2/2: HYUKJAE'S POV

A Thirty-Degree Angle

I can't help but to think of how much of an idiot I am.

Well, for starters, Donghae just complimented me a while ago—and that definitely is an obvious sign that he is trying to flirt with me. What did I do? I thought it was awesome to bury my face on that thick Calculus text book instead of flirting back like, uh, ‘You look ravishing’ ‘Thanks, you're hot, by the way’. Oh my goodness, why am I such a complicated human?

I'm pretty much someone you can consider as an outgoing person, with enough knowledge about...well, that. It doesn't take that much effort for me to befriend someone, or please the elders, like what I've done to my *coughs* in-laws. I don't really see a logical reason behind my attitude when I'm with my, let's say, crush.

My personality turns a complete one-eighty degrees when I'm with someone I like, and I can't help it! I can't overcome my shyness when I'm with them, and I've already come to a conclusion that it could also be the reason why I have a zero experience in dating. I can barely flirt!

Donghae probably thinks now that I'm a huge idiot, or a weirdo, or maybe he only felt bad for me and that's why he agreed to see me tomorrow! I don't know!

I hope he didn't catch me staring at him all through those hours he taught me derivatives and integral rules. Truth is, his dad has been teaching me those since Day 1 and finished explaining to me all topics that will be covered in the exam and is just about to do a small review earlier before Donghae barged in, besides, I actually get it already. I'm a sly one, I know.

It's also relieving that his father always make a way to shoo him out of the room whenever he tries to sneak out while I'm learning math, but it's a torture at the same time, because hell, I want to spend time with him. I think his father knows that I like him though so he always keeps him away? I hope not or I'll be doomed. But yes, his father is also right that Donghae will be a distraction for me, like earlier. All I did is to ogle at his gorgeous face, and wonder how such thick eyelashes, doe eyes, straight nose, and rosy lips exist—technically I've done all those creepy stuffs. Don't tell Donghae, though.

I am also about seventy-five percent sure that he knows that I like him. I mean, my actions when I'm with him practically gives out my feelings.

Stupid, stupid, Hyukjae.

 

 

“Hyuk, turn off the lights when you're going upstairs, okay?”

“Yes, mom.” I shout from the bathroom, a little bit muffled since I’m brushing my teeth. It’s past ten in the evening and all I want to do is get some good night sleep—so I'd look fine tomorrow. The thought itself of going out alone with Donghae makes me feel like I’m floating. It's just...too good to be true.

I've been eyeing him ever since I first made a step inside their house; his face looks as if it was crafted by gods, and my, his personality is good too—talking about perfection.

This certainly ain't a proper date, but we're going out alone tomorrow and that's all that matters.

Perhaps I should man up and stop being timid too or else he’ll be bored of me as fast as a lightning. But what can I do though? This is me!

I shake my head off of my thoughts, wiping my hands dry. I walk upstairs to my room and I so happen to check my phone, which apparently has a nice surprise in it.

I almost threw my phone in the wall right after I saw his name on my inbox.

I said it's not a date right? Well he claimed it to be!

So...study date? Tomorrow? it said. I hardly get the chance to reply to him as I'm busy suffocating myself with muffling my squeals because it is obviously night time and my parents are sleeping beside my room, but .

I gather myself together after, maybe an hour? Of course this is my chance to salvage my reputation to him; I got to reply.

Yup ^^ Is 10 am fine for you? Thank you again :*

Well, at least I get to be more daring with that kissy face.

 

 

9:30 A.M.

Should I sneak into my sister’s make up kit and do some experiment?

Yes, I should.

I heard from other’s that I look awesome with eyeliner and that's exactly what I'm going to do. Also apply what do they call that? Is it BB or CC cream?

10:15 A.M.

I never knew applying eyeliner by myself will be this hard! I think I just spent thirty minutes trying to get it right, and fit feels like my eyes are on fire! Now, I understand my sister’s struggle with that thing.

Did I tell you that I'm already fifteen minutes late? Well, no? Yes I am!

Stupid, Hyukjae.

“Mom, Dad, bye!” I ran out of the house, hearing them say something but was cut off when I closed the door a little harsh.
, I still need to take a bus.

What a nice impression I’m going to make.

 

 

 

I arrive in the place we're about to meet, finally. I'm still outside though, deciding that it's good to catch my breath, and probably wipe the sweat off of me (I hope the make up isn't melting right on my face).

Donghae’s still there, thank goodness, and I feel like jumping fifty feet high for making this human wait for that long, embarrassing myself even more. I'm never going to make him like me, I swear.
Composing myself, I walk into the entrance of the restaurant. The smell is so like a sweet meat, and I feel my stomach grumble due to that pleasing aroma. The thought of Donghae sitting just there on the corner, waiting for me almost flies off—

.

