Everything is Ridiculous

"Unnie, You At This."

this image is sorta important

So, here's a little something I've been working on since like, September of last year. A little thank you for all the love this fic has been receiving. There's a bonus ship in here, just because it was requested by a reader. Hope you enjoy! 

NOTE: I haven't had time to proofread this yet so if y'all are reading this early I'm sorry for any mistakes!

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Being someone who almost always preferred to sleep in whenever the opportunity was presented to her, Nayoung never managed to experience the feeling of waking up earlier than the rest of her members. Today was an exception to that, because Sejeong and Mina had woken her up to inform their leader that they were leaving to practice for their currently unnamed Jellyfish girl group. After bidding them the most eloquent “goodbye, take care, see you soon” that she could muster at 8am in the morning, Nayoung had trouble falling back asleep.

 

Deciding against wasting her time rolling around in bed Nayoung decided then and there to actually start her day early for a change. The tall leader swiftly kicked the covers off her and walked towards the kitchen to make her breakfast because ‘every good day starts with a good breakfast’, or something along those lines. Nayoung couldn’t exactly remember the exact quote because she had filed it in her brain under the “Ridiculous Reasons Mina Gives In Order To Eat More” section.

 

After sifting through the cabinets for food, Nayoung settled for a bowl of whole-grain cereal. It was healthy, easy to make, and best of all it didn’t consist of any of those darn apples she’s now sick of. Carrying her bowl of cereal with her to the living room, Nayoung sat with her legs crossed on the large sofa and began to prepare herself for a relaxing morning filled with watching sappy old drama reruns that she absolutely refused to publicly admit that she enjoys.

 

The quiet dorm seemed almost…eerie. Like the calm before an incoming storm. She’s always loved her peace and quiet, so this was almost perfect for her. She didn’t realize that it was possible for the dorm to be this quiet because of all the kids running around causing a ruckus constantly, and shoving all the noisemakers into the room furthest away from her own was the smartest thing she’s ever done as a leader.

 

Her eyes left the television and subconsciously strayed to the room to the left, and Nayoung began to wonder if the occupants were all still asleep. More specifically Nayoung wondered if she was still asleep, and for a fleeting moment the leader felt the urge to check up on the occupants of the room just so that she could see her sleep, as creepy as that sounds.

 

Nayoung also started to wonder why on earth was there a large crack on the bedroom door. That wasn’t there before was it? Nayoung had a sneaking suspicion that it had to have been caused by the one and only—

 

“Nayoung unnie what the—you’re awake this early?? Is the world ending?? Should I call my family and tell them I love them??”

 

Jeon Somi. Speak of the devil.

 

“It never hurts to tell your family you love them Somi.”

 

“Except that gets kinda icky y’know unnie? Like, I’m not a baby anymore I’m 15.”

 

Good god the maknae always had a way of making Nayoung feel ancient at the tender age of 22. Almost as if she was dealing with a ghost or a particularly insistent stray cat, Nayoung decided that if she chose to ignore Somi maybe the latter will disappear. As she felt the seat next to her dip slightly, she realized that her plan backfired and now Jeon Somi was going to join her for breakfast and watch reruns of Full House on TV with her.

 

“Unnie.”

 

Oh God it’s already begun. Just ignore her Nayoung. She’ll go away if you don’t play with her.’

 

“Unnniiieeee~”

 

‘I mean, I just want to watch Rain-sunbaenim be all romantic and stuff undisturbed is that too much to ask for?’

 

“UnnnnniiieeEEEE!!!”

 

Nayoung sighed and responded without even turning her head to the girl next to her.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I’m hungry.”

 

“That’s nice.” Came Nayoung’s disinterested response before she shoveled another spoonful of cereal in .

 

“Nayoung unnieee~”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Ask me what do I want to eat?”

 

“What do you want to eat, Somi?”

 

“Ramyun!”

 

“…..That’s nice.” Nayoung took a sip of her orange juice. Pulp-free. Sejeong must have chosen it. Sejeong’s the only one in the house who thinks pulp-free orange juice tastes nice. She is absolutely wrong, naturally. Sejeong the Pulpless Peasant, Nayoung secretly calls her in her head.

 

“UUuuNNnIIEE!”

 

7am. Maybe Nayoung would finally get her peace and quiet if she woke up at 7am instead of 8.

 

Sighing, Nayoung turned to the girl next to her, who beamed in response because she managed to get her stonefaced unnie to look at her.

 

“Make ramyun for me please!”

 

“And why should I do that, Somi?”

 

“Because you don’t want me to starve to death.”

 

“That’s debatable.”

 

“And because you love me so much!”

 

“….even more debatable.”

 

“Oh c’mon Nayoung unnie! At least make up for feeding us nothing but apples the last few days. My poor taste buds want some variety.” Somi whined and shook Nayoung’s knee, making the leader look up to meet Somi’s eyes and the latter regretted it almost immediately.

 

She was always a er for puppy-dog eyes. These kids knew it.

 

“Nobody told you to eat those apples though…” Nayoung grumbled before letting out a tired sigh. “Alright Somi. Follow me to the kitchen.”

 

“You’ll do it?! Really?” The younger girl clapped her hands together and it was almost comical how the maknae lit up almost immediately.

 

“I can’t have you dying of hunger. It’ll be a pain to deal with your corpse.”

 

Somi ignored the older girl’s remark and skipped up after Nayoung, latching herself onto her leader’s arm while shooting the cheekiest of grins at the taller girl, who was trying her best to remain expressionless but the faintest of smiles threatened to break through her façade.

