Regret

Regret

The ringing phone filled Nayoung with dread. Her heart stop for a little bit. She got up from the couch after refusing to move an inch since last night. She pick up the phone and slowly put it on her ear.

 

"Hello." Nayoung voice almost won't get out. felt so dry. Sejeong came from behind putting her right hand on Nayoung's shoulder giving her silent support.

 

Nayoung stayed silent for a little while listening to the caller. Suddenly, she fall on her knees. The phone drop from her hand and the tears filled her eyes. Sejeong pick it up and talk with the caller for a few second, long enough to know what happened.

 

"Jieqiong!!" Nayoung scream loudly. Her hands beating her chest. Sejeong swiftly hug her from behind stopping the tall girl from harming herself. She caress Nayoung's hair softly.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Flashback to a week ago

 

Jieqiong came into kitchen while singing. Nayoung was cooking a breakfast for both of them. She hug the stone face girl's waist from behind. Her sudden act didn't faze Nayoung even for a bit. Instead she love when Jieqiong did that.

 

"Unnie, aaa... " Jieqiong open wide, wanting to taste the food. Nayoung smile and took a bit of the omelette and fed Jieqiong.

 

"Ummmm…" Jieqiong immediately let go of her grip on Nayoung and put both of her hands on . Nayoung was worried. Her face gotten pale.

 

"Why? Is it too hot? Is it awful?" Nayoung ask with shaking voice. Jieqiong watch Nayoung reaction and stay silent for a few seconds.

 

"Yah, why are you being silent?" Nayoung getting impatient. She put the utensils on kitchen desk.

 

"Heee, it’s too delicious unnie!" Jieqiong said and immediately lean forward and kiss Nayoung's cheek. Nayoung's face became red as tomato but she couldn't help but smile at her girlfriend childish behaviour.

 

"Help me arrange the dish, please?" Nayoung said while her getting back to work. They both set up the table and everything became quicker. While eating Jieqiong talked about her upcoming trip to China.

 

"I'll miss your cooking unnie." Nayoung became tense. She felt uneasy to let Jieqiong go.

 

"Can't you don't go?" Nayoung finally said it.

 

"Eh, I can't unnie. I have to go. This trip is important for me."

 

"But…" Nayoung cannot find a suitable word to describe what she was feelings.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Their drive to the Incheon airport was filled with awkward silence. After their conversation that morning they don't talk that much. Jieqiong love Nayoung but she had to go on this trip. It was an important part of her job and it had been a long time since last time she went to China.

 

Nayoung took the luggage out and walk side by side with Jieqiong. The younger girl put her hand in Nayoung. She didn't want them to part with hard feelings. Nayoung gave her a weak smile. They stop in front of the gate. Nayoung pull the girl in her embrace and it look like she won't let her go.

 

"Unnieee... I can't breathe." Jieqiong said slowly. Nayoung immediately let her go. Jieqiong let out a heavy breath.

 

"I have something I want to tell you. But you have to promise me you will comeback." Nayoung hold both of Jieqiong's hand. Her stare directly into the brown eyes of the girl in front of her.

 

"Of course I will unnie. Unnie, saranghae!" Jieqiong blurt out. She lean in and kiss Nayoung. This time their kiss was long enough for everyone to stop and look at them. When she lets go, Nayoung pull her and kiss her again.

 

Jieqiong was shock at the suddent move. It was not normal for Nayoung to do this. Nayoung was a girl who not able to talk about her feelings let alone act like this. Nevertheless, Jieqiong was happy for it. But she will be happier to hear Nayoung say something that she knows impossible for the Buddha's Statue. If only Nayoung able to say 'I love you'.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Everybody already left the funeral except Nayoung and Sejeong. Nayoung was crying in front of the altar. Sejeong didn't know how to consol her bestfriend. Nayoung was too devastated with the fact that Jieqiong was gone. She touch the girl's shoulder.

 

"I never got to say I love her Sejeong!" Nayoung wailing.

 

"Why? Why I didn't say it before? Why she had to go first? Why why why?" Nayoung shakes Sejeong's shoulders back and forth. Sejeong unable to reply instead she pull the girl into her hug. The only gesture she knows will come the girl.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sejeong walk quitely to Nayoung who was sitting on Jieqiong favourite place at the balcony of their apartment. She took out an envelope Jieqiong's workmate, Chaeyeon gave to her. Chaeyeon was the only one that survive the accidentbut with fatal consequences. She place the envelope in front of Nayoung. The girl stared at the envelope and her alternately with blank expression.

 

"Jieqiong left it for you."

 

Nayoung immediately tear the edge of the envelope. She took out a letter. She knew that Jieqiong really wrote the letter. She can't forget her beautiful girlfriend's handwriting. She held her breath while reading it.

 

Nayoungie,

 

Saranghae! I know this letter will left you with a bit of shock. I have to stay here for a little while. There a lot of work needed to be done here. I hope you understand. Chaeyeon must be telling you that I force her to make sure you get this letter. Hahaha. It's true! I will back soon okay. Don't worry. Unnie, I want you to know that I miss you so much that I had to see your photo every night before I sleep. I know you miss me too. And I definitely can't wait to hear what you wanted to tell me the other day. I hope you will be saying you love me. Hahaha. No pressure here. I will wait until you are ready unnie. Even for eternity.

 

Saranghae!

 

Jieqiong.

 

Nayoung held the letter to her chest. The pain in heart became so unbearable and the regret she was feeling became enormous. The tears were endless.