and i think to myself, what a wonderful world

then she walked into my life

A/N: hi guys! so this story is nearing the end; there will be one or two more chapters left, depending where i decide to go with the story. i just want to say thank you to everyone who has left comments, subscribed or upvoted this story. it's really nice to know that people liked this enough to do so.

enjoy!

----------------

It had only been about four months since Mina had started at Seoul Arts Academy but with everything happening, it felt like she had been there her whole life. She was amazed at how warm and welcoming everyone had been and it was only a matter of weeks before she was fully acclimated to the department. She knew the building like the back of her hand now and knew almost everyone’s name. Mina was a fairly shy girl so she was both surprised and pleased with the fact she was able to settle in as quickly as she did.

Thinking back to her first day, it was an incredibly intimidating feeling, coming into a class where everyone already knew and was familiar with each other and with her not even being a performance major, it felt like another boundary had been placed in front of her. Thank god for Jihyo. If the wide-eyed girl hadn’t made an effort to talk with her when she realized no one else was, it could have been months before she spoke to anyone. Jihyo was the connection she needed to bridge the gap between herself and her new classmates.


Every day was something new and she found a lot of that had to do with one Hirai Momo. Mina recalled her being bum-rushed the first day of school and the slightly overwhelmed but happy look on the other girl’s face as her friends crowded around her, chattering. She caught Mina’s attention not only because of the bright blonde hair pulled up into a messy ponytail, but also that, despite her casual attire of jogger pants and a plain green tee, she exuded an aura of humble confidence and carried herself with an air of maturity the rest of the class seemed to lack.. She didn’t resent that Momo hadn’t tried to talk to her- after all, if their positions were switched, she wouldn’t have tried to either but she was intrigued especially when she found out Momo was also Japanese. She wanted to find a way to talk to the older girl but didn’t have a clue as how to go about intiating a conversation.

Luckily, fate took care of that and Mina was thrilled to see her name next to Momo’s in Professor Bae’s email. Not only would this let her get to know the blonde but Momo seemed like she was really talented and Mina thought they'd do well together. She'd be remiss to say she wasn't a little taken aback when she read the play Professor Bae had assigned them but, as always, she was determined to do her best. It was just an added bonus that her partner happened be ridiculously attractive


Mina wasn’t one to broadcast her uality, especially to people she had just met. If you insisted, she’d tell you she was unlabeled. She really didn’t have experience with guys or girls. So she was surprised that Momo was so forthcoming about her own preferences during their first meeting but was touched that the older was being so considerate of Mina’s comfort.


Honestly, she wasn’t sure how she felt about Momo at first but she figured out a few things. She figured out that her day seemed infinitely much longer when they didn’t talk. She figured out that when she was having a tough day, seeing Momo would make everything more bearable. She figured out that her heart and stomach liked to perform acrobatics whenever Momo intiated skinship. She figured out it broke her heart when she saw how distressed Momo was after, thinking she had crossed some sort of line and made Mina uncomfortable. She figured out that she wouldn't mind just kissing the blonde girl senseless. However, the one thing Mina couldn't figure out was how Momo felt about her. She had gathered that Momo was the type of the person who doted on just about everyone and was unable to discern if the older girl's actions towards her meant something more than normal. She decided she would try her best not to fret over it too much and let things take their natural course. Better safe than sorry.


————————

 

At this point, Mina was frustrated. She had been searching for a good 15 minutes for her advisor who seemed to have disappeared into thin air even though he was the one who scheduled this meeting. There was one place she hadn’t checked yet, the blackbox theatre so she made her way upstairs and carefully nudged open the door, hearing voices as she quietly entered. What she found wasn’t what she was looking for but a sight that warmed her heart.

There were two figures in the middle of the room. She recognized Momo right away but it wasn't until she got closer she was able to identify the second person. It was Sohye, a timid-looking freshman who had been cast in the show Momo was helping to choreograph. She also knew Sohye was having a rather difficult time picking up the routines Momo was teaching the cast. The blonde had mentioned it in passing but rather than seeming annoyed by it, she seemed  determined to find a way to help the younger girl. They weren't able to hang out much as of late with Momo saying she had some duties to attend to now and Mina realized what those "duties" were. She watched Momo broke down each of the moves, repeating it as many times as needed to for Sohye to pick it up. She’d stop occasionally and make small adjustments, all the while showering the girl with encouragement and praise. Then they’d stop, go back to the top and build up with each move. Mina giggled as she saw Sohye gazing at Momo in awe.

 
Mina didn’t know how long she stood there, watching the two work their way through the routine, the blonde never once seeming annoyed or frustrated. Eventually the red-head cleared and felt her cheeks grow warm at the smile that spread across Momo’s face when she looked up.


“Mina!” She jogged over to where Mina stood with Sohye following hesitantly behind.

“Hi. Sorry to interrupt your practice.”

“No worries! It’s probably about time we took a break anyhow, eh Sohye?” Sohye nodded and quickly bowed 90 degrees to Mina. ‘H-hi Mina-unnie.”

Mina smiled gently at the young girl. “Hi Sohye. How are you?”

“Well, uh, I’m doing okay,” Sohye gazed down at her shoes. “I’m still struggling a bit with the routine.”

Momo took this opportunity to ruffle her bangs playfully. “Nah, you’re doing great.” Mina nodded in agreement. “From what I saw, it looks like you’ve improved a lot.” 

Large eyes gazed at both of them coupled with bright red cheeks as Sohye blushed at her seniors’ praise. “It’s all because of Momo-unnie,” she smiled brightly. “She’s a really good teacher!”

Mina looked fondly at Momo. “I’m sure she is.”

Momo laughed as she ran a hand through her messy hair before throwing an arm around Sohye’s shoulder and pulling her in for a side-hug. “It takes two, kiddo. I knew you had it in you. Some people just learn differently, you know? And that’s okay.” She grinned down at the young girl. It was obvious Momo was pretty fond of Sohye and vice versa. She was so caught up in the adorable sight in front of her that she almost didn’t catch Momo’s next words.

“Not that I’m not happy to see you, but what are you doing up here?”

“Oh,” Mina waved her hand dismissively. “I was just looking for JYP. I had some questions for him but he seems to have vanished.”

“Ahh,” Momo nodded knowingly. “He does like to do that from time to time. Give it a bit; he’s bound to pop up sooner or later.”

The red-head laughed lightly. “I sure hope so. Anyways, I should let you guys get back to it. Keep up the good work, Sohye-ah!” She gave a thumbs up to the young girl who smiled happily and returned it. “Thanks, unnie!”

Mina looked at Momo. “Are we still on for dinner later?” Momo shot her own thumbs up at the other girl. “You know it! Wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“Wonderful. Have a good practice, you two. Don’t work too hard!” Mina headed back out the front entrance. Unbeknowst to her, Momo watched her exit until the very last moment when the doors banged shut behind Mina.

Her concentration was broken by a snort coming from her side before Sohye said, “You are so obvious, unnie.” Momo looked back down at the younger girl in surprise for a moment before she playfully nudged her back to the center of the stage. “Shut it, kiddo. You can start giving me when you get this dance down.”


---------------


It seemed like the rest of the semester had flown by and the blonde couldn't have been happier with how the year was progressing. She felt like she was making leaps and bounds in all of her classes, getting closer to her classmates, and, more importantly, getting closer to Mina. It wasn't unusual to find the two girls in the basement curled up on the corner couch, Momo on her laptop with Mina's head on her shoulder, reading one of her numerous plays from her collection. One was never far from the other and it had become a running joke about how sickeningly domestic they acted which Momo took in stride despite the tug she'd feel on her heart at the thought of knowing she would never get to have that.

Before Momo knew it, it was time for the Christmas banquet. The studio theatre had been decked out to the nines, giant wreaths adorning the walls and what seemed like miles of garland strung across the ceiling, and soft Christmas music playing in the background. A long table was filled with all kinds of delicious food, drinks, and desserts. The room was bustling with activity, crowded to the brim with students and faculty. She spied Tzuyu talking with Xiumin and Sana. In another corner she saw Professor Bae gesticulating wildly while talking to Professor Sooman as JYP looked on amusedly. He caught Momo’s eye and gave a friendly wave. She waved back as she moved across the room to rid herself of the drinks the sophomores had been tasked to bring. She dumped them unceremoniously on the table that already had an ungodly amount of soda, water, and tea on it and took a moment to adjust her outfit.

