Sunsets and Cloudy Skies

This Emptiness

Jonghwa stood in the front with Jaeyoung’s family.  Her parents hands were intertwined, her mother’s face buried in her father’s chest.  Jonghwa’s head was hanging, his bangs falling in front of his eyes to hide the redness.  His own hands were clasped firmly together, so tightly his knuckles were turning white.  The coffin was lowered into the ground and slowly covered up, the dark mahogany wood disappearing.  Distant relatives and friends came up to her parents and younger brother, Jaeho, offering their condolences.  Some of them came up to Jonghwa, but he refused to speak.  Slowly, the crowd thinned and left only her immediate family, Jonghwa, and a few of his friends.  He didn’t move from in front of the newly turned plot of soil.  His eyes burning holes into the grave stone.  Jaeyoung’s parents approached Jonghwa and Mr. Song placing a hand on his shoulder.  They felt his pain just the same and didn’t try to talk.  There was an understanding silence between them in the moments before they walked back to their car and drove off.  Jaeho, Juhyeon, and Sangbae were the last ones left, aside from Jonghwa.  

“Is he going to be okay?”  Jaeho asked Juhyeon and Sangbae.  

“Yeah, it’ll take a while though…”  Sangbae drifted off as he replied, his eyes panning to where Jonghwa stood.  

“We should just leave him alone for now.”  Juhyeong said, pulling Jaeho towards their car.  “You coming hyung?”  He turned to ask Sangbae as he and Jaeho walked away.

“No, I’m gonna stay here for a little.”  Sangbae didn’t turn to look at Juhyeon as he replied to the younger.  He walked up to Jonghwa and laid down on the grass, looking up at the graying clouds.  

“You should go home.”  Jonghwa finally spoke up, his voice hoarse.  

“So should you.”  Sangbae countered.  Jonghwa let out a choked sigh and fell to his knees.  Sangbae immediately sat up and moved closer to his friend.  He rubbed circles on Jonghwa’s back as he cried.

This was a mistake.  It was a mistake to bury her here.  It’s too much.  Jonghwa thought.  

“You can see the ocean from here.”  Sangbae said, hoping to distract Jonghwa just a little bit.

“That’s why I picked this place, back then.”  Jonghwa managed to get out.  His voice shook and there was a pressure in his throat and an even greater pressure in his chest.

“Oh…”  Sangbae fell silent, realizing he wasn’t helping.  

“Please, just go home.  I don’t need a babysitter.”  With a sigh, Sangbae got up.  He kept looking back at Jonghwa as he walked to his car at the end of the hill.  Jonghwa sat back so he was fully sitting in the grass and buried his face in his hands.  

 

~~~~~Flashback~~~~~

 

“Oppa!”  Jaeyoung shouted as two hands came from behind her and covered her eyes.  She felt his chest vibrate as he laughed, moving his arms so that they circled her shoulders. She brought her hands up to hold onto his forearms as she leaned back into his broad chest.  

“Hi.”  Jonghwa said into her ear.  She laughed before turning around and properly hugging him, burying her face in his chest.  He smelled like coconut body wash.  “Ready to go?”  He asked, pulling away to look at Jaeyoung.

“Yep.”  She smiled up at him, her eyes twinkling and her smile brighter than the stars.

He drove out of Seoul, confusing Jaeyoung.  She didn’t question it though, she trusted Jonghwa and instead just leaned back in the passenger seat and looked out the window at the scenery.  They arrived just out of Incheon at a large hilly field.  

“What is this?”  She asked as they got out of the car.

“A surprise.”  Jonghwa flashed a mischievous smile and took her hand, leading her up one of the hills.  Once they reached the top they sat down under the most shaded area, treetops covering the couple.  As they sat down, Jonghwa pointed out towards the distance and watched Jaeyoung as her eyes followed his finger.  She could see the ocean and the lights of Incheon airport as planes flew in and out.   fell open as the sun started setting and the sky turned different shades of red, orange, and a little purple.  She rested her head on Jonghwa’s shoulder and continued staring at the beautiful scene in front of her.  Jonghwa continued staring at the head of brown hair currently propped up on his shoulder.  He settled his head on top of Jaeyoung’s and looked out at the sky with her.  

“This is the most beautiful view I think I’ve ever seen.”  Jaeyoung finally said.

“I’m glad you like it.”  He smiled to himself, glad he made Jaeyoung so happy.  She lifted her head off of his shoulder and brought her hand up to the back of his neck, pulling his head down to kiss him.

 

~~~~~End~~~~~

Jonghwa looked up at the sky and saw nothing but gray clouds and dark skies.  A final tear rolled down his cheek before he stood up and wiped his eyes with the back of his hand.