Heartsmith

The Heartsmith

"Excuse me, sir?  Would you like to buy a heart?" 

A business man paused in his tracks and looked over to the vendor, a man with a sunny smile and eyes that were turned into crescents.  Floating in one of the man's hands was a beautiful red orb in the shape of a heart.

"I have many beauties to offer you."  The vendor said, gesturing to his basket where hearts were laying, each carefully nestled in the cotton.

Smoothing down the front of his suit jacket, the taller man took a look at the basket before turning inquisitive eyes towards the man.  "I don't suppose you mend hearts as well, do you?"

The man's smile faded and he almost sadly looked down at his basket.  "Oh...no, I don't.  I just sell hearts, sir."

"I see..."

The vendor's eyes widened slightly as he let out an 'Oh!'  He carefully set the heart he had been holding, into the basket, then pointed down the street.  "If you head down that way though, you'll be able to find the Heartsmith."

"The Heartsmith?"  The business man asked, head tilted slightly.

"Yes.  He's a great guy and amazing at repairing hearts.  He does wonders with them."

"That so?"  The man looked down the street before looking back to the vendor.  "I suppose I'll pay him a visit then.  Thank you...?" His voice trailed off questioningly.

"Jinki, sir. And you're very welcome.  I'm glad to have been of help..?"  The vendor's voice also left off in a questioning tone, making the other man smile faintly.

Bowing his head slightly, the taller man straightened a bit.  "Minho.  Thank you again, Jinki."  With that said, Minho was soon leaving the vendor's stall and walking down the street.

Several streets down, he soon found himself standing in front of another building.  Above the door in large letters read 'HEARTSMITH'.  In the large windows, different fake hearts were displayed, each with different degrees of being broken and each one showing an after form of being fixed.  It took several moments before Minho found the courage to walk into the shop.

The shop wasn't very large, but it wasn't too small either.  Shelves lined the walls with books, jars, and more displays of broken and fixed hearts.  Slightly off center of the shop was a long table, a man with silver hair hunched over a heart being held on a stand. He wore a white long sleeved shirt with a dark grey vest over it though the shirt sleeves were rolled up to his elbows and the vest was ed. In glove covered hands, he held a small type of wending tool, tweezers in another and had dark goggles covering his eyes.

"Ahem...excuse me?"  Minho started, voice slightly uncertain as if unsure if he should disturb the man.

"Huh?"  The silver haired man paused and looked up, nose scrunched as if he were squinting before seeming to remember about the goggles and lifting them from his eyes and setting it on the table.  "Ah!  A customer."  Immediately, he smiled and stood from his bench, going over to properly greet the man.  "Welcome, sir!  How can I help you today?"

Minho gestured vaguely to the front of the shop.  "A vendor in the market told you fixed hearts?"  While it had been meant as a statement, it still came out more as a question as he was unsure if he was talking to the right man or not.  It was a bit ridiculous since he had just seen the man fixing a heart after all.

It didn't seem to bother the other man though, who simply smiled bright and jerked a thumb at himself.  "Yeah, that's me!  Name's Jonghyun and I'm the Heartsmith.  Pleased to meet you."

"Pleasure to meet you as well.  My name is Minho." 

"So, what seems to be the problem?  I mean, obviously a heart that needs mending, but how bad is it?"  Jonghyun questioned.

"Well...."  Minho trailed off as he carefully brought out his heart.

The sight of the damaged heart made Jonghyun lean forward a bit to get a closer look.  "Oh boy..."  The heart was broken nearly in two with even more small cracks adorning either half.  "This one will be pretty difficult to fix..."

"Is it money?  I promise I'll be able to afford it.  Or is it just not fixable?"  Minho asked, glancing down at the damaged heart, the light that usually shone from hearts, being rather dim and weak.

The Heartsmith's eyes widened slightly and he waved his hands in front of himself quickly.  "No, no!  I'm sure you can afford it and I can fix it.  It's just...going to take a while."

Minho's expression seemed to fall further.  "That..might be a bit of a problem."

Jonghyun seemed to light up with realization and in only seconds he was grinning and lightly nudging the other man.  "Planning on getting married?"

A faint dusting of pink covered Minho's cheeks before the man was clearing his throat and nodding.  "Yes actually."

After letting out a low whistle, Jonghyun nodded.  "Congrats then."

"Yes, thank you.  However...as the wedding draws nearer, I've found that this heart is incapable of loving."  Minho replied, looking almost sadly down at his heart.

Jonghyun ran a hand through his hair before rubbing his nape.  "I see how that'll be a problem....Well, I suggest that you leave it here for a while.  When's the wedding?"

"The wedding is to be in about two and a half weeks."

"Wow..."  Jonghyun exhaled deeply before giving a slight nod.  "Alright.  I can't make any promises, but I'll do my best!"

A gentle smile crossed Minho's lips as he carefully handed his heart to Jonghyun.  "Thank you, Heartsmith.  Please take good care of it."

"Of course!  I don't know when it'll be ready, so just be dropping by whenever it's convienient for you."

"I will."

 

~~~~~

 

"Jonghyun! Sorry to bother you today as well."

Looking up from his bench, Jonghyun pushed up his goggles before smiling.  "Oh, hello again, Minho."

The other man smiled, holding up a white box with a red ribbon on it.  "I brought cake today."  Several moments later and the two were sitting at the table, each with a plate and a slice of cake.  

"Mmm!  This is amazing!  I don't think I've ever had a customer as nice as you."  Jonghyun said, a near faint blush lighting his cheeks.  This was the third day after the first week  Minho had walked into the shop and was also the third day in a row that Minho had came to the shop baring a treat.

Minho laughed a bit.  "I'm glad you like it so much.  This is the least I could do for someone who's fixing my heart."

At that, Jonghyun frowned a bit, rubbing at his nape.  "About that..."

Almost immediately, the other man's expression became worried.  "Is there a problem?"

"Uhm, well..."  Jonghyun looked down, placing his fork onto his plate.  "It seems there's a few vital parts required for the 'love' function that are missing."

Minho's face seemed to fall as his gaze dropped to the table.  "...does this mean that I'll never be able to love my fiancee?"  A sigh left his lips.  "...she deserves so much better."

The Heartsmith was quiet  for a few long moments before lifting his gaze to Minho.  "Don't worry about it.  I will fix it for you."  His gaze drifted to the side, one hand absentmindedly coming up to rub at his own chest.  "There's still something that I could do..."

A bright smile adorning his lips, Minho looked at the other.  "Really?  Thank you, Jonghyun!"

"Don't worry about it.  I'm more than happy to help a kind person like you."  Jonghyun replied, another blush coating his cheeks.

Not seeming to notice anything as before, Minho stood.  "I'll be by again soon."

 

"Here it is."  Jonghyun held out his cupped hands, the now repaired heart floating gently above his palms.  It seemed to be shining brighter than ever.  Each small crack was fixed, the heart looking almost as good as new.

"Jonghyun...this is amazing!"  Minho's voice was breathless as he took his heart, carefully cradeling it.  "You truly are a Heartsmith..."

"Of course!  I told you I would fix it."  Jonghyun stated proudly.

Minho returned his heart to his chest, placing a hand over it, eyes filling with wonder.  "It's wonderful.  I can feel my heart nearly overflowing with love."

Jonghyun smiled, a hand resting over his own chest and lightly clutching his shirt as if touched by the other man's words.  "That's great!"

"Yes, it is.  I'm sure my fiancee will be happy now."

"Right...I'm sure she will..."  Jonghyun trailed off and glanced away only for his gaze to shoot up to Minho's as the other man's hands rest on his shoulders.

"You'll come to my wedding right? I mean, it wouldn't be nice of me not to invite you since you've made this all possible."

And like always, Minho didn't notice that Jonghyun's eyes were almost sad as he gave a nod and smile.  "Of course."

 

~~~~

 

"Hello Heartsmith."

Jonghyun looked up, one hand clutching the spot over his chest.  The setting sunlight made the unshed tears in his eyes seem to shine.

"Why would you give up most of your heart to fix his?"

"Look who's talking!  Why do you sell hearts when you don't have one of your own?"

Jinki huffed and looked away, arms crossed over his chest.  "Well, that's because I can't seem to find one that would properly fit me."

"Oh..."  Jonghyun looked away, one hand coming up to wipe at his teary eyes before bringing out what was left of his heart. "Perhaps this will fit you?"

Jinki's eyes fell to the heart, widening in surprise.  "You...you would give me your heart?"

Jonghyun looked down at the brightly shining orb and nodded.  "I no longer have use for my heart.  If you'll accept it, I would be greatly happy.

The vendor couldn't reply and simply hugged the Heartsmith tightly.  "Thank you..."

 

~~~~

 

 

A/N:  This is the end!  I feel like it , but I hope it's readable.  I wrote all of this in about an hour or something at 1am. Thanks for reading and I hope you liked it~