Longing

Longing

 

 

 

Author pov

It is a dull morning for Byun Aeri. Although the sun is shining brightly, the blue sky painted beautifully with white fluffly clouds, the beauty of nature can not shine her heart. It is a normal day for everybody so do her's. While they are preparing for work so do her. Eating breakfast so do her.  Exercise so do her. Everyone is doing their normal day routine as she is. 

The different is her work is to eat her medicine every morning. Her breakfast is a plain water as she doesn't have the energy to make one. Going to the bathroom to take a bath is her exercise as it is too far for her, that it make her sweat like she's been running for hours though it is just a few meters  from her bed. Her routine is sittng in her room waiting for the one to comeback. But sometimes, waiting for him feel like she is waiting for her death. She feel aimless as days past by. Every hours is killing her. She miss him. He is here but only in her heart. Not in her house nor the same country. 

Though she is tired of waiting but her love for him is too strong for her to forget though it have been almost three years since she last saw him and eleven months since she had her last conversation with him. No matter what happens, she still here in the same house everyday waiting and waiting for her love of life.

 

 

There she is again, sitting on her queen size bed, staring at a picture in a frame of her and her love smiling- on a small table near her bed. Though the table bring her smiles everyday, it also bring her sadness as the table is where she place all her medicines. The table was bought by her brother, Byun Baekhyun when she told him about her sickness. He know that she can't move a lot as her energy keep draining out of her body. He wanted to hired a maid to clean her house everyday but she refused saying that she can do things by herself; being a stubborn girl she is. When she broke in tears as he again talk about hiring a maid for her to help her , he stopped.He doesn't want to hurt his beloved sister by making her thinking that she is a burden and that's the reason why he want to hire a maid but that is not the reason at all.  He know that he won't always be by her side because he's work place is nowhere near her pace. He scared that she will get worser day by day. 

Few months ago he was immigrate to Japan because he got promoted to a higher position. He refused to accept it but Aeri forced him to accept it because she know how he want to gain experience and open his own business company. The day she send him  to the airport was the last time he met her. That day she look so thin and fragile. He's afraid that she will look worser than that day but all he can do is pray that she is doing fine and is getting better.

 

BYUN AERI pov 

I was sitting on the chair near my opened windows to take a fresh air because today the room feel suffocating.  Then a rang of bell wake me from my dream. I almost forgot that I have an appointment with Dr. Park. I check my outfit hoping that it at least look decent to meet a doctor. I grab my handbag that contains my phone and my purse before wrapping my body with a white cardigan to match my plain white blouse.

It took  me five minutes to reach the door before opening it and are greeted by a handsomely tall man, smiling at my appearance.  "Sorry that I keep you waiting, Chan. " I bow my head. He reply with his gummy smile saying that it is fine. 

 

Author pov

 

It's kind of weird seeing a doctor fetching his patient but he is actually her private doctor that was hired by her brother to make things easier for her. "Shall we go?" Ask Chanyeol and he receive a faint sure by a girl before him. 

Chanyeol wait patiently as she lock her door. In the car, he tried to make some conversations but all he get is a short 'yes' , 'no' and nods but he is used to it because Baekhyun had warn him about how shy and anxious Aeri is with stranger. It took him three months before she finally stop fidgeting in her seat and answering questions herself instead Baekhyun doing it for her. By the time they arrived at the hospital, it is already two in the evening. 

Chanyeol park his car on his reserved lot. He walk to the hospital with Aeri following closely behind him. He nods to all the greets he received from the nurses and few patients that regonise him. People can be judge metals about a doctor who come to work late but they can't say a word since he's the heirs of this modern big hospital. He work as a private doctor mostly as his dad request but also helps the hospital if in need. He lead Aeri to his private room and call for help from a nurse that he had scheduled helping him. 

He ask Aeri to change into the patient's blouse as he prepare the equipments.  While waiting for her, Chanyeol read her last checkup. The result is not showing any improvement. She was on the third stage last month, he's afraid that it is worsen. You might think why would a cancer patient visits a doctor once a month. It is actually because Aeri refused to visit any doctor once in two weeks after Baekhyun immigrated. He pleaded  Chanyeol to not notice her brother but promise to take her medicines. He tried to presuade her but every time he did it turned into a failure. He gave up after more than thrice trying.

Aeri come in to the room followed by nurse Haneul who's carrying her cloths. When Aeri lay on the patient bed, he start to examine her body. Her weight . Her lungs. Etc. After almost an hour of examines and waiting for her result, they finally sitting in a casual cloths. Chanyeol take more time than he usually does when he checked her results. 

"Aeri.." Chanyeol started. " I don't know how to make this easier." Chanyeol sigh.

"It's okay, Chan. Just tell me." Aeri reassure him. She may look calm but her heart is beating like crazy that it might be tearing apart if any more shocking news will give it.

" The  Brachytherapy can't help to cure you anymore. I know that you really hate to be under a knife but I think we have to do it again.You are on the fourth stage of cancer." Chanyeol keep his head down. He feel so sorry for Aeri. He know how much she despise to be in any surgery room but the result is showing that she is on the last stage of cancer. He don't want to make his friend lost his sister. 

"What...?" Aeri voice is cracking. " But ... I thought you said that I can get better.." Her eyes is shiny from tears.

" I know.. I'm sorry but the drugs were far too weak to fight against your cancer. " Chanyeol explain. " I'm sorry. I should have encou-" his word were stopped by Aeri. " It's okay Chan. It's my fault not yours. You should not apologise to me. You had done your best. I should know that cancer cannot be gone just by taking drugs and do a brachytherapy once a month. It's my fault. I thought that if you ignore the pain you can make yourself better. I really thought that brainwashing myself and be optimistic will help me cure myself but guess I am wrong. You work really hard Chan." Aeri smile at Chanyeol for the first time after more than a year knowing each other. "I appreciate it. Now you don't have to worry about me anymore. I know it is incurable-" Chanyeol cut in with a frown on his forehead and a panic expression. "No! We can still heal it! We just need to do a few surgery to remove the cancer and a few chemo- Please Aeri." Chanyeol plead when Aeri stand up, shaking her head slightly. " I don't want to disappoint your brother. I don't even want you to die infront of me. In my hand . In my care. Please... We can still get you cured..." 

"Don't worry Chan," Aeri comfort him with the same smile on her face " I'm not dying in your hands. I'm not your patient anymore. Alright? I don't want to suffer anymore. I want to spend my remaining time doing things that I like. That I love. If I decide to continue all the sessions then I'll be wasting my time in the hospital. It's not even confirmed that I can be a cancer survivor. No matter how many sessions of chemotherapy or brachytherapy or surgery that I take can confirmed that I am still breathing the next day. Please Chan. I beg you. I hope you can still supplie me the painkiller and drugs to kill this living thing in my body." Aeri crack a laugh. " Please Chan. I beg you. Just this time please. Let me skip all the therapies. I want to feel free. I will take the medicines. I promise but please don't notice this to Baekhyun." 

"Aeri .. That's too-" Chanyeol eyes widen. "Please Chan. My very last wish to you. I promise that I'll tell him one day. Please Chan please." Aeri bow her head. " Okay. But I will do some simple checkup on you every two weeks. No objection, please. It will a very simple checkup just to let me know how strong your medicines need to be." Chanyeol cross his arms. Standing making the 'take-it-or-leave-it" eyes. After a few minutes Aeri finally agree. 

"Now lets take your med and I'll send you home" Chanyeol walk to grab his coat. " No! Can I walk home by myself? I need some fresh air. The medicines can you just post it to my house. Bye Chan . Thanks for today. I appreciate it!" Aeri waves and walk as fast she to get out of the building. She walk is not as fast as it sounds like. Taking a small step is already a challenge for her. Taking a big and fast step make she feels like she already lost all the oxygen in her lungs but she want to be alone right now. She want to clear her mind. That's all she want.

Chanyeol look at Aeri back, walking out of the door. His eyes following her , his mouth is open to call her but there's no voice to call her. He lost his energy and he know that Aeri is shock with the news. He know that telling Aeri that she is on her fourth stage of cancer is like telling her that she is waiting for her death. "Am I making a right decision?" Chanyeol slumped on his chairs. His mind is in a mess to even run to Aeri or stop her.

Baek, should I really not tell you? Chanyeol thought. "Arhh!" Chanyeol ruffles his hair harshly and bury his face in his folded arms. His mind is in a mess that he think that it will in a second. "I'm sorry Baek..." Chanyeol whisper.

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________

 

First update.

Thanks a lot for reading.

Please subscribe, upvote and support my story.

See you soon.