“H-Hello D-D-Donghae!” I curse myself for stuttering while I manage to put on a nervous, smiley face at his direction.

He waves at me as he eats the last piece of his Taco. “Hi Hyukjae!”

I take steps towards him, and suddenly he looks so surprised. His stare on me is pretty intense which makes me focus on the floor rather than his face. Why is he looking at me as if he wants to eat me? I hate it because it makes me blush and therefore my feelings would be too obvious.

I take a sit, now shifting my eyes on the table. I'm still not looking at him though, but then he doesn't say anything. I look up, and find him staring back at me; I feel the heat creeping even more on my face.

“Uhm...Donghae...why are you staring at me like that...” I say and notice that my voice came out too soft. Really, Hyukjae? Man up.

He shakes his head slightly. Looks like he's back to reality. “Nothing, sorry. Let's just start.”

“Is it because I made you wait for so long? I'm really sorry there’s an emergency in the house, and I understand if you’d never want to see me again.” I pout and fix my stare back on table. I still want to see him though but, well, it's my fault.

“Oh no, Hyukjae. What are you saying? It's fine. I should be the one saying sorry because I ate without waiting for you.”

“But I'm at fault here...”

“Well if you feel so bad...you can give me your treat now, maybe?” Donghae shows me his cat-like smile and I feel my heart do some somersaults. Why do you have to do this to me?

“S-Sure...j-just...wait...”

Arriving at the counter, I immediately notice that very familiar back of this certain friend of mine. What is he doing here? “Siwon-ah?”
He turns his back and sees me, confirming that it is, indeed, Siwon. “Hyuk!” He shouts all over the place (it's good there's not much customers inside or else) and I swear I see Donghae look in my place. Damn you, Siwon. Now I feel self-conscious again because his eyes are on me.

My dear friend even runs out of the counter to hug me, ugh, it's really sweet of him to be clingy but sometimes it's just not that appropriate.

“I missed you.” Another thing about Siwon is that he isn't afraid to voice out his feelings. Brutally honest, to be exact.

“Didn't we see each other like, yesterday?”

“Yeah, I still missed you though.” He finally breaks off the hug, thank heavens.

“I never knew you work here?”

“Well I told you that Kyuhyun and I got part time jobs on weekends right? It's here!”

“I see then. When are you going to take my order?”

“Sorry! Coming right up!”

I tell him to get me the restaurant’s best-seller, and some iced-choco because I’m crazy for that stuff when this spawn-of-satan Kyuhyun went out of his nest.

“Holy monkey-face what the hell are you doing here?”

“You prick, of course I'm gonna eat here!”

Siwon places my orders on the tray and Kyuhyun apparently notices that it's for two people. .

“My my, who are you with, monkey-face?”

“Can you stop calling me that? I'm with that guy.” I turn my eyes to Donghae, who manage to surprise me because hell, he's still looking here. Did I piss him off that bad or what? “He’s the one I'm telling you about.”

Kyuhyun leanns on my ear and whispers, “Congratulations on your first boyfriend. Be sure to have some condoms later, okay?”

I hiss at him. “Kyuhyun! He's only tutoring me, okay? And please don't screw this up even more for me by being noisy.”

He doesn't look convinced at my excuse but he gives up his stand. “That's a shame. If you need some help, I'm here, and” He lowers his voice, “take him out on a movie and do some miracle in the back of the cinema, okay?”

He groans at the slap I gave to him. Hmp, he deserves it, at least. I pick up the tray while saying goodbye to those two dorks with a smile. Donghae’s eyes are still on me though. What the heck?

 

 

 

 

“Who's that?”

“W-Who?”

“The one with dimples.”

“Ah...uhm...ah...that's Siwon...my friend...”

“He seems to be close to you.”

“Uh...yeah...I-I guess?”

 

 

 

 

Donghae and I went to business right after we finished eating. I'm now in this misery of facing my Algebra book. At least I can act all stupid to spend more time with him.

“Hyukjae, are you with me?” Donghae says and only did I know that I'm spacing out, thinking of ways how I can get him to be with me after this.

“Uh...I-I...ah...s-sorry...can you repeat it again?” I glance down at the book. Don't look at me please. My cheeks will start to heat up again.

He suddenly places his hand on mine. My heart freezes at this act of him. Why is he doing this to me?

“You don't have to be sorry, okay? And please, be comfortable with me like how you are with your friends back there.”

Oh, so he noticed how I always squirm when I'm under his gaze? Or how I stutter whenever I reply to him? Well...

“Did I do anything that will make you feel uneasy?” Says his follow-up question.

