Chapter 4: Insider

Circular Logic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You ready, Joohyun?” Seolhyun asked, clutching her files tightly to her shoulder, and leaning over Joohyun’s desk. Seolhyun desired efficiency, and if she was able to get what she wanted out of those two suspects just by this interview, she would be a really happy camper.

“Yea,” Joohyun replied, getting into her ‘interrogation mode’ (which was basically her trying to look stern whilst simultaneously realising she was too naturally beautiful to look stern). “You need to be somewhere after this? You seem like you’re in a hurry.”

“Huh?” Seolhyun replied, confused. “Oh, right. You have a good eye indeed. I’m meeting my dad for dinner, and you know how long these interrogations can take.”

“Still close to your parents, eh?” Joohyun chuckled, both of them proceeding closer to the interrogation room. They could already make out the faint silhouette of a young girl inside—resembling pretty much any other girl out there on the street (except for her height lul). “What does your dad work as?”

“Oh, he works at the real estate division in the bank,” Seolhyun casually replied.

“Like, the bigshot director that earns tons of cash?” Joohyun asked, enviously. That would explain why Seolhyun looked so classy all the time.

“Nah. He handles foreclosures and stuff. You know, taking the keys directly from the poor people who can’t repay the bank loan.”

Ah.

---

“We know it’s you, Park Choa,” Seolhyun remarked casually, almost as if it were a god-given fact, much like how the Sun rises from the East, or how Shin Hyejeong is the most beautiful girl on earth. This was her patented interview technique, and guaranteed to spark fear in all but the toughest criminals. “We know it’s you. And we have the evidence. But you, of course, can make it a whole lot easier for us if you confess now.”

“I…I don’t know anything,” Choa replied, her gaze fixated to the ground. “But…but I can promise that I didn’t do the killing!”

“That’s for us to decide,” growled Seolhyun, picking up a file from the table angrily. “Where were you, on Friday night?”

“At…at the bar,” Choa quietly said, still keeping her gaze firmly fixed on the ground.

“Which bar?”

“The one closest to my house.”

Joohyun grinned at Choa’s flustered response, and passed a thin sheet of paper over to Seolhyun.

Grasping it in her hand, Seolhyun stood up violently, and slammed the table. “On this sheet, Park Choa, we have the bartender’s testimony. We had you on our radar already before this latest killing, so we took extra precautions to ask about you.”

Seolhyun leant closer to Choa, and grinned dangerously, whispering something quietly into her ear.

“I…I was at home, Inspector, actually,” Choa stammered, letting out a weak grin, almost begging the two inspectors to accept what she said.

“Can anyone confirm you as being at home, Park Choa?” Joohyun coolly asked, still perched peacefully on her seat. That’s why she and Seolhyun were called the dream team. They perfected the mean guy nice guy interrogation technique.

“No…no,” Choa mumbled, restoring her gaze back to the ground, fear clouding her eyes. She had good reason for doing so, as the dominant Seolhyun continued shooting lasers through her skull.

“You do understand that your answers here are not very convi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter