loose hug, Jonghyun rested his chin on his boyfriend's shoulder.

“Apology accepted, but really, there's no need to stress about it. My sister isn't easily offended, in fact she was pretty amused by it.”
“I'm not stressing. But, that was just so awkward and…”
“And?”
Taemin shuffled out of the embrace, “Nothing, it doesn't matter.”
"Tell me."
"It's nothing. Come on, you'll be late for work."
Sighing, Jonghyun left it at that and grabbed his keys.
They made their way down to the basement floor where Jonghyun's car was parked. After shoving his bag onto the back seats, Taemin took the front passenger seat and rested his feet on the dashboard. As Jonghyun sat down, he pinched one of Taemin's legs, earning a loud yelp from him.

Rubbing his sore thigh, the younger brought both his legs down, "That actually hurt," he whined.
"It was supposed to. I cleaned the car last weekend."
Muttering something under his breath, Taemin turned to grab his seat belt.
"What did you say? You want to get out and walk home." Jonghyun joked.
"Huh? Nope, I didn't say anything."
Their eyes met as Jonghyun started the engine.
"You're lucky you're cute."

With his tongue sticking out, showing off his piercing, Taemin wrinkled his nose in distaste. He didn't particularly mind being called cute, but twice in less than an hour was more than enough.
The duration of the drive was filled with Taemin's light snoring and soft music from the radio. The lack of traffic made them arrive at their destination sooner than expected. As Jonghyun parked the car, Taemin stirred awake. Rubbing his eyes, he gazed out the window and spotted his roommate leaving, probably on his way to the gym.  Taemin shared a tiny two bedroom flat with an foreign student from China, who attended the same university as him. They were both dance students, however his roommate, Yinxing, was in his third year whereas Taemin was currently in his second. They got along well. Yinxing didn't talk much, he mostly read books or worked out. Whenever they did speak to each other, their conversations almost always ended up being unusually philosophical. Yinxing was also rather domestic. He always cleaned up after himself and kept their open plan living room and kitchen area tidy. Occasionally, Yinxing would even cook for both of them, Taemin was very grateful for those moments. He couldn't really cook anything himself and often just ate take out food, which didn't make up an ideal diet for a dancer. In general, Yinxing was nice and Taemin was almost sad that he was going to have to get a new roommate at the end of the academic year.
The sound of the back door opening pulled Taemin out of his daydream. His boyfriend retrieved his backpack and brought it to the passenger door. Climbing out of the car, Taemin thanked Jonghyun and accepted his bag. He was about to waddle off, but was stopped by a slight pull on his hair. He turned to see Jonghyun looking at him with folded arms.
"Aren't you forgetting something?"
Taemin attempted to subtlety glance around and then quickly pressed his lips against Jonghyun’s. “I'll text you later. Have a good day at work,” he waved as he headed towards his apartment.
Jonghyun couldn't help but grin as he got back in the car. Taemin wasn't necessarily a shy person, but he was always timid about public displays of affection, whether it be between the two of them or another couple. To Jonghyun, it was rather comical as his boyfriend often demanded some form of skin-ship when they were alone, which Jonghyun was more than happy to provide.

Halfway through his continued journey to work, his phone started to ring- again. As he stopped at a red light, he put it on loudspeaker and placed it in the mobile stand beside the driving wheel.
"Hello?"
"Hey, Jjong!" His sister's voice spread throughout the car.
"Hey, now isn't the best time, I'm on my way to work."
"I know, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I need confirmation!"
Glancing at the phone, Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows. "Confirmation? About what exactly?"
"I can not believe that you didn't tell me."
"Sodam, what are you talking about?"
"You have a boyfriend!" She sang her words with a teasing tone and seemed to be unnecessarily excited about her theory.
However, Jonghyun didn't miss a beat as he played dumb with his response, "Since when?"
"Come on, I'm not that stupid. Since when do you have a guy over that early in the morning without being in some kind of relationship, huh?"
"Oh

Please log in to read the full chapter