will you let me in?

Creeping into My Heart

yes i've rewrote this/joined both previous chapter 2 and 3.

i was actually #STUCK (ahah see wht i did there) plotwise so i decided to change stuff.

08/16

 


 

Kihyun had aced his test - full marks, literally splattered on the right upper corner of the page in a deep, red smudged ink.

His teacher appeared to be as surprised as he was, proceeding to his seat to congratulate him nevertheless, saying that she was not expecting him to achieve such great results; since he had skipped the theoretical lecture, after all.

He utterly shrugged the woman off, murmuring an inaudible “neither did I” as she walked down onto her seat.

Kihyun’s eyes scanned for Changkyun almost as instantly, dejectedly finding no signs of the boy inside the classroom.  He had probably finished packing up and left, as the teacher dismissed the class once she’d given the graded quizzes.

With vague disappointment, Kihyun left, too.

Notwithstanding, to his immense contentment, there were no classes left to attend for the day, leaving him to head straight towards his apartment.

 

Weekend seemed like a blessing for the moment, until a cold decided to visit Kihyun for a few days.

It , really. Not five minutes would go by without a sneeze or a cough breaking loose into his apartment. It him pretty bad; his growing fever painfully giving him the hots. 

The bad sort of hots.

 

He tried, he really did, to attend school on Monday; yet there was no point in attending a lecture he couldn't focus on, and let others focus on. An honest soul eventually told him to just 'stay at home and rest, no one needs your sick here contaminating the rest of us' , at which he complied. 

Kihyun stayed home for the rest of the week.

It was awful, to miss a week right before his last exams. Kihyun was undoubtedly aware of that. Yet if he wanted to do those in the first place, he'd need to rest and be able to hold a pen without sneezing in the meantime.

 

By Sunday, he was rejuvenated. A new being, cold-less and capable of forming coherent thoughts without feeling dizzy with sleep. He blamed medicine for making him sleep most of his days, followed by laziness and lack of motivation to get up from his couch. It was definitely medicine's fault.

He'd spent his weekend playing video games, now that he was capable to move in some sorts.

 

It was only later that Sunday, as he prepared his bag for the following day, that he noticed the tiny scrap of paper amidst his scrambled Geometry notes - because his sick was way too lazy to touch them for a week. He had noticed it before, yes; thought it was a mere addition to his notes, yet as he took a better look from afar, he realized the handwriting was not his.

He recognized it, however.

He snatched the piece of paper into his hands to read it; almost wishing he hadn’t, for his own heart’s sake. The handwriting was messy, slightly smudged on a few words – but completely readable to his eyes. Kihyun read it once, he read it twice, hell – he read it a hundred times, just to be sure he was reading it right.

Call me? : )

Followed by a sequence of numbers that surely was his phone number.

Changkyun’s phone number.

Oh my God.

Kihyun settled himself on his still messy couch, still staring incredulously at the scrap of paper he held between his fingers.

Calling him was way out of question. Firstly, he had no idea on what to say. Secondly, he didn’t even know with what purpose Changkyun had given him his phone number, hence him being extremely clueless on what to do. Was he hitting on him? Absolutely not. Perhaps it was not even meant to be for him. Maybe it just fell, accidentally, into his notes. Yes. That seemed like the most reasonable occurrence.

Thirdly, a whole week had passed.

Kihyun groaned, burying his face into his hands. He was so embarrassing.

He took a deep breath, fishing for the phone in the back pocket of his jeans. Since the calling option was immediately crossed out, texting would definitely be the most straightforward and least awkward option, in addition to it being easier for Changkyun to save his number afterwards. That is, if that makes any sense.

He promptly unlocked his phone, scanning the screen for the messaging app. He was desperately trying to come up with something simple, yet efficient – his mind opposing it, it seems, as being a complete blur, twisting with the nerves that pooled at the thought of even talking to him.

Sighing, he decided to go the easier, simpler way. Besides, he had to be certain the number was, in fact, Changkyun’s, and that that note was meant for him.

Yes, he still held on to the thought of it being an accident.

hi : ) it’s kihyun. is this changkyun?

 

Probably too simple … It’s straightforward. But isn’t it rude to ask if the number belongs to someone? No, head. It’s more polite than just assuming. But isn’t the smiley too- Just. ing. Hit send.

 

Kihyun nervously thumbed the Send button.

 

Error sending message: invalid receiver.

 

Oh, yeah. Right. He forgot to add in his number.

 

Kihyun swiftly opened his contacts folder, typing in the numbers he now knew by heart (because he clearly didn’t stare at his arm for a long, long period of time. Absolutely not.). A name must be given – so Kihyun proceeded to name his contact after the most random thing he could come up with besides Changkyun, - just in case someone nosey took a hold of his phone - right before pressing send once more.

 

To: a very a nice

hi : ) it’s kihyun. is this changkyun?

 

Kihyun snickered at the name, praying that the boy in question would never, ever get to see it.

 

Anxiously locking his phone after seeing the “Message Sent” notification, he placed the device carefully on the table by the end of the couch, deciding to entertain himself around the apartment. Untouched since his geometry notes accident happened, the pile of mess he created had accumulated even more. Kihyun straight up assumed the other boy was the type who wouldn’t reply as fast, so he began organizing the disaster he’d made a while ago.

 

Kihyun was hanging clothes in his closet when he heard the phone’s vibration echoing in the living room table, causing him to drop the hanger that was in his hands. He walked out of the room right away, reaching instantly for his phone and swiping the screen to find one notification for a new incoming message.

 

From: a very a nice

Hi! Yes, this is Changkyun.

 

He stared at it, contemplating what he could say back, when another message unexpectedly popped up.

 

From: a very a nice

I’m quite surprised you actually did text me, lol.

 

To: a very a nice

wait was i not supposed to

 

From: a very a nice

No, I mean. Only if you wanted to…? But I’m actually happy you did.

 

To: a very a nice

yes, i can feel the emotion by your texts :)

 

From: a very a nice

you, I can be quite emotive with texts too.

 

Kihyun gaped at the phone before deciding to let his body fall back onto the couch, bumping against a pile of discarded clothes he’d thrown there when cleaning up his closet. It was still messy; his room not even being close to tidy - however, Changkyun was replying relatively fast, so Kihyun thought he might as well do, too.

 

To: a very a nice

how?

 

From: a very a nice

Like this.
>.<  see? >_<

 

He nearly dropped his phone as he was attacked by a massive wave of cringe.

 

To: a very a nice

oh g od no, stop, okay, don’t do that. that’s as bad as sending ‘xD’ to someone

 

From: a very a nice

xD

 

To: a very a nice

i’m deleting your number.

 

From: a very a nice

I already have yours anyway, so where would be the point?

 

To: a very a nice

i’m changing numbers.

wait but first uh

can you tell me something?

 

From: a very a nice

yes?

 

To: a very a nice

do you perhaps,, know when our geometry final is?

like i know it’s this week but

 

This time, a few minutes passed before the reply came.

 

From: a very a nice

Are you serious

To: a very a nice
yes.

From: a very a nice

Oh right… you skipped. Sorry, I forgot.

It’s on Thursday.

 

Thursday. Kihyun had his fingers crossed in another day, really hoping his final was actually taking place on Friday. This information slapped him in the face with the realization that he had one less day to get ready, since he had planned to study on Thursday, too. Still, with a study schedule and divided tasks to do - he wasn’t confident in himself at all. Not after skipping one full week, with a lack of practice slowly building up on him.  He felt like he needed Changkyun’s help desperately, because God was he good at explaining.

 

Thinking on a way to ask him subtly without seeming needy, his phone then showed a new message from Changkyun.

 

From: a very a nice

You think you’ll need some tutoring from me?

 

Kihyun was beyond relieved.

To: a very a nice
do you even understand the new methods to teach me in the first place?

From: a very a nice

As opposed to someone, I have been going to classes, you know.

To: a very a nice
okay honestly maybe i’ll need some help

From: a very a nice
It’s fine. I don’t mind.
Any specific queries you might have?

To: a very a nice
everything…?

From: a very a nice
Christ.

I can’t do miracles, Kihyun.

Well, but your parents sure can – Kihyun thought.

From: a very a nice
I can try.
When is it convenient to you?

He furrowed his eyebrows, pondering it for a while; coming to the conclusion that he was not much worried about his others finals. Only geometry was troubling him quite a bit, as he’d need help in previous modules.

To: a very a nice
i’m always free this time
if i have to skip, i will. i need this grade.

From: a very a nice
Woah, that’s some true dedication you have there.

To: a very a nice
shut up

From: a very a nice
Is tomorrow fine with you?

To: a very a nice
always
adv.: at all times; on all occasions.

From: a very a nice
.

To: a very a nice
did you just send me a single dot

From: a very a nice
I wanted to send a blank one, representing the s I give, but for some reason such thing is not possible.

To: a very a nice
yes, tomorrow’s fine. what time?

From: a very a nice
After lunch?

Kihyun swiftly got up from the couch, heading to the fridge. He had his schedule taped in there, which he cautiously analysed. He had one class after lunch – History, which he so loved – that skipping would surely cause no harm. Kihyun took his seat on the couch another time, trying his hardest to gather a tiny bit of courage and ask Changkyun if he, perhaps, had any plans for lunch, since Kihyun would be free by then. He fidgeted on his seat as he typed the message, desperately holding onto a pillow once he pressed send. Changkyun replied shortly after, seemingly to have none; Kihyun hesitantly asking if he would like to have lunch at the main cafeteria with him – a place he would have the need to go anyway. That way, they could head straight to the library after eating. It was on the same building, after all.

When he had gotten yes as response, his legs seemed to lose their strength; an uneasy feeling sweeping through his being, with nowhere to back out now.

✧✧✧

Once his class came to an end around midday, Kihyun received a text from Changkyun telling him he was currently at the cafeteria waiting for him.

Kihyun quickened his pace, walking down the hall that led to the mentioned place, hurriedly marking his spot in the queue line. Not that it mattered, anyway - what were queues to a bunch of savage college students, after all?

With his lunch tray in hands, he scanned the tables’ area for Changkyun; eyes wavering at the sight of a group with some of his classmates. Hoseok, Hyungwon and Jooheon sat all gathered on the same table, whilst two of their usual gang were nowhere to be seen.

