Heartache

Heartache

"I messed up big time, huh?"

"You didn't do anything - you should know better than to say things like that!" Amber seemed torn between frowning for emphasis or smiling to lighten things up. It resulted in wobbling between the two and making it look like she was going to cry.

That was the worst part for Luna. Not the fact she had gotten in a car accident. Not all the pain she felt even when barely moving. Not the fact she might not be dancing for a while.

The fact that it was making others hurt so much. Particularly Amber.

Luna had always known Amber to be such a caring, sympathetic, selfless person that this was the worst thing she could do, go and make her worry.

She looked down at her left leg, all wrapped up in a cast. The bone break luckily hadn't been too severe,  but it wasn't the only wound. "I'm a performer, Amber. I can't go and stop myself from walking!"

Amber's eyebrows lowered. "You weren't the one driving that car, young lady! Stop being hard on yourself."

"It doesn't matter; I'm here now either way!" Luna replied, louder than she intended to. A nurse passing by glanced into the room with concern before moving on.

Amber's hands made fists resting on her knees. "You know I just want you to get better, right?"

While Amber's eyes seemed to bore holes in her shoes, the white walls of the hospital made Luna's eyes only able to focus on her female companion. How she longed for that eye contact that silently worked everything out between them. Words were a little more difficult.

After a bit of silence, Amber closed her eyes, no longer waiting for an answer as her head still drooped towards the floor. "I owe you so much... So stay healthy until I can repay you."

The corners of Luna's lips rose a bit, unable to help themselves at the rapper's touching words. "Amber, just being here means everything to me."

She looked back up at the singer, a short exhale expressing her disbelief. "All I'm doing is making you feel worse. You... You should be resting."

'Seriously! I think I'd go batty alone in this empty room." Luna reached out to grab Amber's hand, fighting through the pain. "So you stop being hard on yourself. No one else could make me feel as better as I do right now than you."

Amber's dark eyes turned towards the hand resting on hers and paused. The only appropriate thing she could think of to say was, "Why?"

"Because no one knows me better than you do. So cheer up!"

Amber's hand relaxed and Luna's fell into it softly. And finally they were able to look at each other and able to laugh at how stupid they had both been acting. Before they knew it their usual casual conversation eased its way between them and all before was mostly forgotten.

All too soon a voice was heard: "I'm sorry, visiting hours are over for today."

Amber glanced up at the doctor standing in the doorway, but her eyes quickly fell back towards Luna, who had fallen asleep. She didn't want to leave, not after everything Luna had said that still echoed through the back of her mind.

But the doctor tapped his foot impatiently and gave Amber an unapologetic look.

"...I'll be back before you know it. I promise," she whispered, standing up and placing Luna's hand that has been holding hers the entire time softly on the bed. And, in the spur of the moment decided to give her a quick kiss on the forehead, even though it seemed awkward to do so.

She quietly tip-toed out of the room, but once in the doorway decided to take one final look back to see that Luna was smiling now.

And she knew that they both felt better, at least on the inside.