Loving the Monday Couple

4 words (One- Shot Series) + TAKING REQUESTS!

[A/N]Hi guys! First up thank you all for commenting and sending in your requests also I am really sorry for being so late with this. School is really kiling me and I really appreciate it for all your support. So, let's get this new series started!

Requested by: iamrainy (thank you!) 'loving the Monday couple, kang Gary n song jihyo, high school sweetheart'


[Gary's POV]

I opened my eyes to the sound of my noisy alarm clock. My eyelids still felt heavy and I just wanted to sleep a little longer. I streched out my hand to find my alarm and snoozed it. Just as I thought I could get a few more minutes of sleep, my phone rang. Who would it be at this time of the day?

"Hello?" my voice sounded so hoarse.

"Kang Gary you'd better get up right now! You promised to send me to school today! Don't slack anymore you coach potato or else...." a familiar voice greeted me.

"JiHyo, don't I deserve a couple more minutes of sleep? I slept at 2am last night trying to complete Mr.Ji's maths assignment."

"Well, serve you right! Mr.Ji gave that assignment 2 weeks ago, it's your fault for slacking off again. Besides, I've been constantly reminding to finish it. Anyways, no more excuses and get up. I'll be at your house at 7." The line went dead after that.

Song JiHyo, that girl is always nagging at me. 

Eventually, I got up from bed and streched my entire body while breathing in the air of a Friday morning which somehow smells like pancakes. Guess mom is preparing pancakes today.

I got ready, kept my bags, changed into my uniform and went downstairs. The scent of pancakes getting stronger and I saw my mom cooking diligently at the kitchen.

"Morning mom."

"Morning Gary! Have yourself some pancakes first, I'm preparing extra for JiHyo. She's coming over later right?"

"Mom, we're going to school together later. As soon as she gets here, you are leaving so there is no need to overwork yourself."

"Gary, you know she is like family to us besides it's just a couple of pancakes. It won't be much work. Now sit down and have your pancakes."

I just quietly head to the table and had my pancakes, mom prepared chocolate pancakes today which is JiHyo's favourite. I wondered if she purposely made it just to suite her. My mom really pampers JiHyo, she treats her as her own child. Well, I can't blame her, she always wanted to have a daughter but in the end she is stuck with me also she says caring for one child is already hard enough so there is no way she would want to have 2 kids however ever since JiHyo came into my life. My mom just treats her as the daughter she never had.

How did JiHyo and I meet? Well, truth be told she lives right across the street. We met right when she moved in and then she went to same elementary school as me so we just instantly became friends. Over the years, our friendship grew and now we are 16 both studying in Running High and are best friends with each other.

By the time I was about to start eating, the doorbell rang at 7am sharp, JiHyo is known to be punctual. When I opened the door, JiHyo was standing there and said,"Wow, you actually managed to get up. Not bad."

I replied,"Good morning to you too."

We both walked in and my mom had already finished making all the pancakes. 

"Hi, auntie! The pancakes smell delicious."

"Oh hi JiHyo! Thank you, you sound have some. I made chocolate pancakes today, I know you like them."

"It's alright auntie, I have already taken my breakfast but I will bring some to school besides we have to reach there by 7.30 so we have to leave soon."

As soon as JiHyo kept the pancakes in a container, we both said goodbye to my mom and left for school.

"Aish, Gary can you please drive better you are such a lousy driver."

"Says the person who doesn't even have a license and besides I am an excellet driver."

"Excellent?! You almost hit that car just now."

"That was only one small mistake."

"One small mistake can cost us our life, so drive carefully. When I get my license I will definitely drive better than you. Just you wait."

Typical JiHyo, she is always so bold, straightforward and adventurous. Not like me, I am just an average boy that does almost nothing. Everyone is our school knows who JiHyo is and I am just 'the guy that is always with JiHyo'. JiHyo is like the most popular girl in Running High, she excels in her studies, participates in multiple clubs and her personality makes her stand out even more. Most of the guys like her but she has always rejected every single one of them. So that kind of makes me the envy of everyone because JiHyo only hangs out with me. She has friends too but I'm the one that always hangs out with her.

We reached school at 7.20am as we both got down from the car. Everyone was already looking at JiHyo, some people had called out her name just to greet her. She just waved really cooly, like a salute making the guys fall for her even more and girls envy her even more.

We headed down to the hallway and I could tell all eyes were on JiHyo. Some girls even whispered,"Look it's the Hyory duo."

Hyory duo? I didn't even know that everyone called me and JiHyo like that.

We both headed to our lockers which just happens to be side by side. I have English for first period and JiHyo had Biology.

"Meet me at the canteen during first break, I can't finish your mom's pancakes by myself. She prepared too much." Then she went off.

Classes were like usual nothing much, today's English class was about Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and what inspired him to write this play etc. Soon after, it was already the first break and I headed straight to the canteen, I know JiHyo hates waiting. 

As I entered, I spotted JiHyo immediately. How could I not, she was waving frantically like a madmen. I went it front of her and grabbed her hand,

"You can put your hand down now. You look like a madmen from far away."

There wasn't much people in the canteen yet since it was only first break but the look on JiHyo's face caught my attention.

"You are up to something aren't you?"

She gave me a very mysterious smile.

[JiHyo's POV]

I've been dying to tell Gary an idea that I thought of last night but only picked now to tell him. 

A couple days ago, I heard some freshman talking about my relationship with me and Gary. They even called us the Hyory duo. Like seriously what type of name is that? They were sitting by the big oak tree at the school's lawn so I thought I'd sit behind the tree and hear them. I have to admit I am very curious to what people say about Gary and me. 

"Do you think those two will date?"

Hmmm, will Gary and I ever date. I mean he is my best friend, I'd choose him over anyone but he is a boy and I am a girl. Will we ever date? 

And then just like that a lightbulb lighted up in my head.

So that recess, I choose a seat at the corner. When Gary entered, I was waving like crazy even when he saw me I didn't put down my hand at all.

"You can put your hand down now. You look like a madmen from far away."

When he saw my face, he knew something was up.

"You are up to something aren't you?"

"Have a seat first, we will talk when we are eating."

So after having a few bites of Gary's mom's chocolate pancakes which taste delicious! They are my favourite. I asked him.

"I wonder what will it be like if we ever got togther?"

"Us? Together? Awww you are making me blush"

I punched him,"Don't get too full of yourself. But seriously have you even wondered what would it be like? We have known each other for so long."

"JiHyo are you asking me out?" he said as he was taking a sip from his water.

"No but do you want to try something? I called it the Monday couple."

He spat his drink when he heard those words, "What?!"

"It will be easy, let's just act like a couple every Monday from now on. Just on Mondays, Tuesdays to Sunday you will be Kang Gary my best friend again. What do you think? Deal?"

I could see that he hesitated for a while but soon a smile formed on his face.

"Deal."

[Gary's POV]

JiHyo and her crazy adventures. She always can come up with these weird ideas and just like to have fun with it. It is not the first time, she one tried a concept called 'House Appliances Outfit' where she would wear house appliances as her clothes. She only stopped because the school gave her a warning, if they didn't she would be wearing cardboard now.

But this Monday couple idea? I have to admit, I am shocked and just well can't believe what she just said.

Does she realise that there will be consequences? Judging from her face I guess the answer is no. But I can't just reject her so yeah why not? This might be interesting.

The rest of school for that day felt like nothing because I just kept thinking about JiHyo's crazy idea. I mean how did she even come up with an idea called'Monday couple'? It's absurd.

When we were driving home, I asked her.

"Are you serious about that Monday couple thing?"

"Dead serious. Let's go to the mall this Sunday."

"What for?" She looked at me like I am dumb.

"To buy some couple stuff to bring on Monday silly. How can we become a couple without having any couple stuff at all."


That Sunday, JiHyo was dead serious about buying couple stuff. She 'dragged' me all the way to the mall and we bought like tons of stuff.

Couple t-shirts, couple jackets, couple bracelets, couple shoes, couple rings, couple phone casings. You name it. 

And to be honest, when we were buying these things my heart did flutter a bit. I don't know why, maybe because I have never done this with a girl before but then JiHyo is not an ordinary girl too. 

We stopped for a lunch break at 12.30 because I don't think I can keep up with this any longer. Why do girls always have the strength to shop for so long. We had lunch at a pizza restaurant and ordered a pepperoni pizza. 

While eating, JiHyo had got some sauce on her chin so out of habit I had helped her to wipe it. Suddenly, a lady who was probably in her mid 40s who sat next to us said,"What a cute couple."

I was just about to tell her that we weren't but JiHyo had already said,"Thank you."

Why didn't she tell her that we weren't? 

We left the mall around 2pm because apparently we had bought all the stuff that we needed. Which to me is still A LOT of stuff. On the way back, I had asked JiHyo why didn't she tell the lady at the pizza restaurant that we weren't a couple.

