Hanseong, 1423

Tomorrow

 

H A N S E O N G ,  1 4 2 3

J O S E O N   D Y N A S T Y 

 

 

Park Chanyeol and Hwang Yerin were destined to be lovers, tied by the red thread of Soulmates.

Instead, they became martyrs.

 

Their hands were interlaced, tied by a red thread. They were running and running, going farther into the woods that were in the territory of the palace, behind the main building. Mens were shouting in their back, calling them traitors. That was their new statue : traitors. Because they betrayed the Emperor Seungcheol. He was a sovereign. And his brother. And her husband. Betrayal was punished by death. And it was waiting for them.

They knew this was going to happen. They knew their life would be short yet they chosed it. They chose a forbidden love, a burning passion instead of a peaceful life.

And they ended up getting burnt.

 

 

The first time Hwang Yerin met Park Chanyeol, she was impressed by how tall he was. It was the day of her arrival at the palace and also, the day of her wedding with the Emperor Seungcheol, Chanyeol's half-brother. The sun stood high in the cloudless sky, warming the people who stood in the court, waiting for his Majesty to arrive.

Yerin was clenching on her dress, a beautiful red wonsam* with golden cherry blossom sewn on the bottom of it. She was waiting in a small living room for a servant to come and get her. She seemed a little stressed but it was understable : she was only twenty-three and was going to marry the Emperor of the Joseon Dynasty, Choi Seungcheol. A knock on her door made her jump and she bit her red lips in nervousness. "What if he doesn't like me ?" she thought as she stood up and walked towards In Ha, a little woman in a brownish hanbok. If she had waited a few more minutes, she would probably have ruined her sophisticated hairstyle because of her nervous state. When she stepped in the hall, she heard the musicians beginning to play the traditionnal music. Her heart ached. When she passed the doors that lead outside, she was welcomed with blossoms being thrown by domestics. To join her future husband who was observing her with piercing eyes, sitting in his throne at the other side of the court, she had to walk between the people and through the row of the Royal Guard. When she lift her head, following the advice of In Ha, her eyes met a tall man's gaze. He was gracefully standing beside the throne, in a blue luxurious dalryung**. She couldn't take her eyes off him. There was a little sparkle in his dark orbs that mesmerized the young bride. And as she was walking under a rain of flowers, she felt her heart flutter. Then, something tickled her hand and when she looked down, she saw a red ribbon tied around her little finger. She followed with her eyes the thread that lead in front of her and discovered that it was joining the man in the blue clothing. She stood in front of the Emperor Seungcheol but her gaze was fixed on the tall figure beside him. She frowned as a smirk appeared on his lips, slowly turning into a bright smile that made her blush. She bowed and focused on the Emperor that was staring at her.

Nobody seemed to notice the red thread that was linking the two people.

It was her first encounter with the Prince Chanyeol.

But certainely not the last.

 

"C-Chan. Chanyeol. I can't.." She huffed. " I can't run anymore. It's too hard." Her legs were hardly following Chanyeol's steps. Her long white silk négligé make her race more difficult because the branches were gripping onto the clothing and riping it, also scratching her pale skin. Some locks of hair were falling in front of her eyes. Her forehead was covered in sweat and her barefeet were covered with blood and scratches. They ran until they reached a clearing. They were short of breath. "Come on, Yerin. They're going to catch us!" Chanyeol begged, noticing her despondency and pulling her hand. Yerin nodded her head, holding back her tears, and forced her legs to run faster. But her attempt was a failure because she soon tripped over something and fell to the ground, making Chanyeol stop abruptely. He turned his head and gazed the poor girl. The white fabric was covered with dirt, her arms were bruised. "Chanyeol.. P-please, keep running...". She tried to stand up but winced, feeling the stinging pain in her feet. "I'm just a b-burden to you..." The sight was heartbreaking. The young man kneeled down and put a hand on her chin, lifting her head up and wiping the tears with his thumb. He kissed her forehead. She sobbed. He kissed her nose. She sobbed again. And to prevent her from sobbing one more time, he kissed her lips, tenderly. "I love you" he whispered "I won't let you here." His deep voice added: "There's no me without you". She looked into his captivating eyes, where she could feel herself drowing into the memories of the previous months in his company.

