Hidden Camera Dilema

Welcome to the Fish Tank

I finished pulling the rest of the snacks I had purchased the night before out of the cupboard. My friends, also label mates, GOT7 were coming over to my apartment to watch their latest episode of “GOT7ing” with me, since I was also a part of the episode. Their hidden cameras were always popular amongst their fans. The boys really enjoyed doing them as well, so one of them thought it would be funny to pull a hidden camera on me. I chuckled as I recalled that day.

I had just finished up shooting the week’s scenes for the current drama I had been casted in. I found out from my manager that GOT7 was free and just hanging around the company building. He figured spending some time with the boys would be a fair reward for my hard work.

I texted Mark, seeing as him and I were the closest, to find out exactly where the boys were.

Mark and I are both California natives. He is one year my senior, but we don’t use formalities. Most of the time we communicate in English. This really helped me adjust when I first was accepted into JYP Entertainment. Our personalities are very similar as well, so that helped us grow closer together.

I feel the other members are sometimes jealous of how close Mark and I are, but I have a different relationship with each of them. I treat Yugyeom and Youngjae like precious little brothers. Actually I treat them almost as if they were my own children. Jackson is my comic relief. He is always there to be sure my spirits are kept high. Bambam is my taste of home, seeing as he reminds me so much of my actual little brother.   Jr was my sarcastic friend. Together we have verbally slain the other members of GOT7 countless times, easily playing off of each other. It’s all in good fun though. And lastly JB, my sense of reason and personal counselor. He helped me solve any conflict I presented him. The two of us worked well together.

Mark texted me back saying they were all about to watch a movie in the practice room. Why they didn’t do that at their dorm beat me, but I headed that way anyways.

                “Emma, you made it!” Bambam exclaimed, running and clinging to my side.

I chuckled and shrugged him off. This wasn’t like him, but I figured he was just excited about having some free time.

                “Hyuuuung, don’t bother Emma noona as soon as she walks in the door.” Youngjae groaned from his seat on the couch. He seemed honestly upset about it.

Feeling the vibe in the room, I felt that something was off. I greeted everyone else and took the open seat next to Youngjae. He scooted closer to me and rested his head on my shoulder.

                “Did you guys have a tough day today?” I asked as I ruffled Youngjae’s hair. “What is going on?”

                “We can’t decide on a movie so maybe now since you’re here, we might finally come to a decision.” Jr explained.

                “Okay, well what are your options?”

Jackson named off three movies I had never heard of before. No wonder the boys were struggling to pick one.

                “Can I make a suggestion? What about a superhero movie?” I said, thinking maybe some middle ground would help us come to a decision.

                “That doesn’t sound too bad.” Yugyeom smiled.

                “How about we watch Thor? I think I have that in the collection that I brought.” Jackson walked over to his duffel bag and searched inside for the dvd. “Looks like we have a winner!” He exclaimed, holding the dvd case above his head.

                “Finally!” Jr sighed.

JB and Mark had set off to find the projector and dvd player. Youngjae had repositioned himself so that his head was rested on my lap. Yugyeom, Jackson, and Jr had started goofing around in front of the mirrors.  Bambam solemnly approached me and Youngjae, and had sat down in front of us on the floor.

                “Em noona, why do you favor Youngjae and Yugyeom?” Bambam asked me in English.

                “I don’t favor anyone. I like you all the same. We just all have different relationships with each other is all.” I answered him back in English. I assumed he didn’t want Youngjae or Yugyeom to understand what we were talking about to avoid conflict.

It seemed to have been pointless because Youngjae picked up his head a bit and smirked at Bambam.

“Yeah, you’re different.” He teased.

                I tapped him on the head. “Yah, that’s not nice!”

                “Noona, I want you and I to have a closer relationship.” Bambam said, ignoring Youngjae.

I was taken aback by his request. I thought we were pretty close. Bambam and I were constantly teasing and joking around with each other, just as I would do with my brother back at home.

The atmosphere in the practice room grew tense. Jr, Jackson, and Yugyeom had stopped goofing around and tuned in on our conversations.

                “Bambam, I consider us close. You don’t?” Something seemed off. Why was Bambam acting this way all of a sudden?

                “Hyung, you promised you wouldn’t!” Youngjae sprung up and got to his feet. “This isn’t fair!”

                “Yah, yah, yah!” Jr quickly moved to Youngjae’s side and put his arms around him, as if to hold him back. “Now is not the time for this.”

                Bambam got to his feet as well. “How long am I supposed to wait? This isn’t fair to me either. We all know neither of us are noona’s biases, so what do we have to lose?”

My biases? What did that have to do with anything? GOT7 had debuted already by the time I had joined the company. Plus, I was already a fan of JJ Project, so liking GOT7 was almost a given. They asked me when we first met who I found the most attractive. My answer, after being begged for a good five minutes, was JB and Mark. Why was this coming up now? Wait…

JB and Mark returned with the projector and dvd player. After picking up on the scenario, JB sighed.

                “Did this really have to go down now? This is supposed to be our down time.”

Everyone immediately straightened up at the leader’s remark. Mark walked over to me and placed his hand on my shoulder.

                “JB, I’ll handle this one. Why don’t Emma and you be in charge of snacks?” JB nodded before heading back out the door.

I’m sure he was relieved that he didn’t have to resolve this issue. Mark nodded his head towards the door, telling me to hurry up and follow after JB.

                “Jaebum–ah, wait up!” I called out to him as he reached the elevator. I noticed he had brought a camera with him. “Are you guys filming GOT7ing right now?”

                “We are supposed to carry these around in case of a filming opportunity occurs.” He turned the camera on. “Like our walk. Let’s see if it will be worth airing.”

We exited the building and headed towards the closest convenient store. JB had started recording but neither of us knew quite what to say. Thankfully we didn’t have far to walk and once we were inside the convenience store, a heated, playful debate began.

                “Jaebum, you are not paying for all of this alone.”

                “Noona, I got this. It’s not that much.”

                “Let me pay half.”

                “No.”

                “Okay how about this? I pay for Mark’s, Yugyeom’s, Youngjae’s, and yours. You pay for Jr’s, Jackson’s, Bambam’s, and mine. We aren’t really paying for our own that way.”

                JB sighed in defeat. “Fine”

I linked arms with JB on our way back. What happened before we left, in the practice room, was weighing on me. JB knew what was going on and I was going to get answers.

                “Jaebum, be honest with me. Are you guys filming in the practice room?”

                He nodded. “Almost always, but yes the cameras are on today.”

                “Is it supposed to be some hidden camera? You guys are usually this tense and awkward when trying to prank someone.” JB looked at me and smiled. “You are pulling a hidden camera on me!”

                “I told them you would figure it out.”

                I scoffed. “So Bambam and Youngjae are supposed to be fighting over me? You should have come up with something more believable.”

                “They thought it would surprise you more.”

                “It’s kind of uncomfortable, honestly. They’re like my little brothers.”

We walked back into the company building, still arm in arm. Seeing as it was getting late, the main lobby was empty aside from a few security guards. They smiled and waved at us as we approached the elevators.

                “You know what would be funny? We should turn the hidden camera back on them.”

                “I like how you think.” JB smirked. “Follow my lead and act really upset, okay? This will be fun.”

We walked into a still tense practice room. They must have been timing us so they could all get back into character.

                “You weren’t able to resolve things?” JB questioned Bambam and Youngjae with annoyed tone. “Do I really have to out you guys?”

                “Hyung, please. Don’t be upset.” Jackson said, stepping in front of JB.

                “Emma has a right to know. It’s best to just put everything out on the table.” JB said. “She isn’t dumb. She asked me why everyone was being so strange.”

                “Noona, did you figure us out?” Youngjae looked at me with a worried expression.

                I crossed my arms over my chest. “No, but I would love to know what is going on.”

Everyone looked between each other, attempting to figure out who was going to speak up first. I glanced over at JB, whom held his angered expression well. I could see that Mark fighting back a smile. Yugyeom and Jackson looked down at their feet, as if they were in fear of being scolded more. Bambam looked around the room like how I was. Youngjae had turned his back to the rest of us.

                JB roared in frustration, causing all of us to jump in fear. “Bambam and Youngjae both have crushes on you, noona!”

                I feigned shock and took a step behind me. “I–I don’t know what to say.”

                “Emma, you don’t have to say anything.” Mark told me. “I’m sure this came out of nowhere.”

