Foxy Humor

The Complications of Silence

Hongbin sighed, looking around each pen making sure all the animals were groomed and in good spirits.  Today was the opening of the learning exhibit he had been put in charge of.  It was also the first time the Director allowed him to be in charge of anything since the sting ray incident.  He was now in charge of the animals that would be used for field trip education.  A glorified petting zoo; but one he was in more control of.

                There was a small whimper and a scratching of wood.  Hongbin let loose a small whine at Jun.  The small fox had just been nursed back to health after being hit by a car.  Hongbin had spent months with him.  Teaching him how to trust humans, in all sense raising Jun like he would a pet.  Their attachment to each other had gotten stronger in the past month as Jun became more and more active. 

                “What’s wrong Junnie?”  The small red fox whimpered and scratched at the wooden door that was blocking his escape.  “No sir, no special treatment.”  Another whine as the fox sat back giving the door a small paw.  “No, the pouting act won’t work.”  A bark.  “Now that’s not fair!  You can’t use that against me!”  Hongbin stared at the small fox who was now preforming the only trick he ever bothered learning.  Begging.

                “You might as well just let him out now Bin.”  A blue shirt volunteer walked up balancing a large assortment of bowls.

                “Hush Gongchan.”  Hongbin said staring at the fox still.

                “You’re gonna have him next to you most of the time anyway.”

                “Am not!”

                “His harness is on the hook next to you Mr. Not.”  Gongchan snickered and walked away, bowls teetering slightly as he walked. 

                “I hope you fall!”  Hongbin called after him.

                “At least I got someone to pick me up!  All you got is a fox!”

                Hongbin sneered after him, lifting the pin of the fox door.  “Come on Jun, you can be my helper today.”  The fox hopped up and spun in circles excitedly.

~V~

                “Okay, you do this for every field trip.  Only this time instead of kids and a teacher is a good fifty extra.”  He took a breath trying to calm his beating heart.  “No problem.  Just like fifty people, not bad, that’s not bad at all.”  Hongbin continued to mutter to himself, burying his nose into Jun’s soft fur.  “You are a good contribution to this zoo, no yelling at little kids explain the two finger touching rule to avoid sting ray repeat.  You got this.  You got this.”  The little fox squirmed, trying to worm his way back to the floor.  “No sir!  I need optimum cuddles right now!”  The fox struggled more.  “Fine, I am blaming you if I fail though!”  Hongbin set the tiny fox on the floor, grabbing hold of the leash as he did so. 

                “Hey Bin, this order isn’t going to work out.  The otters aren’t playing nice right now.”  Gongchan walked up with the clip board in on hand and an otter with a purple harness curled into his arm.  Behind him a taller man walked up with a second otter in a red harness, keeping a careful distance away from Gongchan.

                “Were they fed?”  Hongbin asked, coming closer to look at the first otter in Gongchan’s arms.

                “Yeah, I don’t know what’s gotten into them.  They never fight.”

                “I still think you put the wrong color harness on them.”

                “Shut up Ken.”

                Hongbin walked around to where Ken was standing, a pout forming on his mouth.  Then looked back at Gongchan before whispering, “How mad will he be if he realizes you’re right?”

                “I’ll be staying at your place for a few days.”  Hongbin nodded.

                “Switch them when he’s not around then.”  Hongbin winked and then more loudly, “we’ll move them to after the lion cubs, hopefully by then they will sort their issue out themselves.”

                “Awesome.  Ok now, how are you?”  Gongchan asked scratching down the otter’s back as Ken slipped off with the other one.

                “What do you mean?”  Hongbin asked, going through his mental check list again.

                “Well its thirty minutes to show time and you don’t have Jun next to you.”

                “What are you talking about?”  Hongbin pulled up the leash, a sinking feeling forming as it stayed slack.  He looked down at his feet, thinking that maybe the fox had just been sitting really close to him, but he was met with nothing, but an unclipped leash.

                “Jun!  !  Close all the doors, if he is back here he has to be in one of the rooms, start searching them one by one, but make sure to keep the doors closed!”  The leash swung in his limp hand as he shouted orders down the hallway.  The slack in it reminding him of a noose every moment his little friend wasn’t there.  “You little devil, where the Hell are you?”

~V~

 

                Taekwoon took his seat next to the excited team leader.  Face a perfect mask of boredom.  Haekyeon was pulling on a smiling Hyuk’s arm, pointed excitedly to the pictures in the pamphlet they were offered when they first entered the arena. 

                “This is going to be so cute!”  Haekyeon said reading the descriptions of every animal out loud.  “I always wanted the zoo to come to my school so I could learn about the animals, but my school never allowed it.  It’s pretty cool to be able to learn and touch some!”  Hyuk smiled at the team leader’s excitement.