 

 

 

*************************************************

 

 

 

Nayoung was bringing a pot of water to boil while Somi watched her from the dining table, loving the fact that her usually cold unnie was making her ramyun. Nayoung knew that as the leader she should probably watch over her member’s diets but it was rare that Somi wasn’t starving herself for one of her CF’s and it broke her heart when Somi would stare longingly at the other members’ comparatively luxurious food while the maknae was forced to settle with a single banana. If Somi wanted food, Nayoung will get her food.

 

Even if it was instant noodles at 8:45 in the morning.

 

“Unnie, can I ask you a question?”

 

“You’d ask it even if I were to say no, right?”

 

Nayoung heard Somi’s girlish laugh and she smiled despite herself as well. Her maknae’s laughter was infectious. Nayoung carefully opened the packets of seasoning, trying her best not to make a mess because she didn’t wake up this early just to clean a kitchen. To be fair she didn’t wake up this early to cook breakfast for an obnoxious brat either. Maybe this whole ‘waking up early’ thing was something Nayoung shouldn’t be doing.

 

“How long have you and Jieqiong unnie been secretly dating?”

 

Nayoung’s body jerked in response to the question, sending a ladle containing boiling water sailing through the air and there was an uncharacteristically girlish squeak that escaped Nayoung as she tried to avoid getting scalded. Somi just laughed at the sequence of events that had taken place right in front of her.

 

“W-what was that Somi? I think I misheard you.”

 

Somi placed her palms on the dining table in front of her and leaned forward with a mischievous grin while Nayoung tried her best to not show how flustered she was. This maknae. This maknae has bad intentions. This maknae was evil.

 

“I askeeed, how long have you and Jieqiong unnie been dating? We saw you kissing each other last night. We all did. Smoochie smoochie with tongue! It was cool but in a gross kinda way. How long has this been going on behind our backs unnie?”

 

“It’s….I mean…g-gross? T-that was our first time! ALL of you…? W-what…Somi that was a private moment!”

 

Nayoung wanted to dig a hole. She would dig the deepest hole that she could dig, pack her bags, and move into the said hole. Her first kiss with Jieqiong had an AUDIENCE?! She didn’t know what to do with herself.

 

“So…are you two dating now?” Somi asked, after about 5 minutes of non-stop laughing and teasing.

 

“I…I’m not sure really.”

 

“It must be nice though. Being loved. I’m not sure I know what that feels like.”

 

At this Nayoung paused her cooking to turn around and flash the maknae a quizzical look. She was surprised when she saw Somi with her head down as the maknae traced patterns unto the tablecloth. The sudden change in mood threatened to give Nayoung whiplash by how fast things turned.

 

“Somi didn’t you receive 1st place? The whole nation loves you. Where is this coming from?”

 

“Not that kind of love. I mean…it must be nice to be wanted you know? And not just in a family way or an idol kinda way. Like…really wanted.”

 

Nayoung tilted her head and she frowned when she realized that the girl in front of her wasn’t the Jeon Somi that won 1st place out of 101 trainees and exuded boisterous confidence, but a fragile 15 year-old with insecurities and doubts. Nayoung wondered if Somi had someone specific in mind when she said she wanted to feel wanted, but it wasn’t Nayoung’s place to pry. What she did know for sure, was that her younger sister was doubting herself and Nayoung wasn’t having any of it.

 

So the leader abandoned her stirring of the simmering pot and walked towards the maknae, who still had her head down. Perhaps Somi was embarrassed to feel this way? Perhaps Somi was disappointed in herself for dropping her ‘spunky maknae’ persona and revealed something real. There were many reasons as to why Somi refused to look up, but she eventually did when she felt Nayoung envelop her in a tight hug, holding Somi close to her chest as she placed a gentle kiss to the crown of Somi’s head. They stayed like that for a few moments, and when they finally separated the maknae sported an unfamiliar red tinge on her cheeks.

 

“You are loved Somi. You are loved very much. And most probably the only reason nobody has expressed their wanting of you is because you’re underage and they don’t want to go to jail.”

 

Somi laughed weakly at that and playfully shoved her unnie away, who went back to cooking the ramyun.

 

“It’s weird when you’re nice to me unnie. Pretty words sound prettier coming out of your mouth because it doesn’t happen often.”

 

“I know right? I’m creeping myself out too!” Nayoung laughed and Somi smiled as she found the side of Nayoung that she very rarely had the pleasure of seeing. It was no wonder that Jieqiong fell for their leader so easily.

 

“Can you imagine if I tell the others that you actually have a warm personality unnie? Oh gosh they’ll never believe it!”

 

“Yah you better not you brat. I have a reputation to uphold. Years of being stone faced shall not go to waste.” Somi laughed even louder at that and threw a rolled up ball of tissue at Chef Stone.

 

“Have I ever told you that you’re my favourite unnie?” Somi asked in a playful manner.

 

“What?! I thought I was your favourite unnie!”

 

Nayoung turned around just in time to see her favourite person in the whole world give Somi a bone-crushing backhug which looked awfully similar to a Sleeper Hold. The leader’s eyes met Jieqiong’s and a smile danced across their features.

 

“Whoever is making me food is my favourite unnie!” Somi managed to choke out as Jieqiong’s backhug threatened to suffocate her.

 

“What? I feel used.” Nayoung playfully whined and Jieqiong squealed at the leader’s unexpected aegyo.

 

“Yah! Jeon Somi! Are you bullying your pushover leader into cooking for you again?” Jieqiong asked the maknae who could only giggle in response.

 

“I’m not a pushover.”

 

“Of course you’re not. Somi! Shame on you!” Jieqiong berated the younger girl before walking towards Nayoung and wrapping her arms around the latter’s waist from behind.

 

“And how’s your morning sweetie?”

 

“Don’t call me sweetie.” Nayoung responded, but she shivered slightly when Jieqiong affectionately nuzzled her shoulder.

