001

Stranger

Arriving back to his apartment from an early jog, Taekwoon puts his favourite cereal on a bowl and pours milk into it. Sipping his coffee in his left hand while reading the news paper on the other. This has been Taekwoon’s  routine since day one. Once breakfast is done, a shower is a must before going to  the office to earn some money for him to live an everyday life.

Ready to face the outside world, Taekwoon opens his apartment’s door and a tall but smaller than him by two to three inches, sun-kissed skin, fringe covering his forehead and smiling dearly man is in front of him. The stranger raises his hand and says a soft “hi”, Taekwoon’s eyebrow raised.

“Who are you, may I ask?” Taekwoon said with a hint of irritation on his voice.

“Hakyeon” said the man.

“Okay, but will you please excuse me, I’m going to be late”

“Oh Taekwoon, you are not” Taekwoon’s eyebrows furrowed.

“Wait. How did you know my name?”

“I was sent here to make you love.” Taekwoon looks aghast.

“What? If you’re one of those stalkers then get lost. I have a lot of things to do.” He is about to push Hakyeon aside but the latter hold his wrist and pushes him back to his flat.

“What the are you doing? Do you want to get sued?” Taekwoon raises his voice.

“Trust me, you can’t” Hakyeon made him take a seat on the couch.

“Relax Taekwoon, I am no harm”

“The fact that you are here inside my house and you are a complete stranger, you are indeed a harm.” Taekwoon stated. Hakyeon chuckled.

“What’s funny?”

“Nothing, I said relax. Fine, I’ll introduce myself.”

“I don’t need your introd-“

“I’m Hakyeon. I was assigned and sent here to make you feel loved and love.”

“I don’t need that.” Taekwoon protested.

“Oh yes you do”

“Who sent you here in the first place?”

“Yourself”

“Enough with this blasphemy. Go out or else I’m going to call the police.”

“Go on.”

Taekwoon is puzzled. This Hakyeon doesn’t seem to be frightened about the police. “What is he?” He thought.

“Seriously, you need to get out of here. Or I’ll kick your .”

“Taekwoon, just relax, I am just here to make you feel loved and when the time comes you know how to love, I am going to disappear.”

“Disappear? What do you mean disappear?”

“Vanished, gone. Poof!” Hakyeon uses his hands to emphasize every word.

Taekwoon opens his mouth as if to say something but is cut out by his cellphone ringing. Looking at the device, “” flows through his lips and grabs Hakyeon’s elbow and lead them outside.

“Go away, I don’t need you.” Taekwoon said as he checks if he unlocks the door and sprints his way to the office.

 

Taekwoon arrived at his office just on time. He was not late, Hakyeon was right. Works here and there are waiting for him and as soon as he starts, the sooner he forgot about the stranger called Hakyeon.

 

5:00pm says the clock and it’s time for Taekwoon to go home. He decided to visit the grocery before going home, he is running out of cereal and milk. With a plastic bag full of foods, Taekwoon enters the apartment building, and then he remembered the stranger, he wondered if the said stranger left already. Arriving at the fifth floor, he saw the stranger sitting hugging his knees in front of his door.

“I told you to go away”

Hakyeon looked up and smile at the sight of Taekwoon. “Hello Taekwoon, how was your day?”

Taekwoon didn’t say anything but fishes out his keys and opened the door before saying “go away” then he entered his apartment before banging the door on Hakyeon’s face.

 

Taekwoon feel bad from what he did. He knows he is not like that to bang a door on someone’s face so he cannot hide that fact that he can’t sleep because of Hakyeon. He got up and puts on his running shoes with a pair of hoodie and sweatpants. Not a bad idea for a late night run, right.

 

As he grabs the doorknob, he feels anxious that it was somehow familiar, the scene, the setting, and more. He opened the door and of course, Hakyeon is still smiling at him.

“Late night run?” asked Hakyeon, still smiling.

“Why are you still here?”

“I told you I’m not going to disappear until you learn how to love.”

“I know how to love.”

“Not really implying it tho”

“I don’t need to”

“Oh, I think you do”

Taekwoon didn’t argued back but moved aside to make a space for Hakyeon to enter his apartment. “come in”

Hakyeon was shocked at first but smiled and made his way in.

“thank you” Hakyeon said.

“Okay, I’m going to let you stay the night but get out before the sun rises.”

“How cold of you. I’m just here to do my job.”

