The past still haunts me (part 1)

Crippled Feelings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I start work at 11am, but it’s okay. I’ll just let my employers know that I’ll be a bit late on that day. Don’t worry, I’ll be there. Thank you for calling. See you on Monday.” Woohyun ended the call and put his phone back into his pocket. He walked back into the bedroom and closed the door. “Sorry it took so long, Sung-” Woohyun stopped in his tracks when he saw that the room was empty. But where could Sunggyu go? He saw that the bathroom door was slightly ajar and uneasiness settled in his stomach. I d-did fill up the tube before picking up the call, right? Oh god, don’t tell me-! His heart clenched and he rushed over to the bathroom. “Sunggyu!” He called out, the second he spotted the other man.

“You’re finally back.” Sunggyu said in a slightly annoyed tone, but he got no response and the younger just stayed at the door looking at him, or more like inspecting him. “Woohyun?”

He is fine, he is fine!  “Ah, sorry! The call took longer than expected.” Woohyun carefully looked at Sunggyu from head to toe. He really seemed okay, but what was he doing in the bathroom then, all alone, with a bathtub full of water? He took notice of Sunggyu’s ed shirt and his heart started racing all over again. “What were you doing here? Why is your shirt open?”

Sunggyu sent him a confused look. “What do you mean what? I’m getting ready for the bath. It’s so hot and I keep sweating, god I hate summer! You were taking too long, so I thought that I should at least start removing my clothes if-”

Suddenly Woohyun’s legs gave in and his bottom hit the cold bathroom floor, he covered his face with his hands and hung his head low. “Ah, man. I’m being so not cool right now.”

Sunggyu played back the events a little – the frantic look on Woohyun’s face and his worried expression, the questions about what in the world he was doing all alone in the bathroom. He looked at the bathtub and then back at Woohyun. He sighed and moved his wheelchair closer to the man on the floor. He stopped next to the younger and Woohyun looked up, when he realized that Sunggyu was in front of him. “On your knees.” The older ordered.

“W-what?”

“You heard me.” Sunggyu had no intention to repeat his words, the man before him wasn’t deaf. Sunggyu spoke loud and clear.

Woohyun wondered if he had heard it right at first, but Sunggyu was giving him the ‘hurry-up’ look, so he found strength in his legs and lifted himself up only to kneel down in front of the older seconds later. Okay, now what?

“Lift both of your hands up.” Sunggyu continued with his commands. Woohyun seemed hesitant again and Sunggyu really had no time for this, he wanted to shower as soon as possible. “Now.” He said in a stern voice and Woohyun finally did as told. “Good, stay like that for a while and tell me what you’ve done wrong.”

What the-? I’m not 5! What kind of punishment is this?? Do I have to stay like this until my hands go numb? And wait, what wrong have I done anyway? Woohyun furrowed his brows in thought, but nothing really came to his mind.

Sunggyu noticed the distress on Woohyun’s face and moved his wheelchair a bit closer. The younger gave him a toothy smile, as he was still trying to figure out what he had done, when Sunggyu flicked his forehead and that almost made Woohyun stumble back.

“S-sunggyu! Why did you do that??” He whined and wanted to rub his abused forehead, but Sunggyu’s words stopped him.

“I didn’t tell you to put your hands down.”

Woohyun groaned, but remained in his torturous position. Why am I even complying? He stayed like that for a little longer, chewing on his bottom lip. I really don’t get this. He glanced at Sunggyu and he seemed kind of irritated? Woohyun had never seen the older man angry before, so he couldn’t be sure, but the look Sunggyu was giving him said only one thing – he was in trouble.

Sunggyu touched his face and wiped a fair amount if sweat. It’s so hot. I really need a shower. “Do you really not know why I’m doing this?” Woohyun pouted and shook his head, his hands were really starting to get numb now. “I’m punishing you for your stupid and weird thoughts. Did you think that I would miraculously get up from the wheelchair and get into to bathtub on my own? Did you think that I would use this as a chance to end my life?”

H-he got me. “I-I just… I got scared when you weren’t there when I came back.” Besides, in situations like that people get creative! You could have crawled into the tub or something!

“Woohyun, I would never do something like that!”