                Taekwoon let out a silent tired sigh.  He was excited for the baby animals too, but he was a lot more contained than his FBI counterparts.  He leaned back in the stadium seating, closing his eyes for a brief moment as he listened to the ramblings going on around him.

                There was a small weight that first tapped him, he played it off as Wonshik wanting his attention, before a larger weight plopped into his lap, spinning in circles before settling into a small ball.  Taekwoon peeked open one eye, surprised to find a red ball of cur curled on him.

                “Taekwoon don’t move!  You don’t know if it has rabies.”

                “Yes because an animal with rabies just finds a random stranger to lay down on.  Really Haekyeon?”  Wonshik said.

                “You can’t predict animals Wonshik!”  Taekwoon ignored them as they continued to bicker.  He wrapped a protective arm around the small bundle as he sat up.  Ears perked up in surprise at the movement before pressing back down to its head as it fell back asleep.  Tentatively he ran his fingers across the red fur, noticing the black harness. 

                ‘Must be one of the show animals.’  Taekwoon nodded to himself, lifting the tiny animal to his chest before standing.  Ignoring his still arguing friends as he walked towards the side of the stage.  Hopefully there would be someone to help him there.

                Taekwoon used his free arm as he pulled back the curtain that he assumed would lead him back stage.  The little fox, having deciding what he was doing was more interesting was poking his nose over his arm, staring at his surroundings as Taekwoon moved into a dark hallway.

                Taekwoon pounded his arm against a wall near him, hoping the noise would gather the attention of one of the many workers he had seen ambling about.  His nose scrunched in annoyance as the bang echoed down the hallway, but no one came to investigate the sound.

                ‘Maybe a little further in.’  He sniffed and stepped forward slowly.

                A door opened slightly further down the hall, the small sliver of light showing one person’s shadow as a voice called out.  “Hongbin did you check the hallway by the stage?”

                Another door across from that one opened a sliver as well and a small ‘ok’ sounded before it opened a little wider, a lean shadow quickly moving out before slamming the door shut behind him.  The shadow then began barreling down the hallway.

                “Jun come here you damn fox!”  Taekwoon glanced down at the small bundle, eyes having adjusted to the darkness, he could see the small fox head peaking over his arm, ears perked up, but the fox made no move to get down.

                Taekwoon smiled slightly as the dark shadow stalked pass him, head tilted down as if trying to make out for anything on the floor instead of in front of him.

                “Jun I am so close to using you as a hat!”

                Taekwoon felt the fox bury his nose into the crook of his elbow and gave a small muffled bark.

                “Ah ha!”  The man had stopped, standing very still as he listened for another clue as to where the fox was.  “Come here!  You tiny brat!”  Then much to Taekwoon’s amusement, the shadow knelt on the floor and began crawling along the hallway.

                With only what Taekwoon could assume to be animal amusement, the little fox was once again peeking over his elbow.  The fox, Jun as he now knew him, let loose yet another small bark.  Loud enough to make the man turn, continuing to crawl along the floor, but now heading back towards Taekwoon.

                ‘This is bordering on hilarity.’  Taekwoon smiled as he stood still, watching the shadow now sweeping his arms across the hallway.  Jun’s head popped up and down as the man got closer, finally letting out a loud bark and the shadow was close to Taekwoon’s feet.

                “Ah ha!  I got you!”  Long fingers gently wrapped around his ankle as a head ran into his shin.  “Ow.”  Taekwoon lifted an eyebrow as the man started to pat up his leg.

                “Um, my apologies, but…”

                “Bin!”  There was a click and then the hallway lights flickered on.   “Why are you searching in the dark?”

                Taekwoon blinked at the blinding light lifting his arm to rub at his eyes. 

                “Un.”  The man on the floor was sitting back on his heels, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand.  His other hand still resting on Taekwoon’s thigh.  The brief confusion had Taekwoon staring into the gorgeous wide eyes of a short haired man.

                The little fox popped his head up and gave a happy bark to break the tension.  The man blinked and blushed, hastily pulling his hand from Taekwoon’s thigh as he stood.  “Jun!”  The man reached for the fox and carefully cuddled him.  “Don’t you dare ever scare me like that again!  I was losing my mind!” 

                “And then some.”  Taekwoon looked around at a blue shirted man, the wide smile reminding him very much like a puppy.  “Hello, my name is Gongchan, I’m one of the volunteers here.  The, um loving fox owner, is Hongbin.  Please forgive him, he usually has better manners.  He runs this whole program.”  Taekwoon looked over at the brown haired man, burrowing his nose into the fox’s soft fur.  “And you are?”

                Taekwoon’s eyes went wide.  ‘.’