chapter 1

girlfriend material

+ yeeun. yeeun's older brother dating seungyeon

  "You're pathethic," Yeeun told him. It was 5 o'clock in the evening, and instead of enjoying her favourite music show like every other week, she is forced to watch some sappy drama because her older brother messed up. Said guy was currently lying on the couch with a bowl of cheetoes, wrapped in a blanket and cheeto dust flying everywhere. "Mum is going to kill you."

  "Shut up," Sebin snorted, throwing a cheeto at her.

  "I thought you had that big movie night with Seungyeon," Yeeun said, snatching the remote from her brother, and switching the channel to her watch her favourite idols dance. Oh good, she hadn't missed BIGBANG coming on. Ignoring the glare coming her way, she made herself comfortable on the lounge chair.

  "She has a date," he said, sulkily.

  "You two broke up?" Yeeun asked, surprised. She suspected the couple having some troubles when the older girl hadn't dropped by their house in a while, but she thought they would have worked it out by now. For some reason, Seungyeon always took whatever crap Sebin had. It's different for Yeeun, she's practically forced to live with him for the next few years. But Seungyeon was an angel, and seemed to have a knack of dealing with her older brother.

  "I told you, we were never together," Sebin told her, before stuffing himself with a fistful of cheetos. "She's seeing some older, more mature guy."

  "Can you blame her?" Yeeun said, scrunching her nose in disgust. "You're an idiot."

  He sighed sorrowfully, leaning his head back, "I am, aren't I?"

  "Yes, you are," Yeeun said, affirmatively. She snuggled back to enjoy the show.

  This proved difficult when her brother continued, leaning up on the arm rest, "I mean, there's this great girl who I've liked for years and when I'm finally ready to tell her, some guy swoops in and decided to ask her out for coffee. Coffee?!"

  Yeeun turned to her brother annoyed. It's bad enough he's finishing up the cheetos, must he ruin her TV time as well?

  "You know, she doesn't even drink coffee?"

  "No, really," she replied in a monotone voice.

  "Yeah, the only reason she said yes was because she found him cute," he said, mockingly. "He's not even that cute. I'm cuter."

  "Look, if this bothered you so much, why don't you just go and tell her?" Yeeun asked. "Why are you just sitting her telling me all this? If you really like her, just go and tell her."

  "I told you. she's on-"

  "-the date, I know," Yeeun finished for him. "So? Go! Do it like the movies. Be romantic, be impulsive. Crash their date right now, and tell her that you want her, before the other guy does."

  "But-"

  "Do you really want to be beaten by that guy again?" Yeeun asked.

  "No." Seeing the umimpressed look his little sister was giving him, he repeated himself, "No! I'm not gonna let some old guy take my girl away! You're right! I'm gonna see her right now."

  "Um, you might want to change," she said, gesturing to his cartoon boxers and his cheeto covered shirt.

  "Right, I'm gonna change, and then I'm gonna ask Seungyeon to the dance," Sebin shouted, as he climbed up the stairs two steps at a time. "And she's gonna say yes!"

  Yeeun could only smile and shake her head as she turned back to the TV.

  

+ tzuyu. dahyun has a crush on vernon who had a crush on tzuyu.

  Being the new exchange girl isn't as exciting as the movies always made it seem. For one, all the exchange students has to take an extra class everyday after school to learn and improve the local language. By the end of it all, Tzuyu just really wanted to head home. But the plan seemed to be thrown out the window when a brunette immediately ran up to her, hanging off her arm grinning from ear to ear.

  "Did he do it? Did he ask you yet?" Chaeyoung asked, excitedly. Before Tzuyu could ask what she was talking about, the girl quickly said, "He's coming! You have to tell me everything."

  She could only watch in confusion as the girl walked on ahead with a knowing grin. She was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard someone called her, "Tzuyu, can I talk to you?"