“How much are you getting paid for?”

“I am not getting paid.”

“You said this is your job.”

“Yes.”

“But you’re not getting paid?”

“Yes.” Hakyeon smiled.

“How is this a job but you’re not getting paid? What company are you in?”

“I’m not under any company. Besides, money means nothing for us.”

“Us. You mean, there are many more like you out there appearing in someone’s house saying they need to learn how to love?”

“Yes.”

“What are you, really?”

“Call me an angel, fairies; name them all you humans are talking about. And oh humans like the concept of a cupid. I’m like that, a cupid.”

Taekwoon burst out laughing. “You’re kidding right?”

“No.” Hakyeon said sternly.

“But where is your arrow and bow?” Taekwoon is still laughing.

“You humans have this misconception about cupids. I’m not the stereotype cupid.”

“What do you mean?”

“I was not sent here to shoot people’s heart to fall in love. I was sent here to those people who are lonely. To give them love. To make them love.”

“Okay, so many have you freaked out before me?”

“You’re the first”

“To freak out?”

“No. You’re the first, and you’re going to be the last, if you made me disappear.”

“You’re making me dizzy.”

“Then sleep. Don’t push yourself too much. Do you want me to sing you a lullaby?”

“I may be lonely but I’m not a baby. Sleep on the couch”

“I don’t sleep.”

“Now you’re a vampire.”

 

Taekwoon woke up and shakes his head. “What a weird dream” he said. He puts on his running shoes to start his day with the daily routine he has but he stopped his tracks when he smells a freshly cooked bacon lingering his nose. He followed the smell and it lead him to the kitchen where he see the man in his dreams cooking him breakfast.

“Am I still dreaming or”

Hakyeon turned around and smiled his million-dollar smile. “Good morning, did you sleep well Taekwoonie?”

“.”

“Sit and eat your breakfast. You should not be hungry before going to your work.” Hakyeon ‘pull one on the chairs and beckoned Taekwoon to sit.

Taekwoon has no options because the bacon is making him drool in all ways possible. When was the last time he ate a bacon? Nobody knows. He steal glances at the smiling Hakyeon who watches him eat.

“I’m just curious, what if I learned how to love?”

“I already told you, I’m going to disappear.”

“What if you fall in love with me? Just curious.” Taekwoon clarifies.

“I’m going to be a buman, but I’ll forget everything.”

Taekwoon nods and finishes his breakfast. He thinks he is going to have a different daily routine starting today.

 

Time passed by and Taekwoon seems to get used to at Hakyeon’s presence. But  there are times when he just can’t handle Hakyeon’s abrupt moves like hugging him behind and whispering on his ears saying “you are loved”. There was one time that Taekwoon arrived home with Hakyeon holding a cake with lightened candle, singing him happy birthday, telling him to make a wish and blow the candle. Telling him “Thank you for being born, Taekwoonie, you are loved.”. Taekwoon’s heart skipped a beat. Hakyeon placed the cake on the nearest table and hugged Taekwoon, he had to tiptoe to place a kiss on his head. Taekwoon thinks that is cute and his heart beats faster, he thought he is going to have a heart attack. He never celebrated his birthday but thanks to Hakyeon he remembered he was born and still alive, breathing.

 

There are times Taekwoon doubts that Hakyeon is a ‘cupid’ because he sometimes feel the love from Hakyeon but the said cupid isn’t disappearing. Not that he is complaining but he thinks what kind of love does Hakyeon mean?

 

Taekwoon hates rainy season. He is an astraphobic, a person who has a fear of thunder and lightning. Another thunder strikes and there he is again, cover with sweat, shivering under his blanket. A 184cm baby curled up in fear until he feel a warm hand searching for his shoulders, tapping it lightly and saying “I’m here. Don’t be scared.” The warm, soothing voice makes Taekwoon’s shivers stop. He peeked out of his blanket to see Hakyeon’s worried face.

“Don’t fear the thunder, I am here. I’m going to protect you.” Said Hakyeon with a reassuring smile.

It takes another loud thunder to make Taekwoon throw himself to Hakyeon as the latter shush him while putting him into his arms, hugging him tightly, repeating the same “it’s okay, I’m here” over and over again.

Taekwoon woke up feeling warmth all over his body. He opened his eyes and met a pair of eyes full of admiration looking straight at him. He realizes he is face to face with Hakyeon and back away.

“Feeling better?” Hakyeon asked.

“I guess?”

“Good. Take a shower and I’ll cook your breakfast.”

“Wait.”

Hakyeon hummed in response.

“Did you sleep next to me?”

“Cupids don’t sleep.”

“Then what did you do all night?”

“Watch you sleep” Taekwoon’s heart skipped a beat. “and makes sure you’re not gonna be frightened by the thunder and lightning” Taekwoon swears his heart’s gonna pop out of chest anytime soon.

Taekwoon knows he can feel the love from Hakyeon. He can feel something but he can’t just figure it out. But the fact that Hakyeon isn’t disappearing yet, makes him puzzled. This just means, he doesn’t know how to love yet or something he isn’t really sure about.

 

Time gone by and there’s the rain again, to make it worst, it’s a storm that’s bothering him. One straight week having Hakyeon beside him, making him comfortable and uneasy at the same time. Comfortable in a way the warmth of Hakyeon enveloping him, uneasy because he  feels the care, the love and he wants to give it back to Hakyeon.

 

Because of what happened, Hakyeon was staying beside Taekwoon everynight to make sure Taekwoon falls asleep peacefully. Taekwoon was fine with that.

 

One day, Taekwoon bought home a plastic bag ful of groceries. Hakyeon fetch it out from Taekwoon’s hands and say “got this, you should rest” and made his way to the kitchen to put the groceries where they belong.

“What’s this?” Hakyeon holds out a drink.

“Banana milk.” Taekwoon said.

“Banana.. milk? Banana bears milk?” Hakyeon’s face is full of ignorance. Taekwoon smiled.

“Idiot. It’s a banana flavoured milk. Taste it.”

Hakyeon took a sip and made incredible amazed look. “THIS IS DELICIOUS!”

Taekwoon laughed and mouthed “cute” and Hakyeon was so engrossed at his drink to notice.

Since then, Taekwoon makes sure the fridge doesn’t run out of banana milk.

 

One morning, Taekwoon woke up and saw Hakyeon beside him, eyes shut, mouth slightly opened as he breathes steadily. He smiled and raises his hand to push Hakyeon’s fringes away from his face. Then it hit him. He remembered Hakyeon said that they don’t sleep. Hakyeon was lying. Or he’s not. Taekwoon wasn’t really sure.

 

“Hakyeon” Taekwoon calls out. Hakyeon’s eyes slowly opened.

“You fell asleep.” Taekwoon said. Hakyeon’s eyes widened in a sudden realization.

“I ... fell asleep?” Hakyeon was flabbergasted.

“Yes.”

“This should not be happening.”

“Why?”

“We do not sleep. It’s human’s doings. I am not human.”

Taekwoon don’t know what to say. Is Hakyeon starting to be a human? But Hakyeon can only be human if he fall in love with Taekwoon then he will forget everything.

 

“Hakyeon” Taekwoon calls softly. “Let’s go out today.”

“Why?”

“It’s my off. I need a break.”

“Okay.”

There they were at the park, enjoying the sun, looking at the kids running and playing around. Sipping coffee at Taekwoon’s favourite coffee shop. Buying some grocery before going home.

 

“Today was fun, thank you. I can’t recall when was the last time I’ve been happy like this.” Taekwoon said.

“It is my job.” Hakyeon smiled. Taekwoon forced his smile.

“It wasn’t just your job for me. It was your love for me. Thank you. I feel loved.” Taekwoon said looking into Hakyeon’s eyes. “Please don’t disappear yet. I still need you. Fall in love with me.”

“I can’t.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“Sleep Taekwoon, you’re tired.”

Taekwoon didn’t argue and just lie down hugging Hakyeon. Shifting closer to the cupid, looking at him in the eyes. He moved  closer as he closes the gap between their lips. “I love you” said Taekwoon still kissing Hakyeon. Tears rolled down from Hakyeon’s eyes as parts of his body slowly turns into small piece of paper becoming ash as it flies away. Before Hakyeon disappeared completely, he whispered at the kiss, “I love you too, I’m sorry.”.

 

Taekwoon did learn how to love. Unfortunately, he needs to learn how not be lonely.

 

There’s a knock on Taekwoon’s door. He lazily stands up and twists the doorknob and opens it. He was welcomed by a million-dollar smile of the boy on the threshold. He blinked twice, he knew this man. “there’s a reason for me not to be lonely anymore” he said.