 

The room was plunged into a warm glow as the sun went down. Hwang Yerin was sitting at her dressing table, looking in the mirror. "In Ha" Yerin's soft voice called the maid, who was standing behind her, brushing her long black hair. "Do you know what is it and how can I untie it ?". Yerin lifted her pinkie where the red ribbon was hanging, half smiling to the reflection of the woman "I'm sorry, Ma'am but I don't see anything" she replied, while fixing the bun with a binyeo***. Yerin frowned and looked over her shoulder, pointing at the coloured ribbon.

"There, the red thread. I don't know what it is. It's just appeared..." The girl snapped her fingers "like that !"

"I'm sorry I don't see what you're talking about. So please, Ma'am, stop moving. I have to fix your hair for the dinner" Another maid entered the room, bringing her dress. In Ha then proceeded to wrap her figure in a white and pink hanbok and tied the cloth strings. Her hand passed through the red ribbon as she hold the hand of the new Emperess to put the sleeve on. Yerin's eyes widened. "Am I the only one to see it ? Or am I hallucinating right now ?" she thought to herself as she let the domestic lead her in another room, where the dinner would take place. "But I'm sure Prince Chanyeol saw it too, that day. Maybe I should ask him after the feast."

Later, she found the Prince she was looking for at the other hand of the string. He was sitting on a bench, in the garden, enjoying the fresh night. "Prince Chanyeol ?" she bowed at him when he turned his head in her direction. "Hi, Your Majesty" He bowed too, as a sign of respect. "I'm sorry for disturbing you, Prince, but I have something to ask you." He invited her to sit next to him. "I'm listening." His voice was deep, his tone was calm. She took a hold of his hand and placed it next to hers. "What does it mean, that red thing ? I'm confused. I asked In Ha and she said she didn't know what I was talking about, I mean, I'm not crazy and I know that it wasn't around my-" Chanyeol placed a finger against her lips."Stop Yerin"

"Did you just call your Emperess by her name?" she asked teasingly.

"I know that feeling. You want to put your crown aside and be yourself, right? Not Your Majesty, not the Wife of the Imperor. Just you, Yerin"

"Am I that easy to read ?"

"I just feel like I have always known you." Chanyeol replied, his voice was just a whisper. His fingers brushed against hers. Yerin slowly nodded, as she felt the same about him.

 

Weeks had passed since their small talk and since that night, they could feel a connection, though they were already tied by the red ribbon only them could see. When they were in a public area or surrounded by others people, they would only steal glances and exchange shy smiles but when they were alone, they would talk and laugh for ages, as if they were in their own world and nothing could reach them. Sometimes, they would just stare at each other without saying a word, preserving the comfortable silence. When Chanyeol was missing, Yerin would immediately look after him, same for him.

Even if Yerin was known to be rather independent, the presence of Chanyeol soon became vital. He was the only who could make her feel special and normal at the same time. She was not the Emperess Yerin.

She was just Yerin and he was just Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol's arm encircled her waist, holding her tightly.

"I'm sorry, Chanyeol, I'm so sorry" she cried in his chest, gripping on the fabric of his hanbok.

"Don't be, Yerin. We were meant to be" He whispered in her ear, his warm breathe tickled her neck. They were interrupted by the Royal Guard. The soldiers soon surrounded them. They brandished their torches and their sword. Some of them notched an arrow on their bow and aimed it at Yerin. Chanyeol stood in front of her protectively. He felt her shiver. "It's okay" he said while it was clearly not.

"The Emperor ordered us to capture both of you alive" A small man with fierce eyes under his helmet that Chanyeol recognised as the general of the Royal Guard, Moon Byungho, stepped forward and unsheathed his long and sharp saber. "However, he allowed us to kill you in case of resistance. So surrender !"