  A guy she recognized from the exchange program came up to her. From the looks of it, he didn't seem to be from the Asian continent, maybe America? She's not entirely sure, she hadn't gotten around to getting to know everyone in the program. The only thing she's sure is that he's older. She doesn't remember a foreign guy her age in the program.

  He shuffled his feet together, "I just wanted to ask if you had a date to the dance."

  Tzuyu shook her head, quietly and smiled softly when she saw him nod his head nervously. Was this what Chaeyoung meant earlier? She wasn't sure how important the dance is around here, but back home, she would just go with her friends. She'd never imagined anyone actually asking her. Guilt filled her up when she realized she can't even put a name to his face. She had a few guesses in her head. But she hoped he would somehow mention his name, or she'd have to ask Chaeyoung and who knows how long the other girl would hang it over her head.

  "Yeah, I was wondering," he begin, and stopped. He frowned, as if mulling something over. Tzuyu shifted uncomfortably as she waited. She wondered what was going through his head right now. He looked at her, thoughtfully and asked her, "You don't know who I am, do you?"

  "You're Vernon?" she said, unconsciously forming it as a question. She smiled apologetically, hoping it came across as sincere.

  "Yeah, and I'm also a foreign exchange student like you," he added. "If that helps."

  Tzuyu pursed her lips together, an apology right at the tip of her tongue. But for some reason, it won't came out.

  "I'm sorry this is stupid," Vernon said, scratching the back of his head. "Can you excuse me?"

  Tzuyu could only nod quietly as he brushed past her.

 

+ yeri. joy and sungjae get together.

  "Joy!" Yeri called, waving the older girl towards them. But then, Joy simply waved towards them before following the guy she was with the other way.

  Wendy can't help but smile at the confused and crestfallen look on the younger's face. She told her, "Joy has a boyfriend now. I don't think she'll have time for us."

  "But that's okay, we're here," Seulgi added in.

  "Since when did Joy get a boyfriend?" Yeri said, trying not to act like a petulant child. She hated when the others treated her like that, even now when both Seulgi and Wendy are trying to comfort her.

  It didn't bother her that Joy had gotten a boyfriend. It bothered her that Joy didn't tell her. Yeri told her everything, why won't Joy tell her that she was dating. Yes, there was a certain between them. But last she knew, Joy was busy with exams and Yeri had seen her less and less this past month. Can Joy really have gotten a boyfriend within a month?

  "Who cares about Joy?" Wendy said, changing the subject. Yeri barely paid attention, even when the two older girls dragged her to some bakery she's never heard off.

 

+ yein. kei is dating her ex.

  Yein wasn't sure how such an innocent meeting can create such a hassle in her life. She fixed her beanie, brushing back a strand of her, staring at the other girl. Technically, she never met the girl before this. Though Yein has seen her around. If she's not mistaken the girl is older than her.

  "Yein," the girl said, clearly surprised to see her. Something flashed through her eyes, disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

  "Do I know you?" Yein asked, slowly.

  "I'm Jiyeon," she replied, offering out her hand. "I've heard about you from a...friend."

  Yein said nothing about the pause in the middle and simply smiled back, "Are you waiting for the bus too?"

  "Yeah I guess."

  "You don't sound certain."

  "I usually ride with a friend," Jiyeon admitted. "First time taking the bus."

  "It's not so bad. Kind of like riding the school bus," Yein told her. "Accept you know, you have to press the red button if you actually want to get off. Or else you'll end up in town."

  "You know, you don't seem as bad as they say," the oler said, smiling lightly.

  Yein wasn't sure how to react, instead settling for, "...thanks?"

  Jiyeon laughed lightly, and the two girls found themselves talking until the bus arrived.

 

+ arin. binnie struggling over lost love.

  "They really like each other don't they?" Binnie asked, quietly watching the couple whisper together.

  Arin could only hum and rub the other girl's arm comfortingly. She had promised not to get involved with any of the romance drama her friend finds herself in. But with every passing day only with Binnie slowly losing herself, Arin wondered if there was even a way to help her friend get over the jerk.