They waved over at Kihyun, gesturing the boy to join their table, which Kihyun would occasionally do on most days. He did enjoy their presence during lunch all those times, though in that moment he simply shook his head at them, his gaze shifting to a random spot in the cafeteria, only then noticing where Changkyun was – sitting alone by a small table in the far east corner, his arms lazily crossed over his chest. He seemed to be waiting for him, considering his lunch was as untouched as Kihyun’s. How considerate of him.

He walked past the group of boys, barely ignoring them as he walked his way towards Changkyun’s table, hearing loud complains from the one he’d left behind. Kihyun took a quick glance backwards, finding Hyungwon glaring him a meme worthy face, whereas Hoseok and Jooheon merely gaped at him with honest confusion.

Kihyun hesitantly placed his tray on the table, sliding into the seat beside Changkyun - causing the latter to slightly raise an eyebrow at him, as if the quizzical looks from the table across theirs weren’t enough.

“Took you long enough.” Changkyun mused, adjusting himself comfortably on his seat.

“Well, hello to you too.” Kihyun retorted, picking up the wrapped cutlery from his tray. He was starving, and would take no time to start digging into his food.

“Hello.”

 “Sorry if this is somewhat troublesome for you.” Kihyun spoke. “… Asking you to get lunch with me, I mean.”

Changkyun shook his head; a gesture Kihyun caught from the corner of his eye. “It’ fine. It’s my first time having lunch here, actually.”

Kihyun forked some of the food into his mouth, his turn on raising an eyebrow at Changkyun, facing the boy completely. Now that he had mentioned it – Kihyun had never seen him around the cafeteria. Not during lunch time, at least. “Where do you usually have lunch, then?”

“On my dorm?” Changkyun shrugged off. “I can’t cook that much besides cookies, so I mostly get takeout.”

Kihyun scrunched his nose at the last word. “Those are some evil greasy stuff, you know. Even living out of cookies would be better than that.”

Changkyun turned his face to meet Kihyun’s gaze. “Bet you can’t cook to save a life.”

“Actually, I do cook a lot.” Kihyun stated.

The other boy processed the words slowly, somehow surprised. “Wait, you do?”

“Yes. Not as much lately, just occasionally - like, when the food here . Before I came to college, I always helped my mom around the house and that includes cooking.”

Changkyun stared widely at him. “I don’t know if I should be more amazed about the fact that you are an actual housewife, or the fact that you can even cook.”

Kihyun smiled. “Both are better options than your take outs, anyway.”

The other boy remained silent at that, so they ate their meals in silence for a while. The cafeteria served some sort of eatable food on the majority of days, which pleased Kihyun immensely. Everything came out alright, apart from their rice, which was the epitome of disgusting: no one knew how they could serve such thing legally.

As Kihyun was shoving some meat into his mouth, Changkyun spoke up, breaking the silence.

“Maybe you should cook for me one of these days, then.”

Kihyun nearly choked on his food after processing the words, reaching immediately for his cup of water - desperately gulping the entirety of it down to suppress a coughing fit. Thankfully, Changkyun was too immersed on his own food to notice his almost eminent death.

With his heart leaping on his chest, he replied. “If you’re lucky enough.”

“Why?” Changkyun inquired, barely sulking at his words. Kihyun was glad he was securely sitting down.

“I don’t… cook just for anyone, you see.”

“You don’t?”

“No.”

Changkyun raised his hand up to his face, seeming to ponder at his words.  “How about… you cook for me, in return to my help with geometry?”

Kihyun was dumbfounded. “Are you honestly selling your mighty good services for food?”

“If it is as good as you make it sound, then yes.”

He wholeheartedly laughed at him, supporting his weight on the table to prevent himself from falling over. “My greatest discovery is that Lim Changkyun is actually a food .”

“ off.” He said, laughing alongside him nevertheless.

 

“Did you bring your things?”

Kihyun swallowed the last bite from his meal. “Yeah.”

Changkyun nodded in acknowledgment, stopping to stare at a fixated point over Kihyun’s shoulder. The latter was about to wave a hand over his face, when he noticed he had his focus on him now.

“I think we’re being stared at.” He spoke up.

Kihyun was bewildered. “By who?”

Changkyun nonchalantly pointed with his finger, Kihyun turning his head to follow his direction to the table where he had passed before – now with a complete group of boys. The missing ones, Minhyuk and Hyunwoo, were now gathered with the others too, filling the table at its maximum.

Rolling his eyes, Kihyun didn’t seem fazed a single bit.

“It’s like they’re pressuring us.” Changkyun continued.

Kihyun eyed him curiously, his pants filling with a vibrating noise, startling both Changkyun and him. Kihyun quickly fished his phone out to find the screen showing one unread message - belonging to no other than Hyunwoo.

From: Hyunwoo
you should check the facebook chat, guys… it’s wild, and it may concern you both.

Turning his phone screen to Changkyun, he gestured for him to read the text he’d received. Changkyun slightly shuffled closer to his seat, peering over Kihyun’s shoulder to see more clearly, his breath lightly caressing Kihyun’s ear. He could feel him so close-

“Wait, I actually have the Messenger app on my phone.” he spilled out, pulling back to his seat. He twisted him chair to search for his phone inside his backpack; so glad he was distracted when a blush had most likely crept onto Kihyun’s cheeks.

