1/2

Understanding Lover.

Call it fate, or call it misfortune, but Hong Bin’s life wasn’t a normal one. Sadly for the boy, he turns from a boy to a girl, three days every week, without a way for him to stop it. At the beginning the differences between the girl and boy were barely seen but once he became twelve, the girl form became showier and he ended up dropping school because he got into troubles he couldn’t handle.

He grew used to hiding as a girl and living normally as a boy. After all, he knew he was a boy. The best part was that he turns only on Thursdays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. So he had wild weekends where he go out on weekend trips with his brother’s friends, and sneak back in Monday without them noticing anything strange. “Let’s go for a week trip to Jeju! We will use some healing time.” Hak Yeon suggested while Hong Bin paled.

“I can’t go out of my shot days.” He whined, looking at Taek Woon for support. For some reasons unknown to many, Hong Bin and Taek Woon seemed to be much in love with each other but they rarely interacted or showed affection.  

“Let your brother handle it.” Sang Hyuk insisted. “He can give you the shots.” Taek Woon nodded to Hong Bin, hoping to have the man around too. But once they were alone at night, Jae Hwan freaked out. “What if they discover everything?”

“I’ll lock myself in the room and you tell them to not bother me.” Hong Bin said sleeping on his brother’s bed. “I would use my chance to sleep.” Jae Hwan pouted to him. “Relax. It will kill their doubts on those days. Ok? It’s just a week.”

“If you see so.” Jae Hwan packed and prepared himself for the worst. Thankfully they headed to the hotel room by Friday night and seperately, so the situation went smooth for Hong Bin until Monday night, as it kicked in and he went to his room early. Taek Woon didn’t expect it but once he reached Hong Bin’s room, he could hear muffled groans of pain. Jae Hwan’s voice was clearly soothing his brother’s pain.

“It will last for few hours, hold on.” Hong Bin whined and the man could clearly hear him sob.  He suddenly noticed Hak Yeon, Won Shik and Sang Hyuk observing him worriedly.

“Hong Bin is having a hard time.” Teak Woon told them before knocking. “Hong Bin, Jae Hwan, it’s me.”

Jae Hwan showed up and pushed Taek Woon out of the door. “Please don’t disturb Hong Bin. He needs to have a clear mind set and noticing you sensing his pain will stress him out and it won’t help him at all.”

“What cause him such pain?” Sang Hyuk asked Jae Hwan worriedly and the man shook his head.

“He won’t like it if you knew. He wanted you to treat him like a normal human being, so please keep doing so.” Sang Hyun nodded to Jae Hwan’s request. “I’ll go stay by my brother’s side, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

This is how he covered up his absence the Tuesday, Thursday, but in Friday, Taek Woon worried a lot. Hong Bin looked super fine in the other day and he couldn’t get what happens to him. On Friday, as soon as Jae Hwan showed up for Lunch, Taek Woon excused himself to the restroom but ran back to Hong Bin’s room. He knew that once Jae Hwan is out of the picture, Hong Bin will tell him what happen.

However, as he reached Hong Bin room a strange girl left the room wearing Hong Bin’s shirt with a skirt. Her hair was reaching her shoulder and her face was covered up with it as he reached her, bending down to pick her wallet. He fast stepped away to his room, wondering who the hell this girl was. As soon as she walked away, he followed her. She went to the beach, and sat down when Jae Hwan showed up with food. “Hungry?”

“Oppa! You are so mean.” She whined. “You could at least order food before leaving the room.”

“I’m sorry, my little sugar.”  The affection Jae Hwan showed as he observed the girl was similar to the one he showed to Hong Bin and Taek Woon was good at reading people. “I have better go back before they notice and you too. Taek Woon is wondering around, I don’t want you to meet him up.”

“He passed by me, earlier and went to his room. I think he didn’t notice.” The girl said cheerfully. “Once this day ends I will no longer worry for my secret, Oppa.”

“I hope so.” Jae Hwan patted on the girl’s hair. “You don’t deserve that kind of pain. Losing your friends and being treated like a freak by them is something I don’t want you to live again.”

“Don’t worry oppa, I’m old now. This is not primary school or middle school.” Taek Woon couldn’t keep it in and stepped closer.

“What are you doing here, Jae Hwan? This is not time for flirting.” Taek Woon scolded. “Hong Bin is left alone in his room and you are here? The kid didn’t stop groaning the whole night.”

“I am sorry Hyung, I’ll check him out.” Jae Hwan seemed panicking and bowed to Taek Woon before smiling to the girl who stood to dust off her clothes. “See you later, sugar.” She hummed and walked away as Jae Hwan did and Taek Woon made sure Jae Hwan was far enough to stop him from following the girl. She threw the lunch box in the bin, and then ran inside. Taek Woon knew that she will go to Hong Bin room so he ran to it. He noticed her getting out of the elevator from the emergency stairs, and walked fast.

“That was close!” Jae Hwan’s voice stopped Taek Woon in tracks. “He nearly saw your face.”

“Even if, Oppa. My face is different from Hong Bin’s. I’m pretty, he is handsome.” Taek Woon frowned and peaked to look at them. “Don’t you have the key? I will pick mine.” The girl patted her skirt’s pocket. “Oh no… the key. I lost the wallet with my key on it.”

“Don’t worry, it must be in the place you were sitting in.” Taek Woon sneaked out of the place and ran to that spot, he made sure to have the key before they notice which was easy as the wallet was right there. He sat there and closed his eyes when he sensed people standing by his side. “Hyung, did you see a wallet?” Taek Woon picked it and handed them the wallet but before they could pick it, he looked at the girl right in the face. It was true she was pretty but she was so familiar too. He frowned at her then at Jae Hwan.

“I told you to not flirt while your brother needs help.” Jae Hwan looked at the girl worriedly and Taek Woon stood to offer his hand. “I’m Jung Taek Woon, Hong Bin and Jae Hwan’s friend for years.”

“I’m sugar. I heard a lot about you from Hong Bin oppa.” She said with a smile and it was then it clicked, she had Hong Bin’s exact smile. Heck, she was a female version of Hong Bin. “I was called to check on Hong Bin today.”

“I see.” Taek Woon said before offering them to walk them to Hong Bin’s room. Jae Hwan was tense and barely spoke while Hong Bin was a chatting bubble, who seemed happy Taek Woon spoke to her casually. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Sugar. I hope to see you again.”

“It is my last day in Jeju, I’ll leave in few hours, but we can meet up in Seoul if you want to.” The girl smiled lovingly to Taek Woon who blushed without knowing. “I will see you there, someday.” Taek Woon nodded and went to his room, getting in and scotching his ear to the wall. He could hear nothing so he went to the common veranda, Hong Bin’s veranda had a closed door and the curtains were deeming the room in the dark but Taek Woon could clearly hear them out. “It was this close.”

“I am glad he didn’t recognize you Hong Bin, or we will be in trouble.” Jae Hwan scolded. “It was too risky for my liking; seriously.”

Taek Woon sat there, shocked as the conversation carried on. “I knew that someday someone will discover it, Oppa. I prepared myself for it. What can they do? They don’t know when I turn into a girl and when I don’t.” Taek Woon concluded that the days the man spent locked in the room were those days when he turns into a girl. “Besides… I wish I could tell him the truth.”

“Are you mad?”

“Yes, madly in love with him.” She admitted and Taek Woon’s heart froze. “I love Taek Woon oppa, but this secret is what holds me from telling him about my feelings.” She sobbed suddenly. “This is so unfair, Oppa. Why can’t I have a normal life? Why did I turn up like this?”

“Hey, Hong Bin. Don’t cry. You are so lucky to be like this.” Jae Hwan soothed his brother’s cries while Taek Woon found himself crying too, in silence. “You get to know how women think; you get to taste the bitterness and the sweetness of both es. I told you it will help you for your writings if ever you thought of pursuing your dream.”

“Oppa, but I won’t be able to love properly! I won’t have kids! I won’t get a family on my own. I can’t stand this, oppa. I can’t.” Hong Bin was right, Taek Woon remarked. He realized how compromising Hong Bin’s situation was right then. “I can’t get a job, or even continue my studies like the normal people. I’m doomed.” Jae Hwan said nothing, patting on Hong Bin’s back. “If only it wasn’t painful, oppa, I would have thought that it was ok. But those transformations hurt my body.”

“It doesn’t, we checked, in both .” Jae Hwan scolded. “Mom made sure that your bones were strong enough to handle this and this is why she keeps feeding you things when you are a woman and force you into sport, it is for you to survive those things.”

“You are right; I am thankful she does take care of me despite everything.” Hong Bin seemed calming down. “But what I’m going to do about Taek Woon oppa? I don’t want to lie to him again. If I didn’t panic, I wouldn’t lie to him earlier at all.”

“But if he asks for you, what can you do?” Hong Bin didn’t answer and Taek Woon smirked as an idea crossed his mind. He went back to his room, got a shower, dressed up, and knocked Hong Bin’s room. Jae Hwan was shocked to see him.

“Can I see Sugar?” the request surprised them and Hong Bin showed up surprised. “I thought if you are leaving already, you wouldn’t mind drinking a coffee with me before you go. My friends ditched me and this fellow has to take care of his brother.”

“I… he…” Jae Hwan wanted to object but Taek Woon dismissed him.

“I got nothing presentable to wear.” Hong Bin looked down to his clothes.

“You look good on anything, sugar.” Taek Woon smiled, offering his hand. “Let’s go?”

“Now?” Hong Bin looked at his brother worriedly, as he held Taek Woon’s hand. They went to a coffee shop and conversed about books and coffee for few minutes before keeping silent. Taek Woon observed Hong Bin who seemed avoiding his eyes.

“Let’s go a walk.” Hong Bin nodded shyly to it, and they walked out silently until they reached the beach side. “Tell me something I don’t know about Hong Bin.”

“huh?” Hong Bin looked at him, confusion written in his face. “Like what?”

Taek Woon had held Hong Bin’s hand and pulled him close enough to scotch them together. It was the closest Hong Bin even got to Taek Woon in years. “You said you heard a lot about me, what did he told you?”

“He likes you a lot.” Hong Bin blushed. “He tells me how good looking you are, how safe he feels around you.” Safe… it made Taek Woon’s heart shake because he didn’t know how safe Hong Bin was around him now. “He also told me you make the best food.” It beamed Taek Woon heart since Hong Bin praise his cooking skills a lot. “But… why don’t you ask Hong Bin what he thinks of you?”

Taek Woon looked away. “I am not good with words. I fear he may get hurt or something.” Taek Woon looked at Hong Bin, who his beauty shone in the closeness. “You are beautiful.” Hong Bin blushed and looked away. “I said the truth.”

“I know. He said you rarely praise people but when you do it is always sincere.” Hong Bin tried to free himself but Taek Woon’s hold was firm. “But I am not what you think I am.” Taek Woon stopped and faced her. He noticed how sad Hong Bin looked at that moment and leaned to kiss his cheek. “Oppa…”

“I know.” Taek Woon smiled. “I know I have little idea of who you are, Sugar, and I’m thankful you accorded me some of your time.”

“You are welcome.” Hong Bin blushed as Taek Woon pushed his hair behind his ears. “I better go.” Hong Bin nearly ran but Taek Woon held him and leaned to kiss the edge of his lips.

“This is to wish you a safe trip.” Hong Bin blushed and nodded dizzily. “See you in Tuesday?” Hong Bin absently nodded before walking toward the hotel. Taek Woon stood there and smiled. “See you tomorrow, Hong Bin.”