Our Second Meeting

Falling In Love With My Friend

She had no idea what she was doing in the recording studio of DEANFLUENZA, the world famous singer and songwriter. She was almost as star struck as she was that time she saw Jung Junha at that jjajangmyun place. But no one can make her as starstruck as Jung Junha, obviously.
“Anyeong Hayi.” He greeted.
“Anyeonghaseyo Dean-oppa. Nice to see you again.”
“Yeah, definitely great to see you again. How have you been doing?”
They’d last seen each other for WINNER’s song Baby Baby, as they had both sung that song for covers. It was around a month since they’d last seen each other but Hayi couldn’t stop thinking about him since.
“I’ve been doing well, you know, running through my songs, doing photo shoots for the album…”
“Of course. You must be busy.” Dean replied. “Well, I am looking forward to hearing you feature in my album song. Your voice is captivating.”
“Yes, thank you. I am grateful to you for asking me to do the honor.”
He chuckled, “Now, shall we get going?” He gestured to the recording room where the mike was conveniently set up already. With a smile, he opened the door for her and she walked in.
Dean sat back his black leather chair as he rested his head on his hand. She must be busy with her own songs but she freaking memorized mine.
Hayi stood in front of the mike with no lyrics. She firmly looked at Dean, giving him the OK.
She doesn’t even need to warm up?
As if she read his mind, she explained, “I prepared right before this so that I would be ready to go right into recording.”
“Okay, Hayi. I’m ready.” Dean tapped the black button in front of him. The dome-shaped aspect of it reminded her of the EASY button at Staples. The song began to play.
Hayi gave a nodd and then opened . “As if you’re at a loss for words. Your eyes are wondering. I don’t have to see it to know what happened”. Her eyes were closed, completely immersed in the music. Occasionally, she moved her right hand to her stomach or in front of her, as she sung the runs. When she was done with the verse, she opened her eyes.
“Good job, Hayi. Just one thing, when you sing “I don’t have to see it to know what happened, can you emphasize the word ‘happened’?”
Yeah sure, she said and sung that part again. Dean thought it lacked something but he didn’t know what. “Hayi, can you please redo that part?”
“Yeah, that’s fine.”
But upon hearing it once again, he was not satisfied with it. Something… is wrong.
“Hayi-ah, is your voice sore?”
Her eyes didn’t waver. But he saw her body stiffen. Her fingers which have been resting by her sides also began to tremble.
“Hayi… do you have a cold? Or something more serious?”
“No, I don’t. I think you overestimated my abilities. Should I redo the part if you’re not satisfied?”
Dean did not want to let her continue in fear that her condition would get worse. But her gaze was adamant, her dark eyes fixed on his. I can do this. Don’t stop me, they seemed to be saying. So he gave her a nod and with a deep breath, pressed the play button.
The track came on and Hayi opened again. He saw her stomach expand more than it did the last time she sang. Her sound was amplified but it didn’t sound full. Hayi’s singing can encompass the depths of the Pacific and reverberates in the largest of animals- sea or land. Her sound vibrates in your skull, your heart, and the whole body- from the tips of the toes to the crown of the head. Her rich and powerful sound makes you want to listen to her all day. But for some reason, it didn’t today.
“Hayi, we’ll skip the chorus and get to the bridge of the song.” Dean scrutinized her face, trying to sense any uneasiness in her voice. Yet, he couldn’t find it in her countenance. She looked completely relaxed; her small hands back at her sides and her eyes closed.
“Okay, no problem.” She began singing with more emotion than she did before. Her eyebrows were tense, her eyes closed, and her subtle body gestures made him feel the sorrow and heartbreak the song was meant to convey. Yet, when Hayi reached the highest note, Dean heard a croak come out of her. Hayi’s eyes welled with tears and her left hand instinctively lifted up, perhaps to . Dean froze with worry. But before her hand reached her neck, she jerked her it down again and continued to sing. Yet, the sound of her singing sounded thinner and hoarser. The high notes seemed to be taking a toll on Hayis throat.
“Hayi, you should stop. It’s okay if you do.” Dean said as he turned off the music.
“What? No, please,” Hayi affirmed. “I can continue.”
“Hayi-“
“It’s just a cold. I’m fine. Just because I have a cold doesn’t mean I should stop recording.”
“No. I’m sensing this isn’t just a cold. Please, just give your voice a break for now.” Dean insisted, his friendly look was replaced with a dead serious one.
“No, you don’t understand. “ Hayi asserted, her gaze still as fierce as ever.
“Yes, I do.” He opened the door of the glass recording studio and strode to her. He swiftly put his hand on before she could say anything.
Hayi let out a squeal as Dean pressed her vocal node.
“You are going to be harming your voice even more like this. It seems clear that you have this condition so I won’t be letting you sing.” He waited for her to refuse and insist on continuing the recording but she didn’t.
To his surprise, her eyes remained determined. Yet, they were moist and pooling with tears. More so than they were before. Obviously, she was already in pain but she put her in more pain when you pretty much choked her with one hand. You’re so stupid Dean.
“I am really sorry Hayi.
“No, it’s fine.”She replied but her nose started sniffling and in embarrassment, left the studio.
Seeing her head down with her hand covering her face as she walked out, he felt a pang in his chest. Why do I feel so guilty? After all, it’s her fault she didn’t take care of .
But he couldn’t help feeling remorseful as he sat down. Aish, Dean. What are you going to do now?
He couldn’t sit still. His leg jittered up and down. Then, he suddenly got up and headed towards the hallway. Wait, but she must be in the bathroom. Dean, you’ll look like a ert if you go into the ladies bathroom. Okay, Dean. Game plan: you must think of a way to infiltrate the female restroom in a non-suspicious and non-y way. You must not creep Hayi out.
Now let’s see what we can do with this silk scarf and fedora that were conveniently abandoned at the recording studio…


While Dean was devising a cosplay strategy, Hayi was in front of the bathroom sink trying to wipe away her tears with a wad of toilet paper she gathered. It was no Kleenex but it’ll do.
What am I going to do? Dean-oppa pretended not to notice but I’m sure he saw my tears. He’s too nice to mention it but it’ll be so awkward when I return. Also, I have never cried in front of anyone- my parents, my friends, and even my dog. Okay, maybe not my dog. Daisy is the only one I can cry in front of without fearing vulnerability or causing her to worry. Now he’s going to think I’m unprofessional, crying in a recording studio just because of throat problems. At the thought of it, her nodes throbbed again, stronger than before. Agh, she winced. She gave her face a cold splash of water, then saw a horrendous image. It was so wrong yet comical. She couldn’t believe her eyes.
She couldn’t believe he of all people…