“But 5 years ago-”

“Exactly because I tried it once. I would never put my parents through the same pain again, the thought that they could lose me as well, it will kill them. I was unstable back then, I wasn’t thinking clearly when I did it. I needed help, but I didn’t know who to turn to. I started having doubts about everyone’s real thoughts about me. I felt miserable, unwanted, pitied, it was all too much. I wanted to share with someone, to spill everything that I had been bottling up but there was no one. Nobody really noticed how I felt. When someone asked me the question ‘Are you okay?’, I knew they were asking about my legs. Yes, I was very upset that I couldn’t walk, that I wasn’t able to get better. But nobody ever asked me about the pain that was ripping apart my heart. I had not only lost my legs, I had lost my brother, my dreams, even my friends. I had lost my life, I felt like an empty shell and no one noticed that. When I tried to commit suicide, I didn’t think about mom and dad or Myungsoo or even myself, I just wanted the pain to end and I thought that was the only way, but I was wrong. When I opened my eyes again and saw my mother’s teary eyes, that sight broke me all over again. She never even once blamed me for what I had tried to do, she only said how sorry she was for not noticing what I had been going trough. She apologized numerous times and asked for my forgiveness, but there was nothing to forgive her for. She had done nothing wrong, I was the foolish one, for not thinking straight. The only thing she asked from me was to never hide anything and always tell her how I felt, she said she would listen to me and try her best to help me. So now when I feel like talking with someone, I know there are people who would listen. People who won’t judge me, no matter what I say. People who know everything about me and love me a lot. I regret my actions from 5 years ago a lot. I really treasure my life, Woohyun. No matter how crappy it is.”

While he was listening to Sunggyu’s confession, Woohyun had already put down his hands. The older hadn’t even noticed that little fact, because he was too immersed in his talk and Woohyun felt that each word which slipped out of the other’s lips pierced his heart, as if a knife was used. The pain that Sunggyu had gone through made his heart ache. He would never be able to figure out why the worse things always happened to good people. “Your life is not crappy. You were just unlucky, that’s all.”

Sunggyu took notice of the other’s solemn expression and thought that maybe he shouldn’t have said those things, maybe he should have just stayed in the bedroom, he should have waited for the younger’s return. But it was too late now and Sunggyu knew better than anyone else that you could never turn time back, no matter how much you wanted. “Maybe you are right. I must be the most unlucky man alive.” He said, as a sad chuckle escaped his lips.

“You know that’s not what I meant.” Woohyun protested and gripped the fabric of the older’s pants.

“I know, I was trying to joke again. I guess it didn’t work out, huh?” The younger shook his head and Sunggyu buried his hands in Woohyun’s locks, playfully tugging at his hair. “I’ll try better next time.”

Woohyun looked up and when he saw the older’s smiling face, he couldn’t help but smile back. “I’m sorry that you had to feel this way, but I’m glad you now understand how valuable your life is. The only thing I regret is that I didn’t come to you sooner. If I had, maybe you-”

“What are you saying, idiot? You appeared when I needed you the most.”

Woohyun let his head fall on Sunggyu’s knees, as the other was still playing with his hair. “You’re not being fair. You can’t say stuff like that all of a sudden.” Especially when it’s just the two of us. Woohyun wrapped his arms around Sunggyu’s legs and hugged them tightly. “I’ll make sure you never feel that again, Sunggyu. You deserve all the happiness in the world. I wish you could be more confident and proud of everything you are, because to me you are perfect. I’ll make you realize that soon.”

Sunggyu couldn’t feel Woohyun’s grip around his legs, but he somehow felt like he was running on a field where no one could stop him. It was probably because of the younger’s words, they warmed up his heart and the sight of Woohyun comfortably using his legs as a pillow made him happy. I guess my legs are not that useless after all. Such a thought had never crossed his mind before, it was the first time and it was because of Woohyun. “If you call someone like me perfect, then there must be something wrong with you.”

“You are perfect, Sunggyu. Just the way you are.”

The reply echoed in the bathroom and Sunggyu said nothing else, because he knew Woohyun wasn’t just saying that – he meant it.





It was Monday and Sunggyu loved that day of the week the most, simply because every Monday Woohyun bought him his favorite flowers – peonies. The younger always went for different colors, because he wasn’t sure which ones Sunggyu liked the most, but honestly Sunggyu loved them all and besides the different colored petals didn’t have the same aroma and the new scent every week always pleased Sunggyu.

It was a bit past 11am and he found it weird that Woohyun still hadn’t burst into the room, laughing loudly as he usually did. He’s never late. Why is he not here yet?

About half an hour passed like that, with Sunggyu wondering where the younger was. Maybe he’s just in the kitchen with Eunah? They are probably talking about something and he hasn’t noticed it’s already this late. Sunggyu was about to pick up the phone and make a call, when he heard the door opening. A small smile appeared on his lips. About time. However his face dropped when he saw Eunah walking through the door with a tray in her hands. Sunggyu intensely followed her moves with his eyes, but she acted like nothing was going on. Where is he??

“Wow, you look like you’re going to eat me alive. Here, I brought you your lunch.” Eunah said, as she placed the tray on the table before Sunggyu.

The boy looked at the door, but it didn’t open a second time. “Where is Woohyun?”

“Hm? What do you mean? He said he would be late today. Didn’t he tell you?”

Sunggyu frowned at the news. It’s my first time hearing about this!!!

“Aigoo, look at you. You haven’t seen him since yesterday and you’re already missing him!” The woman chuckled at Sunggyu’s behavior, as he poured him some juice.

W-what? That’s not it! He’s just usually here when I wake up and he’s always the one to bring me my lunch. The thought that Woohyun had something more important than him at the moment kind of saddened him. Huh, I guess I really do miss him a bit.

“Don’t worry, he said he’ll be late with an hour or two. Bear with it a little longer and you’ll see him soon. Now eat before it gets cold.”



It was almost 2 in the afternoon when the door of Sunggyu’s bedroom was opened again and by the soft steps he just knew it was Woohyun. He finally decided to show up. Sunggyu had closed his eyes about an hour ago, trying to fall asleep but he wasn’t tired at all so it wasn’t working. His back was facing Woohyun and he had the intention to ignore him, but soon a new weight was added to the bed and Sunggyu stiffened when he realized how close the other actually was.

“I’m sorry for coming just now. I totally forgot to tell you yesterday that I would be late today.” He got no response, but he knew Sunggyu was awake. The older’s body had tensed up a bit when he sat on the bed. “Sunggyu, talk to me.” He begged, as he gently rubbed the other’s shoulder. Sunggyu rolled around, facing him and Woohyun could tell that he was upset. He was about to apologize again, but Sunggyu’s words made him freeze on his spot.

Sunggyu wasn’t angry or something. He just wanted to tease Woohyun a little. But when he turned around, he knitted his eyebrows at the sight before him. The younger was smiling at him, but Sunggyu’s eyes traveled to the other’s hands and they were empty and that’s certainly something he did not expect. “Where are my flowers?” He asked, while slowly lifting himself up, using his hands. Woohyun had frozen at the sudden question and Sunggyu’s heart sank at that. What is going on today?

“Oh god, Sunggyu. I’m really sorry! I forgot to stop by the shop!” Woohyun apologized right away, realizing that he had messed up. “I will go and buy them right no-”

“Forget it!” Sunggyu snapped, when Woohyun bounced off the bed.

There was no need for Sunggyu to say other words. Woohyun could see it in his eyes – he was disappointed, sad and even a bit angry. But there was also something else, Sunggyu looked kind of betrayed? And I swore I would never make him feel anything, but joy. “I will get two kinds of flowers tomorrow and-”

“Do you think this is because of the flowers?? Or because you’re late??” Sunggyu interrupted him, while raising his voice.

Sunggyu never behaved like this and Woohyun was getting confused now. “Then what is it about?” He questioned, as he sat on the edge of Sunggyu’s bed.

Unbelievable, he actually dares to ask me that! Why hasn’t he figured it out yet?? “Do you know how I felt when Eunah suddenly told you would be coming in the afternoon?” Woohyun looked away, redeeming for his carelessness. “While I was waiting for you, I couldn’t help, but wonder ‘Ah, has he finally got tired of my crap?’ and that really made me feel even worse.”

“Sunggyu, that’s not-” Woohyun tried to reason, but to no avail.

“And I couldn’t even ask you when exactly you would be coming, because guess what – I don’t even have your number! I know I’m being childish right now. You are only not here when I’m sleeping, but I can’t help it. I know that you have your own life as well and I can’t be so selfish.” I can’t just keep you to myself, I’m aware of that. But it can’t change the fact that I want to. “These past few hours, I had the time to think about everything I know about you and it led me to a dead end, because I know nothing about you, Woohyun!” The younger opened his mouth to protest again, but Sunggyu didn’t give him the chance. “Not stupid things like your favorite color and music you listen to or the food you like and dislike. Something about you, anything! But there was nothing, no matter how much I thought about it! I opened up my heart f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter