"Listen. Do you want to know a secret?"

Do you want to know a secret?

Kyuhyun stirred his iced tea with his straw as he watched the male sat across from him—too busy listening to the band up front to even notice what he’d been doing for a while now. He was glad though. It gave him a chance to admire how handsome the said man was; watching as a smile crept to his face as the song ends. He clapped along with the others even though he had no clue what was going on or what was going to happen next.

It was the last song for the night, the vocalist of the band said. Great, it was almost time to go home. Almost time for them to part ways again. Just great. He lifted one of his eyebrows when he heard the guitarist play a familiar tune. A tune that goes way back to when he was still a kid. He recognized it since his parents liked listening to that particular band from the days—and he had grown to like them and their music. Listening to it now made his fondness for the song grow even more, and oh, how much he wanted to thank the band for playing it at the perfect moment.
And so, he turned his attention back to him, admiring the features of his face while he listening to the song; listening closely to its lyrics and matching it with his feelings towards the man in front of him, who, fortunately, had his eyes closed as he took in the song. The lyrics were a bit different, but who the hell cares, right? It’s a song. A song that he now claims to be his. Theirs.

A love like ours
could never die
As long as I
have you near me

Soon he finds himself lip-synching to the song, which he knows is, well, kind of stupid. And way too obvious. They weren’t the only ones there at the moment, and he’s sure the people they are with have noticed this a long time ago, yet there was only one person who’s so slow at such things – it even irks him sometimes. 

The sound of the crowd cheering snapped him out of his thoughts. The song was over. It’s time to go, he thought to himself. The night is over, too. 
If only he could turn back time and perhaps pause it at the perfect moment. Or just keep rewinding those two minutes over and over, he would. To listen to that song again while he memorizes Jongwoon’s features, he would gladly do so.

They were the only ones left outside of the pub they were just at; their other friends already gone home. He finds it weird yet amusing, how a moment like that could happen to the both of them. Like in those romantic movies he and his sister used to watch back then. It was quiet, though he didn’t feel awkward at all – he was hoping the other wasn’t feeling awkward, too.

“I liked the last song very much,” he said in order to break the silence. The older male looked at him with a gentle smile, saying how he liked it just as much.

“The Beatles,” he started. “You like them too?”

“My parents listened to them a lot back then.” Kyuhyun beamed at this, knowing how he and the person he’d come to like – he wasn’t sure if he should call it love. Not yet – likes the same band as him.

“Shall we g—“

“Listen,” he suddenly sang. It was probably the alcohol one of their friends made him drink finally kicking in. Anxiety suddenly kicked in as well, as he realized what he just did. No turning back now. 

“Mhm?” 

To hell with it.

“Do you want to know a secret?”

“. . . Are you seriously singing th—“

“Do you promise not to tell? Woah, oh woah~” Jongwoon laughed at this, then grinned at him; he takes this as a sign that he was enjoying it. His nervousness vanished because of it. “I promise.” Jongwoon said.

Okay. Just go with it. “Closer,” he gestured for him to step closer to him, which he did. “Let me whisper in your ear,”

He started feeling nervous again. The lyrics – he forgot that it was a declaration of love!

He stopped for a bit, just staring at him. The other was waiting for him to finish the song while watching him with an excited look. So he did. “Say the words you long to hear . . . “ 

“I’m in love with you.” They both sang. 

Kyuhyun took a few steps back, feeling his heart beat faster. No, it’s just the song. It’s just the song!

Jongwoon looked down at his shoes, clearing his throat a bit. There was silence for a few minutes, and it was just then when he felt the awkwardness. “Uh,”Jongwoon turned his gaze at him, giving him a questioning look.

“I don’t know if it’s just the song or the alcohol Heechul made me dri—“

“But you only drank a glass of wine—“

“—will you go out with me?”

“What?” 

The older male fell quiet for a second, and Kyuhyun was about to turn around and leave when Jongwoon held onto his wrist to stop him. He hesitantly looked back, preparing himself to get rejected. “Are you serious?”

Kyuhyun nodded. There was silence again. He mentally beat himself up when he came up with something stupid to say, but his mouth was a step ahead of him— 

 “. . . Will you be the Paul to my John?”

Jongwoon laughed at this, making him laugh as well. The other then flashed a smile, moving his hand from Kyuhyun’s wrist to hold his hand instead. “I never thought that you can be this dorky, Cho Kyuhyun.”

“I’m full of surprises.” He smirked.  His heart skipping a beat when Jongwoon started walking—walking home with him. 

Looks like having a family who likes the same band can be put into good use sometimes.

——

Guess how much I judged myself for using that "Will you be the Paul to my John?" line. Haha. Not sure if any of you listen to The Beatles, but if you do... hit me up and let's be friends-