Final

My Silver Lining

The irritating sound of my alarm forced me out of my slumber. It was just another day like the rest. I looked over at the calendar that was on my bedside table and frowned. The date was December 11th, my birthday.

 

For the last 5 years, I've spent my birthday alone. My parents were too busy with their business trips that they were rarely home. My older sister, Yuri, hardly even acknowledged my existence. Even when I excelled in my studies or got a school award, they were never there for me.

 

I got myself out of bed and went off to get changed and ready for school. I considered just staying home today, but I didn't want to be alone at home all day. Besides, it was finals week and I had my history final to take.

 

~

 

The minute I crossed onto school property, I felt the eyes of students on me. I had to admit, my appearance wasn't so pleasing to look at. I constantly wore glasses that concealed my eyes along with my bangs that covered half my face. My wardrobe was also questionable as I always wore ill fitting clothes.

 

I quickly made my way to class. I usually tolerated the stares of others, but I didn't want to deal with anyone today. My classroom was on the west side of campus which was designated for the highest ranking students.

 

As I made my way towards my seat in the class, I noticed something out of the ordinary. There was a white rose and an envelope on my desk. Cautiously, I went over and picked up the rose.

 

The fragrant aroma of the rose made a smile form on my face. I took hold of the baby pink envelope and carefully opened it. I didn't know what exactly to expect from it, but I actually looked forward to reading its contents.

 

“Dear Nari, I know you've been going through a rough time lately so please stay strong. I just wanted to make a small gesture to show you that there are people who care for you. Have a lovely birthday my angel.”

 

There was no name on the card, which oddly surprised me. I put the rose and envelope in my backpack as I noticed class was about to begin. I sat down and awaited the exam that I was to take this class period for my final.

 

~

 

Lunch hour for me consisted of hiding up at the rooftop of the library. During this time, I'd usually be the target of bullying by the students in my grade or the one above me. On a lucky day, I'd get away with only a few things thrown at my body, though that was a rare occasion.

 

As I ran to my destination, I was soon blocked by a group of tall boys. They looked like they were at least six feet tall and could easily defeat me. It didn't take long for them to start throwing water balloons at me with the majority hitting my body.

 

I did the only thing I could do, run away from them. They were soon after hot on my trail. I was pretty fast, but they appeared to be just as capable as me. The intense pain in my legs from running in countless halls was becoming unbearable, but I couldn't give up.

 

I ended up on the east side of campus where I knew my sister would be hanging out. I didn't want to run into her so I chose to head for the south side of school with what little energy I had within me. The footsteps of the bullies began fading away, but I knew I had to keep going or they'd still catch up to me.

 

The south side had several cracks in the concrete which I had failed to remember. My right foot ended up tripping on one of those cracks and causing both my knees and left arm to be scraped on the jagged cement. I rapidly got up, ignoring my injuries, and continued on.

 

It wasn't until I started running out of breath that I noticed the guys were gone. They had probably given up on chasing me after nearly going around the whole school for me. That's when the pain in my knees started kicking in. I had ripped my clothes and could see the blood stains starting to form around the torn bits.

 

The infirmary was in the main building on the north side which was far considering I was on the opposite side of campus. I decided on doing the only thing I could at that point, go towards the bleachers.

 

~

 

The pain from my injuries was quite unbearable. Bending my legs and left arm were almost too much to handle. As I sat on the lowest level of the bleachers, I attempted to clean my wounds and hopefully have the pain lessen.

 

Unfortunately for me, I didn't have any first aid materials in my backpack. Today was just not my day. All I could do then was to sit and wish the pain would go away. I was so focused on my pain that I didn't notice someone headed towards me.

 

“Are you okay Nari? Do you need help?”

 

I turned my head towards the voice. It didn't take long for me to recognize the person as one of my sister's friends, Hyoyeon. She was constantly with my sister and her group of friends. I'd see her around campus from time to time and on a weekly basis at my house.

 

“I'm okay Hyoyeon. Just go back to your friends. You wouldn't want to be seen with me.”

“You're not okay. You knees are bleeding. I should get you to the nurse now.”

“No, I'm fine.”

“You're not fine. Let me help you.”

“I don't need your help.”

“Aish. You and Yuri are exactly the same. Always refusing help. Well you know what, I'm doing this for your own good.”

“What are you doing Hyo---AH! PUT ME DOWN!”

 

Hyoyeon had me carried over her shoulder as I tried fighting back to get down. I had never known she was strong enough to lift me up with such ease. It was only when she stopped moving that she had me standing on the ground again.

 

She had brought me to her car that was just outside school limits. I was hesitant to enter, but I didn't have the strength to run away from her. I'm guessing she sensed my unease to the situation.

 

“I know you're worried about trusting me, but let me help you Nari. I'm not going to hurt you.”

 

She held onto my hands as I struggled to sit down. Once in a comfortable position, she put my seatbelt on and closed the car door. A small smile formed on my face from the gestures Hyoyeon did for me.

 

When she got herself settled in the driver's seat, she took hold of my left hand in her right hand. I turned away from her as I could feel myself blushing from her holding my hand. A small laugh could be heard from Hyoyeon as she knew why I turned away.

 

Truth be told, I always had a small crush on Hyoyeon. I had always imagined her being my girlfriend, but soon the thought became more hopeless. She'd never set her eyes on me, the social outcast. She was the popular girl at the top of the social ladder and I was at the bottom.

 

~

 

It wasn't long until I saw that we had reached the gates to my house. Hyoyeon went around her car and assisted me in getting up. She closed the side door and proceeded to lift me up on her shoulder. This time, I didn't bother struggling in her arms like I had before.

 

We headed in the house and soon enough was set down on the old couch in the living room. Hyoyeon rushed off to the bathroom where she knew the first aid kit was. She came back with a bottle of disinfectant and a box of bandages.

 

“Considering you're in bloody clothes, I suggest you go change into a pair of clean and comfortable clothes.”

“I'd love to Hyoyeon, but it hurts to move my legs and my room is on the second floor of this house.”

“In that case would you like me to carry you upstairs?”

“If you wouldn't mind.”

 

Yet again, Hyoyeon picked me up and this time proceeded to take me to my room. As we got to the door leading into my room, Hyoyeon set me down and helped me walk in. I got a pair of blue shorts and a grey tank top out of my drawers and slowly made my way to the bathroom to get changed.

 

~

 

Upon exiting the bathroom in my spare clothes, I saw Hyoyeon looking at the items on my desk. She had the picture of my whole family in her hands. It was the only picture I had with my parents honestly.

 

“Do you miss them?”

“What?”

“I said, do you miss them?”

“I guess. It's been years since I've seen my whole family together. That picture in your hands was the last one we took.”

“Do you ever wish you could be with your parents and Yuri again?”

“All the time Hyoyeon. I miss being cared about.”

 

The conversation went silent as neither of us knew how to continue with the flow of the mood. Hyoyeon avoided eye contact with me as she cleaned up my cuts and applied bandages to them. Once she was done, she excused herself and left my house in a rush. I couldn't blame her for leaving as it was my fault for killing the mood in the first place.

 

~

 

I had told myself to only take a 30 minute rest, but that actually turned out being a 6 hour nap. The clock on my nightstand read 7:36pm so that meant Yuri was out with her friends and my parents were still on their trip. Again, I was alone at home.

 

I hadn't eaten since the morning so I tried my best at walking down a flight of stairs to go find something to eat. It wasn't as painful to walk now as it had hours ago, but it still hurt. The pain was somewhat similar to being slapped repeatedly in the same spot.

 

As I got to the bottom of the staircase, I noticed a light emanating from the kitchen. No one was supposed to be home right now so the light in the kitchen made no sense. I cautiously approached the light as I didn't know what it could be.

 

What I saw honestly surprised me. On the table was a small birthday cake with one candle in the middle. Alongside it was another white rose. Tears threatened to fall as I got closer and held the rose in my hand.

 

“Well are you going to blow out that candle or not?”

 

I turned to the voice in the shadows and saw Hyoyeon emerge. She had probably gone out hours ago to get me the small cake. I soon felt the tears I was holding back fall freely.

 

“Oh come on. Please don't cry Nari.”

“How can I not? You did this for me when none of my family members even remembered.”

“Forget about them. They may not see how much of a special girl you are, but I do.”

“You were the one who left me the note and white rose on my desk before class, right?”

“I wanted to give those to you personally, but the girls needed my help before school.”

“Thank you Hyoyeon.”

“Don't thank me yet. You still have to see your present.”

 

Hyoyeon went over to the living room and came back with a medium size box. I didn't know what to expect from the contents, but it didn't matter since it was honestly the thought that counted. The minute the top of the box was removed, a small german shepherd puppy attempted to climb out.

 

“Oh my gosh! A puppy!”

“I knew you've always wanted one and you said you were lonely so I got you a little friend to keep you company.”

“You didn't have to get me a puppy.”

“I know, but I just want to see you smile. You look a lot prettier when you smile, like an angel.”

 

I picked up the puppy in my left arm and hugged Hyoyeon with my right. I couldn't feel any happier at that moment. Even if I didn't have my family with me, I had someone who cared.

 

“Nari.”

“Yes?”

“Turn around.”

 

I did as Hyoyeon said and saw both my parents and Yuri in the doorway. Instead of feeling joy or happiness, anger took over and made me storm out of the house. I didn't want them here. It was too late for their explanations and apoligies.

 

~

 

My legs stung, but I didn't care. It wasn't until I reached the park that I stopped and sat down on one of the benches. There was no visible light other than that of the moonlight above me.

 

I didn't want to go back home as long as those three were still there. I may have said I missed them, but they can't just come back into my life and expect me to take them in with open arms. They were my family, now we're strangers who share similar genetic material.

 

“Next time you run off, can you please bring a jacket. It's cold out.”

“Why are you here Yuri?”

“Hyoyeon asked me to come after you. She's worried.”

“At least someone is.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Well when have you ever cared for me? Last time I checked, you didn't.”

“Don't say that. I do care.”

“Now that's a joke. If you ever cared, you'd get those jerks at school to stop bullying me. They're your friends yet they take part in causing me pain. Or maybe you'd acknowledge the fact that I'm your sister once in a while? You always tell me to stay in my room when your friends come over so they don't see me. Just say it, you don't care.”

“You're right. I've neglected you as a sister, but that doesn't mean I don't care.”

“They why haven't you ever stopped my bullies?”

“My popularity got in the way of what is right. I'm sorry. Please, just give me a chance to make it up to you. I promise I'll treat you better.”

“You're not forgiven yet, but I'll consider that second chance.”

 

We sat down on the bench that I had been at not long ago and just looked up at the sky. Though we had very little in common, both of us loved the night sky and its endless supply of stars. We hadn't noticed how long we were out until Hyoyeon came to fetch us.

 

“So have you forgiven her?”

“Not yet Hyoyeon. I still don't trust her.”

“Do you trust me?”

“Sure I do. Why do you ask?”

“Check your coat pocket.”

 

Inside the right pocket of my coat, there was a folded piece of paper. I opened it up and was shocked at the contents. The words “will you go out on a date with me?” were written in Hyoyeon's messy handwriting.

 

“Are you serious Hyoyeon?”

“Just answer. Yes or no.”

“Yes, of course. I'd love to go out on a date with you.”

 

Hyoyeon hugged me tightly as I did the same. I could hear the teasing remarks from Yuri a couple of feet away, but I didn't care. All that mattered at that moment to me was Hyoyeon and nothing more.

 

Birthdays are supposed to be a day full of love and happiness. I may have gone on a rollercoaster of emotions on my special day, but it was worth it in the end. My 17th birthday was a day I'd never forget all because of Hyoyeon.

 

Hyoyeon is my silver lining.