Hiccups

Hiccups [ Jonghyun, Shinee]

Kim Jonghyun; if I could describe him in one word it would be, a conceded brat who doesn't know his place. Hiccup. He only cares about himself, and I hate him. Hiccup.

When I was younger I was born with the ability not to lie, you might think that is a lie but it isn't. Everytime I lie I hiccup, like a little reminder to everyone around me that I lied. It's a pain, but in some ways it always helped my mother believe in me even till she passed away.

You might think I have something against Jonghyun, and I do. We were childhood friends since the beginning of time, we ate sand together, rode bicycles and even played dress up. What I didn't expect of that little Jong was he would become an idol, hitting high notes and swooning girls left and right. He couldn't swoon me though, not even if he tried his hardest! Hiccup.

--

I sat at my desk job, the same boring one I had for the last three years and typed up forums for athletes. Being foreign in Korea means everyone has too many questions, and I didn't have enough time. I hit the print button before getting up and heading towards the printer, just to the left was the water fountain crew. The same three girls stood around the watering hole like wild animals, where they gossiped about anything that came to mind. I was particularly interested in today's topic; SHINee.

"Taemin is the cutest little thing, I'd like to be his Noona." One of them said while showing off her phone.

"I like the leader, they call him Dubu!" the other woman cooed happily.

"Mary, who is your favourite in SHINee?" They all turned their heads towards me as I approached the printer.

"I think Key is my favourite." Hiccup

"Your lying! Who is it?" They all chuckled at me.

"Minho." Hiccup

"Come on Mary don't be shy."

"J-jonghyun.." I could feel my cheek flush lightly.

"Dino puppy!" they all cheered before returning to their cubicle.

The day dragged out longer than normal today, the sky dimmed as the sun went behind the clouds. I pulled my purse onto my shoulder as I clocked out of work and headed towards the bus stop. But something made me uneasy, as I walked out the front doors I knew the feeling was right.

In front of the door he stood there with a dopey smile, his white hair stuck out under his beanie and his eyes were hidden behind shades but I knew very well who was waiting for me. I gave him a confused look and he took a few steps closer to me, before pulling me into a hug. Jonghyun looked the same as ever, and I felt like today's events would be trouble. As he stepped away from the hug I felt him look me over, nod signaling I hadn't gone to waste.

"Mary, oh how've you grown." Jonghyun's smiled only irritated me.

"I'm so glad to see you Jongie." Hiccup. I signed when he laughed at me, he knew I was lying.

"Your as truthful as you were when we last saw eachother." Jonghyun pulled me over to his car and opened the passenger door signaling me to get in. "I'll take you home."

I didn't argue with him and got into the car, the inside was impressive. Several knobs and buttons littered the dash board as he climbed into the the car. The ride was mostly silent, as I expected we hadn't seen each other in over ten years. The silence wasn't awkward, but it wasn't comfortable.

Pulling up to my house in the out skirts of town, Jonghyun got out of the car before I managed to get out myself and opened the door for me.

"Nice to see you turned into a gentleman."I got out of the car and sighed."Thanks for the ride."

"What do you have against me Mary?" Jonghyun's eyes avoided mine as he leaned against his car.

"I don't have anything against you." Hiccup.

"Can't you just tell me what I did?" he pleaded.

~~

"Jongie when we grow up, only look at me!" I shouted at the young Jonghyun.

"I will only love and look at you. We'll get married when we graduate school." He promised me.

We were young and didn't know about love or marriage, I just wanted to stay by his side as along as I could. Our promise didn't last long, when Jonghyun moved away from our small town I didn't receive a letter or even a call from him. My mother never dared to talk about the family and I eventually forgot about him, until I saw his face on the television.

"Mom! Jongie is on TV!" I jumped up and down, even though I was senior in highschool.

"So your dating a non idol right now, is she nice?" The interviewer asked Jonghyun on the TV and I stopped jumping.

~~

"You left me in that town, you didn't call or email me or send a letter." I finally said, it wasn't the full truth though.

"Is that it?"

"Yes, that's why." Hiccup.

I could feel tears in my eyes as I looked at him, and it surprised him.

"M-mary, calm down. I'm sorry!"

"You were only supposed to look at me, and love me." I said wiping my tears with my sleeves. "You said you would marry me after school."

"Mary.." Jonghyun's face relaxed as he pulled me into his arms.

"N-now I'm alone here while your out playing idol. I want to be so mad at you, I want to hate you but I can't."

"Sh, it's okay I'm here now." He my hair lightly with smile on his face.

"You dumb dino, do you not know how much I love you!" I yelled into his chest.

I heard him chuckle, and I went to yell at him more but his lips lightly pecked mine. I blinked a few times before tilting my head.

"You didn't answer me." I pouted.

"Mary, do you really love me?" I blushed lightly at him.

"N-no I hate you." Hiccup.

"I think you love me. Much more than I expected."

I stood on my toes and pushed my lips to his making sure he couldn't say anything else. Jonghyun's hands rested around my waist and kissed me passionately.

I couldn't hate that dino one bit, no matter what situation he put our relationship in. He treated me as a lover, friend and wife until the end of time. And I couldn't ask for a better ending.