Curiosity Nearly Killed the Cat

Kisses from the Deep

    I ducked my head and dove forward, arms stretching out instinctively above my head as I pressed off the pebbled pool deck and plunged into the cold depths. Water rushed over me and the temperature was briefly jarring before I adjusted to the feeling, traveling forward with the familiar languor of swimming. A smile curled my lips as I felt the water running along my legs and face, pressing frigid kisses along my stomach and caressing over my shoulders and back. I broke out of my streamline and swept an arm forward, slicing through the water and beginning to kick my feet. 
    The water warmed quickly once I began to move, recognizing me as an old friend and wrapping me in a comfortable embrace. I took my time with my , taking lazy breaths as I flipped at the far end and pushed off the wall, dolphin kicking slowly along the bottom. I opened my eyes and scooped forward with my hands, my hips undulating quickly as I reached the deep end again and rejoiced in rolling through the water, tucking into underwater flips and dives down to the bottom.
    My feet pressed off the bottom and I shot up to the surface, taking in a deep lungful of clean air and feeling goosebumps prickle along my shoulders and face as the cold morning air hit my wet skin. The pool was deserted this early in the morning and I relaxed onto my back, spreading my arms out to my sides and trailing my fingertips through the water, my eyes slitted against the droplets pooling on my cheeks.
    I let myself float there, my breath growing deeper as I relaxed further, my mind drifting off. The water was where I felt most at home, the place I let myself think and breathe and live to the fullest. This was my element.
    My thoughts were interrupted by a low buzzing that filled the back of my head, my eyes opening reluctantly. I looked around for the source as the buzzing intensified, spreading through my head and tingling down to my fingertips. I frowned and took a deep breath, water rushing into my lungs and down my throat as I looked around with wide eyes.
    I was jolted roughly out of my dream and lay panting in my bed, sheets twisted around my ankles. I took a moment to catch my breath and then realized the buzzing hadn’t halted, the screen of my phone lighting up my dark bedroom as my phone came dangerously close to vibrating its way off my nightstand. 
    I sighed and reached out to scoop the device up with fingers made clumsy from sleep, stabbing at the screen blindly and moving to sit up in bed. I realized I had accepted a video call from my mom and managed a smile at her when she waved enthusiastically, my hands scrubbing the sleep from my eyes and reaching out to flick on my bedside lamp.
    “Hey, sweetie!” My mom was still waving and smiling, her hair pulled up in a messy bun with several wild tendrils weaving around her cheeks.
    “Hey, Ma.” I grunted, my already deep voice roughened with sleep. I my dry lips and reached out to take a gulp from the bottle of water next to me, feeling slightly more awake after I had swallowed. 
    “Oh, hon, is it a bad time?” My mom said, sounding concerned. She ducked her head to inspect her watch and then gasped, eyes widening comically. 
    “No, no, Mom. I like getting up at four in the morning.” I teased sarcastically, smiling at her despite myself. She grinned back, the dimple in her cheek matching mine, and laughed.
    “Why are you up so late?” I asked, realizing it was around one in the morning for her. 
    “We were night surfing.” My mom said, and I recognized the telltale flecks of sand dried on her forehead and neck. When I was younger I would comb my fingers through her hair and always end up with a palmful of sand, her hair still smelling like salt and fresh air. 
    “Was it fun? Any shark attacks?” I teased, taking another gulp of water and yawning quickly after.
    “Hon, I don’t want to keep you awake so late. Why don’t we just talk tomorrow?” My mom suggested, still managing to be the perfect balance between friend and mom.
    “I’ve got work tomorrow.” I protested, secretly a little glad to be able to get some more sleep now.
    “Ooh, first day, right?” My mom smiled again. “Good luck!”
    “Thanks, Mom.” I smiled back, watching her wave to me.
    “Go get some sleep, ok, Ravi?” My mom said, making me roll my eyes at the childhood nickname. 
    “You, too.” I said, waving until she ended the call and my phone screen returned to my call history. I turned off my phone and sighed, dropping it back onto my nightstand and tucking my hands back under the covers
    The house was silent and I felt a familiar stab of loneliness, turning over to curl up tightly on my side. My housemate had gone home for summer break, taking his two dogs with him, and I had decided to stay here for the break. I wasn’t used to living on my own and I had wanted to get a pet of some kind to keep me from feeling so alone, but with my new job I wouldn’t have much time to stay home anyway. 
    I rolled back onto my back, realizing sleep wouldn’t come easily now that I was fully awake. I stared up at my ceiling, recalling the vivid images from my dream. It made me ache to plunge into a pool or the ocean, and I was weighing the cost of going to my first day of work tired. I closed my eyes, picturing myself sliding down into silky volumes of blue, letting the strength of the water support me. The public beaches would still be closed at this hour, but I had a membership to a 24-hour gym with a pool that I planned to fully take advantage of.
    I pulled the covers back and stood, finding my balance and pressing my bare feet into the cool wooden floor. I yawned, stretching my arms up over my head and leaning back to feel my vertebrae crack down my lower back, popping and shifting pleasantly. I finished off the water bottle by my bed and then stumbled towards my closet, almost tripping over a wakeboard that had fallen from its place against the wall to stretch through my path. 
    I sighed as I walked to my closet and dug through my stack of clothes for an old sweatshirt and a swimsuit. I put on the swimsuit and then tugged my warm sweatpants back on over it, trying to keep out the cold early morning air. I pulled on socks, tugging the sweatshirt’s hood up around my ears and cinching the drawstring tight, making my way out of my room after scooping my phone into my pocket.
    I picked up my backpack with my swimming gear already inside of it and slipped it onto one shoulder, closing my bedroom door behind myself. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed my wallet from the countertop, slipping that into my pocket as well and opening the refrigerator. I pulled out a pitcher of iced tea and filled a plastic water bottle with it, replacing the pitcher in the fridge and snagging my car keys from their hook by the back door.
    The sky was deep purple, barely suffused with a lighter grey near the horizon, and the chilly air nipped at my fingertips and ears. The porch light afforded a small amount of golden light, enough for me to find my car and beep it open. I slid into the driver’s seat and set my water bottle down in the console, fiddling with the radio before I found a station I liked.
    The gym was only a few minutes away but I took my time, driving slowly and looking along the empty streets. The night stole the color from the world, turning everything shades of purple and blue, and I felt like the only person on the planet at times like this. The low voices from the radio crooned a disagreement, but I still felt like the early morning held some sort of secret only I was privy to. 
    The gym was empty except for the night attendant slowly spinning in his chair with a book balanced on his lap to keep him from falling asleep. I waved to him and scanned my membership card, continuing on towards the pool area. I pushed the door to the pool open and let it swing shut behind me, looking out across the deserted deck.
    I took a deep breath, pulling the humid, chlorine-scented air into my lungs and closing my eyes in content. I set my bag down on one of the chairs by the pool and kicked off my shoes and clothes, pulling out my cap and goggles. My towel followed them into the open air and I set it down next to my bag, taking a gulp from my water bottle before walking to set the container by the edge of the pool. I walked back to pick up my cap and goggles, taking my time and pressing my feet into the pebbled deck to take in the texture. 
    I spread my hands inside the cap and felt the material stretch taut around my fingers, ducking forward and snapping the rubber down over my head. I fiddled with the cap, using an experienced finger to scoop my ears out from under the material and pull it down further over my forehead. I fit my goggles over the cap next and sighed, stretching my arms up over my head and bending forward to stretch my lower back and legs.
    The water rippled gently as I prodded a toe towards it, testing the temperature and glancing around to make sure the room was empty. Swimming alone was the best feeling in the world and I leapt forward, feeling the water’s surface break over the top of my head and rush over my face. 
    I kept my arms in a tight streamline, kicking my way down towards the bottom. After a few seconds I raised my arms to my sides and leveled out, hovering a foot off the bottom, parallel to the polished tiles below me. I blinked slowly, staring at the opposite end before closing my eyes.
    I hung, suspended, and swept my arms slowly along my sides. It was easy now to hold my breath for minutes at a time without thinking about it, and I allowed my body to just relax. My mind processed thoughts slowly, and I thought back to when I had really fallen in love with the water.
    I was able to swim before I could walk. My mom was a champion surfer in her day and moved back to Hawaii when she had me; my dad was killed in a boating accident just after I was born. Mom still went out swimming by herself on the anniversary of his death every year; she says he was really into the ocean like her. Water had always been my home too, but I hadn’t been truly addicted to it until I was about 13.
    I had begun to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, and I realized the only way to truly quiet my mind was to spend time underwater. Something about the absolute silence and the weightlessness of it soothed my mind and allowed me to finally loosen up. I would swim for hours at a time, escaping myself and relying on the water to comfort me and support me. Holding my breath stopped my panic attacks, and I still used swimming as therapy whenever my anxiety threatened to return. I was used to feeling anxious in certain social settings on a daily basis—the main reason why the water was still my drug.
    I was an addict, but damn did it feel good.
    I began to feel a familiar tightening around my lungs and opened my eyes slowly, tilting my body up and sweeping my arms forward. I began a lazy dolphin kick towards the surface and took a quick breath before diving back down, pushing off the bottom and beginning a lap of butterfly.
    I had gotten into college on a considerable scholarship for swimming and water polo, and I liked to keep in shape even when the team wasn't practicing. Sometimes I would even swim twice a day, running through my familiar workout and then spending extra time lifting weights. 
    A heavy splash from the other end of the pool made me glance over, another swimmer’s entry shattering my thoughts. The other swimmer began swimming laps and I glanced down at my watch, standing in the shallow end to catch my breath. Water droplets slid down my shoulders and across my chest, tickling softly. 
    I turned, pressing my palms into the side of the pool and pushing myself out of the water. The cold air hit me immediately and I hurried to my towel, wrapping it tightly around my shoulders and pressing my body into the material, bringing warmth to my flexed muscles. 
    I took a quick moment to rub my towel over my hair and then replace it around my shoulders. I stuffed my clothes into my bag and grabbed my water bottle, walking out to my car. I shivered as I drove, dripping water onto my seats, and happily pulled into my driveway. 
    I deposited my wet towel over the back of the passenger seat and walked inside, kicking off my flip-flops and hurrying to my bedroom. I shucked off my wet suit and hung it up to dry, toweling off and pulling on pajama bottoms and a soft tank top. 
    I snuggled down in bed and sighed contentedly, turning off my light and pulling the blankets up to my chin. The best feeling in the world was putting comfortable clothes back on after a morning swim and climbing under a blanket, warming my chilled skin and letting my muscles sink into the mattress for a short nap. 
    I awoke to my alarm blaring at me and smacked at it groggily, batting it against the wall hard enough for it shut off. I sighed as I stood and walked to the shower, rinsing the chlorine from my skin and rubbing lotion into my skin after I got out. The chlorine from the pool sometimes gave me itchy patches of eczema, but I could usually prevent them by using a special skin cream my mom made me. 
    I tugged on clothes and grabbed a granola bar from the kitchen, checking my watch and hoping I wasn’t going to be late. I got in the car and took a brief moment to settle my nerves, checking my reflection in the rearview mirror and trying to comb my hair down into some semblance of neatness. 
    I finally gave up and turned the ignition, pulling out from the driveway and driving to the marine park. It didn’t take me as long as I thought it would, the streets still slightly empty as the town began to wake up.
    I closed my car door and looked up at the sign over the front of the marine park, reaching into the backseat to pull on my backpack and then lock my doors. I made my way through the park, looking for someone to tell me where to go and finding it nearly empty. This made sense as the park wasn’t even open yet, but I sighed in relief when I saw a sign labeled Customer Service.
    I pushed my way through the door and looked around, shivering at the blast of air conditioning. I walked up the front desk and gave the girl standing there a smile, adjusting my bag absentmindedly.
    “Hi, I’m Wonshik Kim. I’m supposed to start work today.” I said, hoping she would give me some directions. To my relief she nodded, ducking down behind the counter to pull out a stack of red and white clothes.
    “This is the uniform you’re supposed to wear, and here are extra shirts and shorts.” she said, pushing the stack towards me. “Go change, and I’ll tell Ken you’re here.”
    “Thank you,” I said, walking towards the bathroom she pointed to and quickly pulling on the red shorts and one of the white tank tops. My lip curled as I saw a red visor sitting at the bottom of the stack, shoving it back towards the bottom of my bag and walking back outside.
    A young man was waiting a few feet away, wearing identical shorts and shirt to the ones I had on, and I cleared my throat. He turned, his face lighting up when he saw me.
    “Hey, you must be Wonshik. I’m Ken; I’m supposed to be training you.” he smiled widely, extending a hand. I shook it firmly and returned his smile, hoisting my backpack higher on my shoulder with my other hand. 
    “Nice to meet you.” I said, following him quickly when he motioned me after him and began walking towards what looked like a snack bar.
    Ken opened the door and stepped inside, waiting for me to follow before sweeping an arm around the spacious room.
    “Alright, one of your jobs will be manning the snack bar. We’ll teach you how to operate the cash register and everything in about a week or two; for now you’ll just be doing cleaning and stuff.” Ken said, showing me where I could stash my bag in one corner of the snack bar. 
    “I thought I was going to be lifeguarding,” I admitted, a little confused but not upset. Ken nodded understandingly, handing me a set of keys with a sympathetic smile.
    “Unfortunately, we only need three or four lifeguards at a time because we only have one large pool and one smaller one. The new hires will rotate in gradually for lifeguarding duty, but when we’re not guarding we get stuck with maintenance work.” Ken explained, reaching out an attentive hand to make sure a row of candy boxes was perfectly in line.
    “Ah, I see. Alright, what do you need me to do first?” I asked, giving him an expectant look. Ken returned my look with surprise, chuckling slightly.
    “Seriously? I’ve already had two people quit after I told them that, and everybody else had to about it for a good twenty minutes at least.” Ken laughed, sounding relieved. I laughed as well, then shrugged, holding my hands out.
    “No point in making drama; it is what it is.” I said, allowing Ken to direct me through the snack bar door and into a locked supply closet.
    “Alright, first you can go and mop the deck above the animal enclosures. It’s right up against that large round building over there; this key will unlock the door leading to the stairs.” Ken said, pointing out a specific key on my new key ring that I promptly forgot. 
    “Oh, and you have to wear the visor.” Ken said sympathetically, waiting for me to grudgingly plop the offensive article on my head. 
    “You don’t have to.” I grumbled, prompting another bright smile.
    “I’m not expendable.” Ken teased. 
    Ken handed me a mop bucket, a mop, and a bottle of cleaning solution before clapping me on the back and hustling back to work. I followed his directions and quickly located the stairs, fiddling with my key ring and trying all the keys before finally finding the right one. I lugged the heavy mop bucket up the stairs and then came back down for the mop and cleaning solution, emptying some of the brilliant green liquid into the bucket and then leaving the bottle by the top of the stairs. 
    The mop bucket was a pathetic yellow apparatus that had one working wheel—two were stuck in place and the other squeaked like a dying rat. I wrestled it along the wide deck that jutted out above several enclosures, sending the mop dashing against the cement floor with a wet squelch and rubbing it back and forth doggedly. Strong odors rose rather unpleasantly from the seal enclosure below and I wrinkled my nose, feeling sweat begin to dampen my forehead.
    I paused to plunge the mop back in the bucket, leaning against the wooden handle while I pulled off my visor and ran my fingers through my sweat-soaked hair. I could feel my fringe sticking straight up and patted it down, curling my lip at the visor in my hand before slapping it back on.
    I continued mopping all the way along the deck until my lower back began to ache and I was used to the smells of marine life existing below me. I admit, the heat of the day and the monotony of my task made my mind begin to wander, and I was jerked out of my thoughts by the bucket knocking loudly into a door at the end of the deck. 
    I considered the door closely, my brow furrowing as I wondered what could be kept behind it. My curiosity won out over my task, the mop momentarily forgotten as I set it to the side and stretched out my hand. I reached to turn the knob and found the door locked, the handle refusing to budge. I tried it again just to be sure and froze when a loud voice cut through the hot afternoon air. 
    “You’re not authorized to open that door.” I looked up, my eyes wide in surprise, and found the source of the authoritative voice. 
    A tall young man with broad shoulders and handsome features was walking towards me, a scowl on his face. 
    “You must be new.” he said, his lip curling distastefully. I nodded, taking a moment to compose myself before smiling at him and extending my hand.
    “Yeah, I’m Wonshik Kim, the new hire.” I said. He shook my hand hesitantly, uncrossing his arms and gesturing to the door.
    “Only Hyuk and I have access inside. I’m Hongbin Lee.” Hongbin seemed a tad friendlier than when he first barked at me, but I could sense we wouldn’t be best friends anytime soon.
    “Okay, sorry. I didn’t know.” I said, my curiosity growing as I glanced again at the door. Hongbin nodded, withdrawing a ring of keys from his pocket and unlocking the door.
    He slipped inside with a small wave, closing the door firmly behind himself and leaving me to stand outside, mop clutched in my hands as I stared thoughtfully at the door. I must’ve zoned out because the next thing I knew, Ken was walking up the stairs behind me, a dirty rag tucked in the hem of his shorts and the sleeves of his t-shirt rucked up onto his sweaty shoulders. 
    “Hey, we’re not really supposed to go in there.” Ken said, pointing to the door. I smiled wryly and plunged the head of the mop into the bucket, bending down to grasp the handle and pick up the yellow container.    
    “So I’ve heard.” I said, walking towards Ken and shaking my head with a small chuckle. “So I’ve heard.”

 

    Work continued normally for a while and I got to experience new jobs and tasks every day until the door from my first day was nearly gone from my mind. I was put back on deck duty a week later and obediently retrieved the stubborn bucket and worn mop, climbing up the stairs. I took my time with the work this time, letting my mind drift as I scrubbed roughly at the cement until my forearms burned. I glanced down at the enclosures below and noticed a seal perched on a rock watching me, its soft black eyes following my movements.
    I watched it for a few moments, eyeing its beautifully dappled head and tiny ears. Its intelligent black eyes reminded me oddly of plums, large and perfectly round. 
    “Hey, pretty thing.” I couldn’t help calling to it softly, delighted when it tilted its head to the side and flopped a tail at me. 
    I was distracted when my bucket hit the door yet again, drawing my attention back towards it. I stared up at the door, hands on my hips, the desire to see what was behind it swelling into an unbearable itch. I had always been an inquisitive person, and my mom said my curiosity was both my best and my worst trait.
    “How could I get inside?” I murmured, racking my brain. I began to pace as I thought, crossing my arms over my chest and pensively grinding the tip of my shoe into the deck. 
    I could try to pick the lock. 
    No, too messy. I could…
    My eyes landed on the lock and a slow smile spread over my lips, my hands falling from across my chest to pull my keys from my pocket. I glanced down at the shiny metal pieces and grinned outright, leaving my mop to jog down the stairs towards the snack bar.
    I opened the door to the snack bar and breathed a sigh of relief when it was empty; Ken was apparently off on maintenance errands. Hongbin wasn’t scheduled for work until 1:00 and it was only 12:30; plenty of time for me.  
    The rack with everyone’s keys was nailed next to the snack bar door, everyone’s hook labeled neatly with their names. I glanced around briefly before grabbing the key ring from Hongbin’s hook and replacing his keys with my own. With any luck, he wouldn’t notice the difference before I had a chance to see what was on the other side of the door and then return his keys. 
    I slipped his keys into my pocket and then hurried back to the stairs, leaping up them two at a time. I breezed past the mop and bucket resting by the edge of the stairs and approached the large door, taking a preparatory deep breath.
    I looked around nervously before pulling Hongbin’s keys from my pocket, fumbling with them and nearly dropping them as I tried to fit each key into the lock on the door. Finally, there was a loud click and I couldn’t help but grin, reaching out to twist the knob and push the door open. It swung in with a loud squeak and shudder, and I stepped forward into a dark room. 
    I ran my hand along the rough wall and located a light switch, flicking it and waiting for the overhead lights to snap on. They finally appeared with hollow thunk and then announced their presence with an annoying whirring sound, yellowed light flooding the room.
    I saw now I was in what looked like an abandoned indoor arena, the room dominated by the massive oval-shaped tank in the center. Rows of cement bleachers surrounded the walls and were covered in dust. The double doors opposite me were sealed shut, bolted and chained; the only other door I could see was perched high above the top row of bleachers and had metal stairs leading down from it. 
    I left Hongbin’s keys by the door and left the door open as I took a hesitant step inside, the sound of sloshing water filling the air and causing echoes to bounce back at me from the cement walls. The moving water in the tank threw ripples of light up onto the ceiling and I frowned warily; I hadn’t been expecting something to still actually be in the tank.
    The other animals were all kept in outdoor enclosures where they had access to sunlight and fresh air. And trust me, the air in here wasn’t exactly what I would call fresh. The room smelled of saltwater and old fish; another sniff revealed the faint undercurrent of mold. 
    I paused just inside the door, weighing my next move. Sneaking into a locked room was one thing; sneaking into a locked room with an animal in it was something else entirely. If someone caught me it could cost me my job, and I needed the work. Curiosity killed the cat, as they say.
    I turned to go, but the thing in the tank writhed and sent a jet of water shooting up and splashing over the side. Droplets sprinkled down onto the cement and I turned back around, lifting an inquisitive eyebrow and closing the door behind me.
    Meow.
    My worn-out Converse scuffed softly over the cement as I walked towards the tank, trying to see something through the reinforced opaque fiberglass sides. The tank looked as though it was big enough to comfortably contain two or three orcas, but no telltale dorsal fin rose out of the water.
    I paused briefly to glance around and make sure no one was approaching, nearly stumbling over a small metal table. I steadied myself against the table and then looked down, finding myself face to face with rows of medical equipment. Hypodermic needles, IV bags, scalpels, and bandages, among other things I couldn’t begin to guess the purpose of. More medical equipment and tables were near the sealed metal doors opposite me, and a tall machine used to move heavy animals in and out of the water was parked next to the tank.  
    “I probably found the sick bay.” I muttered softly to myself, realizing this animal was most likely kept separate in here because it was injured or ill. That new information didn’t stop me from wanting to see the animal; it might’ve even heightened my desire. 
    “But a sick bay would have more equipment…” I muttered. “And maybe a veterinarian.” 
    The room was quiet except for the soft humming from the lights and the rhythmic splashing of the water in the tank as the animal swam back and forth. A set of metal stairs led up to a metal catwalk that ran around the perimeter of the tank, and I grasped the railing to the stairs. Carabiners were clipped all along the railing of the catwalk with myriad ropes hanging down, another carabiner looped on the opposite end of the rope.
    I brushed my hand over the line of dangling ropes, hearing the metal pieces clink together softly as I walked past. I stayed about a foot back from the tank and watched the churning water, trying to discern what kind of animal I was looking at. It was impossible to see anything except for an incredibly fast figure swimming near the bottom of the tank, about twenty feet away from me. 
    I peered down with a frown, bracing my hands on the side of the tank while I leaned to see down into the water. The water in the tank moved, obstructing my view, and I leaned down closer to the water’s surface. Sudden movement exploded from the water in front of me, a dark shape breaching out of the water to rocket towards my chest. 
    I barely registered gleaming golden eyes and sharp white teeth, black hair plastered down wetly against an oddly human skull as the thing in the tank struck me hard enough to drive the breath from my body, my ribs flaring in pain.
    Strong hands latched onto my shoulders and wrenched me over the railing, my shin hitting the side of the tank painfully as I was yanked forward. Sharp nails tore through the material of my shirt and the cold water hit my face with a slap, stunning me. I felt myself being dragged deeper into the tank and the air left my lungs in a panicked scream, silver bubbles jetting up towards the surface. 
    I thrashed blindly and forced my eyes open, looking up to see a creature hunched over me, having flipped us both so instead of dragging me it was pushing me deeper. My back was to the bottom of the tank and the creature’s hands were still on my shoulders, the surface of the water temptingly out of reach far above the creature’s head. There was less light down here and it was a struggle to see through the darkened water. I could only pray there weren’t more creatures waiting to attack. 
    My ears popped painfully and I realized my lungs were burning for air, saltwater rushing into my mouth when I opened it instinctively. I clawed blindly at the creature’s hands on my shoulders—
    Hands?!
    My eyes widened in further disbelief as I took a closer look at what held me. Strong, clawed hands, pale, lean arms, a muscled torso, a human head…attached to a lithe black tail that fanned out behind the creature.
    Merman, not creature, I realized, my head snapping back as my shoulders impacted the bottom of the tank with a dull thud. I wasn’t really in the position to marvel at the sudden discovery that mermen actually existed—I was a little preoccupied with surviving. I kicked out blindly, trying to hit the merman in the stomach, scrabbling at his fingers on my shoulders. My feet slid off his tail and struck the bottom of the tank, one of my heels stinging dully.
    I was strong, but he was stronger, his hold like iron. He snarled down at me, nose wrinkled up and golden eyes narrowed hostilely. His lips drew back from pointed white teeth and I screamed again silently, no air left in my lungs. 
    He had shaggy black hair that fanned out around his face, his supple tail flicking up under his body to thrash against my lower legs. I gathered my feet against the bottom and pushed off the solid surface, gaining a burst of speed as I struggled for the surface. The merman caught me easily and tossed me back against the bottom, looking over me with an expression that was a mix between fury and curiosity. 
    I drew my own lips back in a snarl and shoved against his chest, dragging my nails along his skin. My fingers slid into the hollows above his collarbones and I applied pressure, my fingers slipping from their hold when the merman slammed me back into the bottom. A tiny bubble escaped my lips, drifting up past my face to tangle in my eyelashes. My last bit of air. 
    I struggled against him weakly, my muscles turning to liquid as my head began to ache. Exhaustion seeped through me and I couldn’t manage to push off the bottom a second time, my eyes slipping closed. I opened them with difficulty, the salt water stinging them again, and I could see the merman flitting about a foot above me, looking down at me.
    I moved to get up but his hand shot out and pinned me to the bottom, my fingers instinctively latching onto his smooth skin to try to push him off. My palms brushed a rough patch of scales on his arm and a few flaked off into the dark water, catching the light from above and shimmering mesmerizingly. A cold band of smooth metal was locked around his wrist and I sunk my nails into the flesh on either side of the bracelet, cutting my finger on the band’s barbed underside and yanking my hand back.
    My vision was darkening at the edges and I was sure I was dying, my head pounding and my lungs aching for air. I was going to die here at the bottom of this tank, drowned and then probably eaten by this creature. My fingers on his wrist slackened and I felt the rest of my body sink against the bottom of the tank slowly, my eyes closing. 
    My lungs began to leap frantically in my chest, searching for air that I couldn’t provide and making the muscles of my abdomen contract painfully. I was seconds away from giving in and opening my mouth, letting the saltwater flood my lungs and end my fight, when a strong hand pressed against my lips.
    I opened my eyes with difficulty, finding the merman had pressed one rough palm against my mouth to keep me from breathing in the water. I allowed my eyes to close again, realizing with numb despair that he wouldn’t even allow me to choose the fastest death.
    I dimly felt something wrap around my back and then my chest was pressed firmly against something hard and warm, something slippery and soft flicking around my ankles. I could feel water rushing past my face and struggled to open my eyes again, trying to figure out what was happening. Is this what it felt like to die? It . 
    My consciousness faded abruptly, my vision tunneling out and my muscles finally falling slack. It felt good to give up, relinquish my fight and finally give in to the peaceful quiet of the water.


    There was a throbbing headache pounding into my temples, a furrow appearing between my eyebrows at the pain. My fingertips were tingling and my chest ached, my throat rough. The stale taste of salt coated my mouth and I realized distantly I was floating, water flowing softly past my head and shoulders. 
    I dimly registered a low unintelligible murmuring coming from somewhere above me, a smooth voice that tripped and slid past my ears like honey. The flowing current of the voice turned to waves, individual words forming from the mellow stream. 
    “Please, open your eyes, please. You can do it, open your eyes. Please, open your eyes.” 
    I opened my stinging eyes and looked up, finding myself staring up at a ceiling with the reflected pattern of water on it. I coughed and sat up, sinking alarmingly in the cold water, my arms flailing tiredly. Something strong and warm wrapped around my back and supported me, a second arm twining underneath my knees.
    I looked over and found myself face to face with the merman, cradled in his arms, his tail flicking softly and holding me afloat. Terror knifed through me when I met those golden eyes, only needing a moment to remember the snarl and sharp teeth of minutes ago. I gasped and then flung myself away from him, simultaneously throwing an elbow out to hit him hard in the nose as I started a sloppy sidestroke for the side of the tank.
    Panic and exhaustion made me clumsy and I couldn’t stop visualizing a clawed hand latching onto my ankle and dragging me back down into the depths, adding to my fear. My hand slapped against the fiberglass side and then slid down, my head tilting back as I looked up at the tall extension of the side. The side stretched about two feet further above my head and I knew it would be impossible for me to pull myself out.
    I tried anyway, casting a quick look around for the merman and finding him nowhere near me. I kicked as hard as I could and stretched both hands up, praying I would somehow make this work. I fell extremely short and then turned without trying again, pressing my back against the fiberglass.
    If I couldn’t exit the tank, the only option that would ensure my safety would be to kill the merman before he killed me. I looked around for him, watching for the telltale stirring of the water that would announce his presence.
    The water was dead still and I kept my breathing shallow, listening hard for the smallest splash. A dark head rose slowly on the other side of the tank and my breath hitched for a moment, the merman simply looking at me.
    He raised one pale hand and raked his wet black hair back from his face, golden eyes never leaving my face. I shivered both from cold and from the way he was staring at me, the hairs on the back of my neck rising as his eyes slowly faded from gold to black. It unnerved me how calm he seemed now, simply treading water and taking in my movements.
    It occurred to me that he might be waiting for me to get exhausted and become unable to hold myself above water, making me an easy target. I set my jaw and glared at him warningly, shivering despite myself. This time it was mostly due to cold as I realized just how frigid this water was, the tips of my fingers already beginning to turn blue.
    “I’m a lifeguard!” I called quietly across the water, making my voice as authoritative as possible. “I’m not going to get tired and drown easily!”
    The merman’s expression didn’t change and I wondered distantly if he even understood English, drawing my thighs up to curl against my stomach, trying to stay warm. My shoulders stung when the saltwater lapped over them and I looked down, seeing five holes ripped through each side of my shirt and claw marks torn into the skin of my shoulders. Small trails of blood dribbled from the jagged flesh and I could see the red mixing into the water. I hoped mermen weren’t like sharks. 
    I was interrupted in my inspection of the wounds when the merman spoke softly, unexpectedly.
    “This water is cold.” The merman remarked quietly, meeting my eyes. He crossed his arms over his chest and flicked his tail, raising himself a little higher in the water. Patches of scales just like the one on his arm flecked his chest and stomach, a deep green patch of scales marking one cheekbone. 
    “So?” I said brusquely, my eyes flitting over his form. His skin was pale, as though he didn’t often see the sun, and the dark patches of scales made him look even whiter. I could see a fine line of black hairs that tracked down from his belly button and then disappeared into the silky black of his tail, the lean ridges of his abs framing the thin line. 
    “So, you should get out.” The merman said, his voice stunning me. Incongruous with his terrifying appearance and stormy eyes, his voice was sweet and soft, almost shy. 
    I didn’t respond, unwilling to reveal my vulnerability to my attacker. Instead I took the time to gaze at the first merman I had ever seen. 
    He had a sharply pointed jaw and planed cheeks, sharp eyes and strong cheekbones. A very handsome face, especially when coupled with a generous pale pink mouth and that glossy black hair. His eyes were midnight black now that they were no longer gold and I found the black perhaps more unsettling than the shimmering gold. His face was almost feline in appearance, his pointed eyes and triangular face lending me the sensation of staring a panther in the face. There was something dangerous and unearthly about his features, and the longer I looked at him the more attractive he became. 
    “Look, I’ll help you out.” The merman said, uncrossing his arms warily and looking slightly uncomfortable with my staring.
    “Don’t come near me.” I spat, curling further in on myself. His shoulders and collarbones jutted out sharply like he wasn’t being fed enough, and I was not looking forward to being his next meal. 
    “Suit yourself, human.” The merman muttered back, sinking beneath the water’s surface. His tail slid past me as he swam deeper into the tank and I drew back immediately, beginning to grow even more tired.
    When I determined he wasn’t coming back anytime soon, I turned around and began trying to reach the side of the tank again. I stretched my arms high, cold water rushing against my sides and making me pant. My feet kicked out weakly and I gritted my teeth against the pain in my head, my back, my shoulders.
    Gentle pressure grasped both of my feet and I jerked in surprise, looking down to find my feet perched on the merman’s shoulders. His clawed hands wrapped carefully around both of my ankles, holding me steady as he used his powerful tail to propel me up high enough to reach the railing.
    I grasped the fiberglass with both hands and hauled myself over to fall onto the catwalk, shivering as I lay gasping on my back. 
    “Are you alright?” The merman called, appearing a moment later when he hooked one of his upper arms over the side and rested his chin his forearm, relaxing with his tail mostly out of the water.
    “I’m fine.” I grunted, water streaming out of my shoes to patter against the concrete below. I pushed myself to my feet and shivered, wrestling my soaking shirt off over my head and shaking the water droplets from my hair. I twisted the fabric up in my hands, sending another cascade of water down onto the floor.
    “I’m…I’m Leo.” The merman remarked quietly, making me turn my head to glance at him. His eyes were fixed on my feet and there was a faint pink tinge to his cheeks, water streaming down from his shoulder-length hair. 
    “Okay.” I said uncertainly, not fully trusting him. He nodded to himself, looking up at me hesitantly.
    “My friends call me Leo.” he repeated, absentmindedly going to rest his other hand on the side of the tank and then jerking back in pain.
    “Leo?” I asked, watching him shake his right hand and grimace. He shook his head dismissively and then looked up to catch my eyes, holding me in place with his mesmerizingly black irises. 
    “Will you…will you come back and see me again?” Leo asked softly, his eyes trapping my feet in place. I simply stared at him for a few moments before shaking my head, frowning at him angrily.
    “You tried to drown me!” I reminded him crossly, pulling off one of my shoes and upending it demonstratively onto the catwalk, water splattering down through the holes in the metal.
    “I didn’t know what you were.” Leo said, hurt and regret mingling across his face. “I thought you were one of them.”
    “One of who?” I asked, running my hands through my hair and making it stick up messily. Leo shrugged, lowering his gaze and tucking his hair behind his ear self-consciously.
    “Never mind.” Leo murmured, sinking back down into the tank. He slipped under the water soundlessly and was gone in an instant, leaving me standing there like an idiot with my dripping shirt clutched to my chest. 
    I frowned, remembering his pale skin and pronounced collarbones. He obviously wasn’t treated very well here, and there was a bone-deep loneliness in his eyes that made my heart ache. 
    Part of me wanted nothing more than to run outside and never come back into this forgotten corner of the world inhabited by a forgotten creature. 
    And yet, part of me yearned to help him. He had saved my life (after he endangered it), and he didn’t seem all that bad. Just skittish. 
    I sighed, shaking my head to clear it of thoughts, and whispered a goodbye towards the still water. I turned to climb down from the catwalk, beginning a slow walk back towards the door I came from when the door began to swing open. I gasped, not wanting to get caught, and turned to sprint up into the cement bleachers. 
    Hongbin strode through the door and then turned back round to hoist up a metal bucket from outside of the doorway. I pressed myself against the wall and ducked down behind the last row of bleachers, peering down into the tank. Hongbin stepped through the doorway and walked lazily up to the tank, the metal bucket swinging from one hand. 
    I hoped desperately that he wouldn’t notice my wet footprints leading away from the tank, but soon realized he wasn’t paying that much attention to his job. He climbed up the stairs to the catwalk and rapped the metal bucket with his knuckles, maintaining a safe distance from the side of the tank. He reached behind himself briefly to grab one of the carabiners and hook it to the back of his belt; I realized they were hanging there so Leo couldn’t pull others into the tank like he’d done to me. 
    “Here, fishy, fishy.” Hongbin called tauntingly, hoisting the bucket up onto the side of the tank. The strong smell of rotting fish made me gag and I struggled to stay silent, watching Hongbin step down briefly to retrieve a catch pole from against one wall. 
    The water stirred as Leo passed close to the surface, a dark shape against the light water of the tank. I could see a dark fin that ran from the nape of Leo’s neck down his spine, the sharp spikes that gave it shape rising periodically from the black silky membrane. Water caught at the fin and made it sway back and forth, revealing that it stretched all the way down Leo’s tail. 
    Hongbin skillfully trailed the catch pole’s lead through the water and caught it around Leo’s chest, yanking the leash tight and hoisting Leo’s torso partially out of the water to keep the merman from sinking down out of reach. 
    Leo coughed and thrashed, his tail slapping the surface and sending a fan of water out of the tank. Hongbin lurched forward but quickly regained his footing, giving the pole a harsh tug when Leo raised his head and hissed with golden eyes at the marine worker.
    “Knock it off.” Hongbin snapped, releasing the catch pole and upending the bucket of rotting fish into the water. Black blood and chunks of flesh spread in a cloud, a few fish heads already beginning to sink.
    Leo hissed and dove under the water, his tail slapping the surface again and causing a wave of water to drench Hongbin. He swore, setting down the catch pole and unclipping himself to storm back out of the room, the empty bucket’s handle squeaking loudly as it bumped against one of his knees. 
    The door slammed behind him and I exhaled deeply, unaware I had even been holding my breath. I waited a few minutes to be sure Hongbin wasn’t coming back before standing hesitantly, eyeing the black smudge on the surface of the water. 
    Leo surfaced suddenly, floating on his back and peering down at his skin. He ran gentle fingertips over his chest, looking at the red line the lead had cut into his flesh. I set my mouth and walked down from the bleachers, climbing the metal stairs yet again and crossing my arms.
    “Leo?” I said quietly, letting him know I was there. Leo looked up, rolling through the water so he was upright, looking up at me warily.
    “Yes?” Leo asked, distastefully eyeing the rotting fish heads that were in various stages of submersion. 
    “One of them?” I repeated thoughtfully, thinking of Hongbin’s mocking words and harsh actions. Leo nodded, looking at me evenly. I nodded and muttered to myself, my mind already made up. 
    “I’ll come back and see you again.” 


    I waited until closing time before I slipped inside of the snack bar, grabbing Hongbin’s key ring and quietly wrestling one of the keys off of it. I tucked the key that opened the door to Leo’s room into my pocket and walked over to the machine in the corner to clock out, my mind still spinning with the events of the day. 
    “Wonshik? Hey, dude, hello?” Ken’s voice broke through my thoughts and I realized I had zoned out, my time card clutched in my hands and my eyes fixed on the wall of candy in front of me.
    “What?” I said blankly, coming back into myself. Ken laughed slightly and reached past me to punch his own time card, his cologne sliding over my senses.
    “I said, have a nice night. You okay?” Ken asked, looking slightly worried. “You need to talk about something?”
    “No, I’m fine. Thank you,” I said, managing a small smile and retrieving my bag from my designated corner.
    “Alright. I’m here if you need me.” Ken said, clapping me on the back and walking out of the snack bar.
    I followed him out into the evening, taking in a deep breath of calming air and reaching down to feel the key in my pocket. It would only take a few hours to have the key copied at a shop near my house, giving me plenty of time to drop it by and then visit the market.
    I had some fish to buy.

 

    I blinked awake and then rolled over to slam my hand down on my alarm clock, forcing my body to continue its upward momentum until I was standing. I blearily scrubbed at my eyes and then shuffled into the shower, barely remembering to shuck off my sweatpants before stepping under the still-cold spray.
    Goosebumps flared along my shoulders and my face prickled, the cold jolting me closer towards consciousness. The water warmed gradually and my mind slowly came awake with it, my thoughts almost clear as I turned to tip my head up towards the water and rub my palms together underneath it.  
    I washed myself quickly before stepping out into the steamy bathroom, water droplets dribbling down my ankles to soak into the bathmat. Cold air hit my bare torso and I toweled off quickly, wrapping the towel around my waist and walking back to my bedroom.
    I dressed warmly in sweats and a tank top, throwing a sweatshirt over my tank top and running my hands through my damp hair. I walked to the kitchen, pulling out the fresh fish I had bought the day before and beginning to load all of it carefully into an ice chest. The pleasant clatter of ice cubes falling into the chest filled the kitchen and I filled a thermos with tea, trying to wake my mind up completely. 
    I finished packing the ice chest and grabbed the key I had copied yesterday, adding it to my key ring and clipping the ring to my belt. I hoisted up the ice chest and walked outside, flicking off the lights as I stepped out onto the porch. 
    It was still dark and cold outside, the sun not scheduled to appear for another hour at least, and I piled everything into my car. It was a lonely drive to the marine park, the streets empty and quiet, and I pulled into the darkened parking lot slowly. 
    I was glad I had a key and wouldn’t have to jump the fence, unlocking one of the smaller gates and slipping inside quietly. I had my ID card with me in case the security guard saw me, but I wanted to avoid the chance of being recognized. I paused to return Hongbin’s key to his ring and then hurried up the stairs towards Leo’s enclosure. 
    I tried my key in the door and sighed in relief when it worked, poking my head into the room and finding it dark. There were no signs of anyone else inside the room and I took a hesitant step forward, closing the door behind me. I flicked on the overhead lights, lugging my ice chest after me as I stepped further into the room.
    “Leo?” I called, getting no response. There wasn’t even splashing coming from the tank and I wondered for a brief, terrifying moment if Leo was just a figment of my imagination. Perhaps homesickness had driven me to make up an imaginary friend who just happened to have a tail. 
    I walked up the stairs to the catwalk and carefully leaned over the side of the tank, setting the ice chest down next to my foot. 
    Leo was asleep, floating on his back in the middle of the tank. I was about to call out a second time when I was distracted by a long uneven scar that marred the pale flesh of his torso, my eyes held and my mouth stilled.
    The jagged scar was shaped roughly like a crescent and started at Leo’s right shoulder, crossing along the front of the joint to curve over his right pectoral and continue its path down. The apex of the curving scar rested a few inches above his navel on the left side of his body, arcing back down towards the right side of Leo’s tail. It ended where Leo’s upper thigh would’ve been, turning the black scales of his tail to white where it cut through. The scar was a deep maroon color against the white skin of his torso and I tried to figure out what would leave an injury so massive and deep. It almost looked like a shark bite when I put together the irregular crescent shape and then the ragged smaller scars that fanned out from the crescent shape—the smaller scars almost looked like they were created by rending teeth pulling back from his body and tearing at the initial bite site.