                “You think?” I sneered. “I need a minute.”

I stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind me. I stopped at the staircase that was a bit down the hallway from the practice room. I figured someone would come after me so I stayed in character as I waited for someone to appear.

I didn’t have to wait long before I heard the practice room door close and footsteps coming down the hallway.

                “Em? Em, are you alright?” Mark jogged over to my side. JB wasn’t too far behind him, camera in hand.

                “I’m fine. Are you alright?” I asked Mark with a smile.

                “You know it’s a hidden camera.” It wasn’t a question.

                “How long until the others figure out that I know?” I asked.

                “They are all feeling pretty guilty right now. So I think they are going to need a bit more of a push to figure it out.” JB said. “What do you think we should do next?”

I thought for a moment. What would help make this a better hidden camera? What would come off as a huge, believable shock factor? I looked between JB and Mark. That’s it.

                “You two are my biases!” They both looked at me with confused expressions. “Let’s play on that. Make them think I’m secretly dating one of you by catching one of you consoling me.”

Mark shot me a warning glance. You see, there is a little thing that I have yet to mention about my relationship with Mark.

                “Consoling you how?” JB asked.

                “How about Mark goes in and tells them I am crying and that they should probably come out and apologize. We will have to do something aside from a pat on the back so that way they can assume that JB and I are dating.”

Mark was now glaring at me. I was definitely crossing a line between him with this prank.

                “You really going to give them that much logical credit to figure all that out?” JB asked.

                “Well we don’t have much time to think of much else. What if they come out here on their own? I don’t hear you two throwing out any ideas.” I told him.

Mark let out an angry sigh before he stomped his foot and marched back to the practice room. I felt bad seeing how upset he was, but this was all for show. If it was real, I could understand his upset.

                “Okay, so now you just need to –“ I was cut off by JB pinning me to the wall and placing his lips on mine.

There was no doubt now that the others would assume that we were dating now. This was a perfect example of JB and I working together. Whatever one of us couldn’t plan out, the other could.

I glanced down and saw that he was holding the camera at his side, facing the direction the others would be coming from so that he could film their reactions. My heart started to pound as I heard the footsteps approach. I anxiously closed my eyes and gripped JB’s shirt in my hands.

                “YAH!” Mark exclaimed.

JB and I separated. I looked down at my feet. Mark wasn’t acting. He was sincerely upset, probably more so now than he was before. Thankfully I didn’t feel the wrath of Mark’s glare. JB was the poor victim of that.

                “Are you two dating?” Jr asked, sounding kind of hurt. He probably assumed that he would have been the first to know if JB and I were actually dating.

                “No we aren’t dating.” I said, still looking down at my feet.

                “Then do you mind explaining what is going on here?” Jackson had stepped forward, in front of Mark.

                “A hidden camera inception.” I muttered.

                “A hidden camera…She found us out!” Bambam groaned.

The atmosphere didn’t lighten right way and I grew nervous. Did we commit two wrongs? Was everyone really this upset? I played with the hem of my shirt as I waited for someone to speak up or walk away or something. Now I was starting to feel bad.

Finally, Bambam and Youngjae burst out into laughter, slowly stirring laughter from the rest of us.

                “That was pretty smart to turn the hidden camera around on us.” Bambam said.

                “No hard feelings, right?” I asked, attempting to make eye contact with all seven of the boys. Mark was the only one who refused to look at me.

                “We’re good.” Jackson put an arm around my shoulder. “Now let’s finally watch that movie.”

Everyone nodded in agreement and headed back for the practice room.

All that was over a week ago and Mark hasn’t talked to me since then. I shouldn’t have let JB kiss me. To be entirely honest about Mark and my relationship, we are dating secretly. We have been for months. I'll explain how all of this started later.

The only reason we have kept it a secret is because JYP himself probably wouldn’t approve of us dating. Not that he wouldn’t be happy for us. It would be more of the fact that Mark and I are on our rise to fame and we didn’t need a dating scandal to come up. It was actually in our contracts that we weren’t allowed to date until further notice. We were to devote all of our time to our career.

So you can see now why Mark and I are so close. You can also see why Mark was so upset. I just hoped that because of this episode of GOT7ing that things between us won’t end, or anything else pop up.