Chanyeol looked over his shoulder at Yerin who shook her head, tears ran down her beautiful face. He took her hand. "We won't !" He suddenly shouted as he started to run, leading Yerin towards the men who formed a barrier between them and their freedom. With his free hand, he managed to hit one of them and took his sword, without letting Yerin's hand go. He was determined to protect her. Because she was his soulmate.

 

"Meet me at the usual place after the sunset" Yerin read the note waiting on her bed. She recognised the neatly handwriting as Chanyeol's and she couldn't help but smile. They wanted their encounters to be discreet so they decided to leave notes for each others as it was a better means of communication. They choose to meet in the Room of Archives, because Chanyeol was busy there, trying to figure what the red thread meant. Yerin left her bedroom when the stars shone brightly and walked towards the meeting place. It was in the left wing of the palace, the opposite of her room, yet she really wanted to meet Chanyeol. She opened the door and slid in the room. A candle was burning in the corner, proof that someone was here.

"Chanyeol ?" she asked quietly.

She felt a presence in her back and a pair of arms wrapped itself round her body. "Here" She turned over and lifted her head to look at him.

"I have finally found what the red string means ! You won't believe it!" He pointed towards the parchments laid on the little table. "Do you believe in fate?" He asked, his dark gaze met hers. Yerin slowly nodded. "I do too. And I read that the gods tied that invisible red cord around the fingers of those who are destined to meet. They are destined lovers, regardless of place, time and circumstances." Yerin was mesmerized by his words but something in her was off. "But I'm married to the Emperor..." she thought aloud. "I don't care." Chanyeol cup her face "Because I love you." And he kissed her.

Their relation lasted for almost a year before someone of the court revealed their little secret. They cherrished every moment where they were together, whispering their love to each other and proving it by caresses. Chanyeol was right when he said the gods tied those who were destined to meet and be lovers because everytime Yerin was in his company, she thought she had found her real place in the world. They met the day of her wedding and yet, they couldn't help falling for each other.

And there they were, fleeing the cruel reality once again.

 

"Chanyeol !" Yerin's cry echoed between the trees. The young girl ran towards her lover who was busy fighting with the General and who hadn't seen the vicious guard who was aiming his sword at him. He turned over, hearing his name being called by her voice, as she hugged him, making a shield with her body. An unbearable pain spread suddenly through it as she felt the saber sinking into her back. She gasped, wide-eyes. Blood spurted out of . Yerin fell to her knees, her legs not being able to support her body anymore. Chanyeol stared at the blade that was coming out of her stomach.

A red stain blossomed on the white fabric of her dress.

Chanyeol looked at the one responsible and let out a scream of pure anger before aiming his heart. He stabbed every of his brother's guards that was trying to reach him. He was out of control. The only one who could have stop him was lying on the grass, a sword running through her body. When Chanyeol was the last person up, he walked towards Yerin and embraced her body, placing his head on the crook of her neck. He was out of breath and so was she. Her strengh was leaving her body. Before he had the chance to met one last time her gaze, her eyes became empty.

Yerin wasn't anymore. Tears ran down Chanyeol's face as he closed her eyelids, knowing she wouldn't wake up this time. "I'm sorry, Love, I'm so sorry..." he whispered before closing his own eyes, hugging her lifeless body tightly.

In his back, one of the guard, weak yet still able to move, took his bow and loose his last arrow. Right through Chanyeol's heart.

Chanyeol fell next to Yerin. Their hands were interlaced, tied by the red thread, like a promise of their connection in life and in death.

 

 

After all, there wasn't one without the other.

 

 

 

 

*Wonsam : 원삼 the bride wedding dress sonjjang-hanbok

**Dalryung : 단령a traditionnal clothing worn by royal men sonjjang-hanbok

***Binyeo : 비녀 a traditionnal hairpin for fixing ladies' chignon wikipedia

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the first part of this story, I hope you like it ! 

Subscriptionsvotes and comments are appreciated