    The conclusion that the scar was from a shark bite sent chills down my spine; what kind of shark would be that massive, and how could Leo survive an injury that horrific? I realized distantly that my mouth had dropped open sometime during my marveling, and I wondered distantly how I could’ve failed to notice the scar before between its sheer size, raised appearance, and distinct color changes. 
    “Leo?” I whispered, setting the ice chest down next to my foot and leaning against the rim of the tank. “Leo?”
    Leo’s eyes slid open and he jerked in surprise when he saw me standing there, vanishing down into the water in the blink of an eye. I blinked in surprise and waited for him to surface, watching his dark head slowly break the blue water.
    His dark eyes watched me for several seconds, distrust mixing with hope as he stared. I cleared my throat awkwardly and then bent, opening the ice chest and pulling out a slippery length of fresh fish. Leo perked up immediately, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and yawning.
    “I’m sorry, you startled me.” Leo said quietly. I nodded, leaning down cautiously to offer the fish to him.
    Leo reached up slowly and took the fish, his cool fingers brushing mine for the briefest moment. I could see another maroon scar along his back, exposed by his raised arm, and swallowed hard.    
    “Did that…did that hurt?” I asked, pointing hesitantly to the scar on his torso. Leo glanced down, nodding, and ran his fingers softly over the raised skin.
    “It was worth it.” Leo responded calmly, raising the fish to me in a parody of a toast. “Thank you.”
    “Yeah, no—no problem.” I managed. It was possible I was a little unnerved by him still, but I still groaned internally when I heard myself turning into a bumbling idiot.
    Leo chewed quickly, finishing the fish in seconds, and I dug another out of the ice chest. Leo took it without hesitation and crammed it into his mouth, relief flooding his face as he swallowed thickly. Leo noticed me looking and I offered another fish, letting him take it carefully.
    “What’s your name?” Leo asked quietly, shyness playing about his eyes. He didn’t use dramatic facial expressions that often, relying instead on subtle changes around his mouth and his expressive eyes. 
    “Wonshik.” I said, watching him nod and chew slowly. Leo finished the fish in record time and I resolved to bring more next time, taking a gulp from my thermos and looking down at him.
    “Thank you, Wonshik.” Leo said, testing my name out. I smiled at him, my cheeks warming, and put the lid back onto my ice chest.
    “Do you need me to bring you anything else tomorrow?” I asked, picking up the ice chest to move it out of the way. Leo shook his head and I opened my mouth to say something else when the doors began to creak open.
    “Hide!” Leo hissed at me, seizing the ice chest and diving down deep inside the tank with it. He hid it on the bottom and then surfaced, drawing Hongbin’s attention with loud splashes as soon as the tall man came into view.
    I took advantage of the distraction, running along the opposite side of the tank and up into the bleachers. I ducked down behind the cement and watched Hongbin climb the catwalk stairs and pick up the same catch pole.
    Hongbin hoisted Leo up out of the water just like last time and dumped another putrid bucket into the water, releasing the pole and walking back out of the room. I waited a few minutes just like last time and then rushed down, watching Leo inspect the tiny beads of blood that welled up from the scratches left by the pole’s lead. 
    “Are you alright?” I asked, my eyes wide. Leo nodded, shrugging me off and diving back down to pull my ice chest up from the bottom of the tank.
    “Here.” Leo said, dumping the water from the container and handing it to me carefully. “Thank you for bringing me food.”
    “Thank you for saving my .” I said, taking another opportunity to stare at Leo’s massive scar. Leo shrugged, a faint blush heating his cheeks.
    “You have a cute. Uh, cute , I mean. I just…bye.” Leo blurted out the words, his cheeks flaming, and then plunged back down into the water. 
    I stood still, stunned to my core, and barely saved myself from dropping the ice chest on my foot. He had tried so hard to be smooth and had ended up just being adorably awkward. I had to give him credit though; I would never have been able to even attempt that line with a stranger. 
    I grinned slowly, peering down to see him sitting on the bottom of the tank, probably mentally scolding himself. I chuckled, hoisting the ice chest up higher in my arms and turning to go to work, my smile still firmly in place at the adorably botched compliment. 
    I would definitely be back tomorrow. 

 

    I walked through the early morning air, lugging my familiar ice chest and catching it occasionally on my own heels. I fumbled for my cold keys and unlocked the door, fighting back a yawn. I pushed my way into Leo’s room, still cautiously checking for other people but relaxing as soon as I knew the room was empty. I was becoming more confident with being in here, and I was becoming more confident around Leo. 
    “Hello?” I called softly. There was no response and I slowly climbed the steps to the catwalk, peering down into the water.
    Leo was floating on his back on the surface, one hand stretched out to anchor him against the fiberglass side and his eyes closed. He was sleeping peacefully, chest rising and falling rhythmically in the water and his hair fanning out around his face. 
    I couldn’t help the slight smile that curled my lips, setting the ice chest down and pulling my thermos of iced sweet tea from inside. The sugar and caffeine gave me just the right amount of kick to wake me up without making me shaky like coffee did, and I took a restorative swallow.
    I exhaled quietly and leaned my forearms against the side of the tank, watching Leo. A peculiar feeling fluttered around in my chest and I grimaced slightly, shaking my head.
    This was perhaps the most inconvenient time to get a crush, and I was adamant on squashing those tiny flutterings before they blossomed into feelings. Leo was a mythical creature who I just happened to be feeding so he wouldn’t starve to death.
    But he had such perfect hands. What an odd thing to admire about someone, but it was true. Fine-boned and delicate, but still crossed with strong veins. Almost as perfect as the milky swell of his shoulders, the pale pink hue of his bow-shaped mouth, his fluttering eyelids. His open eyes.
    “How long have you been staring at me?” Leo asked, his soft voice roughened with sleep. I mentally groaned—he didn’t have to make not liking him so damn difficult—and managed a flustered, “Oh god. Uh, not long at all. Like two seconds.” 
    “Pretty long two seconds.” Leo remarked dryly, his eyes sliding back closed. He was quiet for several moments—just long enough for me to mentally curse myself out—before his eyes flashed open again and he sat up abruptly in the water.
    “You!” Leo said loudly, looking surprised. He had been too sleepy before to recognize me but now he looked wide awake, hope flashing through his bright eyes.
    “Me!” I echoed his tone teasingly, unable to help my smirk at his slight pout. Leo rolled his eyes and swam closer to the side, tilting his head to the side as he considered me. 
    “Did you bring food?” Leo asked shyly, his eyes sparkling impishly. I smirked, opening the ice chest and tossing him a fish.
    “What am I, your sugar daddy?” I teased, watching him devour the first and throwing him another. 
    “My what?” Leo asked, his mouth full. I rolled my eyes and jumped when my phone began ringing, hastily wiping my palm against my pants and pulling the device out. 
    “Hello?” I hissed, realizing in my panic I had put the call on speaker when a loud voice filled the air.
    “Hey, lil Ravi!” 
    “Not now, Alika. I’ll call you later,” I said, ending the call and slipping the phone into my pocket. Leo was watching me closely, crossing his arms slowly.
