hidden beauty

Frog Face

A/N: Almost 13k of crap. I am honestly so dissatisfied with how this story turned out but I hope that all of you enjoy it nevertheless.
I also didn't proofread this yet, sorry for any mistakes hahaha
PS: I used Junmyeon's stage name for a reason.
PPS: I don't know the names of Yixing's parents, so I used what came to my mind.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Once upon a time, in a kingdom surrounded by nothing but forest with the most fertile soil, a little baby boy was born.
Despite of not having any medical help and being on her own during birth, the hunter's wife was able to deliver a healthy young baby with plump lips, a lovely little button nose and big, round eyes without any problems.
The baby didn't cry, no, he only wore a gentle expression on his face accompanied by a soft smile.
 

“He looks just like you...” The young mother whispered softly to her husband while cradling her little boy, holding him close to her chest. “So perfect.”
 

A gentle hum was the only sound the huntsman made as he caressed the back of his son's head in a loving manner, smiling as brightly as never before in his life.
 

“I really don't know what to say.” He began to say after a while of simply enjoying the atmosphere and watching his little family. “Thank you so much for gifting me a son. He's beautiful and I'm sure that he'll be just as strong and independent as you, my lovely wife. God has truly blessed us with one of his angels.”
 

The woman lifted her head to gaze lovingly at her husband and leaned closer to share a kiss with him. The baby boy in her arms began to stir, but he only yawned before falling back into a slumber with a content smile on his lips.
 

Days passed by and turned into weeks, months and before the little family knew it, their little son e year old.
 

Every day passed by in the same loving manner, with the woman and mother preparing a healthy and delicious breakfast for both of her men and the huntsman kissing both of them goodbye as he went for another trip with his group.
 

The family was well known in the village due to the man being such a skilled hunter, and he was seen as the golden trophy of the hunting group. Every trip was a success, no matter the season of the year and the given circumstances.

 

However, days passed by without the return of said hunting group and the wife started to worry.

 

“Don't worry, child. He's going to come back healthily with his kill just like he always does. You shouldn't stress yourself too much – think of Yixing. You can't neglect him and his needs just because you're on your own for a short period of time.” The village elder told her as she shared her concerns.

 

The wife told herself to believe in those wise words as well as her husbands strength and therefore spent time with her only son, playing and laughing with him as the days turned into weeks.

 

Her little baby boy really did resemble his father a lot. They had the same eyes, the same nose and even the same ears. The only thing he inherited from her were his mouth and his lips.

 

“You really are going to be such a handsome young man once you're all grown up. Just like your strong daddy Yifei.” She whispered to her sleeping son excitedly before kissing his forehead and both of his chubby cheeks. “Sleep well.”

 

She anticipated the next day, hoping for her husband's arrival, only to be disappointed once again.

 

It wasn't until three days later that one of the searching troop came back to the city with devastating news.

 

“Mei...” The leader of the group paid her a visit straight away, knowing about her son and how worried she was. “I'm really sorry. It seems like the group was surprised and attacked by a giant mother bear which saw them as intruders and feared for the safety of her cubs.”

 

Mei shook her head slowly, not understanding the words she was being told. It seems as if it went in at one ear and out straight at the other. She couldn't comprehend the words, wasn't able to grab a single one of them. “W-what?” She asked quietly.

 

“You know that there is only so much we can do. We rushed to them as soon as we noticed their wounded state and hurried back to the village, but the damage had already been done. I'm truly sorry, Mei, but you need to take care of Yixing now. He's still only a toddler. Raise him with care and love and tell him about all the great achievements his father has made. Now that he has lost him, he can't lose you too.” The middle aged man spoke wisely, placing his hand on her shoulder in a comforting manner.

 

Soon, he got up from the chair and went to the door of the little house, only to stop at it without looking back. “My condolences. I, as well as the other men from the searching troop, are willing to lend you a helping hand whenever needed. Losing Yifei isn't only your loss, Mei, but it also is ours. We lost our brother and leader. May his soul be welcomed in God's paradise.”

 

He then left without saying another word.

 

Mei stood still, her gaze never leaving the door even though the man had long left. Minutes, maybe even hours passed by, Mei didn't know but she didn't really care either. She was unable to grasp the whole situation, to understand what had happened and she was uncertain about what was going to happen next.

 

It wasn't until Yixing cried, that she woke up from her trance.

 

Her boy, her little baby boy, he was crying. He was crying because he was alone, he was crying because he needed his mother or maybe he knew that he had lost someone dear? Was a baby able to feel the bond between father and son breaking? Mei didn't know, she felt like she didn't know anything at all. The world seemed so foreign, as if she were new to walking on these grounds.

 

Hot tears streamed down her face and it felt as if they were burning her skin, leaving her face scarred with longing and the aching feeling of helplessness.
Mei went to her son's chamber, looking into his cot.
He was weeping terribly, his face red and full of snot, screaming as if someone had ripped off his limbs. Despite of feeling the presence of his mother and being able to see her, he didn't calm down and instead kept crying louder and louder.

 

Yixing was a really quiet kid and had never behaved this weirdly before. He usually just sniffed a few times, no matter how much he hurt himself, before continuing to explore the world.

 

It wasn't until Mei's own tears fell onto his chubby cheeks that his cries started to die down and he was soon looking up at this mother with his big, teary eyes.

 

“Yixing...” She whispered quietly, gazing straight back at him. “You look just like him.”
Strands of hair fell into her face, covering her eyes while she kept looking at her one and only child. She picked him up and cradled him, holding him so tight that she was almost suffocating her own son. “Mama loves you so much. You look just like your daddy, you know? You can't leave mama, you just can't.” Mei kept whispering into her son's ear as she bounced him, her grip, however, never loosening even one bit.

 

“You're going to be with mama forever, right? Nobody is going to take you away from me.”

 

 

“Oh look! It's the ugly frog again!” Minseok told his friends Jongdae, Chanyeol and Baekhyun and the four of them soon began to make weird quaking noises at Yixing.

They were all laughing and making fun of him as he struggled to fight his way through the wall of taller boys.

 

Yixing was terribly small for his age, and even Baekhyun was more than half a head taller despite of only being seven and therefore a year younger.

 

“Awww, look. The little baby frog looks like he's gonna cry soon. Are you gonna snitch to your mommy how mean we are?” Chanyeol said, teasing Yixing even further.

 

Big crocodile tears found their way down Yixing's cheeks as he crouched down onto the cold ground, trying to hide his face behind his tiny hands. He didn't want to verify Chanyeol's claim of him crying soon and he didn't want anyone to see his ugly face either.

 

Nobody knew why the well-regarded huntsman's and belle of the village's once beautiful baby boy grew up to be an ugly kid. His face was scarred and deformed, one eye bigger than the other with a small bump on the bridge of his nose.
Despite of his beautiful features turning into nothing but a nightmare, his mother loved him no less. She would cook only the best meals for him, play with him, sing him lullabies and tell him all about his baba Yifei. Yixing simply had the best mother in the world and he would trade her for nothing, not even a pretty appearance.

 

“Channie, you were right, that ugly frog really is crying. Come on, there is no need to hide yourself, we know how nasty your face looks.” Baekhyun was the next to humiliate him, as he nudged Yixing's arm with his foot. However, the tiny boy didn't budge and instead curled up to make himself even smaller.

 

 

“Hey, what are you guys doing? Leave the little boy alone!”

 

 

This had to be someone new, because Yixing had never heard this voice before. He knew most of the people in the village and none of them sounded like this.

 

The voice cracked a little, the owner seemingly experiencing the changes of puberty, as he ran closer. Curiosity got the best out of Yixing and he slowly lifted his head a little, pulling one of his hands away in order to be able to see the happenings in front of him.

 

It was a boy, maybe 13 years of age, with brown hair and a rather nice stature. His muscles were clearly visible and combined with his grim expression he looked rather intimidating.

 

“Stop hurting him and get lost before I forget myself!” He told the four boys angrily and quickly went to Yixing, crouching down next to him after the other children had left. “Are you alright?”

 

Yixing could do nothing but stare at the older boy in astonishment. The last time someone had helped him had been long ago, as the villagers had given up after noticing that the boys would never stop teasing Yixing. They thought of it as a phase, as something the kids would change when they grew older and more mature. However, it had been years and nothing had happened. Yixing still bore the same pain every single day and it only got worse.

 

“Did they hurt you?” The boy asked again, this time more insistent.

 

All Yixing could do was to shake his head.

The boy in front of him looked like an angel, so truly beautiful.

Close up, Yixing was able to notice the porcelain like skin without any sort of blemishes, his straight nose, his deep brown eyes, his white teeth, his-

 

Shocked about his own thoughts, Yixing quickly got up and hurried away from the other boy, but not before bowing deeply as a sign of gratitude. Nevertheless, he didn't speak a word and rushed on his way back home.

 

 

The way home was full of people and Yixing couldn't prevent to bump into some of them, gaining snarky comments over and over again.

 

Shortly after the death of his father, his mother and him moved into a small house near the fringe of the city. Mei had claimed to be unable to live at a place with so many memories and therefore searched for help within the community – which she promptly gained by her fellow villagers of the searching troop. Some of them did it out of compassion, others because they wanted to impress the young but nonetheless beautiful mother.

Even until now, she still had a lot of wooers despite of being a widow with child.

 

While his mother was popular among the people living in the village, Yixing was an eyesore.

 

Other kids , parents ignored him or even publicly showed just how repulsed they were by his appearance and elder people only gave him the sympathetic eye.

They knew that something wasn't right, that things went wrong within the community and that people didn't treat him correctly. However, they were only a minority compared to the other two groups and despite of being a lot wiser, they were unable to change things.

 

Yixing didn't mind, honestly. The malicious stares, the whispers, the remarks – as long as he had his mother, he didn't care what people thought or said behind his back.

His ugly appearance may have caused him to be hated by other but it had also toughened him up.

 

 

“Don't worry too much. I know that you're going to do great, son, just like your father.”

His mother whispered softly as she smoothened his hair. “You've grown up so much, I still remember when I first fed you. Oh my..”, she then her thumb to wipe away some nonexistent dirt on his cheek.

 

“Mom, please...” Suho whined, struggling to get out of her death grip. “I look fine, stop trying to baby me. I'm going to be part of the King's guard! How are other people supposed to take me seriously when you keep coddling me?” However, knowing that even these kinds of arguments were invalid for his mother, the thirteen-year-old decided to use his secret weapon which had caused him to win many fights in his life against his mother – his infamous pout.

 

“Oh, come on! Don't look at me like that, you know I don't stand a chance against your pouty lips!” His mother then whined as if she were the same age as him. She tightened her grip around his body only to press her one and only son against her full bosom. “I'm going to miss you so much! As if it weren't enough that your father is always in the castle protecting the king – no, you have to leave me too!”

 

“But I'm still going to be here every day, mom! I'll only be by the training ground near the castle during day time and be back in the evening. You're acting as if I were to leave the country...”, he mumbled against her bust, wheezing slightly due to her tight grip but hugged her back nonetheless.

 

“By the way, have you ever seen...” Suho then started talking but stopped in the middle of his sentence. He couldn't just ask if his mother had ever seen am exceptionally ugly boy around town – especially when Suho didn't think that a child could ever look ugly. “There is this boy, I... I think I've never seen him before. Other children were making fun of him..” He then rephrased his thoughts and looked up into his mother's eyes.

 

She thought for a little and loosened her grip around his body. “Mhm... I'm not quite sure who you mean, children can be mean and I'm sure that those little rascals around here are making fun of many other boys and girls. Can you describe him?”

 

“Well, they called him 'frog face'. He was pretty tiny and it seemed as if something about his face wasn't quite right.” The young boy said, trying to remember as many details as possible.

 

“Oh, I think I know who you mean! One eye is bigger than the other and he looks delicate as if his body were to break at any moment, right? That's little Yixing, that poor boy. I really wonder which sins his parents have committed for him to have such a terrible appearance.”, she then spoke commiseratively.

 

“What happened to him?”

 

“As if I'd know, that's what the whole community has been puzzling over for the past years! You know, that poor boy lost his father when he was barely a child – still only an infant! It's said that he looked beautiful as a little baby boy, just what one would expect from the prettiest woman and the most handsome huntsman in town. But his complexion started to change as he grew older and it certainly wasn't in a positive way.” She sighed. “I'm not surprised that you haven't seen him before. He and his mother live near the forest on the outskirts and I know for a fact that the little boy is terribly shy. If you watch close enough, you may be able to see him sneak around the city.”

 

The blond boy nodded his head slowly, trying to process all the information he had just gained. He didn't really understand why people were treating Yixing this way, he didn't look that strange to him.

 

Sure, he seemed to be some sort of extraordinary but that didn't necessarily mean that he was bad.

 

He wanted to get closer to the other boy, but it was nothing more than a mere wish.

Yixing would probably try swerve every sort of approaching, just like he avoided talking to Suho the other day. And with the start of his training period as guard for the king, the blond knew for a fact that he wouldn't have a lot of free time.

 

“But why are you asking so suddenly, my baby bear?” His mother suddenly pulled him out of his thoughts.

 

“As I said, other children were making fun of him and I stopped them from going further. He then simply bowed to me and left in a hurry.”

 

His mother's complexion suddenly turned as bright as never before, her smile reaching from one cheek to the other. Before Suho knew it, he was pressed against her bosom once again – much to his chagrin. “Oh, I knew that Suho was the perfect name for you when I first gave birth! Your father kept arguing with me, I tell you, but I just knew that you'd live up to it's meaning. My little guardian, not only were you protecting that poor boy but you're also going to guard our king. I'm so proud of you, oh my, I'm such a good mother!” She then suddenly praised herself out of nowhere.

 

Suho merely sighed in response.

 

His lips, however, formed a satisfied smile as he hugged his mother back once again.

 

 

Years passed by without any sort of luck for Suho.

 

Until the age of eighteen, his days consisted of getting up at the crack of dawn, hurrying to the training ground and practicing until every muscle of his body seemed so sore that he could no longer move, returning under the favour of night and getting a way too short rest.

 

If it weren't for the many competitors, Suho wouldn't have outdone himself as much as he did but he really did want to be part of the king's guard.

With his father being part of it, he had been told from a young age that he should try his best to be accepted as well in order to protect the king.

 

Being able to come across Yixing was therefore a hard task for Suho which seemed more and more impossible as he grew older.

 

 

“Suho!”

 

The blond man sat in his saddle securely, his white horse walking right next to Tao's black one. The both of them were leading the guard with the King in the middle of the whole formation in his carriage. With their arrival from a trip to the southern kingdom, a land full of the most exotic flora and fauna, they were now welcomed by the many townspeople as they made their way to the castle.

 

Suho turned his head to the side as he heard his name being called and was able to spot his mother almost immediately. He shot her a gentle smile as his horse kept walking slowly and mouthed a 'later' which his mother acknowledged with a nod.

 

“Are you gonna go home after we finished our duty?” Tao asked without even bothering to look into the blond-haired's direction. “I mean, since we're probably going to get some sort of free time after our long trip and all that.”

 

“Well...” Suho started, “I'm definitely going to pay my parents a visit. But you do know about the festivity that is going to take place tonight, right? The King's return needs to be celebrated after all as well as the great deal we were able to make with the southern kingdom.” He then replied calmly.

 

Despite of their kingdom being blessed by having fertile soil, food and cattle they had a lack of ore reserves. However, due the signing of the treaty with the southern kingdom they would no longer have to worry about these kinds of things and were able to produce things such as tools on their own demand in exchange for fruits, vegetables and furs.

 

“I actually think we're going to be off for longer than just one evening. We've been away for about a month, getting two or three weeks of holiday seems to be just fair.” Tao told him with a mischievous grin on his lips. Suho only laughed in response but silently agreed to what the male on the horse next to him said. They had been away for quite some time and the trip had indeed been exhausting. Not everything went as smoothly as planned but they somehow still managed to make their way through all of it without anyone getting hurt.

 

“Let's wait and see what the king is going to announce before we cook something up.” Suho then said after a moment of silence.

 

And indeed, Tao was proven right almost as soon as they arrived at the castle and the king told his closest guards to enjoy their weeks of freedom.

 

 

A relieved sigh left Suho as he stood in front of the castle. The sky seemed to be of endless blue colour with the sun smiling right back at the man in front of the big building.

He was twenty one years old now, soon to be twenty two, and looked nothing like the thirteen-year-old boy he used to be – well, except for his blond mane of course.

Not only did his voice grow deeper and his facial features become more clear-cut but his body also changed a lot. With all of the training he received, he was able to built a fair amount of muscle, resulting in his shoulders to become broader, his biceps to grow wider and his overall appearance to seem more defined and healthy.

 

He slowly made his way through town, greeting some people back here and there when they greeted him first. It did feel nice to be back in town again like this – without any sort of obligation. Suho usually spent most of his time in the castle, the place where he was practically living in, since he had to protect the king at any time, be it night or day. Going through town meant leaving their kingdom in order to visit foreign lands – the king's protection, however, always ranked first and foremost.

 

It wasn't until he passed by the alleyway he saw the strange looking boy in all those years ago that Suho stopped walking. Honestly, he hadn't stopped thinking about Yixing ever since he first saw him. It wasn't necessarily the way he looked that intrigued him so much but rather the way he had behaved. There was a desire burning inside Suho, he felt the need to get behind the big mystery called Yixing.

 

The only problem was that he didn't know how.

 

Work had been his priority over the past few years but now that Suho finally had some time off, he was determined to find a way to get closer to the boy.

 

“Just why... why are you the way you are...”, he whispered to himself, still staring at the empty alley. He bit his lower lip, looking at the street for a few more seconds before finally continuing his way home.

 

 

“And now, after all of us have heard the news, let's celebrate this great achievement! Let's dance, sing and drink!”

 

Yixing sat on the ground, one street away from the festivity that took place. He could hear the joyous singing of people, their laughter, their endless chatting and he could feel the positivity radiating off them. It made him feel angry – because he would never be able to be part of such a celebration without being ridiculed or made fun of, yet he felt extremely curious. What was celebrating like? What did it feel like to drink rum, wine and beer and amuse oneself in the company of other people?

 

Yixing didn't know all that and it made him feel angry about the circumstances he was in.

 

He was alone, always alone, and nobody cared for him except of his mother. His beloved mother was the only person who paid attention to him, who held him and who put his pieces back together when he felt like falling apart.

 

And even though Yixing knew that he would never be part of this community, not even in his next life and the life after that, even though he was mad at every single one of them – he was also burning with inquisitiveness.

 

That's the reason why he left his safe haven and why he snuck out of his house despite of his mother telling him to stay at home. Yixing wasn't one to usually break rules and go out like that, he preferred staying with his mother, but he needed to see such a big celebration with his own eyes.

 

Even though he couldn't take part in it, he was still able to experience it in some way.

 

Yixing turned his body and pressed it closer against the cool wall in order to sneak a glance at the happenings only one street further. He could see people dancing and cheering, some were eating, others drinking. A group of men made music with instruments Yixing didn't know the names of and everything was bright due to the many lights which had been lit. A big bonfire was in the middle of it all and the people moved around it. It was fascinating – really, and Yixing once again wished he'd be able to participate without being outcast.

 

He then spotted a group of young boys around his age, four of them to be exact. Yixing knew exactly who they were and it caused him to release a rather loud noise of resentment.

Despite of Yixing being sixteen now, things hadn't really changed. It seemed as if the group consisting of Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Jongdae and Minseok had made it to their main goal to ruin his pathetic existence even more by mocking him whenever they were able to spot him.

 

“Damn s...”, he muttered under his breath as he turned to look into another direction.

What he didn't expect, however, was his gaze to be met by another pair of eyes.

 

A pair of eyes that seemed oddly familiar.

 

Yixing gasped as he gave the person an overall glance before gazing back into his deep brown eyes. Just looking at the man a few meters in front of him gave him chills, because he didn't look like the rest of them. He looked so different, so warm. Yixing shook his head and slowly got up, wanting to leave his hiding spot as fast as possible. He didn't know the man at all, yet he seemed familiar. But Yixing knew better than to trust strangers and he was aware that it would benefit him to leave before things escalated.

 

“Hey! Wait, Yixing!” He heard the man call as he was about to turn around. But no matter how badly he wanted to leave, as soon as he heard the man call his name, his feet were frozen to the ground. It felt as if time had stopped, as if the stranger had cast a spell over him.

 

“Yixing!” The man called again as he ran closer, coming to a halt right behind the frozen boy.

 

“What....?” Yixing whispered quietly, mainly to himself, but the person behind him seemed to have heard. It felt like the first time in years that someone other than his mother had called him by his name – his real name and not something made up. People normally just referred to him as 'Frog Face', as much as it hurt, and he had grown accustomed to it.

 

“That's your name, right? You're Yixing. Do you remember who I am?” The man the asked, his questions raining down on the boy like heavy raindrops.

 

Yixing slowly turned around again as his curiosity got the better of him.

 

The man in front of him was a bit taller, with blond hair and brown eyes. Even though his body was muscular and manly, he still looked friendly and gentle. The way he looked at Yixing made him feel suspicious.

 

His eyes were full of emotions.

 

It wasn't hatred, nor was it disgust, but wonder and interest and it made Yixing feel helpless.

 

He didn't know how to react because no one had ever looked at him like this.

And the way the man looked at him, as if his face were normal, as if he didn't look at the ugliest boy he had ever seen in his entire life – it made him feel . It felt as he the man could look right through him, right under his terrible exterior and into his soul, into the deepest and darkest corners of his mind.

 

“I...”, he began to reply in a whisper, “I don't know who you are. But leave.. Don't look at me.”

 

Because Yixing didn't like the way it made him feel. He didn't like how he felt exposed and he didn't like how it felt as if the person in front of him would understand every single one of his hardships. No one could as long as they weren't as ugly as him and the man in front of him was clearly from another league.

 

Looking at the ground, Yixing stood still. He didn't know why he didn't move, but it felt as if he couldn't – as if he shouldn't.

 

“My name is Suho,” the man in front of him began and his dry lips, “I.. It was probably stupid from me to think that you'd remember me, but.. how do I say this..”

 

“Just go back to the other people. Why are you even talking to me..?” Yixing whispered coldly without lifting his head.

 

“When those boys were making fun of you all those years ago.. do you remember being saved once? That was me.” Suho then said quickly, afraid that the shy boy would leave if he didn't reply fast enough. “And I am talking to you because I want to. I want to get to know you.”

 

Yixing looked up with a surprised expression, his already big eye looking even bigger than before. He couldn't believe that someone so handsome, someone so beautiful, would want to get to know someone as ugly as him. His appearance hadn't changed much over the years, he still looked as appalling as before and people still made fun of him because of it.

 

Nothing had changed and no one had ever tried to get close to him – until now.

 

“Why would someone like you want to get to know someone like me?” Yixing mumbled. The situation made him feel tired and defeated because he did want to be friends with at least one person other than his mother but Yixing knew better.

 

He knew that nobody would be friends with him willingly and that this was probably a scam to make him feel normal – only for him to get spit in the face when he felt save enough.

 

“Because you're interesting.” Suho explained while smiling shyly at him, hoping that the positivity of his feelings would make Yixing understand that he meant no harm. “And what do you mean 'someone like you'? You're just like me, we're both humans. Both of us have blood running through our veins, a mind of our own and feelings.”

 

Yixing stood still at his place without saying anything because he didn't know how to reply.

 

The air seemed thick and the people celebrating behind Suho were too happy, too delighted for the situation he was in. He needed to get out, out of this terrible nightmare and run home into his mother's arms. Because even though the person in front of him said that he saw them as equal, Yixing knew that he was not.

 

“Even though people call me Frog Face all the time, I'm not an animal you can study when you're interested in it. Stop wanting to get to know me, because I don't want to get to know you.” Yixing then said coldly, his voice sounding surprisingly steady despite of the many thoughts running through his mind. He turned around again, his formerly frozen feet now burning as if they were on fire, and rushed through the many alleys and streets back home.

 

'I don't need anyone other than my mother', were his thoughts on his way back.

 

 

 

Suho sighed as he looked after the boy.

He didn't know how long he stayed in the alleyway hidden by the night but it seemed like an eternity. Had he been too direct? Did he rush things? Suho didn't know, but the fact that Yixing didn't want anything to do with him made him feel frustrated.

 

'I should keep trying, though...', the blond thought as he went back to the festivity. He really didn't feel like celebrating anymore, but he should at least bid goodbye to his friends.

 

'I will keep trying.'

 

 

Days went by and whenever Suho saw Yixing he would go ahead and greet him.

 

Things were only one-sided – of course, but Suho hoped that one day he would receive a different reaction if only he continued. He therefore didn't stop.

 

It went to the point where Suho gave the other fruit or little snacks every time he was able to spot the younger, trying to please him at least in some way and create a basis for some sort of friendship but to no avail.

 

But what Suho did know now was that Yixing loved animals.

 

Suho was able to witness Yixing taking care of a little stray cat whose front leg was broken once and it honestly warmed his heart. It showed him that despite of how afraid and shy Yixing was, despite of how much his appearance chipped away at his self esteem and confidence and despite of how he insisted on being too hideous – Yixing was just like every other human no matter how low he thought of himself.

 

He wasn't cold nor unfriendly, maybe a little bit of a loner due to the things he went through, but he never said anything mean to anyone, not even when other people made fun of him.

 

Because sadly, Suho also had to see the same children from all those years ago mocking Yixing again and he didn't even fight it back.

 

“Baby bear, are you going to try to see little Yixing again today?” His mother pulled him out of his thoughts. Suho sat in front of the table in their kitchen and soon resumed to cut some pears and pineapple. “Yeah, I'll try. I'm not too sure about succeeding though, maybe he won't be around town today.”, he replied, completely ignoring the cheesy pet name his mother had called him by.

 

“You're so zealous, I'm sure you'll find him. And if not, why don't you pay him a visit?” His mother suggested. “He lives near the forest, remember? Mei would surely be happy if her son were to make a friend after all those years. He's sixteen after all.”

 

Maybe he should do just that, Suho thought.

 

“But I'll see if I can find him first before going to his home. It would probably make him feel awkward if I were to appear in front of his door all of a sudden.” He voiced his thoughts before standing up. The chair he had sat on creaked as it was shoved and Suho was quick to grab a wooden bowl where he could put the fruit he had cut in.

 

“Don't wait for me, mom. I don't know when I'll be back today.”

 

His mother looked after him as Suho first left the room and finally the house, the bowl of fruit secure in his hands. “Couldn't have found a better name for you, my son.” she squealed excitedly to herself.

 

Suho wandered through the town like he usually did, without a real destination. Finding Yixing was his aim, but he didn't know where the other was, so walking around in hope of coming across him was the only option left.

 

It seemed as if luck wasn't on his side that day though, since Suho was unable to find the person he was searching for. Despite of the sun being up high in the air and the weather being beautiful, the wind tousling his hair gently, his mood started to drop.

 

Going to Yixing's house was something he didn't really want to do simply because it felt like bringing their nonexistent relationship on a more intimate level. The fact that they weren't even friends yet weighed down heavily on Suho's shoulders and it made him feel burdened. He wanted to see the other so badly, to get to know him more and to see more of his personality but he knew that Yixing was nowhere ready for this.

 

And yet, despite of knowing that Yixing may avoid him like the plague after Suho barged into his home like this, the blond man still went to see the younger.

 

He walked all the way through town to the outskirts, until the forest could be seen clearly. The trees stood tall and proud, with thick stems and the greenest leafs. Although the forest was grown through with big and small plants growing without any sort of disturbance aside from the few paths which lead to the nearer villages, it still seemed friendly as the sun shone against the big leafs.

 

Before arriving in front of the house, however, Suho was able to spot Yixing.

 

The boy was sitting in the little yard next to his home with flowers surrounding not only him but also a little dog. Curious, Suho walked a little closer and watched the way Yixing played with the animal, how he threw a stick and the dog brought it back right away every single time only to gain a lot of praise from the boy.

 

When Yixing stopped throwing the stick, the dog ran to him, jumping at the boy only to his chin and cheeks.

 

What Suho could not believe though was the fact that it made Yixing laugh.

 

He laughed loudly and and full of joy, as if the dog had told him the funniest joke in the world, and it didn't seem like he could stop any time soon. It caused Suho's heart to skip a beat only to continue in a much faster pace. Yixing looked carefree and happy, something he usually did not, and it was the first time for Suho to see the other one showing positive emotions so freely.

 

The corners of his lips twitched, slowly turning into a full blown smile as he watched the scene a few meters in front of him with fondness.

 

Suho wished he could see the other like this more often, so different, so lighthearted, so free but most importantly – Yixing was acting his age. The grim expression he usually wore had faded away completely and his eyes turned into crescents every time he laughed. Despite of one eye being bigger than the other, both of them looked like half-moons when Yixing was laughing, his right cheek was adorned by a deep dimple and his lips turned into the prettiest smile. Suho was sure, if he were to have control over time he'd try to stop it at this moment, right then and there, only to be able to see every single one of Yixing's features until he grew sick of not being able to see the other move.

 

He didn't know how long he stood there and how long he watched Yixing enjoy his time with the dog, but the other noticed him soon enough. His expression turned grim again as he held the puppy close to his chest, however he did nothing but gaze back at Suho from his spot on the ground.

Suho walked to the piece of land slowly and sat down with some distance from the other. He didn't want to anger Yixing or, god forbid, make him feel afraid or uncomfortable.

 

The both of them were quiet for some time and the only sounds came from the animals surrounding them as well as the little pup who kept yipping happily every time Yixing ruffled its fur.

What Suho did not expect was for Yixing to talk to him first.

 

“What are you doing here..?” He asked softly and the fact that Yixing was the one who grasped the nettle made Suho feel relieved. The other was obviously not mad at him for invading his privacy like this.

 

“I searched for you in town but you weren't there. I got you some fruit.” Suho explained in a calm manner. He noticed the little puppy walking closer to him and stretched out his hand, letting it sniffle at his fingers before petting its head. The pup yipped again before walking closer quickly, headbutting his side to get more of the touch which caused Suho to chuckle. He quickly handed Yixing the wooden bowl he had been holding before picking up the dog and placing it in his lap.

 

“Thanks.” Yixing replied and his lips formed a little smile. It was the first time for Yixing to smile like this with the knowledge of Suho being around and it somehow made the blond man feel incredibly proud. Maybe they could be friends after all.

 

“You know, I've been noticing your... advances. I just don't know how to react to them.”, the small boy explained to him, his head lowered as he stared at the bowl in his hands. “I don't understand why you're trying so hard, I don't understand the reason for you to act like this to begin with, but I want you to know that I am indeed thankful. Nobody has ever shown interest in me like that.” Yixing lifted his head again and looked Suho straight in the eyes. For the first time in his life he actually felt the courage to look at someone without being afraid of being made fun of because the person in front of him had shown at several occasions that he would never do something like this. Suho had had many chances to ridicule him, to tell him that he was disgusting and that his soul must be the one of a sinner for him to look this way, but he had done no such thing over the past few days – not even all those years back when he came to his rescue.

 

Maybe Suho's eyes were made to not look at a person's appearance but their soul, Yixing thought.

 

“I'm thankful for that, I really am. And if you still... want to get to know me, I.. I'd like to get to know you as well.”

 

Suho's eyes lit up as he heard this statement and his features showed his excitement. Just thinking about being friends with the younger boy next to him made him feel giddy and he couldn't wait for the both of them to get closer, to establish a friendship.

 

“I-,” he was about to reply but got interrupted by a high and shrill sounding voice.

 

“Yixing, what are you doing?! Come inside immediately!” A middle-aged woman hurried out of the house next to them, her long hair and youthful appearance not showing that she was a middle-aged widow with child. Her quick footsteps came to a halt as she arrived next to her son and she quickly pulled him up from his sitting position while shooting Suho a venomous look. The blond man looked at her questioningly as he got up from the ground, but showed her with his straight posture that he was in no way afraid of her.

 

“Who do you think you are? Don't think I haven't noticed you running after my son like a dog without an owner!” The woman named Mei scolded Suho and pushed Yixing towards the house before pointing a finger at the boy in front of her in an accusing manner. “But let me tell you something, my Yixing won't be tricked by you that easily. He is aware of how ugly he is and that you'll eventually let him down, just like every one else always does – except for me. He doesn't need someone like you, someone who tries to lure him with sweet but empty promises!”

 

She tried pushing the blond man in front of her with her hand but he stood firm. Suho didn't have the intention to let the woman in front of him badmouth him like that, without her even knowing who exactly he was.

 

“Excuse me, but I really don't know what you're talking about. I never meant to offend anyone and I certainly don't want to 'use' Yixing nor 'lure' him like you're accusing me of. I merely want to be friends-,” Suho tried to explain calmly but got interrupted once again.

 

“I want you to leave my land immediately! Never set a foot onto these grounds again and I don't want to see you near my child ever again either!” Mei screeched almost hysterically. She turned around quickly, pushing Yixing further as she walked to their home but not without turning her head a few times to glare at Suho. “But mom, I don't think-,” Yixing tried to tell her as she kept shoving him, “You're overreacting-,” but his words fell on deaf ears. “I don't want to talk about this, Yixing! You're not going to meet this guy again!”

 

Suho's expression darkened as he looked after the two, his gaze not leaving them until they were out of sight. Something about Mei's words just didn't seem right to him and the fact that she was so strictly against her son establishing a friendship with him made him feel suspicious.

 

“Who calls their own child ugly anyways...?” He muttered before looking up at the bright sky.

All he could do was hope that Yixing would either be able to convince his mother to allow them to be in contact or that the boy would simply ignore his mother's objections.

 

“Such a strange woman...”

 

 

Much to Suho's relieve, Yixing turned a blind eye to his mother's prohibition to meet him.

 

The both of them kept spending time together, be it day or night, early mornings or late evenings.

The best part about it was that Suho did not only get to know Yixing better but that the other also opened up to him more. He would smile or laugh occasionally, sometimes raise his eyebrows in wonder or wrinkle his nose in disgust when Suho told him stories about his training and travels as guard of the King himself.

 

Yixing liked animals a lot since they had no sort of prejudice against him for his appearance, his favourite flowers were violet hyacinths and he enjoyed watching the sunset. His father had died when he was merely an infant and his mother had never married another man. Yixing usually spent most of his time alone when he wasn't with his mother or their dog Joonie.
Other people usually made fun of him or treated him badly because of the way he looked, but Suho had already known that before. But now he could see that even though Yixing had always tried to protect himself with his dismissive attitude and pretended to be okay despite of having to face such an ugly side of the people around him, the negative response he gained really did hurt him deeply – he was just good at hiding it all. Because having Yixing open up to him also meant that the other told him a little about his personal feelings.

 

“Why do you think my mother doesn't want us to spend time with each other?” Yixing asked him as they sat on the green meadow in a clearing in the woods. It was already late afternoon and the sky had changed its colour from a baby-blue to a yellowish and orangey tone.

 

Suho watched a butterfly that flew right in front of him as he thought about the question. Honestly, he still didn't know why Yixing's mother was so strictly against them becoming friends. He had asked his own mother and even she couldn't understand why Mei had reacted the way she did.

 

It felt almost as if Mei wanted to seclude Yixing from others. She didn't want him to be in contact with other people, didn't want him to have any friends and thought of herself as the only person worthy of her son's presence.

 

Suho had tried talking to her again a few times, Yixing had tried as well – but to no avail. The only result was Mei getting angry at the both of them and keeping her son under close watch.

 

“I honestly don't know. I can't really think of any reasoning that would explain her behaviour. At least not a logical one.” The blond haired man replied after a while but secretly promised himself to get to the bottom of Mei's weird course of action.

 

“It makes me feel sad though. She is my mother, I want her to be happy for me when I'm able to make friends...”

 

As the butterfly he had been watching hid itself in a blossom, Suho turned his head to the side and started to look at Yixing instead. The boy next to him was gazing at the sky as he leaned back, supporting the weight of his upper body with his hands placed on the grass.

 

The light was illuminating his skin and showed off all of his features.

 

Despite of the deformation and scarring Yixing suffered from and despite of how much of a 'Frog Face' the boy was to other people, Suho thought that the person next to him looked just right.

 

He couldn't really explain why he thought of it this way, maybe because he knew just how much of a genuine person Yixing was and how much he had struggled with his appearance, but Suho could only think one thing.

 

Maybe all these imperfections were what made Yixing so perfect in his eyes.

 

One eyes was bigger than the other but the way they showed his emotions was the same.
His lips were slightly swollen but they never failed to form a gummy smile whenever Suho tried to make the other laugh by telling him something funny. His nose had a bump on its bridge, but that didn't prevent it from wrinkling cutely when Yixing had to sneeze.

 

“Do you really think of yourself as an ugly person?” Suho then asked the other quietly, his gaze not leaving the person next to him. “Because your mother mentioned something like this.”

 

“I'm certainly not the prettiest person around town.” Yixing replied right away with a painful smile on his lips. “People try to shoo me away and tell me that I look ugly all the time. They think I'm disgusting. Even my mother says that she will forever be the only person who is able to accept my appearance..” he then sighed.

 

“But you not fulfilling their beau ideal doesn't mean that you're ugly. You do realize that you have many different qualities, right?” The blond man told him before looking up at the sky as well. “The people in our town act mean towards you and say hurtful things because they are ignorant. I wish you could just overlook all of their actions.” Suho then continued with a sigh. “But I do know that something like this is easier said than done.” Yixing only hummed in an affirmative manner and looked down at the grass in front of him.

 

“I see that all these comments hurt you so badly and it makes me feel mad.” The blond haired guard started again after a moment of silence, “What's even worse is that the adults have never stopped their own children from treating you so badly when they clearly should have done something about it. You're a really nice person, Yixing, and I enjoy your company a lot. Just know that despite of most people treating you so badly, there are also people who really like you for who you are.”

 

Suho threw his arm over Yixing's shoulder on the spur of the moment and looked at him with a toothy grin as he pulled the other closer. Yixing's eyes widened as he looked up from the grass and nearly tumbled over due to the sudden force but ended up leaning against the man next to him.

 

“Try to think positively, okay? You have me now and I think you're a beautiful person.”

 

 

Yixing's cheeks flushed as he once again thought about the words Suho had told him a few days prior. He was currently lying in his bed after a tiring day of searching for different herbs with his mother in the nearby woods. Despite of his eyelids feeling terribly heavy and his body screaming at him to get his well-deserved rest, he couldn't stop thinking.

 

Suho thought of him as beautiful.

 

Even though this was something he would usually have questioned right away, Yixing felt different about it this time round. He knew Suho for quite some time now and they had gotten closer which made him feel extremely happy – he simply knew that the blond man really did mean his words.

 

So instead of doubting the sincerity of Suho's declaration, Yixing accepted it.

 

He accepted that Suho thought of him this way even though no one else had ever told him something like this and despite of him not understanding the reasons for Suho's way of thinking.

 

Which qualities or special personality traits did Yixing have that made Suho feel this way?

 

The boy thought about it for a long time and tossed around in his bed, rolling from one side to the other. Suho had told him to try to think positively and maybe he should do just that. Because after all, he wasn't alone anymore.

 

He now had Suho to rely on, Yixing thought with a shy smile on his lips.

 

Maybe he should confront his mother about it, about how he didn't plan to ignore Suho and how the both of them were friends. If he told her just how much the other meant to him and how much better he made him feel then maybe she would understand.

 

Because even though his mother had always been there when Yixing was trapped inside a dark hole without a way out and even though she had always been the one to put his pieces back together, she had never helped him to get outside. The only thing she did was spending time together with him inside the darkness and making him depend on her even more. Suho was different though. Suho did not only puzzle his pieces back together after getting inside the darkest corners of the hole but also tried helping him to find a way back out.

 

Suho was like a light that brought warmth with it and Yixing didn't want to miss it ever again.

 

Maybe Suho was right from the very beginning, Yixing thought to himself, and being different doesn't necessarily mean that I'm less of a human being..

 

For the first time in a long while Yixing was able to fall asleep with a smile on his lips.

 

 

“Which good personality traits and qualities do you think I have..?” Yixing asked quietly while staring up at the night sky. He had snuck out of his house without his mother noticing once again just to meet up with his only friend – simply the thought of actually having a friend made him feel giddy, and now the both of them were at their usual hideout, the meadow in the woods. “I've thought about it for a long time, but... I really can't come up with any good characteristics I have..”

 

It was really dark by now, causing the usually dark but green forest to look even more fierce but with the light of the stars and the moon a mysterious feeling was added to the scene.

 

Suho and Yixing both sat comfortably on the grass once again, this time however a lot more closer than ever before. With his head tilted to the side while gazing at the night sky Suho answered in the same quiet manner, “First of all, you don't trust people easily.”

 

Yixing turned his head to Suho and nudged him with his shoulder lightly as he shot him a questioning gaze. The blond man looked right back as soon as he felt the contact and chuckled quietly before turning his head to its former position again.

 

“If you trust other people too easily, you'll end up getting hurt. But one shouldn't overdo it either, being too cautious won't get you anywhere. It took me a while to get closer to you, I admit that, but you trust me now, right?” He smiled. “Gaining your trust was a hard task but I'd do it again if I had to.”

 

Just thinking about how much time and effort Suho had invested into getting to know him caused Yixing to blush slightly, but he couldn't help but smile. He was happy with their current relation and he was indeed thankful that the other had tried so hard.

