Comeback

The Interpreter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm sorry since it took me so long to update. I became too attached to this story that I unconsciously didn't want it to end. Again, there's semi-mature stuff here so you can skip it if you'd like to. As you all know, this would be the last chapter. This is the very first story that I've finished and I feel so accomplished. I still need to improve a lot in my writing and I want to challenge myself in the next stories I come up with. Thank you all for the patience and support! I'll be posting an epilogue soon. :) 

 

“I am so proud of you, sweetheart.” Your mother’s embrace tightened as you kissed her cheek. The tears that pooled in your eyes made you realize how much you had missed her.

“I love you, ma. Thank you so much for raising me well.”

“My baby girl… always so sentimental.” Your father cooed as he hugged you from behind—fully encasing you and your mother in his arms. You could hear him quietly sniffle and you suppressed the urge to cry right then and there.

“I love you too, pa.”

He kissed the top of your head as you reveled at the warmth and affection they were giving… and had been showering you since you were born. It had been so long since you got to see your parents and now they were in London for your very first exhibition. The gallery was small but the 5-day showcase had finally ended. You had been so busy preparing for it that you had forgotten to have a social life these past few months. Everything had been so hectic yet the excitement of having your own exhibition only pushed you further. It surprised you to see a lot of people coming by and was even more surprised to have several paintings be already purchased by art collectors. Despite the excitement at this incredible turning point of your life, you still felt a lingering sadness that you couldn’t brush off no matter how much you tried to be optimistic. He told you last week over the phone that he wouldn’t be able to fly to London because of his schedule. You had been looking forward to seeing him again. It had been six months since you had last seen him and the longing was too immense that you found yourself crying alone sometimes.

And so having your parents with you on the last day of your exhibition eased your heart.

“Excuse me.” One of the gallery staff spoke and the three of you separated from each other—chuckling at your display of affection. “The New Day painting was purchased just now.”

“Really?” The surprise in your voice made her smile. That painting was the biggest one in your collection and it was the most expensive.

“Yes. A handsome lad just walked in a while ago and instantly bought it.” Your heart picked up at the information and there was only one person that popped into your mind. “I think he’s still downstairs.”

“You better go see that generous person.” Your mother winked and you quickly excused yourself—half-running down the stairs and then stopping when you saw him standing in front of the large painting that was just purchased—hands on his back as his head slightly tilted up.

It felt like your heart was caught in your throat and the tears you had been holding back streamed down your cheeks as you ran and collided on his back—arms tightly wrapping around his waist as his familiar scent enveloped you. The small surprised grunt he made was enough for you to start sobbing—your face burrowed on his expensive suit.

“Yah…” Spoke that deep voice you only got to hear through your phone for the past six months. You felt his hands hold yours as he gently freed himself to turn around and face you. As soon as you met his gaze, your lips pulled down and started quivering as the tears continued. Those eyes you loved so much were looking at you fondly.

“You look like a sad kitten.” A small smile crossed his lips as he cupped your face in his hands and placed a gentle kiss on your forehead. “Did you miss me so much?”

The pout that you gave made him chuckle but you could see his eyes starting to water as well.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’d be here?”

“I finished my schedule early since I couldn’t miss your exhibition.” He kissed you on the cheek then. “Congratulations, baby. You’ve actually made it.”

Slightly standing up on tiptoes, you kissed him on the lips without any care if there were still visitors around. There was no one who could hold you back from feeling his lips on yours. He put a hand on the back of your head as you encircled your arms around his neck. The kiss deepened as you felt him lightly run his tongue against yours. You both pulled back when you heard conversation behind you. Looking back, you saw an old couple discussing a painting displayed nearby and there were about three other people who didn’t seem interested at the two people who were just making out. Seung Hyun smiled shyly—ears flushing once he realized it was the first time you ever kissed with other people around.

“I thought I’d gone crazy for missing you so much.” You caressed his cheek and he blinked the tears that pooled in his eyes. “Ah… I missed my crybaby.”

“It’s been hard for me, too.” His voice was almost a whisper and you hugged him. This time, feeling like you were the happiest person in the world for having him there with you.

A long-distance relationship was something you never thought you would experience. While Seung Hyun finished his service, you were studying in London. Not long after your graduation, you were fortunate enough to be chosen for an exhibition. The connections you made and the apprenticeship you underwent bridged you into the art world. You had done everything without Seung Hyun’s help and you felt incredibly accomplished. When there was enough time, you would take that chance to fly back to Seoul and spend a few days with Seung Hyun. There were months in between your visits and the longest you had been separated was these six months. Phone calls, FaceTime, messages, photos… you two tried to communicate with each other as much as possible but there were times it was impossible to find the proper timing given he was back in the limelight and you were drowning in studies and work.

“Where are you staying?” You pulled back and he ran a finger on your bottom lip—making your stomach flutter.

“Four Seasons. I’m going to be here for three days. And I know you’re not doing anything after your exhibition so you’re coming back to Seoul with me.”

You remembered telling him about it last week and you were planning to fly back to Seoul after this as a surprise… but he beat you to it. Chuckling, you pulled his face down and gave him a chaste kiss.

“My parents are here.” You relayed that information and his eyes widened. “They’re upstairs. Do you want to meet them?”

His mouth slightly opened as if he was about to say something but instantly shut it. The way he looked down at his feet like a little kid told you he was nervous.

“Do they know about us?”

“I told them I’m seeing someone but they don’t know it’s you.” You suppressed a grin when his eyes went wide again.

“So they know me?” You nodded.

“They know you and BIGBANG. They’ve watched Tazza and I think my mother has a bit of a crush on you.” His face visibly blanched and you linked your hand with his. “I’ve already met your family and it went well, right? My parents are the nicest and coolest people you would ever have the pleasure to meet.”

His shoulders relaxed then as he smiled down at you. “Aside from you?”

“Where do you think I got my personality?”

The chuckle he gave made you want to just shower him with kisses but there would be enough time for that later. Hand in hand, you walked upstairs to where your parents were waiting. You were excited to see their reaction. They had been pestering you to get a boyfriend for a very long time and your father once even joked that you could date a BIGBANG member—not knowing it came true. They were conversing in front of an art installation permanently displayed in the gallery. Approaching them, your father glanced at your direction and did a double take to see his one and only daughter holding hands with a man… and not just any man.

“Pa, Ma…” You smiled at them as you felt Seung Hyun’s hand tighten around yours. Your parents were eyeing him in disbelief and you wanted to laugh at their dumbfounded expressions.

“I’d like you to meet my boyfriend, Choi Seung Hyun.” You introduced your parents to him as well and Seung Hyun politely bowed and shook hands with them.

“It’s nice to finally meet you.” He seemed rather confident when he spoke but you knew he was probably a bunch of nerves inside.

It was your mother who spoke first. “How long have you been dating?”

Calculating the time you had been together since that time he confessed in Tokyo, you replied casually which made your parents mouth part.

“Three years tomorrow.”

It was already Seung Hyun’s birthday in Korea but there were still a few hours left until it was November 4th in London. It was his birthday three years ago that you and him became official. And you hadn’t exactly prepared any gift for him. You would have to think of one later.

“You’ve been together for three years and you never told us about it?” Your father exclaimed but there was an amused look on his face.

“I told you I’ve been seeing someone.”

“We thought it’s nothing serious. But three years, sweetheart? That’s a long time already.” Your mother chuckled as her eyes looked at Seung Hyun fondly. “I hope my daughter isn’t giving you any hard time.”

Seung Hyun blushed while gesturing his hand to disagree. “Not at all, ma’am. Your daughter has been very good to me. I think I’m the one who gives her a hard time.”

“When did you ever?” You elbowed him lightly as he smiled at you.

“Please call me eomeonim. You’re as good as my son-in-law already.” Your mother giggled which made you gasp in disbelief while your father laughed.

“And call me abeonim.”

“You two are ridiculous.” You chided but they both looked happy.

Seung Hyun’s face was beet red as bowed his head and gave a small, “Ah… yes.”

 

The four of you went to have dinner at an Italian restaurant you booked two weeks prior as a treat to your parents. They engaged Seung Hyun in conversation and you could see him getting more at ease as the dinner went on. He laughed and joked at times—making your mother fall in love with him a little bit more. You and Seung Hyun worked together to tell them how you two met and the events that transpired since then—with a few omissions of course. And you told them about your plan of going back to live in Seoul. You would create your own workshop there and contribute to the art field in Asia. You had more connections and even Seung Hyun’s artist friends wanted to collaborate on projects with you. It was an opportunity you wouldn’t pass on. Your parents, as always, were supportive of your choices and only wanted you to come visit them in Vienna once in a while.

Right after dinner, your father asked Seung Hyun to go with him to the bar. Seung Hyun looked flustered but he politely went with your father without a word. You were not worried for him since you knew your father well. He loved you and he was protective of you… but not to an extent that he would scare off a man who had taken interest in his daughter. For all you knew, he would do the usual interrogation and ask Seung Hyun about other things the next minute.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter