final

Head Over Heels

The door of the printing room bursts open with a bang as Jimin comes flying in, wheezing so hard it was agonizing to watch. The printing lady glances up from her desk, looking sternly over her wire-rimmed spectacles, before going back to what she was doing. Jimin’s hair is in a mess and sticking up in all directions, from running at least a hundred metres from the other end of school in under a minute. Taehyung’s worksheet is clasped so tightly in his hand it’s almost crushed. But Jimin has no time to feel sorry. He only has five minutes before the next class starts.

Their teacher, Mrs Kim had specifically reminded them that they absolutely had to bring this worksheet today, looking straight at Jimin for extra emphasis. Right now, Jimin just knows he’s her least favourite student. His record of always forgetting to bring or do her assignments explains it. This time, Jimin really wants to get rid of the label over his head and show that he’s actually an extremely hardworking, reliable and exemplary student.

Yet, unsurprisingly, he forgets to bring it, despite writing it down on his palm. Who knew ink could be washed away so easily? His only hope was to photocopy Taehyung’s worksheet and run back before Mrs Kim even enters the class.

He hastily crams the papers into place and presses the start button, biting his lips in anxiety. His heart is beating furiously in his chest from the most exercise he’s done all month and he can feel the sweat starting to roll out on his face.

Looking up briefly, he is met with a sight that made his jaw drop.

Min Yoongi.

He feels a blush creep up his cheeks. Min Yoongi, his senior in high school and long-time crush, was leaning casually against the wall at the other side of the room, engrossed in his phone. Jimin swallows hardly as he lets his eyes linger a little longer. Man, was he hot. As usual, he had put on his earphones, nodding to a beat, looking totally at home in the printing room. Jimin has a strange urge to go over and put one earbud in his own ear to see what kind of music Yoongi likes. Like the rebel he is, Yoongi had ed a couple of buttons of his shirt, his tie was loosened considerably and a dark blue beanie was pulled over his head. Jimin’s pretty sure this attire’s against school regulations. But who cares about rules when you can look this hot.

It’s only when Jimin snaps out of his Yoongi-checking-out-session does he realise that Yoongi’s looking right back at him. He gulps visibly and swiftly looks away at the ceiling, fingers tapping mindlessly on the printer. Smooth Jimin.

The printer makes an odd whirring sound and the whole thing starts vibrating unnaturally under his palm. The third piece of paper that was halfway out has stopped moving completely. Jimin’s eyes widened in shock as the whirring buzz turned into an insistent beeping.

Oh, no, no. Please don’t break down now, Jimin prays fervently under his breath as he hesitantly taps the printer as if it was about to crumble into a million tiny pieces. The light from the printer blinks several times, then fades off. Jimin’s arms are stretched out, hands hovering uncertainly over the machine. He thinks he just broke a printer.

Jimin looks around wildly. The whole incident apparently went unnoticed by the printing lady. Jimin’s sigh of relief was short lived when he realises there’s only one printer in the whole room. His eyes meet Yoongi’s once again and he pouts unconsciously, gazing pleadingly at him.

Yoongi only shrugs. Well that was helpful, Jimin frowns and looks back down at the cause of his sufferings. How does one even break a printer? Maybe he could ask the printing lady for help?

One look at the clock and the idea is thrown out of his mind. He had less than a minute. Looking from the printer to the printing lady, then back to the printer, Jimin grits his teeth in determination. On top of the scolding he was going to get later on, he definitely didn’t want to fork out his hard earned money to buy another printer.

Without looking back, Jimin grabbed Taehyung’s paper and dashed out of the room.  He hears a soft chuckle coming from the room as he exits the room.

 

----------

 

Jimin comes out of the class, looking completely drained after a long berating.

“So,” Taehyung says as he wraps an arm around his neck. “What’s the story?”

“The printer broke down. I swear I didn’t do anything this time. It just failed on its own.”

“You seriously have the worst luck,” Jungkook says uninterestedly from his other side.

“And guess what? Min Yoongi was there and saw the whole thing unfold,” Jimin cries exasperatedly, walking backwards in front of them so he could look at them both in the face.

“Oh you mean the ‘totally hot’ senior who doesn’t know you exist in this school?” Taehyung supplies.