    “I thought you said your name was Wonshik.” Leo said suspiciously. I laughed, shaking my head and offering him another fish. Leo didn’t take the food, remaining in his challenging position.
    “My name is Wonshik, but some of my friends call me Ravi. It’s a nickname.” I said, watching trust begin to filter through Leo’s features.
    “But Ravi isn’t anywhere close to Wonshik.” Leo said, still unwilling to trust me completely even though his arms begin to loosen from across his chest. 
    “It’s kind of an embarrassing story.” I said. Leo raised an eyebrow but accepted the fish I offered, sinking back down to fix me with encouraging eyes. I sighed.
    “Go on,” Leo said.
    “Well, my friends are more like uncles; they’re a lot older than me, so they like to tease me a lot.” I started, watching Leo take a small bite and look up at me attentively. “Basically, one had a dog that ran away, so they nicknamed me after the dog.”
    Leo laughed and the sound sent shivers down my spine at the pleasantness of it, rich and mellifluous when he threw his head back and bared his teeth in a wide smile. He had the kind of laugh that made me want to laugh, so I did, also throwing my head back. 
    Our laughter eventually died down and Leo finished eating, relaxing back into the water and letting his fingertips trail through the velvety blue next to him. The silence was comfortable and I glanced around, free to be with my thoughts.
    Ever since I knew Leo was here, I wondered how he got here, and I cleared my throat softly.
    “Hey, can I ask you something?” I asked, watching Leo raise an eyebrow.
    “You just did.” Leo pointed out, giving me a superior smirk. Smartass. I couldn’t help a smile, and rolled my eyes.
    “Okay, something else.” I amended, and Leo nodded. I hesitated, worrying at my bottom lip before opening my mouth again.
    “How did you end up in here?” I asked, my ambivalent thoughts driving me crazy as I tried to decide between satisfying my curiosity and avoiding the possibility of upsetting him. 
    Leo was quiet for many minutes and I thought he wasn’t going to speak at all, grimacing slightly and shaking my head.
    “Hey, I’m sorry. Forget about it,” I said, cursing my infernal curiosity and taking another gulp of tea.
    “No, it’s okay. I’ll…I’ll tell you.” Leo said, a hint of uncertainty curling at the tail end of his words as he crossed his arms firmly. 
    “You don’t have to—” I started, cut off when Leo shook his head and his mouth gained a decisive edge.
    “I want you to know. I’m just not used to talking to humans.” Leo said, waving me off. He cleared his throat and relaxed his arms, leaning back so he could float and look up at me while he talked. 
    “It was my job to patrol the bay. My people—we work to keep the balance and protect all creatures.” Leo said, waiting for me to nod before continuing. “I was on a job when I was hurt. I thought I was going to die, and I got clumsy. We’re not supposed to let humans see us, let along talk to them. But I had to…I had to warn them.” Leo said, looking up at me seriously.
    “Warn who?” I asked, confused. He was telling his story in bits and pieces and it was hard to pick his words apart and find the meaning. 
    “The humans. I left a message in the sand of a beach. I was just going to write it and then swim away where I wouldn’t be caught, but I was too weak. I passed out and washed ashore just down the beach, and that’s where I was found.” Leo said, his dark eyes unreadable for the first time.
    “What did the message say?” I asked, but my question was ignored when Leo plowed on with his story.
    “I woke up here, barely alive and confined to a tank. My first doctor was horrible, ran all kinds of tests on me. But I…I put him out of work one day, and then Dr. Cha was assigned to me.” Leo said, his eyes darkening at his memories of the first doctor. 
    “Does Dr. Cha run tests on you?” I asked, worried that he was being mistreated and feeling a familiar rush of protectiveness. 
    “No.” Leo said firmly. “Well, the basics. He measures my growth and vitals, makes sure I’m healthy.”
    “But…” I said hesitantly, suddenly shy. “Leo, you’re not healthy.”
    “What?” Leo asked, looking surprised. I frowned, running my hands anxiously through my hair and wondering if I was overstepping my bounds.
    “You’re starving. You’re abused, physically and psychologically, and you’re not allowed to go outside. When was the last time you saw the world outside of this building?” I asked, my voice becoming firmer as I talked, gaining confidence.
    Leo looked stricken, mumbling something under his breath, his eyes fixed on the water in front of him.
    “What?” I asked. Leo looked up briefly and mumbled slightly louder, crossing his arms defensively.
    “Dr. Cha let me look out the window a few months ago.” Leo said, shrugging. I sighed and Leo looked up at me with narrowed eyes, a challenge in his expression. “Leave Dr. Cha out of this.”
    “But—” I started, surprised at his sudden protectiveness and slightly jealous of it.
    “Dr. Cha is the only human who’s ever shown me kindness, so leave him out of this.” Leo said angrily, his tone the loudest I’d ever heard it.
    “I thought I showed you kindness.” I said, looking down towards the empty ice chest. Leo sighed and uncrossed his arms, the anger fading from his face, and I sighed too.
    “The only human before you,” Leo amended. I nodded, shrugging.
    “I don’t want to fight with you. I’m sorry I upset you, I just want you to be treated well.” I said and Leo nodded.
    “I’m sorry, too.” Leo said honestly, his voice back to its familiar soft pitch. We were both quiet for several minutes and I checked my watch, swearing in surprise at the time.
    “I’ve gotta go, the park opens soon.” I said, putting the lid back on the ice chest and making sure I had all my belongings.
    “When will you come back?” Leo asked, trailing his hands through the water. A delicate webbing stretched between the first knuckles on his hands, the thin membrane shimmering up at me as it caught the light and reflected rainbows like oil. 
    “Tomorrow morning.” I said, watching his eyes light up. “I’m going to feed you every morning, see if I can help you gain some weight.”
    Leo looked down at his thin wrists and the lean muscles of his arms, looking up at me with a grateful nod.
    “Thank you,” Leo whispered. I smiled at him and waved goodbye, turning to walk down the catwalk before a sudden thought made me pause. 
    “Leo, if you’re not supposed to talk to humans why did you talk to me?” I asked, turning back to look at him and walk back to the side of the tank. Leo shrugged and met my eyes evenly, tilting his head pensively to the side.
    “Because you’re different.” Leo said. “I don’t know, there’s something about you that reminds me so much of my own people.”
    “Ooh, was it my tail?” I joked, earning a rare smile from him. “Or the way my eyes change color when I get mad?”
    “Hey, that’s an evolutionary trait,” Leo said defensively, the smile still shaping his mouth and his voice light with teasing. “Good bye, Ravi.”
    Leo’s mouth quirked into a devilish smirk at his adoption of the nickname and I chuckled, raising my hand in farewell.
    “See you later, Leo.” 


A/N :
Hopefully everyone enjoyed the first chapter!
Please stay tuned, I’m hoping you’ll enjoy the next installment just as much~
Leave me some comments, let me know what you think and what parts you like or dislike -- special thanks to my three lovely upvoters zelovesick, kpopfan_starlight,  and Taektookme
Thank you so much lovelies <3
Love you all ^_^
—Sujinnie 

(The color of Leo's scar is the same color as the scar Ok Taecyeon has on his left bicep)