Five

Diamonds In The Sea

"I like you, Taemin."

Minho said is so casually as he was once again leaning on the rocks that Taemin almost didn't catch it. 

Did he ...

Taemin's surprise - not surprise, more of sudden shock really - must have shown on his face, because Minho suddenly blushed and stuttered out, "N-no, not like ... like that, uh - I like you as a friend. It's ... nice being around you."

Oh. Although a tiny, tiny part of him felt ever so slightly disappointed - he didn't know why - Taemin felt something in his heart, a flicker of candlelight in the pernament darkness. It blew out quickly, but it had been there. Illuminating the black cavern. 

"Me too, Minho hyung." Taemin found himself replying, and the bright, happy smile that Minho flashed him from below was enough to make Taemin's lips curve up slightly. 

He hadn't smiled in so long, it was like he had forgotten how to.

Minho had asked him about it once. 

"Why do you never smile?" Minho inquired, looking at him. The tone of his voice was curious - not angry, or disgusted. That was new. But then, this was Minho. Minho, who was unlike anyone he had ever met before. 

But that didn't stop Taemin from freezing on the spot, the air around him suddenly feeling like it was freezing. Without knowing, he had started to tremble. Such a simple question. Such a complicated answer.

Or perhaps not so complicated?

He could just say, "Smiling means that I'm happy, and I don't deserve to be happy." He could just say, "My parents abuse me, nobody likes me, and I am disgusting." He could just say, "I haven't smiled for years. So I've forgotten how to." 

But why would he?

It was only after a few seconds did he realize that Minho was saying his name. 

"Taemin? Taemin - what's wrong?"

He quickly shook his head, forcing away the tight feeling that curled around his chest. "No. It's nothing. Don't worry, hyung."

Minho had frowned, not convinced. "I'm sorry if I upset you ..." he said slowly. Shaking his head once more, Taemin had waved it off, and tried to turn the converatoin back into the lighter tones. 

But that time, Minho had left with a more worried expression in his eyes. 

"Taemin?"

"H-huh?" The boy turned, blinking. Minho was waving an arm in front of his face, and unknowingly, he blushed. "Hello? Anyone in there?"

Blinking, Taemin leaned away, a confused look on his face. "Oh, I zoned out. Sorry." And he tried to look sheepish. 

Laughing, Minho shook his head. "You really are something, Taeminnie," he said fondly. Taemin blinked. Me? Yes. Did he mean me? Of course you idiot! Where is another Taeminnie that he might be talking to? 

"Mm." He didn't reply with words. Instead, he felt his lips starting to curl up into the ghost of a smile once again. 

 

 

Taemin scribbling down hastily into his notebook as the teacher droned on about maths equations and how x divided by 2ny must surely make 2x/2nyx ... or something. He shook his head. When was he going to use algrebraic equations in life again?

You're not going ot have a life to use it. That's why. 

Taemin's hand stopped taking notes as he flinched. Why are you back? You've been gone since yesterday. 

Of course I'm back. I'm a part of you, remmember?

But that doesn't mean -

You know you can't control me. 

Taemin felt the sharp telltale stings at the back of his eyelids, and his eyes began to blur. It was true. 

And if he was too weak to control himself, what was he going to do?

The vibrating of his phone in his pocket drwe him away from the thoughts, and he let the buzzing distract him for as long as he could until he pulled it out quickly, and unlocked it under the desk. 

Message from: Unknown number

Who would message me? Taemin wondered, and held his phone in his lap whilst he copied down a fwe more notes before looking down and reading the text. It was short.

Hey Taemin, um, it's Kai. 
I was just wondering, maybe you want to hang out sometime? Maybe at lunch?
ps. save my number, I already have yours :)

Kai?

The image of the tanned, slim boy who met him at the gate flashed in his mind. 

"See you around, Taemin!"

Oh. 

Biting his lip, he paused. He was unsure. He had really, no experience with socializing, he was that loner at school. And he was pretty sure Kai was popular. Wouldn't hanging out with him ruin his image? 

His fingers ghosted over the screen, hesitating. 

Then he typed, 

Maybe? I wouldn't mind, but don't you have other things to do?

Like hanging out with people who aren't weirdos like me. 

I can make lunch, and maybe in the late evenings. 

After he's gone ... home ... after going straight to see Minho after school. 

After hesitating for a while longer, Taemin pressed send. 

Then he saved the contact. 

Looking back up to the board which was now filled with numbers and letters and symbols, Taemin quickly started writing. 

For the moment, ignoring the buzz as the phone vibrated in his pocket, signalling a message which could probably only come from one person.