There weren’t a whole lot of opportunities to dress up so Momo had spent a lot of time thinking about her outfit. In the end, she went with a fitted white button down complimented by a red skinny tie, grey dress pants, and a pair of red heels to bring it all together. As she walked toward the table that Hwasa, Jo Kwon, Jackson, and most importantly, Mina were sitting at, she was greeted with a wolf whistle courtesy of Hwasa. “Daaaamn girl! So you do have a body underneath all those baggy clothes you wear.”


Momo did a little twirl, enjoying the attention she was receiving. “Surprised, huh?”


She plopped down next to Mina and playfully bumped the girl’s shoulder in greeting. “Hey. You look beautiful.” Beautiful didn't do Mina justice when the red-head had chosen a deep burgundy dress whose top half was comprised of intricate patterns of lace with black tights and a pair of black stilettos. Honestly, Mina had been the first thing she noticed when she had walked into the theater and it was taking a good part of her willpower to keep her jaw from gaping at the gorgeous girl sitting next to her.

Mina nudged Momo in return. “You’re not too bad yourself.” Momo pretended to dust off her shoulder, feigning nonchalance. “I can clean up nicely when I want to.” She turned back to the conversation but not before she thought she heard a soft, “Yes you do.” uttered next to her. She glanced back at Mina briefly but she was clearly focused on the conversation happening at the table and so Momo brushed it off without much more than a thought.

Dinner ended up being absolutely lovely. Momo had no idea the department was full of so many good cooks and felt absolutely stuffed. Their end of the table was endlessly entertaining, courtesy of Jackson and Hwasa engaging in their legendary banter which had Momo in stitches and ended up almost choking on a roll because she was laughing so hard. After that, she decided it was best to step away from her plate and ease the bloating, so she stood near the top of the table.

There was a lull in the conversation and the song faded out from Winter Wonderland to one of Momo’s favorite Christmas songs, What A Wonderful World. Letting the music wash over her, she slowly started swaying back and forth, eyes shut, and when she cracked one eye open, she caught Mina looking at her with a soft smile. The blonde opened her arms in an invitation to dance and Mina shook her head, laughing. Not one to give up, Momo made her way around to her seat and extended her hand to the younger girl, bowing slightly and looking at her with what she hoped was a charming grin. Mina shook her head again but took the proffered hand and was led back to the front of the table where there was more room and was pulled in almost tenderly to Momo who guided her hand, placing it on her shoulder and settling her own hand on Mina’s waist. They rocked back and forth to the soft melody and after a few moments, Mina tentatively laid her head on Momo’s shoulder, smiling when she felt the blonde’s breath hitch slightly.


Of course, it only lasted a few moments before Jackson and his impeccable timing popped their bubble.

"Aw, the two lovebirds."  


Momo glared daggers at him but was caught off guard when Mina wrapped her arms around Momo’s waist, bringing them and smirked at the boy. “Jealous, Jackson?”


He laughed. “Nah, I’m all about that bachelor life but speaking of being lovebirds,” he trailed off and took a pull of his drink, eyes gleaming with mischief. Momo recognized that look and knew immediately at whatever came out his mouth next was definitely going to embarrass her.

“You wanna know something funny? After the first time you two did your scene, everyone tooootally started shipping you guys together. We even gave a ship name-MiMo.” He looked extremely satisfied that he was the one who got to divulge this information to the two. They pulled apart and looked at each other and then back at him in disbelief. “No you guys did not.”


“No we seriously did.” Jo Kwon piped up.


Momo laughed weakly again. “I cannot believe you guys.” 

She watched out of the corner of her eye for Mina’s reaction and found slightly open and cheeks flaming red. Wanting to end the awkwardness before it got any worse, she attempted to play it off, instead slung an arm over Mina’s shoulders and her voice full of false bravado. “I mean, I can’t blame you. Our scene was pretty dope, right Minari?” She smiled down at the red-head who looked back at her with an indecipherable expression, cheeks still bright red. Momo wasn’t sure if it was just her imagination but she could have sworn she had seen Mina’s eyes flicker down to her lips.


It was fleeting as the younger girl seemed to have gained her senses back and started playing along by wrapping both her arms around Momo’s waist. “Yeah I’d agree. Because you had me for a partner.” She stuck her tongue out playfully and Momo feigned hurt, clutching her hand over her chest. Laughter rose up from the table and the attention was subsequently diverted from them by the head of the department announcing they were to head over to the main theatre to take the annual theatre department Christmas picture.

There's no force quite like a huge crowd of people all trying to get to the same location and one moment Momo was walking with Mina and the next she was somehow separated from the group, pushed around by the mass of people headed through the doors. Clambering up the stage with everyone else, she craned her neck to look around for the others but they were nowhere to be found. She attempted to make her way through the throng but instead ended up on the far left side next to Sana who hugged her happily. “Momo!”


Looking around once more, she reluctantly accepted that she probably wasn't going to find the others before the picture was taken and returned the hug. “Hey, Sana. How’s it going?”


“Awesome!” Momo smiled fondly at the other girl. If the sun were a person, it would Minatozaki Sana. The girl was an endless, bubbling fountain of energy and positivity. What she lacked in the brain smarts department (not to say she was stupid by any means) but her talents definitely laid more with people. She didn’t consider them to be very close even though they were less than two months apart and saw each other daily but she had a definite soft spot for the younger girl. Momo admired her relentless persistence and unending optimism; if anything, she wished she could be more like her.


“Having a good night so far?” 


“Yeah! The food was so good and look how pretty the theatre looks. And everyone looks so nice!” Sana gushed.


"They definitely outdid themselves this time. I have no idea how they're going to top this next year.""I haven't really seen you all night. Where have you been?”


Sana smirked. “I’ve been around. Around enough to see you dancing with your girlfriend.” Momo blinked a couples times, certain she hadn't heard the grey-haired girl correctly. “I’m sorry…my girlfriend?”

“Uh yeah, Mina? I am so happy for you guys oh my god, I about died from how cute you two were earlier dancing by the tables.”


“What?! Haha, Mina is definitely not my girlfriend,” A nervous laugh escaped Momo as she looked at anywhere other than Sana. “Yeah no way.”


Sana pouted. “So you’re not dating?”


“No! Where did you even get that idea?”


“You guys act like it,” she shrugged. “Cuddling all the time, holding hands, whispering to each other.”


“Haha, you're imagining things dude. I mean, like I wouldn’t say no but there’s no way in hell thats happening. She’s straight.”

Their conversation was cut short by the photographer announcing that they would be taking the picture now. As Momo put her arm around Sana and flashed a peace sign to the camera, she couldn't help but wonder if the way her and Mina acted made it really seem like they were a couple. It seemed to be the popular opinion but Momo didn't trust her own observations. The rest of the party flew by without much fanfare and she eventually met up with the others again but her mind remained occupied with Sana's words.

 

---------------

 

Unable to stop thinking about her exchange with Sana, Momo finally decided she needed help. Or at least a more reliable third party opinion. And who was Mina's other best friend?

Park Jihyo. 

Momo suggested they go get lunch together and they ended up at a small Thai restaurant near the edge of campus and it was only after their food arrived that Momo worked up the nerve to spit it out. The other girl didn’t react except for taking another bite of rice, and after chewing, said, “I know.” 

Okay that was not the response Momo was expecting. She gaped at her. “You knew?” With a glimmer in her eye, Jihyo smiled and nodded. The blonde buried her face into her hands and groaned. “I’m really that obvious?”


Jihyo snorted. “Oh yeah. Not that it matters because Mina is oblivious as much as you are obvious. I swear to god that girl does not realize how pretty she is,” She twirled her noodles onto her chopsticks and slurped them up before continuing. “I think you have as good of a shot as anyone else, if not better. Whenever we talk about ideal types, she uses neutral pronouns AND But she’s not nearly as touchy with anyone else as she is with you."

Momo peered at Jihyo suspiciously through her fingers. Since when did a girl that Momo liked ever actually liked her back? Past experience says a grand total of never and yet here she was, listening to the other person closest to Mina telling her that she might have a chance with her.


“Of course you’ll have to make the first move,” Jihyo looked pointedly at Momo, sarcasm coloring her voice, “Which we all know how great you are that.”


Momo picked at her food and looked up meekly at Jihyo. “You honestly think I have a shot?”


Jihyo shrugged. “You never know. Hey,” she started laughing, “Here’s an idea. Just get drunk and see what happens. The Christmas party is next week and worse comes to worst you can blame it on the alcohol."


Jihyo has a lot ideas. It doesn’t mean they’re good ones. But Momo figures it’s not the WORST idea in the world.