 

“Awwh? Why not?” Jieqiong asked and the melodic question danced through the air into Nayoung’s ears creating a pleasant, tingly feeling.

 

“I’m not sweet.” It was true. Nayoung wasn’t sweet. She was bitter, sour, sometimes salty and most times bland but she can’t remember an instance of her ever being sweet.

 

“Can I get a morning kiss just to be sure?” Jieqiong playfully puckered her lips and Nayoung would have obliged if they didn’t have an audience. She’s not going to let that happen again.

 

“Jieqiong unnie hands off the chef! We don’t want to be eating anything weird in the ramyun!” Yeonjung scolded from the dining table.

 

“What the—Yeonjung when did you get here?”

 

Yeonjung casually shrugged and said “I smelled food”.

 

Soon the smell of ramyun and sounds of laughter managed to wake everybody else up and Nayoung had no choice but to cook more as the rest of the dorm’s occupants shuffled into the kitchen. The task was made a lot harder as Jieqiong and Yoojung insisted on trying to help her by tossing in random ingredients into the pot. Nayoung didn’t manage to get her relaxing quiet morning, but this wasn’t so bad.

 

 

 

*************************************************************

 

 

“Unnie, are you going on one of your walks again?”

 

Nayoung paused in the middle of wearing her jacket to nod at Sohye. Nayoung would often spend her free afternoons out and about alone, and nobody knew where their leader actually goes on these solo walks of hers. She would sometimes return with food for them, groceries, random magazines, or on one specific instance a basket full of apples. None of the members bothered to ask what she gets up to as they respected her space, but any attempt to join the leader would be met with a sheepish smile and Nayoung replying with an apologetic “Sorry, maybe next time.”

 

“Try not to burn the house down while I’m gone okay?” Nayoung said, half jokingly. She couldn’t forget the shock of receiving a call from a distressed Sejeong screaming that their kitchen was on fire while she was out.

 

“Unnie c’mon that happened ONCE! Nobody told me that bread was flammable!” Yoojung whined from inside her bedroom, eavesdropping on the conversation.

 

“It was pretty cool though! Who knew that spraying perfume on fire doesn’t put it out? Perfume is liquid! It makes no sense!” Doyeon exclaimed in wonderment, still amazed by the miracles of science.

 

“That’s because perfume has alcohol in it Doyeon. Of course it would just make the fire bigger. Duh!” Chaeyeon chimed in, berating her roommate.

 

“Oh c’mon Dumbface unnie the perfume was your idea!” Yoojung sprang to Doyeon’s defence and Nayoung could only watch the three in the room bicker, as Sohye sat down on the stairs watching the commotion. The leader was thankful that Sohye was one of the saner ones in the group. One less troublemaker to deal with.

 

“Chaeyeon. Please. With Chungha down with the flu, you’re the oldest one here.” Nayoung pleaded.

 

The DIA/IOI member gave a thumbs up and a large grin in response, saying “Don’t worry unnie I have everything under control.”

 

“Chaeyeon unnie I think your tshirt is on backwards.”

 

“What? Don’t be ridiculous Yeonjung there’s no wa—huh. How about that? It IS on backwards.” Chaeyeon looked at her tshirt in wonderment as Yeonjung sympathetically patted Nayoung’s shoulder. Her group was full of idiots. As Yoojung and Doyeon began another chorus of “Dumbface unnie strikes again!” in the small bedroom, Nayoung began to rethink her decision to leave the house.

 

“Just…just don’t let Yoojung near anything sharp.” Nayoung finished in resignation.

 

“And don’t you bring back anymore apples unnie!” Yeonjung chimed in from where she sat next to Sohye.

 

Nayoung checked the time on her wristwatch. What was taking her so long? Surely she didn’t need this much time to get ready? How can you improve what Nayoung already deemed as perfection?

 

As if on cue the door with the large crack running through it at the opposite end of the hall swung open and Jieqiong walked out, black hair somehow blowing in the non-existent wind and white tshirt accentuating the Chinese Goddess’ figure. The girl was a stunner, and Nayoung’s eyes were transfixed onto Jieqiong as she walked across the hall and latched herself onto Nayoung’s arm.

 

“Are we ready to leave?” Jieqiong asked as she looked up at Nayoung and the latter could only nod, unable to meet those beautiful hazel orbs that was peering up at her.

 

“Omo! Is Jieqiong joining you?! You never take people out on your walks!” Sohye exclaimed.

 

“Yaaah it must be fun to go on dates! No fair! Doyeonie take me somewhere nice too!”

 

“Unnie you can leave the dorm to me! You have my permission to come back home late tonight. Take our Jieqiong somewhere nice!”

 

“Aigoo look at our Stone unnie all grown up and going on dates and stuff!”

 

Nayoung could only rub at her temples as the commotion picked up around her. A tug on her sleeve caught her attention and she looked down to see Jieqiong smiling up at her brightly, a thousand stars in the younger girl’s eyes and Nayoung couldn’t help but remember how her own mother used to complain that you couldn’t see the stars in the city due to pollution. For the first time in her adult life, Nayoung could safely say her mother was wrong.

 

“Are we going on a date unnie? Am I underdressed? Should I change my clothes?”

 

“No Pinky. We’re going on a walk. You’re perfect. Let’s go.” Nayoung answered simply and walked out the front door, leading a blushing Jieqiong out with her, dumb grin and all.

 

“Did you hear that? ’You’re perfect. Let’s go.’ Waaauuu~ our stone Buddha is so cool. I have butterflies in my stomach.” Doyeon imitated her leader as she stared at the door the pair just walked through.

 

“OOH! Butterflies in your stomach?! I wanna see! I have a knife!” Yoojung excitedly chirped up and Chaeyeon sprang up with a yell to prevent the pipsqueak from doing anything weird.

 

“Nooo Yoojung no knives! Yeonjung stop encouraging her! Sohye help meeee I lied I can’t do this aloneee”

 

 

*****************************************************

 

 

Nayoung started walking down the street that her feet were so familiar with, hands in her jacket’s pocket to protect herself from the cold. She never liked noise. She never liked things beings disorganized, she never liked having people running all around her, and she definitely didn’t like her personal space being infringed upon. She loved the rest of her IOI members to bits but unfortunately they are guilty of causing all of the above problems.

 

So recognizing that she was the outlier, Nayoung would sneak out and go on solitary walks whenever she had the chance to. These walks can take up anywhere from half an hour to 2 hours, but for the duration of her time away from the dorm she can find some peace and quiet without being a downer on her members.

 

Today’s walk though, was slightly different. Today, she had company. Today she had a beautiful Chinese girl skipping gleefully next to her while wearing a dumb grin on her face as she chased pigeons and played with the neighborhood dogs. The younger girl’s antics was a definite change from her usual routine, but she didn’t find Jieqiong’s company intrusive in the slightest..

 

“What’s gotten you so happy?” Nayoung couldn’t help asking while a smile threatened to peek through her normally expressionless face as Jieqiong nearly tripped over her own feet as she skipped.

 

Jieqiong recovered from her near-fall with almost impossible grace. It was ridiculous, bordering on ludicrous. Jieqiong turned to answer Nayoung’s question while grinning widely, as if she didn’t nearly just eat a face full of gravel.

 

“This unnie that I really like invited me out for a walk today.”

 

 

Nayoung’s smile widened even more at the answer, and she rolled along with it, playing along with the younger girl.

 

“Oh really?”

 

“Mmhmm!” Jieqiong nodded and giggled, hooking an arm around Nayoung’s and falling in stride with the leader.

 

“Can you tell me more about this unnie of yours Pinky?”

 

“Why so curious? You usually don’t ask this many questions.” Jieqiong laughed and poked Nayoung’s ribs, causing the taller girl to spasm slightly.

 

“As your leader I have a say in who you spend time with. Wouldn’t want you to be seen with some unsavoury characters.”

 

Jieqiong contemplated this for a moment and rubbed her chin with her free hand, probably trying to seem like she was deep in thought but Nayoung highly doubted the girl currently attached to her arm was capable of doing any critical thinking of any manner.

 

“You do have a point there. Well, this unnie I like…. For starters, she’s the most beautiful girl I’ve ever met.”

 

That statement alone was enough to cause Nayoung to blush a furious shade of crimson and her heart threatened to beat out of her chest. Her stomach started doing that fuzzy, fluttery feeling that was often described in Disney movies and Nayoung hoped to God that Jieqiong was talking about her and not any other unnie that might have invited the younger girl out for a walk today.

 

“The most beautiful? Sounds like an awful lot of exaggeration is going on.”

 

“It does doesn’t it? But it’s true! She’s horrible at expressing herself with words, but her actions speak volumes. She’s quiet so I have to do most of the talking, but whenever she talks its the sweetest thing. She pretends to be cold and aloof but she’s as warm as freshly baked sweet potatoes. She’s so beautiful.”

 

Nayoung was almost certain that Jieqiong was talking about another person now. Should she be jealous? How dare Jieqiong speak of another girl so fondly with the same lips that was kissing Nayoung just the night before.

 

“She sounds like quite the character Pinky.”

 

“I’d introduce her to you but I really don’t think she’s your type of girl, unnie. I know you like the loud, confident, princess types.”

 

Nayoung smiled at the cheeky git next to her. Her cheeky git.

 

“I know. I have a soft spot for attractive Chinese girls who test my patience.”

 

“I think I know where you can find one unnie.”

 

Jieqiong pressed her body even closer to Nayoung’s side, so much so that it made walking almost difficult. Nayoung looked down and when her eyes met Jieqiong’s she was lost in them almost immediately, as if those eyes lead her to a whole other world. Those eyes that seem to view her in a way that she could never seem to match up to consumed her completely and it took everything within her not to lean down and capture that beautiful smile with one of her own.

 

“You do? You should send her my way. Maybe we can have a double date sometime.”

 

“Maybe we can. I’m glad that our tastes are so different though. I get to keep my unnie all to myself.”

 

For the umpteenth time that day, Zhou Jieqiong managed to break down Stone Nayoung’s façade.

 

“….yeah. She’ll all yours Pinky.”

 

Nayoung pulled the girl next to her even closer (if that was even possible) and pressed her lips softly to Jieqiong’s forehead, earning her a giggle from the Chinese beauty.

 

 

******************************************************

 

 

Nayoung brought them to a café she often frequented when she was alone, just a ways away from their dorm. It didn’t look like much from the outside. In fact, it was relatively tiny compared to the other shops sharing the same lot, but the wood-paneled interior was warm, cozy, and there was always the smell of freshly brewed coffee wafting through the air.

 

She had come here often enough to have a “usual” order, one where the strapping young barista cheerfully started making as soon as he caught sight of the girl entering the shop. Jieqiong stared in amazement as Nayoung and the barista made eye contact, and somehow managed to communicate an order without the taller girl even saying a word.

 

“Their hazelnut lattes are amazing.” Nayoung informed the Chinese girl, as if that was enough of an explanation for what had just happened. Jieqiong accepted it though, and took it as a suggestion that she should order the same.

 

Nayoung paid for both of their drinks, but not without Jieqiong kicking up a fuss about it first. She could afford her own latte. There was no need for Nayoung to treat her but the older girl insisted, getting away with it by using the “leader” card on a scowling Jieqiong. The scowl was further deepened when the earlier barista who also pulled double-duty as the cashier informed their order total to Nayoung, who handed the money over with a sly wink.

 

The blush on the young barista’s cheeks did not go unnoticed by Jieqiong, neither did the 20% discount that was later added to their total.

 

“You were flirting with the cashier guy.” Jieqiong stated pointedly as soon as they were seated. Nayoung simply looked up from stirring her beverage with eyes so innocently large that Jieqiong actually felt ashamed of herself for accusing the taller girl for a second there.

 

“Was I? I wasn’t aware.” Jieqiong watched the older girl bring the mug up to her lips, taking a long sip out of it and letting out a contented sigh as the flavor of the latte danced on her taste buds. A thin layer of foam coated the top of Nayoung’s lip and Jieqiong temporarily forgot what she was miffed about when the beauty before her subconsciously the foam off.

 

Nayoung must have realized, because the lips that Jieqiong was currently gawking at curved up at the edges, forming a teasing smile. That snapped Jieqiong back to her senses. Nayoung was playing her right now. Im Nayoung was playing her, and Jieqiong was both annoyed and intrigued at this side of her normally expressionless leader. The annoyed side was winning though.

 

“You winked at him, and we got a discount. You were using your…your feminine wiles to get us cheaper coffee!” Jieqiong accused, not being mindful of how loud she was being in a public setting.

 

“Feminine wiles, Pinky? Is that what we are calling it now?” Nayoung repeated with a hint of amusement in her voice, making Jieqiong’s face heat up at how ridiculous her choice of words sounded, now that it was being repeated back to her.

 

“Yes. Yes that is exactly what we are calling your winking!”

 

“You’re jealous.” Nayoung deduced, still sounding amused.

 

“Of course I’m jealous! How am I not supposed to be jealous?! This is me being very jealous. And unamused.”

 

Nayoung was slightly taken aback by that reply. She had expected Jieqiong to deny that she was jealous and Nayoung was prepared to tease the girl to oblivion and back trying to get her to admit it but the Chinese girl had zapped the fun right out of the little game by admitting to her outright that she was, indeed, jealous. And also unamused.

 

She didn’t know why she expected anything less of the girl. Jieqiong was unapologetic and direct, something that the careful Nayoung could never be. Maybe that was one of the many reasons why Nayoung fell for Zhou Jieqiong, the girl that was currently sat across from her with her arms folded and a pout on her face, completely ignoring the hazelnut latte in front of her.

 

“I wasn’t winking at him. I had something in my eye.” Nayoung pathetically made up a lie for her earlier actions, realizing early on that her little game of making Jieqiong jealous wasn’t going to be as fun as she had thought. Yes she was flirting with the barista, but only because a 20% discount goes a long way for a financially-strapped newly debuted idol living in the heart of Seoul. Jieqiong still looked miffed. Nayoung was apologetic.

 

“You better be telling the truth unnie. I don’t really like the idea of guys thinking they have a chance with my girl.” The Chinese girl huffed with her arms crossed, and Nayoung couldn’t help but raise an inquisitive eyebrow at the statement.

 

Your girl?”

 

“I didn’t stutter, did I?”

 

“Is that what I am now? Your girl?” Nayoung felt a rush of butterflies fill up her stomach. She didn’t find Jieqiong’s possessiveness imposing one bit, rather she felt oddly flattered.

 

“Well I better hope you are! I had my tongue halfway down your throat last night and in case you have the wrong impression of me I don’t just do that for any girl.”

 

“Pinky!” Nayoung hissed with wide eyes, looking around to see if anybody else in the small café had heard what the ridiculous girl in front of her had practically announced. The butterflies in Nayoung’s stomach had dissolved into a puddle of shame and embarrassment in just a few seconds.

 

“No seriously though can I tell that to Mr. 20% Discount over there? So that he can stop making eyes at you from across the room?”

 

“Pinky, please stop. You’re an idol. You’re not supposed to be shoving your tongue anywhere.” Nayoung helplessly groaned as she massaged her temple. Jieqiong was currently pointing right towards the barista, making no effort to be discreet about it. Nayoung liked this café. The ambiance was good, and the food matched it. She wanted to come here again in the future, but Jieqiong was causing a scene and she could see any chance of future visits slowly diminishing.

 

“I don’t remember reading anything about that in the idol manual Pledis gave us…and I certainly didn’t hear you complaining last night either.” Jieqiong wiggled her eyebrows playfully, and Nayoung hated how her own face seemed to heat up at Jieqiong’s vulgar implication.

 

“Read it again. There’s a paragraph in section 4A dedicated just to you.”

 

“Yes, leader-nim.”

 

Leader-nim. Leader-nim. Something about being called that struck Nayoung somehow. With both their feelings laid out in the open, where do they stand? Somi had asked earlier if they were dating, and Nayoung herself wasn’t sure. If she had said yes, would she just be assuming? What if she assumed wrong? Kind of ridiculous considering the intimacy they shared last night, but Nayoung was never one to jump to conclusions without proof. She was never good at trusting her instincts. She was meticulous, which was what made her a good leader.

 

It was also what probably made her a horrible lover.

 

“What are we now Pinky? Are we dating?”

 

Jieqiong took a moment to answer, looking contemplative for once in her life. “I don’t know. Is this a date?”

 

Nayoung wasn’t sure how to answer that. “What qualifies it as a date? What’s the difference between a coffee hangout, and a coffee date?”

 

“The intention behind it I suppose. For instance, what was going through your mind when you brought me here? To your secret lil’ coffee shop that you’ve brought nobody else to?”

 

“What kind of intention should I have? I mean, coffee is coffee. It’s a nice place and I wanted to bring you to a nice place.” Nayoung responded, choosing to let the last comment slide because she didn’t feel like admitting that Jieqiong was the first person Nayoung has brought here.

 

“The intention matters!” Jieqiong insisted, waving her arms around wildly for emphasis, effectively gaining the attention of (most of) the customers in the tiny café.  “Like, did you just want me to try out their hazelnut latte’s or did you want to find out how the hazelnut latte would taste like on my lips?”

 

Jieqiong winked, and Nayoung sputtered like a fish out of water. She didn’t know if she was more embarrassed about the girl opposite her talking so openly about kissing each other, or that the implication itself was enough to make Nayoung blush an impressive shade of crimson.

 

“…You’re a special kind of idiot.” Nayoung finally breathed out, and Jieqiong broke out into another round of raucous laughter.

 

“And you’re in love with this idiot so who’s the bigger idiot?”

 

“I never said anything about love.”

 

“You don’t have to say anything.” Jieqiong stated with a shrug, and Nayoung found herself raising an eyebrow again at the simple answer. Amused by the rarely-seen curious side of Nayoung, Jieqiong chose to elaborate further on her response. “It’s from the way you look at me I guess. I can read you disturbingly well, remember?”

 

“And how exactly do I look at you Pinky?”

 

“Probably the same way I look at you.”

 

Huh. So that was how it feels like to have someone sweep you off your feet. One simple statement and Nayoung felt like her feet were no longer touching the ground. It was quite an addictive feeling. 10 out of 10 she would definitely recommend.

 

And Nayoung knew exactly what Jieqiong meant, because she notices the way the Chinese girl looks at her. She notices the way Jieqiong’s eyes twinkle just for her, the way those eyes light up whenever Nayoung slips a little and lets a small smile decorate her face whenever Jieqiong does the silly things she does. Jieqiong looks at her as if she was the only beautiful thing left in this world, which mirrored Nayoung’s feelings for her.

 

“So I must look pretty dumb right now then.” Nayoung leaned forward, uncharacteristic teasing smile on her face, hand supporting her chin.

 

“You do. You’re grinning like a fool, leader-nim.” Jieqiong responded in kind, mirroring the taller girl’s actions.

 

“Can’t have that can we? Being a fool is your thing.”

 

“First you called me an idiot, now you’re calling me a fool. Don’t you have any better things to call me?”

 

Nayoung pretended to ponder the question for a moment, knowing full well what she wanted to call the girl. She’s known for as long as she could remember, but she just needed a moment or five to gather all the courage she could muster and borrow to do so.

 

“How about if I called you my girlfriend?”

 

The question rolled off her tongue like a weight off her shoulders. She was so used to being composed and in control, that it was actually odd how asking something so reckless and leaving herself this exposed could give this much satisfaction.

 

She should definitely try to be reckless more often. Especially if doing so would result in Jieqiong being as speechless as she was right now. Jieqiong had a dumbstruck look on her face while opening and closing like a fish. A very pretty fish. A fish that Nayoung would like to date. A Chinese fish that she had just asked to be her girlf—OHGOD SHE HAD JUST ASKED JIEQIONG TO BE HER GIRLFRIEND. Don’t panic Nayoung don’t panic. Why did she do that? Why is she so stupid? Why hasn’t Jieqiong responded yet? Did she misread the situation? Maybe Jieqiong doesn’t really like her. Maybe they didn’t kiss last night. Maybe Jieqiong had tripped and landed on her lips, multiple times. Oh god she’s such an idio—

 

“That’s…t-that’s definitely something I wouldn’t object to. Being called your girlfriend. I wouldn’t mind that at all.”

 

Oh. Oh okay. Everything is good. Phew. Worried? Who was worried? Definitely not Nayoung. Nope. Who is this “Worried” person? Must be from another girlgroup because IOI’s leader Im Nayoung was not worried.

 

“Good. It’s settled then. You’re my girlfriend now.” Nayoung played off nonchalantly, polishing off the last of her latte in one long gulp.

 

Instead of looking happy, Jieqiong instead had her eyebrows furrowed, wearing a confused expression on her face that caused Inner Nayoung to squeal at how adorable her girlfriend looked. “So is that it? Kinda lackluster isn’t it? I mean I’ve been waiting years for this moment I always dreamt that it would be more…wow.” Jieqiong asked with a slight pout.

 

“Are you sure you’ve been dreaming of the right Nayoung? I heard Kim is pretty extravagant with her displays of affection.”

 

“Pretty sure.”

 

“Sorry to disappoint you. I’ll plan a proper surprise event some other time.”

 

“It’s not really a surprise now is it?”

 

“Oh.” Nayoung frowned in realization. “I guess you’re right.”

 

Jieqiong could only weakly shake her head at her girlfriend, wearing a smile that threatened to never leave. “Unnie, you at this.”

 

“I know. I’m trying though. I’m not used to this…” Nayoung waved her arms around in an effort to convey her thoughts. “…..this expressing thing.”

 

“I know.It’s cute.” There was a twinkle of affection in Jieqiong’s eyes that mirrored the stars in the sky outside. It was already late. They should be heading back, lest Nayoung risk having to call the fire department to their dorms again. She didn’t want to leave though. She liked being here with Jieqiong. In a dorm with 11 people there was rarely any time for privacy.

 

Jieqiong must have felt the same way because as Nayoung gestured it was time to leave, the Chinese girl asked “Wanna stop by the apple ahjumma’s shop later?”

 

Nayoung paused mid-standing up to shoot a confused look at Jieqiong. “We still have a whole basket at the dorm.”

 

“I know. I just want to tell the apple ahjumma to back off cause you’re my girlfriend now. You’re mine.”

 

Nayoung would have taken it as a joke, had she not seen the seriousness in her girlfriend’s face and the way Jieqiong’s lips seemed to form a straight line. Apparently she’s underestimated her girlfriend’s ability to be jealous, which was probably information that she should take into account in the future.

 

Still, being jealous of an old lady was plain ridiculous. No disrespect to Mrs. Apple Ahjumma but even in the fruit vendor’s prime Nayoung was sure she couldn’t hold a candle to the girl still seated in front of her. Nayoung actually doubted if there has ever been another person in the history of planet earth that could rival her goddess in looks. Jieqiong being jealous of anything is the silliest thing she’s ever heard, and Nayoung intended to let the girl know that.

 

“I love you.”

 

Okay. That wasn’t what Nayoung had intended to say, but she definitely wasn’t thinking straight right now. Apparently Zhou Jieqiong’s silliness is infectious because weird things are starting to come out of without her permission. Weird things that she probably shouldn’t be revealing to her girlfriend mere minutes after becoming a couple.

 

Jieqiong initially looked disarmed, not expecting that answer but the surprise on her face was almost immediately replaced with that signature cheeky smile of hers. That smile that made Nayoung want to do very, very reckless things. “Now are we talking about love?”

 

“We can have an entire conversation about the subject if you’d like.”

 

Jieqiong’s expression was tender as she stood up and walked around the table towards Nayoung, stopping right in front of her girlfriend. “I’d love to.”

 

“And I love you unnie.” And with that confession Nayoung felt that warm smile press softly against her cheek, public discretion and idol image be damned. Nayoung would of course kick a fuss about it normally, but today….

 

She could let it slide for today.

 

 

************************************************************

 

 

Sohye crept out of her bedroom as quietly as she could, hyper aware that even the tiniest of noises she made was hyper-amplified in the quiet dorm at 2:30am in the morning. This wasn’t her first late night run to the kitchen. In fact, she would even consider herself a pro at this “sneaking-out-to-eat-after-midnight” thing. If it was an Olympic sport Sohye would dare say she could place in it.

 

As good as she was at it though she knew it was something she really shouldn’t be doing, because as an idol her life revolves around her diet. Nayoung would probably kill her if she found out, and disappointing her hardworking leader was the last thing she wanted to do but she was just so hungry. She’s spent the past four dinners finishing up the remainder of Nayoung’s apples, which really wasn’t much after a full 15 hour day schedule. Tonight she needed to eat something of substance. She needed to eat something that she will probably regret in the morning.

 

Sohye entered the living room to find that it wasn’t as dark as it should have been at 2:30am in the morning. The room was dimly illuminated by the large TV screen, which was weird because it was 2:30am. Who on earth would be watching TV at this ungodly hour?

 

Sohye soon received her answer, when she caught sight of Nayoung and Jieqiong cuddled together on the couch, obviously not paying attention to the TV at all, which was a waste of electricity in Sohye’s opinion (although she would be the last person in the dorm to voice that out). Jieqiong was asleep on Nayoung, and their leader was looking down at the Chinese girl in her arms with so much affection that Sohye actually nearly let out a dreamy sigh at the sight in front of her. The pair were in their own little bubble, and the penguin couldn’t help but feel like she was intruding on something private.

 

And then Nayoung’s eyes caught hers, and Sohye froze in place. She was screwed. She watched the leader’s eyes snap between her and the kitchen, her destination with bated breath as a knowing look graced Nayoung’s face. She knew. Of course Nayoung knew. What else could Sohye be doing sneaking around this late at night? Just as Sohye was on paragraph 3 of the apology she was crafting in her head, Nayoung let out a small smile and….nodded.

 

Nayoung nodded. Was that a nod of approval? What that a nod confirming that indeed, Sohye was going to die tonight at the young age of 17?

 

Deciding that if she was going to die tonight she’d want it to be on a full stomach, Sohye nodded back in return and sped-walked into the kitchen. She hurriedly fixed herself a bowl of honey-oat cereal and prayed to god that Nayoung would have the decency to wait until she’s had seconds before ending her life.

 

“Still awake unnie?”

 

Sohye very nearly ended her own life at that moment when she accidentally swallowed a huge lump of cereal in shock. The penguin looked up in alarm to see not Nayoung standing at the entryway to the kitchen, but the maknae instead. A very groggy looking maknae, she might add. Relieved, Sohye downed her glass of milk before addressing Somi.

 

“I could ask you the same thing. You shouldn’t be up this late, Som. You’re still young, you need your sleep.”

 

“You must be joking.” Somi scoffed as she took a seat next to Sohye, resting her head on the latter’s shoulder. She knew Somi wouldn’t take her comment seriously because sleep was a myth in their line of work. The maknae probably hadn’t been getting enough sleep for the past 4 years of her life, with how long she’s been training to be an idol.

 

“It’s rude not to laugh at jokes.” Sohye laughed lightly as she felt the maknae nuzzle into her shoulder affectionately, like a cat seeking attention.

 

“I’m too sleepy to laugh.”

 

“Then go back to sleep.”

 

“I can’t. I need you near me to sleep. Your snoring is relaxing.”

 

Sohye tried to ignore that feeling that threatened to rise up in her whenever she was alone with Somi. That dangerous weight at the pit of her stomach that shall not be addressed even though it is practically begging for attention. It took Sohye a significant amount of conscious effort to nonchalantly dismiss Somi’s earlier statement. “…Som, we’ve only been sharing a room for a few months. You’ve spent a good portion of your life sleeping fine without me.”

 

“Well, now I can’t sleep fine without you near me. It’s as simple as that.”

 

“Som…” Sohye began, only to be cut off halfway.

 

“I know…I know. It’s the age thing again.”

 

Sohye could hear the pain in her maknae’s voice and it felt like a papercut to her heart. Something so tiny that shouldn’t hurt as much as it does. Hurting Somi was the last thing she wanted to do but this wasn’t the first time she’s hurt the girl and she’s sure as all hell this wouldn’t be the last as well. “We’ve been through this, it’s for your own good.”

 

“Is it for my own good, or yours unnie?” Somi countered back, head no longer on Sohye’s shoulder. Sohye didn’t dare to look at the girl because she knew what she would find looking back at her. Nothing but frustration and loneliness, with a pinch of hope thrown into the mix.

 

The hope was the worst part.

 

“Ours. It’s for our own good.” Sohye responded weakly, sounding not thoroughly convinced herself.

 

Jeon Somi was brilliant. Only 15, already prepped and primed to take over the world. Somi has trained her whole life just to debut, and now that she finally has it really appears as if there is nothing in the world that can stop her rapid climb. Sohye herself realized that she was the polar opposite of Somi. She wasn’t as brilliant, yet she’s already somehow managed to debut in a girl group with only a few months of practice.

 

She was bad for Somi. She was bad for the girl’s development. She was bad for Somi’s career. She was just going to weigh the girl down in the long run, and she didn’t want to be the filter that dampens how brightly the younger girl can shine. Somi was only 15. She’s far too young for relationships, and a career-threatening one at that.

 

But there was a part of Sohye that was selfish beyond belief, and she wanted to put both their futures at risk and just….hold her. She wanted to just embrace Somi without feeling guilty about it.

 

“Three years Som. Just three years, that’s all I ask.” Sohye pleaded softly, finally turning to face Somi and as soon as she caught sight of the latter’s teary eyes she almost immediately regretted it. Three years was the answer she came up with. In three years both of them should have already built a steady foothold in the industry. In three years, they would both be legal adults.

 

Sohye reached out to tuck a stray strand of flawless auburn behind Somi’s ear but the younger girl retreated away, frustration having reached a boiling point.

 

“That’s such a long time! Three years is plenty of time for your feelings to change, for you to change your mind, for you to get together with somebody else! How can you promise me that we will be together in three years?!”

 

Sohye left her hand hovering in the air, fingers ghosting over where Somi once was. She felt horrible. She knew Somi was hurting inside and she knew how lonely the girl has been feeling but she couldn’t find it within her to promise something that she wasn’t sure she could keep. Nobody knows what the future will entail.

 

There was also a part of Sohye, hidden deep within her insecurities that felt that if she had made the promise, she wouldn’t be the one to break it in the future.

 

“I can’t. I can’t promise you that Som.”

 

Sohye reached out again for Somi, but this time the younger girl didn’t back away. Sohye gently caressed Somi’s cheek with her thumb and she watched as the younger girl seemed to melt into her touch. “But I can honestly say that I love you very much Som, and I can promise that won’t change anytime soon.”

 

Somi looked up straight into Sohye’s eyes and holy how could somebody be THIS beautiful?! There was that hesitation again. She shouldn’t be doing this. Although Somi was only 2 years younger then her, the girl was still far too young for Sohye to act out the thoughts currently in her head. If only Sohye had stronger self-restraint. If only Somi did not look so damn perfect.

 

And then Somi sighed, and Sohye had to resist the urge to trace the air the younger girl exhaled back to her lips. Somi was looking up at her with eyes full of unadulterated want and it was drawing Sohye in like a moth to a blazing bonfire.

 

“The world isn’t watching unnie.” Somi whispered as she leaned forward, eyes drooping shut. “We’re in our kitchen, there’re no cameras, no onlookers, nobody else here but us. All the other members are asleep. Can we pretend that we’re in a time machine and that we’re now three years into the future? Just this once?”

 

It was tempting. Good God was it tempting. She had made the mistake once before, during a moment of weakness after a particularly grueling practice session that Somi had kindly guided her through. It began with Sohye tearing up in frustration at not being able to keep up, and somehow ended with the both of them sharing a chaste kiss in the studio later that evening.

 

The problem with that however, was that Sohye to this day refers to that incident as a “mistake”. And now, with Somi leaning in so close to her she could count the younger girl’s lashes if she wanted to, she was inclined to make the same mistake all over again.

 

Except she doesn’t. Somehow she manages to find herself at the last moment and instead of capturing the younger girl’s lips Sohye instead pressed her lips to Somi’s forehead. Gentle and soft, yet with enough affection to make Somi understand that Sohye couldn’t give what she wanted at the current moment.

 

They stayed like that for a few seconds, until Somi finally leaned back to look at her future girlfriend. “I’ll wait for you. I promise I will. This isn’t just young love, I feel it in my bones.” Somi enforced, wiping her teary eyes with the back of her hand.

 

“Just three years.” Sohye whispered back, and to which Somi nodded with a sad smile.

 

“…Just three years.”

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I started writing this chapter before Gugudan even had a name. Hahaha! As you might be able to tell, the writing style sorta shifts a lot throughout the chapter as my style changed throughout the last few months. Someone commented before they wanted to see a jealous Jieqiong, so I included that in here. The Sohye x Somi ship was just something someone requested and i thought I could include in here instead of making it's own oneshot. 

Hope y'all enjoyed this. It took awhile to complete, but I was inspired by all the love and support this fic has been getting. So many comments, so many upvotes, gosh you guys are the best. I've been very busy with work, so I don't have the time to thank y'all individually or reply to all the comments, but I will do so as soon as I'm able to. This chapter is a gift of sorts, to show that I still read and appreciate the kind words.

Keep the comments coming though! Tell me if you liked it, tell me if you wanna see more, tell me what you wanna see, and if I have the time I might make another update in 8 months hahaha! 

Again, thanks for the love. Really keeps a dude going. <3