"Because if I did tell her that we were just friends it would have looked weird and she would just question us and stuff. So I just said yes to make sure things don't get complicated."

[JiHyo's POV]

Ok, confession time. I have a huge crush on Gary.

Yes, Gary MY BEST FRIEND. I mean how weird is that? I didn't even know that I liked till recently where I would start caring for him more and get a little jealous when he talks to other girls. I would get happy when I he texts me and just get emotional over him.

However, everyone knows that girls hardly confess to the guy they like because there is a 99.99% chance that those two will never be friends again and I don't want that to be me and Gary. So I came up with the next best solution which is my Monday couple idea. At least every Monday I could still be his girlfriend. 

When we went shopping, it was just amazing. I had never had a boyfirend before too so it was nice to go out and shop with him. Especially when the lady at the pizza restaurant complimented us, I was like AWWWW YEAH!

But the excuse that I told Gary was kind of lame, what if he catches on that I am something. What if he knows that I like him? I'd better be careful with my words from now on.


[Gary's POV]

That night, JiHyo texted me. 

[A/N] Green for Gary. Pink for JiHyo.

Hey tomorrow is Monday couple day 1. Are you excited for it.

More like frightened, tell me again why did I let you drag me into this.

Because I am your best friend and rumours are starting to spread like crazy so let's give them what they want.

But how are we suppose to answer when they are what is 

Just say that we are the Monday couple.

Easier said that done and you think they will buy that idea.

They'd better. Besides we will be best friends again by Tuesday so they should get the big picture by then.

Alright then. Also what are we gonna wear tomorrow.

Wear that white shirt with stripes plus the denim jacket. Also remember the put on the couple casing and wear that couple bracelet.

Sure thing so I'll see you at school tomorrow.

Excuse me, you are my Monday Boyfriend, you are suppose to fetch me. 

Alright, alright I'll pick you up at 7 tomorrow. Goodnight :)

Goodnight :)


By 7am, my car was already at her driveway. When she exited her house, she looked really pretty and lovely in our couple outfit. She curled her hair at the end. I have to admit she looks really beautiful makes me want to hug her.

Wait what am I thinking? Kang Gary, keep your mind straight, she is only your Monday girlfriend not for real. Stop thinking these thoughts.

I tried to distract myself while driving and was humming some random songs that came into my head. 

When humming didn't work, I was thinking about random facts.

Thinking about the weather,

thinking about that noisy advertisement in the radio,

thinking about how I should get my car cleaned,

thinking about how I should make JiHyo mine.

Wait, what?

I have been thinking about JiHyo lately, but I never realized till now that well,

I like her. 

A smile creeped across my face.

"What are you thinking?"

Shoot, I must have smiled too wide.

"Nothing really, just thought of a funny video that I watched last night."

"What video?" asked a curious JiHyo.

"You wouldn't get it anyway." I brushed her off.

She gasped. "No way, you can't be possible watching THOSE videos right?"

"JiHyo-ah, please don't make up random scenarios right now and ruin my perfectly organized image."

"You? A perfect image? Please don't get me started."

And we bickered like an elderly married couple until we lost track of time and entered the school's parking lot.

We both quiet down when I turned off the engine. After a few seconds, I broke the ice.

"JiHyo, I'm kinda nervous about this insane idea you have."

"Well, we both are here now. There is no backing out from this. Ready?"

She streched her hand out, I grabbed on.

"Ready."


We both walked into the school's hallway hand in hand.

Gasps and whispers all surrounded us as we walked past.

"OMG, are they finally dating?" "I guess JiHyo is off the market now." "Awww they look so sweet." and so much more.

Well, well this idea is not so bad maybe I'll be closer to JiHyo. Maybe it means I am a step closer to make JiHyo mine.

[JiHyo's POV]

I admit walking in with Gary hand in hand is kinda exciting. I couldn't help but smile while hearing everyone's gossip.

While we were walking halfway, a girl stood in front of us.

"Song JiHyo! Are you kidding me? Why didn;t you tell me something this big!!!" exclaimed a overreacting ChaeEun(my BFF)

"Relax, ChaeEun. It's not what you think it is."

"You two are holding hands and wearing couple t-shirts right now. How can it NOT BE what I am thinking."

"We are the Monday couple aka we only get together every Monday."

ChaeEun stood there, mortified before bursting into laughter.

"Song JiHyo, you and your crazy ideas. I feel so sorry for Gary."

Gary laughed and said it was no big deal.

And out of the blue, ChaeEun just shouted.

"HEY EVERYBODY LOOK HERE, BEFORE YOU GUYS SPREAD ANY RUMOURS. THESE TWO LOVEBIRDS BEHIND ME ARE THE MONDAY COUPLE WHICH MEANS THEY ONLY GET TOGETHER EVERY MONDAY GOT IT!" 

Did I mention, ChaeEun is like the gossip queen of the school?

The whole student body looked at us, stunned. Before continuing on with their normal lives.

"Well then, that settles everything. Mission accomplish. Now we'd better get to class," said ChaeEun.


[Narrator]

And that is how their lives went, every single monday. JiHyo and Gary would get all lovey dovey in school, wearing couple clothing, feeding each other during recess, sometimes saying some really cheesy lines. SO CHEESY that poor ChaeEun was about to puke.

But what happens during other days?

JiHyo is still the center of attention, with boys trying to woo her and asking her to drop the stupid Monday couple idea.

And poor Gary is left all alone during other days, the only time he is the center of attention is every Monday when he and JiHyo are together.


[Gary's POV]

I have mixed feelings as to how things are going lately. I don't mind being back to Dull Gary on normal days. But what I really don't like is how JiHyo is neglecting me on normal days.

It's like I don't even exist.

I offered her to send her to school last Friday and She told me John was picking her up. Or was it Garret? Jerry? I don't know, all the guys are like sticking her to glue from Tuedays to Sundays all of them wanting JiHyo to be theirs and all of them asking her to dump the 'stupid' Monday couple idea.

And it hurts knowing this.

I feel like I've been played by JiHyo.

Maybe all this was just a tactic for her to upgrade her status in school and I am just a pawn.

I dont know how I should react to this any longer.

{That Sunday evening}

I got a text from JiHyo, asking which outfit should we wear tomorrow. I ignored that text.

But she sent more. I couldn't handle it so I turned off my phone and went to sleep.

By the time I woke up, it was about 8 pm.

I walked down to the dining table and was welcomed by the smell of macaroni and cheese. 

I was hoping to see my mom and dad there but was shocked to see a familiar background. JiHyo's background.

She must have heard my footsteps and turned around," Hey, your parents went out for 'date night'. So I made Mac & Cheese, hope you like it."

I nodded, sat down and started to eat. No saying a single word.

"Are you ignoring me?"

I shook my head.

"Then why didn't you answer my calls or replied my texts?"

"Sorry I took a nap and switched off my phone."

"You never do that before," her tone was sad.

"People change JiHyo."

"Not you, I've known you for so long."

"Well you know what maybe I can change! Maybe I don't want to be the same boring and dull Gary that you know anymore. Maybe I want to be someone better! Maybe I wish you would stop hanging out with those guys anymore! Maybe I wish I wasn't just a pawn to help you get all those boys swoon over you!" 

JiHyo looked like she was about to cry.She stood up and was about to leave my house but then I took a death breath and grabbed all of my courage to say this next sentence.

"Maybe I wish you were mine."

[JiHyo's POV]

When Gary told me all those things, I was about to cry. I knew him for so many years but I never expected him to bottle up so many things inside him. I didn't know that he cared off me. I felt it was my fault, I couldn't handle it.

I had to get out of there but I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard the last sentence.

I turned around to see him standing there, he was looking on the floor. 

I walked to him and held his hand. 

"Maybe I wish you were mine too." 

He looked up, into my eyes. "Really?"

"Yeah, really. I was just afraid that it would ruin everything that we had between us for all these years. That's why I came up with that Monday Couple idea. That way I could still be friends with you and also be your Monday girlfriend. I made that idea up so that we could be together even though it's just a small moment but I feel so happy every Monday."

"You really feel happy when you're with me?"

I nodded.

"Well then, Miss JiHyo. I have another idea for you."

"What's that?"

"Wanna be my Everyday girlfriend?"

I was crying when I heard those words, we opened up to each other after so long and it was amazing to know that we felt the same way.

I nodded and hugged him.

As we parted, he looked at me and said, "I really like the Monday couple idea at the beginning. Without that who knows we wouldn't be standing here right now."

"So you should thank me, if I hadn't suggested that. I wouldn't be your everyday girlfriend now."

"Who said you were my everyday girlfriend yet. You haven't sealed the deal yet."

I didn't know what to say, should I say 'Deal'? That would sound weird. 

After a few awkward moments of me and him just looking at each other.

Finally...

We sealed the deal with a kiss.


[A/N] once again sorry for being so late with this story I promise update frequently from now on. Loves and comments are really appreciated. I'll be back soon with the next request. Love you all :D