 

“You're also really gentle, especially when it comes to animals. I enjoy watching you play with Joonie a lot, it's cute to look at.” The blond laughed softly, the smile on his lips turning bigger. “But you're generally a really lovely, sincere and endearing person, generous and smart too. I've never met someone who knows so much about plants and herbs before.” This time Suho was the one to nudge Yixing gently, “If people made the effort to get to know you, they'd be head over heels.”

 

The slight rosy blush on Yixing's cheeks deepened in colour as he continued listening to the Suho's words. He had thought really hard the past few days, but traits like these were the last ones he had thought of. Maybe his knowledge about plants and herbs, but definitely not of him being lovely or endearing – it almost seemed absurd.

 

But no matter how strange all these things sounded, Yixing's smile grew bigger and bigger, causing his dimple to deepen. It felt nice to be told such positive things and Yixing enjoyed it to the fullest. “Do you really think of me this way...?” He asked shyly and glanced at the man next to him, the corners of his mouth still turned upwards.

 

Suho felt the other glancing at him and looked towards Yixing, soon leaning closer. He lifted his left hand from the ground and poked Yixing's dimple gently with his index finger as he laughed heartily. “Your dimple is another reason, it looks terribly cute even with the scarring on your cheek.” He grinned cheekily. “But yes, I really do think of you this way. And I hope that soon you'll think of yourself in just a positive manner.”

 

 

The more time Yixing spent with Suho, the more he forgot what being alone was like.

All the negative thoughts he used to have were like blown away because all he could think of was Suho.

 

Suho, Suho, Suho and the positive things and feelings that came with the blond haired man.


Despite of the other being on duty again, they met up frequently, day- and nighttime.

While Yixing enjoyed Suho's company, the other enjoyed watching Yixing get out of his shell. The young man slowly turned from a caterpillar into a beauteous butterfly, he was more open about everything and talked freely about whatever came to his mind.

 

But most importantly, Yixing began to view himself differently.

 

Just like Suho accepted him for who he was, he was starting to accept himself as well. Because even though the people around town were unable to see behind his scars, Suho was. Unlike his mother who always emphasized how ugly he looked and that she would stay by his side despite of his appearance, the blond guard clarified that all of this didn't matter. Because appearance wasn't the only aspect that made people to whom they were and Yixing was therefore everything but unpleasant to look at.

 

A tiny smile was almost constantly on Yixing's lips and he knew that his mother had long grown suspicious of the changes in his behaviour, but he paid her no mind. Thinking of Suho made him feel happy and the thought of meeting the other made him feel giddy.

 

Even though he still spent a lot of his time with his mother, and he hadn't even been friends with Suho for a full year yet, the both of them had grown apart during the past few months. Their conversations remained shallow, she didn't have to comfort Yixing anymore when people said something malicious about him because he usually went to Suho with his problems without her knowledge and they only really did something together when it came to gathering herbs and doing gardening.

 

Yixing could feel her growing bitter due to the distance between the both of them and it made him feel terribly uncomfortable. He wanted to tell her more about Suho, about how the other was a great and dear friend to him, about how he always cheered him up and made him feel every positive feeling a person could possibly feel. But he knew that she was too stubborn to change her mindset about accepting the other – even for her own son. Every time he brought up Suho she would simply shut him up and ignore any sort of interaction for the next few hours while shooting him angry glares.

 

But having his own mother, the person who had raised him into who he was, feel so dissatisfied with him made his heart feel heavy, and it finally reached the point where Yixing couldn't take it any longer.

 

Maybe, instead of telling her about his friend and how happy he made him feel, he should simply show it and confront her directly.

 


 

“Are you sure you want me to be there when you talk to your mother? She'll be upset as soon as she sees me...” Suho sighed while running his hand through his blond hair. Being the cause of another quarrel between Yixing and his mother was the last thing Suho wanted, not only because it made him feel uncomfortable but also because he knew just how important Mei was to Yixing.

 

“I know that it will make her upset,” the 18-year-old started, “but instead of just talking about it, I want to show her how important you are to me. I think it's time to confront her, otherwise she won't

start to realize anything.” Yixing sighed quietly and stopped in his tracks before turning around. He looked at Suho with a pained look in his eyes. “I just really want to stop being secretive about something like this. I'm so sick of it.” He mumbled while taking a step closer to the other. “What's so wrong about being friends? And why is she so against it? I just really can't understand...”

 

Suho sighed as well and lifted his hand to pat Yixing head, soon ruffling his hair. “Well then we better confront her right now.” He said softly and wrapped his arm around Yixing's shoulder before leading him further to the other's home. “I don't understand where she is coming from either and I was unable to find out why she could be acting like this. I really wanted to lift this mystery by myself but I guess we really just have to ask her directly.”

 

The both of them soon arrived in front of the house and glanced at each other once more before going inside. The first room they arrived in was some sort of kitchen-diner with usual interior. A table with two chairs, a fireplace with two furs in front of it, some others hung on the thick stone walls of the house. They were probably remnants from Yixing's deceased father, who had been a well-known and respected hunter in their whole city, if Suho remembered correctly.

 

Mei, however, was nowhere to be seen.

 

“Mom..?” Yixing called her rather loudly while motioning for Suho to sit down in one of the chairs. The man silently declined by shaking his head lightly. He felt tense and his muscles were stiff. Suho didn't know what to think of the situation they were in and whether he should anticipate the arrival of Yixing's mother or not.

 

But before he was able to make a decision, Mei suddenly walked down the stairs and arrived in the room. Her eyes immediately found Suho's and she looked at him angrily. “What are you doing here? I thought I told you to never ever come close to our home again?!” She quickly stomped closer to the both of them before looking at Yixing in a disapproving manner as she realized that he was the one who had let Suho inside. “How could you? I told you to not get closer to him, that you should ignore him. He will only hurt you!” Her voice went higher and higher the angrier she got and Suho wasn't sure whether his ears would be able to hear any of her words if her frequency kept heightening. “Why don't you understand that this man will bring you no good?!”

 

“No, I think you don't understand!” Yixing was just as angry as his mother as he shouted right back at her. He couldn't stand how she simply overlooked him and tried to tell him what to do, it was his decision who to befriend and who not. Instead of screaming at Suho she should be happy that her only son had finally found someone who accepted him for who he was.

 

“You always tune me out whenever I try to tell you that Suho isn't as bad as you think he is! We're friends! I like being with him and I enjoy his company!” Mei seemed surprised that her son spoke back to her in such a manner and her eyes widened in shock. Never had Yixing, her sweet Yixing, spoken to her in such a tone before and she was sure that all of this was a scheme caused by that blond haired man. Her heartbeat fastened as she grew more agitated and infuriated.

 

“Just look at him! Why can't you see that someone like him would never even spare a glance at someone like you without any ulterior motives! There must be a reason to all of this!” She claimed loudly and pointed an accusing finger at Suho. “Get away from my child! You only try to turn him away from me before you can make him miserable, but let me tell you something! I am the one who gave birth to him, I raised him and he only has me! Me alone!” Mei screamed on top of her lungs. “I won't let you take him away from me! My poor ugly child, nobody wants him – but I do!”

 

“That's enough, mother!” Yixing placed both of his hand son her tiny shoulders. “Why can't you be happy that I found someone? I finally have a friend! And here you are, trying to seclude me! Why? Why?!”

 

“Because I have always been there for you! I dried your tears when others ridiculed you in the worst ways possible, I give you the food, shelter and security you need! Why would you want anyone beside me when I can give you everything?” Tears were streaming down her cheeks by now as she gripped Yixing's shoulders in return.

 

She seemed old all of a sudden, Suho thought, with her long hair untamed and her face contoured with the pain of not having the same control over her child she once had had.

 

“But Suho has been there for me just as much. He has done a lot for me, please understand!” Yixing told her almost desperately while shaking her gently. His voice was a lot calmer now and the whole situation had somewhat cooled down, but Suho still felt awkward. He didn't want to interfere despite of the fight being about him.

 

“He made me understand that not everything about me and my being is negative, I can finally say that I'm able to embrace myself and my appearance no matter what other people say!” Yixing got more passionate the more he said and his visual aspects slowly started changing as he continued. “Mom, I have many positive characteristics, did you know that? I know a lot about plants and herbs, because you taught me all of this! I can be patient and quiet, I love animals and am able to handle them well, I also know how to cook and clean!”

 

The scarring on Yixing's face slowly began to disappear and the skin on his cheeks started to even out, resulting it in being smooth and without any blemishes.

 

“I also know how to make some basic medicine, because you shared your knowledge with me. Mom, I'm not useless nor am I a bad person just because I look this way.”

 

Mei's eyes widened as she watched the changes her son went through without noticing it. His eyes were both the same size now, both beautiful with a deep brown iris. The bump on his nose vanished and his lips turned plump and full – nowhere near as swollen as they had been before.

 

“I learnt a lot over the past few months thanks to Suho, things that our townspeople still need to learn. Your appearance doesn't define you, mom, and I am fine the way I am. Please, you as my mother should accept me as well. I'm not ugly.”

 

Yixing's built changed as well, leaving him taller than before and with a lot more muscle, his body well-toned.

 

Mei cried silently as she looked at all of this, before slowly lowering her head. She couldn't believe this, couldn't believe what just had happened. Her sobs grew louder and Yixing watched at her in a surprised manner. He turned to look at Suho who in return eyed him with gaping mouth before looking back at her. “You really can't be happy for me...?”

 

She shook her head repeatedly while sinking to the ground, her body shaking violently with every sob that left her. “How? How could you do this to me?” Mei asked quietly. “Your ugliness was supposed to keep everyone away from you. You're supposed to be with me and me only.”

 

Yixing's as well as Suho's eyes widened as they both heard her words and the blond haired man soon stepped closer. “So you're the reason why he looked the way he did? It's your doing?”

 

“He was supposed to be with me only – forever!” Mei cried and looked up to meet Suho's gaze. “He shares his appearance with his father and I don't want anyone to take Yifei away from me again!”

 

Yixing couldn't believe his ears. His mother, the person he cherished the most, the one who had always been there – she was the reason for his suffering? She was the cause of all of this, why he had felt so miserable ever since? He wasn't ugly because of some sort of sin his ancestors had committed but because of his mother who acted as if she were some witch?

 

Yixing looked down at her with tears in his eyes, his features showing not just how disappointed but also how deeply hurt he was. He couldn't believe any of this but by the looks of it, it was true. Mei turned her gaze from Suho to him and grabbed his leg. “Yixing, please, you have to understand! I didn't want to lose you, I already lost your father!” But her son only shook his head in response.

 

“How could you do all of this to me?” He asked quietly, his voice shaking.

 

“I don't know, I really don't! I'm sorry for having been so selfish, please don't leave me!” She tried to tighten her grip around his leg but Yixing only took a step back in response. He turned his head to look at Suho once again, with a single tear streaming down his face. “I don't even know who you are right now. Please leave me alone for a while.”, he said without taking his gaze from Suho.

 

More tears began streaming down his face and the blond haired guard was quick to grab his hand and lead him out of the house again. The situation had simply been too much for Yixing and he understood that. They both ignored Mei's cries and screams for them to come back and simply went further ahead until both of them came to a halt.

 

“I can't believe this..” Yixing said weakly and looked at Suho. He noticed how he didn't have to raise his head anymore when he wanted to look into the other's eyes, but he paid it no mind. “I can't believe it either.” Suho replied quietly and slowly brought his arms around Yixing to hug him tightly. It felt good, Yixing thought, because it gave him the security he needed so badly right now. He was as if his mother had ripped out his heart with her confession and it left him feeling terribly drained.

 

“But do you feel any changes of your body?” Suho asked him softly after Yixing's tears had dried, his chin placed on other's shoulder. “Why...? I do feel a little different but I can't really explain it.” Yixing mumbled in response. He hid his nose in Suho's neck and nuzzled his skin gently as he tried to get even closer.

 

“I think we need some sort of mirror because you definitely need to see this for yourself.” Suho's lips formed a soft smile as he pat Yixing's back gently before pulling back. “Let's just say that you broke your mother's curse. You're even more beautiful now.” While one of his hands remained at Yixing's lower back, he placed the other one on his cheek and caressed the soft skin gently with his thumb, his own eyes forming crescents.

 

“They won't ever talk badly about you again, I'm sure of it. Even if they would, I'd make them pay for it.” Suho chuckled softly as he looked into Yixing's eyes. “How about you come live with me? Then I won't have to worry about you and we can see each other frequently. You'll also be able to get some distance between yourself and your mother so that you can decide on your own when you want to face her again.”

 

“You'd really let me live with you...?” Yixing asked shyly with his cheeks tinted in a soft shade of pink. The close proximity made him feel slightly nervous but he also enjoyed it in a certain way.

 

“Otherwise I wouldn't have made you this offer.” Suho chuckled and leaned in to kiss Yixing's forehead. Yixing's eyes widened in surprise and the colour of his cheeks deepened as he gazed back into Suho's eyes.

 

“Come on, let's go home. I even have a vase full of violet hyacinths at home ever since you told me they were your favourite flowers.” Suho smiled and started walking again, pulling Yixing with him. “They've been waiting patiently for your arrival. Just like I have.” He grabbed the other's hand and leaned closer once again, this time to peck his cheek, before fastening his pace.

 

Yixing smiled shyly in response and hurried to follow Suho, squeezing his hand lightly in response.

 

“I can't wait to get home then.”

 

 

A/N: Thanks to all who decided to read this oneshot until the very end! I really had a hard time with this and am sorry that you had to wait so long for me to finally update.
I also feel like my cheesiness got the best out of me at some parts of this story lmao
The reason why I chose violet hyacinths as Yixing's favourite flowers is that they symbolize hope and to wait patiently, I thought of it as quite fitting

I'd love to read your opinions about this OS, so please tell me what you thought in the comments!

Love, love!!!