“No!” I cry out while I shake my head. “I-It's not like that.”

“I'll believe you. So...shall we get back to this?” He points to my book and I spend my next three hours learning how to factor those damned polynomials.

P.S. I already know most of the lessons from the start.

P.P.S. I took my Algebra subject last semester so this tutoring lesson is basically useless.

 

 

 

 

Donghae, are you a square number? Because my love for you is exponential.

What.

Hyukjae, you didn't just use a math pick-up line.

I'm relieved I only said that in my mind. Who knows what could have happen if I did say it out loud.

Donghae and I are currently packing our things to wrap up this session, and there's this clear ache in my heart because I'm sure we wouldn't ever meet again after this. His dad finished his job on me ever since Donghae took over him, besides, Donghae probably is weirded out by me and my half-assed attempts to talk to him.

I didn’t realize that I'm gripping the book a little too much and that I'm staring into space until Donghae faked a coughing sound.

“Hey, Hyukjae.” He calls for my name and my mind drifts off somewhere again; I'd surely miss him calling my name with that deep voice of his. “Are you okay?”

No I'm not...

Still, I give him a nod and gets back to packing my bag. I zip it and place it on my shoulder while Donghae’s already standing beside me.

“I-I guess that's goodb—“ My phone suddenly rings, cutting me off from my dramatic farewell.

“Uh...I...uh...excuse me for a bit.”

Donghae smiles in acknowledgement and I try to smile back at him before I walk a couple of meters away. I take my phone out and realize it's only Kyuhyun calling me. What the hell? Doesn't he work here?

“Ya, why are you calling me, huh? We're practically under the same roof, you know?”

“Well sorry if I just wanted to help you get that guy in your pants, but okay, I'm hanging—“

“W-Wait!” I stomp my feet on the floor as the excitement rushes.

“What?”

“You said you’ll help me.”

“Yes, but you said...”

“Please help me, Kyu,” I start to whisper, who knows if Donghae decides to snuck up behind me and gets to know that I'm very much smitten by him. “I've been really frustrated because I can't even engage in a proper conversation with him without stuttering. I can't even look at him in the eye!”

“And that's the thing,” Kyuhyun exclaims. “You have to be a bit bold, so he’d know what your intentions are.”

“But I'm sure he already knows about my, well, intentions, because I act like a woman when I'm with him!”

“But you are a .”

“Ah, right, I forgot.”

“Never mind, let's get back to business,” I hear him pause for a second. “At least you can get him hooked by being bold. No one gets interested in a guy who can barely even talk to them properly, you know.”

“Yeah, I know, I know,” My voice starts to get a bit louder due to the annoyance for myself creeping up on me. I didn't even know that I'm violently flailing my free arm all over until I see the weird stares of people near me. Great. “But it's not as easy as you think!”

“Well, dude, it up. And oh, I did tell you to take him out on a movie, right? Take him out now before you go boo-hoo when he leaves now.”

“Yeah, fine, that's just a blatant way of asking him out.”

“I also told you to be a bit bold, didn't I? Just tell him your friend couldn't make it so he has no choice but to accompany you, you get me?” By the tone of his voice, I think he and his lecture is about to end.

“Yeah thanks, man. Good—“

“Besides, I can't stand your sad face. You look indigested. Bye.”
With that, I lock my phone and place it back on my pocket. Donghae’s still there, but he's already outside waiting for me. I take a deep breath before I start to walk forward to him.

Tapping his arm, he turns his body, facing me, and asks, “Who was that?”

Confident, Hyukjae, be confident and stop stuttering. “Just my friend. He's cancelling our plans.” I pout a little bit to make my acting skills more convincing.

Donghae raises an eyebrow, probably in curiosity. “And what plans are those?”

“We're supposed to go to the cinema today after this and watch the newest horror movie, but then he suddenly said to me that he's on a date with hid boyfriend.” I heave a big sigh, trying to look as disappointed as possible. I'm sure I look stupid now. I in acting. Kyuhyun, I should have never listened.

This lovely brunet says otherwise, “No problem, I can be your date too, if you'll allow me?” He grins at me and I swear my brain had a short-circuit inside me.

Holy .

He just didn't.

Oh my god.

Don't stutter! Don't stutter!

“I...uh...no...ah-ah...I mean...yes! I-I’d l-love to...” Of course I'll allow you!

Talking about stopping yourself from stuttering. Can't help it. Donghae’s making this too hard for me.

 

 

 

 

The horror movie idea is basically genius. Gone were Donghae’s cool exterior and came in was his adorable personality aka I hate-horror-movies-and-I-always-latch-myself-on-the-person-next-to-me-because-I-don't-want-to-see-the-next’scene.