He managed it out, placing his phone on the table for both Kihyun and him being able to simultaneously read. The latter unconsciously shuffled closer to get a better look, causing their knees to bump. Kihyun quickly apologized, withdrawing his knee in a swift flustered mess.

Changkyun unlocked his phone, thumbing the messenger app. The chat group immediately popped up, along with a sea of unread messages. He sighed, expecting the worse, really.

 

[1:03pm] bubbles:  bREAking NEWs
[1:03pm] bubbles:  WELCOME to MinHYUK’s GosSIP SHOW
[1:03pm] bubbles:  TODAYY i bring u the latest news :D

[1:03pm]  queen:  ugh not this bs again
[1:03pm]  queen:  last time this happened, hoseok developed some ty kink for ramen

[1:03pm] wonhoe:  Who’s summoning me?

[1:03pm] bubbles:  noNO NOT THIS AGAIN I S WE AR 

[1:03pm] hyungwon tops:  lol if it makes you feel better, he also developed a kink for raw men

[1:03pm]  queen:  stOP

[1:03pm] bubbles:  no but
[1:03pm] bubbles:  LISTEN

[1:03pm] just Yoorim:  Guys. Why do you need to gossip during lunch time?

[1:04pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  because
[1:04pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  KIHYUN LEFT US TO HAVE LUNCH WITH CHANGKYUN

[1:04pm] just Yoorim:  I’m sorry about what I’m about to say, but I would choose him over you guys, too. 

[1:04pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  woah there
[1:04pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  since when are you rude Yoorim?

[1:04pm] bubbles:  the thing is
[1:04pm] bubbles:  kihyun has not been here for a while
[1:04pm] bubbles:  and when he comes back BAM he’s leaving us for changkyun
[1:04pm] bubbles:  :(

[1:05pm] that girl with blue hair: Maybe something happened, but guess whose business this is? Not yours.

[1:05pm] hyungwon tops:  lol
[1:05pm] hyungwon tops:  maybe he got laid after all

[1:05pm] wonhoe:  No. I think this is about something else.

[1:05pm]  queen:  hold up
[1:05pm]  queen:  aren’t they like, sitting right next to u?

[1:05pm] wonhoe:  Sort of.

[1:05pm] bubbles:  yeah

[1:05pm]  queen:  then why the don’t u ask them directly? Jfc are all guys this dumb
[1:05pm]  queen:  they are also in this convo, u know

[1:05pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  oh
[1:05pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  SOMEONE TAKE THEM OUT

[1:05pm] hyungwon tops:  no. that’s too suspicious, they would notice right away

[1:05pm] bubbles:  i don’t think they would tho ://
[1:05pm] bubbles:  they ARE TOO BUSY LAUGHIN G ??!!??????

[1:05pm] wonhoe:  Well, .

[1:05pm] bubbles:  maybe if we stare at them they will get the vibes

[1:05pm] hyungwon tops:  ?
[1:06pm] hyungwon tops:  vibes about what

[1:06pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  vibes about how much we neeD ANSWERS

[1:06pm] wonhoe:  Like someone previously said:
[1:06pm] wonhoe:  It is none of our business.

[1:06pm] bubbles:  but i’m curious
[1:06pm] bubbles:  :(

[1:06pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  do u think they had ““classes”” this week
[1:06pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  that could be the reason Kihyun skipped?

[1:06pm] wonhoe:  …classes?
[1:06pm] wonhoe:  he seemed like he was dying on Monday. He went missing after that.

[1:06pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  yeah
[1:06pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  since, you know. Changkyun is tutoring him…?

[1:06pm] bubbles:  whAT
[1:06pm] bubbles:  where did u get such info
[1:06pm] bubbles:  :o

[1:06pm] hyungwon tops:  ahah maybe he skipped because those “tutoring sessions” were so hard on him
[1:06pm] hyungwon tops:  that he couldn’t walk much after ;)

[1:06pm] bubbles:  i…
[1:06pm] bubbles:  don’t believe Kihyun is a bottom ?????

[1:06pm] just Yoorim:  Oh, God. Please, don’t. 

[1:06pm] hyungwon tops:  what the fufck are you serious

[1:06pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  dude. my beliefs lay on a top Kihyun.
[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  he must have the kink inside him bro

[1:07pm] hyungwon tops:  i bet u ten bucks that he bottoms

[1:07pm] daddy with big arms:  Maybe they switch…

[1:07pm] just Yoorim:  Not you too, Hyunwoo.

[1:07pm] wonhoe:  I… believe on a top Kihyun, also

[1:07pm] hyungwon tops:  hey hey
[1:07pm] hyungwon tops: guess who’s bottoming tonight

[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  …Changkyun?

[1:07pm] hyungwon tops:  no
[1:07pm] hyungwon tops:  me, if hoseok ing shuts up and agrees with me

[1:07pm] bubbles:  :o

[1:07pm] wonhoe:  Yoo Kihyun definitely bottoms

[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  no but seriously guYS just
[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  look at them

[1:07pm] hyungwon tops:  have you ever seen changkyun smile
[1:07pm] hyungwon tops:  i’m shocked.

[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  rig HT ???? WH at ThE
[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  I’ve never seen him like this

[1:07pm] hyungwon tops:  kihyun must have woken the gay inside him
[1:07pm] hyungwon tops:  ;)

[1:07pm] bubbles:  ……………
[1:07pm] bubbles:  …..why is kihyun looking at his phone

[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy: why is changkyun taking his
[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy:
  ho FUC K THEY’RE LOOKING AT US
[1:07pm] it’s your aegyo boy:  SHTIHSTHSI WHO BETRAYED US

[1:07pm] bubbles:  spAM THE CHAT SO THEY DON’T SEE

[1:07pm]  queen:  if you’re all on the same table
[1:07pm]  queen:  why are you tards talking here?

[1:08pm] daddy with big arms:  There are girls sitting behind us. They could hear.

Kihyun and Changkyun scrolled down the chat, skimming through everything with a heavy, awkward silence amidst them. While Kihyun felt like plotting everyone’s slow murder, he also felt somewhat amused by how their classmates were so worked up about such a dumb thing; kind of embarrassed since Changkyun was so close to him at that moment.

Feeling his breath grazing at his ear was the last thing he wanted after reading a whole conversation about who between them would take it up the . Honestly.

They scrolled past the barrier of spam - clearly built in vain - until they’ve reached the bottom of the chat window. Kihyun turned to Changkyun then, the latter coughing awkwardly so. He remained silent with sole embarrassment until something crossed his mind, shooting Changkyun a wicked smile.

 Changkyun sighed at him. “What?”

“Do you think we should prank them?” Kihyun asked.

A smile began to form on Changkyun’s lips. “Depends.” He said. “What do you have in mind?”

Kihyun gestured at Changkyun’s phone, the latter handing it to him. Opening the messenger app, Kihyun typed something quick, hitting send before handing it back to Changkyun. The latter was in the process to unlock his phone and see what Kihyun had sent, when they heard a commotion coming from a certain table at the cafeteria.

Changkyun shot a look at Kihyun, who was staring innocently at him. He slid his eyes back to his phone screen, seeing the message he’d wrote.

 

[1:10pm] I’M not here:  hyungwon owes you all ten bucks
[1:10pm] I’M not here:  ;)

Changkyun snorted loudly. “Did you just proclaim yourself a top, Kihyun?”

Flushing a deep red, he tried hard not to stutter as he spoke. “You know I was just joking.”

isn't that saying that I actually bottom--

The other’s attention shifted to his phone again, noticing how the chat had gone berserk. Changkyun smiled down at Kihyun, showing him the screen. Kihyun wiggled closer to him once more.

 

[1:11pm]  queen:  the only time I’m glad I’m here

[1:11pm] bubbles:  I want my money, hyungwon!!
[1:11pm] bubbles:  or I’m sending a pic of those derp faces you so love to do :D

[1:11pm] hyungwon tops:  i’m out
[1:11pm] hyungwon tops:  not involving money in this.

[1:11pm] wonhoe:  You’re still bottoming tonight.

[1:11pm] hyungwon tops: 

That had hit Kihyun with another idea; gesturing for Changkyun to hand him the device once again.

 

I’M not here has set hyungwon tops nickname to hyungwon bottoms. ]

[1:11pm] hyungwon bottoms:  i’m going to murder you Changkyun.

[1:11pm] I’M not here:  :)
[1:11pm] I’M not here:  Minhyuk, you’re free to send the Hyungwon pic. I bet it would be great on my blackmail folder :)

[1:11pm] bubbles:  …kihyun?

[1:11pm] hyungwon bottoms:  lol ofc it’s him
[1:11pm] hyungwon bottoms:  WHO ELSE would have a ing blackmail folder?

Kihyun laughed, giving Changkyun back his phone. His deed was done for the day. “These guys, I swear.”

“They sort of have a point” Changkyun blurted. “I never came here in the first place and when I suddenly do, you meet up with me – even when we barely know each other.”

Kihyun nodded. “We don’t.” he said, hesitantly. “But I… would like to change that”.

, Kihyun, what are you saying?

Changkyun cocked his head at him. “You would?”.

Kihyun blushed; fidgeting in his seat as he suddenly felt so, so small. Maybe he shouldn’t have said that— “Yes. I mean…. I’d like to know you better, maybe hang out more with you, you know?” he admitted.

He felt so embarrassed once the words had left him – the thought of burying himself deep down on the ground with shame crossing his mind; Changkyun’s intense stare on him not easing him in any way. He covered his face in his hands, regret filling him whole. “God, I sound so stupid lik-”

Changkyun laughed, reaching with his hands to shove Kihyun’s off his face – he had a strong grip, yet gentle. Caring. “It’s not, really. I’d… like to know you better, too- I mean- yeah. That would be nice.”

Kihyun chuckled at that, resting the hands Changkyun had brushed away so nervously on his lap. “Sorry to disappoint you, but I’m not as interesting as you think I may be”.

“I’m utterly disappointed.”

He warmly fleered at Changkyun when the boy’s phone vibrated loudly on the table – which Kihyun assumed to be due to a messenger notification. He didn’t mention it, and neither did Changkyun, causing both to blatantly ignoring it. Kihyun supposed it was only their classmates goofing around like always; presumably involving money issues now, since Hyungwon was in eminent debt to everyone present in that chat.

✧✧✧

 “Oh. It’s you boys again?”

 Kihyun lifted his eyes from the paper, finishing with determining the true length of a line – part of an exercise Changkyun had made him do, despite its low difficulty. His eyes met the petite librarian standing beside him, arms crossed as she glared over at the two boys.

“It’s time, c’mon.” she hurried, gesturing to the backdoor with her finger.

Kihyun felt his brain melting, overflowed by too much geometry on a single day. He took ages processing it was time to leave.

He stole a quick glance at Changkyun, noting the tiredness in his movements whilst the boy packed his things. He felt exhausted, too - they’ve been there for endless hours, after all.

The parking lot seemed deserted by the time they stepped outside, the warm breeze of the night running a shiver down Kihyun’s spine nevertheless. He pulled the sleeves of his jacket down, gripping them tight amidst his fists, scanning for the black car he could now recognize as Changkyun’s. He found it parked in the third row to his left.

Changkyun had, unsurprisingly, offered to drive him, at which Kihyun merely nodded. He knew declining would lead to nothing – Changkyun would most likely end up insisting, so Kihyun just followed him onto his car.

The radio didn’t start playing that time, dead static filling the air instead. Changkyun turned it off, and oddly enough, talked over to Kihyun. It was quite strange, yes, but it also felt somewhat familiar to Kihyun. He listened attentively as Changkyun commenced to speak, telling him random things about himself. He spoke faintly about the part-time job he had at a local gaming store, which promised a good pay, without requiring a large amount of hours. He signed up, not sure about getting the job, but he reluctantly accepted it once he was called for an interview – planning to quit if it did not turn out to be his thing at all. Seems like it was not that bad, employee’s discounts and all - hence he sticking around.

“You should go there sometime. If… you’re into video games, that is.”

Kihyun crooked at him. “Are you going to give me a discount?”

Changkyun smiled. “Maybe. Depends on your tastes.”

Kihyun leaned fully on his seat, arm resting over the door’s trim; gaze falling to his feet as he smiled widely into himself. They fell into silence after that, Changkyun’s attention fully placed on the road.

✧✧✧

The following day, Changkyun sat beside Kihyun on their geometry class – a very shocking action, if you may, as it even received a gasp from Hyunwoo, whose habitual seat had just been stolen. He didn’t seem that outraged by it, merely shrugging it off and sitting on the other side of Minhyuk, who apparently was guarding the seat for him since the beginning.

Kihyun curiously observed Changkyun as he settled on the seat to his right.

“Any special reason that caused you to change seats?” Kihyun asked, not seeing the teacher around the classroom yet. She was most likely to arrive late.

“You.” Changkyun said, simply.

The expression Kihyun’s face made must have been priceless, as it urged Changkyun to elaborate. “You know, since I’m tutoring you, I don’t see why I shouldn’t keep an eye on you during lectures, too.”

Kihyun hummed, slowly nodding at him. “Thank you.”

Someone groaned loudly in the seat behind them, inducing them to turn their faces at the same direction. Unsurprisingly, they found Hyungwon staring down at them, seated right next to Hoseok. “I had faith you would come up with a lesser lame excuse.” He remarked.

Changkyun only gawked at him, slowly dawning that Hyungwon was actually directing his words towards him. “Oh, you’re talking to me?”

Hoseok snorted; followed by a strangled noise he tried too hard to hold back, while Hyungwon seemed stupidly outraged.

“Of course I’m talking to you, do you see anyone else as desperate as you?”

Changkyun raised an eyebrow at him, clearly prone to say something in his defence - yet it was Kihyun who spoke first. “Jealous no one’s helping you out?” he said. “Wouldn’t do much though, no one would be able to do a miracle on you.”

Hyungwon shrugged. “I find this subject pretty useless for my future. You would too, but since you have a scholarship to keep, you can’t, right?”

It didn’t come out as rude – questioning, even. Kihyun shook his head affirmatively.

Hyungwon merely sighed. “Grades are not the only thing you should try hard to keep up, Kihyun.”

This time, Hoseok was not able to contain himself, snorting loudly beside Hyungwon; getting the teacher’s attention towards them just as she entered the room. He looked terrified at the glare the teacher threw his way.

“Hoseok, would you like to share what’s so funny with the rest of the class?”

He dug deeper into his seat, utterly embarrassed. “No, ma’am.”

Kihyun observed as Hyungwon sneaked his hand down the table, resting it assuredly on Hoseok’s tight. He squeezed at it, which seemed to calm the other boy a bit. Kihyun found the gesture rather odd coming from Hyungwon – yet incredibly sweet from his part.

He admired them for trying to be subtle.

“Then please refrain to disturb my class, before it even has started.”

Hoseok nodded, causing everyone to fall into silence after that.

 

Kihyun would occasionally bump on Changkyun’s elbow with the help of his mechanical pencil, prompt to inquire him something relevant about the exercise. Sometimes, he wouldn’t feel the bumping at first, inducing Kihyun to poke him more aggressively. Once Changkyun’s attention was entirely on him, Kihyun would show him the task he was currently on, which Changkyun would eye carefully; explaining the steps he had not done yet, and pointing wrong things at him It took Kihyun some time to realize – but Changkyun would always have to lean on slightly to his side, scarcely decreasing the gap between them - to explain whatever he had to. Kihyun’s heart grew weak after becoming aware of the gesture, self-consciously nervous at the proximity – knowing, deep down, he had no time to overthink too much about it, since his final was in two days, after all.

Still, he hoped Changkyun couldn’t hear the heart that throbbed rapidly in his chest.

 

Changkyun had more classes for the day, whereas Kihyun had not. They both agreed not to up their brains more with additional tutoring, since they had class that day instead.

Kihyun told him he’d just walk home then; waving him goodbye before Changkyun could head to his next class.

He’d received a text by the time he’d opened his apartment door.

From: a very a nice
sorry I forgot to ask
what time tomorrow?

Kihyun peered at fridge, finding his schedule nearly ripped at every edge taped onto it. A few moments passed before he recalled his previous words.

To: a very a nice
I should be the one asking that, since I’m always free, remember?

Kihyun placed the phone on the kitchen table, heading towards his room to change. He was done for the day, so he surely could now laze around. He hadn’t expected Changkyun to answer right away, since his class had probably long started by then.

Not too long after changing into some comfy sweatpants, Kihyun’s phone vibrated despite it.

From: a very a nice
Right.
My last class is at five.

To: a very a nice
at 5 it is then

From: a very a nice
Library, same desk.

✧✧✧

 “We have a problem.”

Kihyun watched as Changkyun slid on the seat facing his, apparently having a midlife crisis while he dropped his bag carelessly on the table.

“Why?” Kihyun asked nonchalantly, chewing on the tip of his pencil by habit. It was gross – he was aware, but the rubber had slipped off, and it already looked weird as it was.

“Did you see the e-mail the teacher sent us? With the contents for the final exam?”

Kihyun frowned, ceasing the aggression at his pencil; his throat suddenly feeling dry. He had not bothered to check his e-mail, much less the class’. Changkyun’s words made him regret he hadn’t. “No, I have not.”

“That , I swear…” Changkyun sighed, withering deeper into his chair. “She said she wouldn’t, so I didn’t give a about it. But she’s included a content we gave on that week you skipped.”

Kihyun’s heart halted, eyes wide at Changkyun’s words. “What?”

“I’m sorry. She said it was not going to be on our final exam, but due to ‘lack of content to create tasks’, she decided to put it up, too.” He explained; his tone full with annoyance. He sounded pissed as hell.

Kihyun felt himself faltering, dropping his head to the table with a loud thud. “I’m failing. I’m so ed.”

Changkyun looked at him apologetically. “I can try to-”

“Changkyun.” Kihyun cut in. “I need to revise the things we’ve been doing until now, do you think you can teach me one week worth of with the remaining time?”

He pursued his lips. “The library closes at 8. That only gives us three hours, Kihyun.”

Kihyun puffed, smashing his palms onto his hair. “How long does it take to finish one of the news exercises?” he asked. “Are they even valued that much?”

Changkyun averted his eyes from the boy. “One hour. And by the criteria she attached, one task is 75 points.”

75 points, out of 200. On one, single task.

Kihyun sank deeper onto the table. “That’s it. I’m ed. There’s no way I can do this when we only have three hours.”

Three hours, Kihyun thought. It was impossible. He’d need to pull an all nighter, but how could he, if he ended up doing everything wrong? Changkyun seemed as appalled as he was, leaning over the table with the most contemplative expression Kihyun had ever seen him wear.

“Wait.” Changkyun blurted, shuffling on his seat. “You could come to my dorm.”

Kihyun lifted his head from the web of despair he’d created, just to glare at him. “What?”

“My dorm.” Changkyun repeated. “We can go there once the library closes, so we can finish studying there. It’s nearby, and I’ll drive you home later on anyway, so hours won’t be a problem.”

He flared unconsciously at the implication of being invited into Changkyun’s dorm. “Won’t it be a problem, really?”

No. My roommate isn’t there, so.”

That’s the problem, . Being completely alone with you.

 

✧✧✧

 

Kihyun was glad the dorms had elevators; otherwise if he had to walk all the way up to the sixth floor, he would have preferred to fail his exam. Undoubtedly.

Once the elevator gave its finals beeps, the door parted open, both boys stepping out simultaneously to the hallway. Kihyun waited for Changkyun to lead the way, heading to his right side and only stopping near a tall door with a golden 306 embodied in it. Changkyun quickly fidgeted his keys out, inserting them in the lock below the handle; swinging it open once the click sound was heard.

Kihyun trailed right behind him, hesitantly following him inside the room. Changkyun closed the door behind them, and Kihyun then looked at his surroundings. The dorm was notably as big as his apartment, with the living room opened up to a kitchen on its far left. There were two distinct doors on the wall across, probably leading to rooms, as they were both closed. Kihyun noted there was no door to a bathroom, which prompted him to believe there were actually two individual bathrooms, one for each room. He dreaded that if he needed to use one, he would have to pass through Changkyun’s room to, which was most likely the case.

His daze came to an end when Changkyun gestured for him to place his bag on the kitchen table, Kihyun complying almost instantly.

“Sorry, that’s the bigger table we have.” Changkyun said. “My desk is quite small, plus my room is a mess right now.”

“It’s… Fine” Kihyun said, tuning out the mentions of entering his room, awkwardly pulling a chair from the table. They were made of plain wood, with a tiny cushion incorporated in the seating area. At least, his would be comfortable.

The other boy had vanished through the door on the far right side, the left one presumably belonging to his unseen roommate. Changkyun returned soon after with a new set of clothes, a definitely more comfortable choice – a white t-shirt, complimented by a pair of black sweatpants. He headed towards the kitchen, stopping by his fridge, opening the door and examining the contents inside. The top shelves seemed empty, Changkyun’s search dropping to the lower ones, inducing him to squat down. Kihyun released a breath he didn’t realize he was holding.

He was probably staring too much; recalling the origins behind Changkyun’s name on his phone.

Changkyun turned to him, extending Kihyun a can of coke he’d scavenged from his fridge. “I understand we need to study and all, but I can’t let you starve.”

Kihyun accepted despite himself. “Thank you, I shall not starve now thanks to this unhealthy beverage.”

Changkyun smiled, pulling the chair beside him. “I’ll feed you actual food once we get some done.”

Before Kihyun could retort something inappropriate, Changkyun gestured him to open the manual on page 185.

 

Everything was going smoothly until Kihyun decided to ask Changkyun to explain something he couldn’t understand on the exercise at hand.

He seemed to unconsciously lean closer to Kihyun; eyes solely focused on the paper, where he was writing down an example, explaining throughout at him. Kihyun’s eyes rummaged up to Changkyun’s face, his breath hitching slightly, ignoring whatever the other was scribbling on the paper. The things Kihyun had tried to ignore over the previous days, dissolved into the air as their faces were barely inches apart – closer than they’d ever been. Kihyun’s heart fluttered, his gaze heavily dropping to Changkyun’s lips as he softly spoke; so plump and beautiful. His stare lingered there for a few moments before darting his eyes back to the forgotten paper.

He hadn’t been subtle at all; so glad Changkyun seemed too immersed on his own explaining to notice. He was still physically close, and Kihyun tried to focus on the words he articulated, when a pounding on the door seemed to startle Changkyun as much as it had Kihyun.

He looked horrified at his host.

Changkyun sighed, getting up from his seat and walking towards the door, opening it before he could peek through the peephole. Kihyun considered getting hold on a knife from the kitchen - just in case, you know - but sadly, he didn’t know where Changkyun kept them.

Kihyun watched as a figure stormed into the apartment, launching their arms into the air.

God ing finally, I’m so glad you are here, I didn’t brought my keys so I’m feeling incredibly blessed right now. I could even- “ he trailed off, noticing a shocked glare from the kitchen table.

The boy reciprocated the shocking look.

“Kihyun?”

“Jooheon?”

Jooheon’s gaze darted between Changkyun and Kihyun, settling finally on the boy sitting by the kitchen area. He beamed surprisingly at them. “You guys just won me 20 bucks.”

Kihyun didn’t dare question it, whilst Changkyun just heavily exhaled. “Kihyun’s here to study; don’t jump into conclusions. I was actually in the middle of explaining him something before you interrupted us.”

Jooheon seemed to falter at that. “Sorry. Still, do you mind if I borrow my room for tonight?” he asked, dropping his jacket on the rack beside the entry door.

Changkyun’s features softened at his words. “Did you two fight again?”

The boy gave him a weak smile, sad even. “Yes… I… don’t really want to talk about it right now. You guys to back to your studies, alright?” he said, heading towards the left door, immediately shutting it close behind him.

Kihyun was still somewhat puzzled by the scene, sitting patiently on the table. “So… Jooheon’s your roommate?”

Changkyun turned to face him, sliding again onto his seat beside Kihyun. “Yes, he’s a nice guy. He’s cool, he’s just… never around for us to be all buddy buddy, you know?” he said. “Whenever he is, it’s pretty chill though. I have no complaints.”

Kihyun shot him a smug grin, his mechanical pencil from one to another. An additional habit, where chewing was not present. “Yeah, I wouldn’t want to be buddy buddies with you if you spoke to me the way you did with him on the phone.”

Changkyun stared at him. “What- Oh. That.” he laughed, waving his hand dismissively. “It pisses me off since he’s always forgetting , you know?” he said, gaze settling once again on the papers. “So, where were we?”

Kihyun crooked his head at him, smiling innocently. “Could you like… start from the beginning?”

 


lol i tried to be funny but failed lol

also wtf? why do i write too much? i swear this was only drafted at 3k words but suddenly it's almost 8k?????? aha a  AHHA  hahh also this is awful and word was a to me, i swear, if u see any formatting errors, tell me ;A; plus the usual grammar error thing aaa

also thank you, thank you so much to everyone who commented/subribed on this ♥

i can't belive u like this like wow wth a a ahahahh

i'm awkward at replying, and most likely won't on comments here, but feel free to hit me up on twitter @ nightraycest