overflow ft. jung seonah

Just You & Me

The door opened to reveal a disheveled and shirtless Junsu. It felt like the wind had knocked me over, almost dropping the cake I made. I cleared my throat and steadied myself, eyes travelling anywhere but the body exposed in its glory. He squinted and blinked, signs that he had just woken up, closed then opened his eyes before pausing to recognize me.

"Seonah," his voice comes out low and husky. Thank god for the loud argument going on two doors away from us, because he was sure to hear the erratic beating of my heart if the noise didn't overwhelm it. "Seonah!" He gasps, pulling the door closer to his body. He was fully awake now.

"What are you doing here?" Where in the hell is the sunlight coming from that it's shining on that half-sculpted, drool-worthy body of his? "Noona."

"What? Oh, this," I said stupidly, anxiously holding up the cake to his face. He eyed the strawberry in the middle before laughing and taking the cake from my hands. "What's this for? Congratulatory cake? You made this?" He questions, glancing back at me.

"That only proves not everything I touch goes black," I pointed. He didn't say anything else, only smiled at the creation I made. I crossed my arms to hold the happiness that swelled in my chest. 

"Oppa." We suddenly heard a soft, gentle call from the inside. His smile dropped just as he grew tensed. Nervous was visible on his face and I looked back in confusion. It only took me a few seconds to realize there was someone else inside his apartment. I watched as he looked over his shoulder and back at me, closes his eyes again with a heavy sigh and reluctantly moved to open the door wider.

There stood a girl in one of his shirts, her small form totally lost in his clothing, hair falling down past her shoulders. She looked soft and pure, as if she had fallen from the heavens. She blinks to comprehend my presence. Her eyes widen, big and round like a doe's, and steps back, as if preparing to run away.

Junsu goes to her immediately, telling her it was fine while running his thumb over her hand in reassurance, the cake long forgotten when he absentmindedly put it on the kitchen counter. She nods and both look at me. I stood there frozen. I saw him motion her towards the hall and she disappeared just as she appeared. I was still like a statue with probably the most ridiculous expression ever because he was approaching me now.

"So you do have someone," I coughed, showing my genuine smile as I gave him a nudge. The only positive result from the years of acting was that it became easy to fool anyone. 

"Yeah," he smiles shyly. "Why don't you come in and sit? It's better than standing here," he motions towards the couch while grabbing a nearby sweater. For all I know he just said that to kill the awkward atmosphere.

I was wondering why Youngki said something about his place being a music museum. There was a piano in one corner, a guitar in another, a smaller piano on my right, and some recording gadgets that I wasn't really familiar with. His awards were displayed neatly, and I almost gawked at the amount he had. He had our Mozart promotional poster in a frame and on the wall, along with the other musicals he participated in. What made it different from the rest was that was in it. 

"Like it?" I broke from my daze when he slid a plate with the cake I brought in earlier. "Got it custom framed. That's how special it is."

"Hm, and why is that?" I chuckled, amused at the effort he had put. "Mozart is just another musical."

"It was my first musical, noona. It's special in many ways, for many reasons," he smiled. To know that I was a part of his first musical and it was special made my heart swell.

He excused himself when we heard footsteps approaching us. She appeared again in a polo and a pair of shorts; appropriate-looking than earlier that's for sure. He pulled her to where I was and I couldn't help but look at their interlocked hands, in which he tightened his hold. 

"Seonah, this is Ri In. Rinnie, this is Seonah." His affectionate call made her role in his life clear to me. She smiled brightly and held her hand out for me to shake. As if I was a robot, I shook her hand automatically. Suddenly it's as if something heavy placed itself on my chest. The butterflies were long gone, my insides twisted in different directions. Anymore of it I don't think I'll be able to breathe properly. 

"Nice to meet you," I managed to say after what seemed like a long silence." Junsu never mentioned he was head over heels on a beautiful girl like you." I didn't know if I meant it or if the button to my acting just activated.

"You know it's not that easy," he interjects, pouting towards us. She giggles, soft and womanly, and I catch his secret smile. 

"Thank you. But you're more beautiful in person. And your voice. God, I love your voice. I can listen to it for hours," she praises. I could only look back in shock while she continued her admiration towards me. My mind was trying to comprehend her knowledge of my existence. 

"She's a huge fan," Junsu laughs, snaking an arm around her waist. "I swear you're all she ever talks about ever since she watched our musical. It seriously takes up our quality time," he jokes. 

I release a short, slow laugh and did my best to smile. "Really?"

An unforgivable thought suddenly emerged when she protests childishly towards him and he returns with his infamous laugh, followed by the brush of his lips on her forehead. This girl was nothing close to the type of woman he told me, us, the whole world. She wasn't tall, wasn't gorgeous, didn't act mature; she wasn't any of anything he liked or wanted.

So then why were his eyes full of love, and his cheeks glowing a shade of pink? Why did he hold her so close as if she was planning to run away, kissed her so gently as if she was the most fragile in the world?

Junsu ah, you really don't love this girl, do you?

"Stop it, you have a visitor," she scolds when he encloses her from behind. He looks at me with his head low, half of his face dipped into the crook of her neck and gives me a wink.

If it wasn't for the overbearing weight on my chest, heat would have been burning my cheeks. 

"Su yah, I have to go. I told my manager I wouldn't be long," I finally managed to say through it all. Her face falls with the announcement of my departure and breaks free from his hold.

"Oh no, you can't go yet, your stay hasn't been long." It somehow made me feel bitter how she easily the words came out from , and even more when she was clueless to the obvious emotions reflected on my face. 

"Ri In ah, Seonah's manager is really...like yours. Strict and makes small issues big. She'll have the time of day if you force her to stay."

"He's right," I added, almost forcefully. "It was nice meeting you, Ri In-ssi." And smiled for a finishing touch.

Before I knew it, I grabbed my bag and walked away without a glance and without any goodbye's. I leaned against the door that divided his world and mine. Somewhere from the back of my head I remembered him going backstage too early during our finale of Mozart a week ago. My feet had moved on its own and followed him towards someplace far from the others, someplace vacant. I bit my lip when I realized the phone call he received was actually her on the other line. His smile was different that day, so were the twinkle in his eyes, much like how I had seen him just now when he held her.

"Did I say something wrong?" I hear her say, voice barely audible through the solid door. "I didn't scare her, did I?"

And just like that day, my feet moved on its own, away from the door, away from the laughter that resounded in his apartment, away from them, and away from him.

 

 

Jung Seonah played a role in the musical Mozart with Junsu. Read the author's note here regarding this chapter.