I had him and his arms all over me as he settled is face on my neck, tickling my skin and it took all of my self-control to avoid kissing him back there. He kept on whispering ‘Hyukjae, Hyukjae, please don't let go of me’ ‘please don't let me see them’ and he also flinched when he heard jump scares from the movie. I felt kind of bad for making him go somewhere he didn't want to but he didn’t even say that horror movies scare the heck out of him in the first place.

It was also a bit of a confidence boost? I don't know, I felt like out roles were reversed and he's suddenly the shy, nervous one.

Now we're in McDonald’s, munching on all these unhealthy food. Donghae pretty much calmed down when we went out of the cinena and he's now happily biting on his fries.

“What?” He asks when he notices my gaze is on him.

“Nothing.” I smile at him.

“I swear, Hyukjae, if this about earlier, I'm punching you right in the face.” Donghae threatens and my heart coos on the sight of him with his lower lip slightly jutted out in a pout.

“Why? You're cute.” I sport a massive giggle fit just trying to remember how he attached himself to me like a leech. Not like I'm complaining.

“At least you're comfortable with me now, huh?”

I didn't reply to him, as I didn't know what to, and instead went back on eating my burger out.

“I’d like to get to know you more, Hyukjae.”

Oh no, is he going to pop the ‘will you be my boyfriend’ question?

“Uh...yeah...so...” Suddenly, I'm being shy again.

“So let's play ‘would you rather’!” He tells me with that enthusiastic tone. Guess what, I'm in the friend zone. I thought...

I hope I'm not looking too disappointed now as I reply ‘sure’ to him.

“I'll start!” He starts to look concentrated on thinking about questions as I think about mine too. “Hmm...would you rather live a thousand years or live ten lives that last a hundred each?”

“I’d like to live ten lives, to be honest.”

“Why?” He sips on his coke while his eyes are on me.

“Experience, and at least I get to be younger again.”

Donghae nods, “Well, you got a point. Your turn.”

“Would you rather get up early or stay up late?”

He laughs for a short second and grins, a mischievous look on his eyes. “Considering my age, you'll know the answer.” Donghae winks at me. Goodness.

“And I’d rather not know the reason why you stay up late,” Wow, did I just flirt? “Your turn.”

It went on like that for about an hour, with me and Donghae starting to pop weird questions such as that ‘would you rather to have hair nowhere on your body or be hairy all over and not be able to shave’ question from him, to personal ones like ‘would you rather date a hunk or a hot woman’ again, that question is from Donghae, to even more and a lot more personal—‘would you rather have someone watching you have or watch someone having ’ and that's from me, surprise, surprise, shy Hyukjae is nowhere to be found.

Apparently, Donghae knew that I’d rather be hairy all over as I think that it's a man’s pride to be...hairy, plus I have a bad experience in shaving; He also knew that I prefer the D than a sizzling hot woman, which still makes me blush now that I'm remembering the scene. At least I get to know that Donghae’s a human being who’d like to have someone watching him have . I guess I’d call it quits.

We're now walking to my neighborhood, actually just got off of the bus, and he insisted earlier that he should take me home. Our hands are sliding against each other, and it makes my heart pound when he takes the courage to hold mine.

“I had fun today.”

“Me too.” I hope I got him interested in me...

A few steps later and now we already reach my house. I face him with a small smile on my lips. “So...it's goodbye for now huh?”

Donghae looks just as upset at me, with how that naughty glint in his eyes are gone, or so I hope. “Yeah...see you when I see you?”

I gather all the courage I have and proceed on kissing him on the cheek. Be bold, said Kyuhyun's voice in my head. “Thank you for giving me your time today.”

“It's fine. I hope I wasn't that bad of a teacher.”

I laugh at him. “No, you are, in fact an excellent teacher and companion. And even if you're bad, it wouldn't matter, because I don't take Algebra in the first place.” I drop the bomb and it's fun to watch his shocked face, his mouth opens and closes as if he wants to say something he can't put in words.

“Goodbye, Donghae. I'll text you later.”

With that, I open the gate while I wave goodbye at his, very much, mind blown face.

 

 

 

hello donghae. i hope u got home safely :)

you liar !!

what????

You're so sly hyukjae

sorry >< did i piss u off????

your efforts made you look even more adorable ;)

don't say that ><

why can't i? i like you.

O__o!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sorry if i made you uncomfortable with my confession :(

i like u too actually.

good. 'cause i'm taking you out on another date next week.


 A/N: here's hyukjae's pov ^^ i hope i didn't disappoint anyone. ah, it's been late since i got sick last week :( thank you for reading ♡

 p.s. this is also another prompt i got from fanficy-prompts @ tumblr. check them out if you wanna be inspired in writing :)

prompt: