Chapter 1:

Mysteries of the Night

            It was not a mystery to anyone of Hoseok’s outside schedule hobbies, nor did anyone dare to ask when would he return from them, they just let him clear his mind the only way he knew how.

            Having a bubbly personality can wear anyone down, slowing exhaust them in ways that no one properly understands how it happens. It wasn’t because he wished to live in a world of fantasies, pretending to have a permanent smile on his lips, nor was it to keep the image of always being cheerful; it was much more than what plain mundane eyes could see. There was a missing element in his life that not even the greatest riches could bring him, nor he planned to buy it because he knew very well that money would not buy such a thing.

            The constant battle of once again abandoning his room to drown himself in his guilty pleasure raged on as his gaze switched from the door to the bunk. It was a very simple task to pull the sheets and dive himself into the comfort of his bed, shut his eyes and slowly drift off into unconsciousness. Sadly, there was no available options, he would always give into his personal euphoria and leave his room deserted, knowing that when he returned later that night his friends would be lying in their beds, worriedly, waiting for his arrival.

            Packing his usual bag, he hurriedly abandoned his room, silently hoping to not stumble upon any one on his way out. By now, he knew that none of his friends would question his disappearance, yet he also knew that all of them would stay up late in attempts to wait for him, to no avail.

“Leaving again?” A familiar voice broke his concentration as it snapped him out of his thoughts. The eldest amongst his friends and the one who would worry the most looked at Hoseok with a gentle and worried gaze, knowing perfectly where Hoseok was heading.

“Yeah. I need to get out for a while. Don’t wait for me, I’ll arrive late.” He said in a slightly cheerful yet monotone voice.

“Hoseok…” Seokjin paused knowing that it was a lost cause to even debate with his stubborn friend. “Fine, I’ll leave your portion of dinner out for when you arrive.” He finally said before returning his attention to the numerous dishes he was preparing for the rest. Seokjin was not indifferent to the situation at hand, nor was he dismissing it. He knew far too well that no matter what he said to Hoseok, his words would just fly with the wind, reaching deaf ears that refused to heed to his words.

Hoseok simply nodded before shutting the door behind him; his expression switching from the usual bubbly and cheerful to a cold and serious one.

            Human emotions were extremely questionable, to the point that it was amusing. There was nothing more amusing as watching others attempt to understand someone else’s emotions when they could not even understand their own.

Pity, envy, jealousy, happiness.

            How could such things be of such importance when you could also live a fairly interesting life without them? But, who was him to question the existence of these when he was the first one to have outbursts of random emotions.

            The temperatures were beginning to drop at rapid paces as the sun bid his farewells, leaving behind shimmering colours that shifted in the sky, slowly changing into the darkness he was so comfortable with. Being the type to be jumpy and easily frightened, Hoseok found comfort in the night; he found it exciting the idea of darkness enveloping his body into the unknown, leading him to places full of mysteries and new adventures. Yet, it was not enough. Nothing was enough for him, just his avocation, and even then, it was temporary.

            His thoughts were overwhelming his entire being, causing great levels of distraction. It wasn’t until it was far too late that he noticed that he missed the turn into the usual underground spot he enjoyed visiting on a daily basis. No one would miss him either way, they didn’t know his identity nor did he know theirs; they were just toys that he used for his personal luxury.

            The whirring of cars, the low mumbling of voices as they avoided his path and the sounds of dripping water from the lonely alleys kept his senses at their peak. Both his native tongue and foreign words would reach his ears, commenting on his appearance and how they are to avoid stumbling upon such a dangerous man’s path. But, how’d they know that he was dangerous when they didn’t even know him? A small grin tugged at his lips.

Amusing.

Ignorance was a curse for many; a privilege to few.

            Wondering endlessly through the very well-known streets of the major city, he decided that he was going to let the unknown drag him away for the night, take him on a new journey that may bring him just what he needed. Little did he know that the mysteries of the music of the night would lead him to the end of his journey.

            Turning on his heels in attempts to head into a new direction, his ears perked up at an unfamiliar rhythm of music playing in the distance. The upbeat yet gentle sound was enough to grab his attention, setting his body into auto pilot to follow the sound. As he got closer, the music became even more unfamiliar and the place in which the melodic sounds were emerging from seemed to differ completely from Hoseok’s usual taste. At that moment, he had the option of turning around and forget about the place, but something about it was calling his name and it begged for him to explore it.

            With a daring smile on his face, he pushed the door open with confidence and stepped inside.

Unlike his usual places, his eyes had no trouble adjusting to the lighting since the place had a faint glow that made it eerie but at the same time it held a new feeling that he was completely unfamiliar with.

            The bartender greeted him cheerfully, offering a drink as he sat down; his eyes still scanning the place.

            Different, it was indeed different.

            Unlike the places he was accustomed to visit in Seoul, this place felt different and welcoming. It didn’t hold the feeling of competition nor the smug looks that people would give him when he walked in, in fact, no one really payed attention to him; it felt good.

            Calling over the bartender, Hoseok ordered a simple carbonated drink; not because he couldn’t drink, mostly because he refused to intoxicate his body with such substances that would later on turn into further addictions that he obviously refused to be dragged into. The sound of people moving tables and chairs grabbed his attention. Turning on his seat, his eyes trailed across the room as a few male workers moved obstructing objects away from the dance floor. He attempted to divert his attention elsewhere, knowing fully that if the music began, he would be dragged onto the dance floor and exhaustion would wash over him in the morning; but the empty space called his name, his body begged to get back into movement and for him to indulge in the only thing that was left for him to adore; but something else distracted him from jumping from his seat.

A pair of playful yet innocent eyes encompass his entirety in mere seconds of crossing his line of vision. A gentle smile tugged at her lips as she finally gets the attention of the man that had stolen her interest the moment he came in.

Hoseok, for once, was taken aback by the genuine smile that the young female displayed towards him.

Suddenly, his drink becomes the most interesting thing in existence as he attempted to avoid her gaze. Her lips curled naturally with amusement and curiosity towards him.

"Mind if I sit here?" She asked in a tone that appeared to be playful. It was that moment that he was swept into staring longer than he wished into her deep yet uniquely coloured eyes. He tried to stutter some words, but inaudible noises seem to be the only thing to leave his lips. The chiming laughter that escaped her lips was enough to captivate Hoseok into a trance.

Taking his silence as a positive answer to her question, she proceeded to take the seat by his side and called over the man behind the counter by a name that Hoseok didn't seem to catch. 

Truthfully, Hoseok could not hear a single noise. His attention was on the female's voice. The way the casual words in a foreign tongue left her lips seemed to mesmerize him.

His mind was a sudden blur; he could blame the lack of rest or the lack of food to excuse himself from not paying attention to the woman sitting by his side but the way she patiently waited for an answer destroyed Hoseok's ability to lie.

Seeing the confusion wash over his handsome features, (y/n) repeated the question.

"This is your first time here, isn't?" She repeated sweetly, hoping that this time she could get a listen to his voice.

“Never seen this place before.” He began while his eyes scanned the place. “It hasn’t been here long, has it?”

“We opened up a few nights ago.” She replied cheerfully, taking a sip of her own drink. “And it seems like you will take a glimpse of the first show of the night.” She continued tilting her head in the direction of the dance floor. Hoseok was afraid to look; he was afraid of what he had walked into but his body betrayed him, showing him a sight he had never seen before.