“Hey,” Jimin frowns, offended. “He knows me. He just saw me today.”

Jungkook snorts helpfully.

“Anyways,” Jimin continues. “Yoongi just stood there and didn’t do anything to help me!”

“Uhm—Jimin,” Taehyung coughs loudly suddenly. Jungkook promptly looks to the side, as if the walls were suddenly fascinating to him.

“So, we were talking about lunch right?” Taehyung’s eyes are narrowed, his smile is strained and he’s gazing at him so intently, but Jimin has no idea what he’s trying to say.

“What? No, we’re talking about Min Yoongi. Like I know he’s hot but—would you just stop coughing Taehyung and let me finish—but does he have to be so…” Jimin trails off as he turns around just as they’re about to turn the corner. Because Yoongi’s standing in front of him, eyebrows raised in amusement.

Taehyung face palms.

“Do I have to be so what?” Yoongi moves closer to him, now smirking slightly.

“Uhh…” Jimin thinks the proximity is messing with his brain, sending it into overdrive.

“Be so nice! Of course, because you’re the nicest person in the world ha ha ha…” Jimin laughs awkwardly. The nerves connecting his brain and arms seem to have been cut off as Jimin starts patting Yoongi’s shoulder, in attempt to pass of as casual.

He finally stops and retracts his hand as if he’d been stung when Yoongi gazes down hardly at his hand. The silence is cold.

“Uhm…that’s…well…I mean…bye,” Jimin stutters and runs off down the hallway. Taehyung and Jungkook bite their lips hardly to prevent from bursting out in laughter, slowly following behind.

 

 

“Well…that happened,” Jungkook says, shaking with mirth, once Jimin had deemed they were a safe distance away.

Taehyung, however, doesn’t bother to hide his laughter as he outright cackles into Jimin’s face. “That was the stupidest thing you’ve ever done. You can bet he’s gonna remember you now!”

Jimin’s face falls. “Guys leave me alone so I can wallow in my misery and drown in my own stupidity.”

 

----------

 

The second time happens only a few days later. Jimin’s turning round the corner to get to the vending machine, only to find Min Yoongi, leaning against the wall opposite the very vending machine Jimin was going towards. Curse his luck.

Yoongi lifts his head, earphones still plugged in, and smirks.

Jimin clears his throat and continues to walk confidently to the vending machine. That of course, means he had to pass by Yoongi. Be cool, be cool, he chants in his head. I’m just getting a drink, nothing can go wrong, I’m cool.

Apparently, Jimin has a way of making even the simplest things go wrong. Jimin starts out by inserting a two dollar bill into the machine and waits for the change to drop out. Only, he gets more than needed. A few coins hit the change box, making a clinking sound. Then another, and another.

Jimin lets out a very unmanly yelp as the coins keep falling, rattling as they hit the floor. What even? He presses his hands to the opening, trying to staunch the flow like how he would with a bleeding wound. Unsurprisingly, the coins continue to flow over his palms. To make matters worse, he hears Yoongi snorting behind.

Jimin shuts his eyes and breathes out, wishing it to be a dream and willing everything to go away. Except it doesn’t. He sighs. What did the world have against him? He was just a young boy, trying to survive in high school and make a somewhat good impression on his crush. Well that was definitely gone.

Why? Why were things always breaking down when he needs them? And right in front of Yoongi, at that? He turns around to look helplessly at Yoongi. He was his last hope.

Yoongi only laughs. He’s bending over, clutching his stomach as he lets out a deep, low laugh. Jimin can still find the sound beautiful despite being in this situation. Yoongi takes a few steps forward, bends down and fishes out Jimin’s can of orange juice that he hadn’t even realised had dropped out.

“We were never here, okay?” Yoongi’s grinning at him, revealing his gummy smile. Jimin’s too mesmerized by the rare sight that the words don’t register in his brain quick enough. But Yoongi’s already grabbing his wrist and pulling him off down the hallway.

That’s how they ended up collapsed on the floor of an empty classroom, breathless from running and laughing. They lapse into silence as they catch their breaths.

Yoongi stands up and dusts himself off. “You’re cute, Park Jimin,” he states and ruffles his hair, before leaving the classroom nonchalantly.

And Jimin explodes, figuratively. The heat pooling in his stomach has surged up to his face, burning his cheeks, ears and neck. His heart is pounding a mile a minute and his stomach was squeezing tightly. ‘He knows my name!’ he squeals mentally.

 

----------

 

“I told you he knew who I was!” Jimin reported boastfully.

“You sure you weren’t just dreaming?” Jungkook looks down at him sympathetically.

“No! Next time, I’m going to talk to him properly and make sure nothing breaks!”

“Yeah, you go do that,” Jungkook mutters absentmindedly.

 

----------

 

Fate, however, must have held a grudge against him because it occurs again for the third time.

This time, it’s in a classroom full of people staring, including Yoongi. The Creative Arts class is the only class he shares with Yoongi, together with Taehyung and Jungkook, and Jimin treasures every second of it, even if they’re sitting nowhere near each other. Yoongi seats at the back of the class while Jimin sits at the front like a typical nerd.

“You,” the teacher points at Jimin. “Come help me connect my computer to the projector. And open the school website while you’re at it. I have something to show the class.”

Jimin strolls down to the teacher’s desk and successfully sets up the computer. He’s pretty confident this time. Except when has things ever gone smoothly? He should have known, really.

Jimin continues to naively type in the school website, unaware that he’s made a minor typo error. His good, wonderful and nice friends, Taehyung and Jungkook don’t bother to notify him. And that’s when things start to go downhill.

An unknown website comes up. Jimin frowns and is just about to close it when a picture of a lady pops up.

“OH MY GOSH!” Jimin shouts and covers his eyes. Jimin’s had a couple of girlfriends before and he is aware of the structure and anatomy of the human, female body. But he’s never actually seen one so he’d like to protect his innocent eyes.

The class roars in laughter and a few whistles sounded. Oh, that’s right. The thing’s on display for the whole class to see. Jimin wishes a hole would appear and swallow him up.

“Quiet!” their teacher waves them off blindly, thinking it’s their usual rowdy behaviour. His head is still in his bag, trying to dig out materials.

Swallowing slowly, Jimin decides to salvage what he can. Peeking through one hand, his other hand moves the mouse swiftly, attempting to close the pictures. It’s futile as more pictures keep appearing. When a particularly obscene pictures pops up, Jimin screams, petrified, and throws the mouse down harshly, screwing his eyes shut. The class guffaws even harder.

“What?!” their teacher snaps, finally looking up. His eyes look as if they were about to drop out.

“Park Jimin! What have you done to my computer?! Is there a virus?!”

“I didn’t do anything…” Jimin mumbles sadly, looking close to crying.

“See me after class!” he grumbled and shut the computer down. The class quietened at the heavy atmosphere. “Guess we can’t do what I’ve prepared after all.”

 

 

Jimin fiddles with the bottom of his shirt nervously, as he stands in front of the teacher’s desk. The rest of the students trail out behind him.

Taehyung and Jungkook arrive, sporting similar, evil grins. Jungkook shakes his head disbelievingly as he walks out. Taehyung pats his head and sniggers, “I love you, man.”

Jimin sighs and cast his eyes downwards to the floor. He is met with two pairs of shoes. Jimin glances up only to see Yoongi smiling that same gummy smile. “This is the most fun this class has ever been,” he chortles and leaves Jimin all alone with his racing heart.

He knows he did something really stupid but Yoongi’s words can’t help but make him feel proud. The blush on his cheeks remain for the whole day and his teacher’s words does nothing to faze him.

 

----------

 

Despite his misfortune, Jimin likes to think optimistically. That’s why the next time he sees Yoongi, he’s absolutely, positively certain he can finally talk to him. They’re on a stairwell, Jimin had just started going down when he spots Yoongi walking up in front. There’s nothing in the vicinity. This is great.

Their eyes meet and Jimin raises a hand to say hi, a bright smile already forming on his face. That expression quickly morphs to one of fear as Jimin trips over his own feet.

It would have been fine, albeit embarrassing, if he hadn’t been on the stairs. There’s one second in which Jimin feels like he’s floating in mid-air, then the terrible moment when you realise what’s about to happen dawns upon him. Jimin has no time to open his mouth to scream as he’s plunging downwards. He has never understood the phrase ‘to fall head over heels in love’ but he thinks this must be the literal definition.

The look of Yoongi’s shocked face registers fleetingly in his brain before he crumples painfully onto the hard cement ground. A bursting, sharp pain shoots up his elbow and he can feel his arm being twisted at a strange angle beneath him.

He’s not sure how much time he has spent in that position but soon, there’s someone cradling his head. Pain appeared as bright white spots in his eyes, clouding his vision. He can vaguely make out Yoongi staring worriedly at him, his lips moving but no sound reaches his ears.

Jimin smiles hazily as tears well up in his eyes. “…really…really…like you...” is what Jimin thinks but he’s not sure if he actually spoke out loud because there’s an insistent ringing blaring in his eardrums. This must be a dream, Jimin thinks because the way Yoongi’s looking at him is making his heart do somersaults, and Yoongi would never look at him like that because Yoongi doesn’t like him.

That’s his last thoughts as everything goes black.

 

----------

 

Jimin wakes up to whiteness.

“Am I in heaven?” he mumbles.

“No,” a low voice grunts from the side. “You’re in the school infirmary.”

Jimin sits up slowly. He’s on a bed, arm bundled up with a triangular bandage, his upper arm was sore and stiff with pain. Yoongi is sitting beside the bed, beanie tucked just above his eyebrows as usual, and staring lazily at him.

“You’re really heavy, you know? I had to carry you all the way from the staircase that you fell so elegantly from,” Yoongi complains.

“Sunbae…” Jimin whispers apologetically, lips pulled downwards.

“Call me hyung,” Yoongi clears his throat in embarrassment. He looks out the window, scratching the back of his ear, but Jimin clearly sees a faint pink on his cheeks.

“Anyways,” Yoongi says, turning back to him. “How are you so clumsy? You broke your arm while falling down a flight of stairs. The nurse says you have to see a doctor immediately. She’s given you permission to leave school early.”

“Oh. Okay, I’ll go.” Jimin attempts to crawl out of the bed. Yoongi sighs and stands up, place his hands around Jimin’s good arm to stabilise him.

“I’m fine, thank you for saving me, hyung. I’ll be going now…” Jimin smiles tiredly.

Yoongi flicks his forehead, earning a yelp and a cute glare. “I’m coming with you, idiot.”

Jimin gapes at him in shock. “What? No, you don’t have to! I’ll just find my friends or something.”

“I already went to find them while you were sleeping. Taehyung and Jungkook right? But they only laughed and said the best cure for you was to have me accompany you. What kind of friends do you have anyways?” Yoongi grumbles as he leads Jimin out the door.

Jimin flushes furiously.

 

 

“So…” Yoongi smirks suddenly, and leans closer, invading much of his personal space. Their noses are almost brushing and Jimin’s breath hitches. They stop in their tracks.

“I heard you like me?”

Jimin feels his heart plummet. “Whaaat? No, of course not. Where would you even get that idea?” he splutters.

“Who was the one who confessed to me while passing out?” Yoongi’s still smirking.

Jimin falls silent at that. Seeing there was no response, Yoongi straightened, smiling smugly as he swung an arm around Jimin’s shoulder gently so as to not jostle his injured arm.

“Let’s go get something to eat after this,” Yoongi says conversationally.

Jimin glances at him sceptically. “As in for dinner?”

Yoongi looks at him, amusement dancing across his features. “No,” he says clearly. “As in a date.”

Jimin blinks. Did he hear right?

Yoongi rolls his eyes. “Yes, I’m asking you out.”

“Why?” Jimin asks confusedly, cocking his head to the side.

Yoongi lets out a deep sigh. “Why else? You caught my attention with the way you keep breaking things in front of me. And you’re cute when you’re flustered.”

Jimin breaks out into a shy but wide beam. He tries to hug him only to remember his arm is broken, and ends up awkwardly clutching onto Yoongi with one arm. “I like you too!” he smiled up at him, eyes turning to thin lines.

“I know, you brat,” Yoongi says but couldn’t resist smiling back.

There’s a slight skip in Jimin’s steps as they walk off.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a very very failed attempt at fluff