Chapter 1: Jaeling

Matching Fragrance

"Where is Junsu?" Jaejoong asked the moment he arrived at the restaurant. He had been texted earlier to meet with his friends for some noodles. He had expected all of his single friends would be there, but to his surprise only Youngwoon and Sungmin were at the meeting point.

"He got a girlfriend?" Sungmin replied, his intonation showed how he was confused with the question, he had expected Jaejoong to know that already.

At that, Jaejoong sharply looked at Youngwoon. "Tell me it was not you again." He threatened with an accusing finger pointing at the older male.

Youngwoon looked at the younger with impartial eyes, and continued being mute. With that reaction, Jaejoong flailed his hands in the air before taking his seat. Sungmin pat his arm, sharing his frustration.

"We are the last three standing." Sungmin sounded sincerely torn, as a second year high school student he also wanted to have a relationship, but so far Youngwoon had made sure to point him all the cons of all the girls that had ever asked him out.

"If not for that nosy over there we wouldn't be single,” Jaejoong grunted, pleased to see his friends had already ordered and their food was already being delivered . "Let's drown our sorrows in noodles." he added before digging in.

"I'm in no way forcing any of you. If you want to date the wrong person, then date. I'll gladly inform you when your soulmate shows up." Youngwoon finally defended himself knowing all too well that despite their friends being sour, they were incorrigible romantics. They didn't want to play around, they wanted the one.

Three swallows later, Jaejoong couldn’t refrain his curiosity. “But how did this happen?” He slammed the chopsticks on the table and glared at Youngwoon. “You said there was no good match for us in our school.” he wailed a moment later, already picking up his chopsticks again.

“I did.” Youngwoon nodded with his mouth full. Once he swallowed, he added. “Yesterday at his soccer game, there was a girl on the opposite team’s bench, she was part of their female team, and well she was his perfect match. I told him that when the game was over.”

Case closed. Jaejoong could only groan and stuffed his mouth with black noodles. Sungmin on the other hand just chuckled. Sooner or later, they would all find their matches.

 

 

•*¨*•.¸¸♥•·.·´¯`·.·•♥¸¸.•*¨*•

 

Youngwoon was finishing up his math homework before classes. He was very concentrated and a bit desperate, that’s why, when he smelled Jaejoong’s familiar scent, he didn’t bother looking up. “Jae! Lend me your math notes!” he asked, reaching his left hand backwards, while his right hand continued to write numbers down.

There was no reply to his plea. Youngwoon grunted. “C’mon, Jae, it’s not time to be executing petty revenge on me! Let me check over my answers. You know I can’t fail the next test!” the older male continued to plead, his hand was insistently asking for the notebook, but his eyes were still glued on his own.

Feeling annoyed with the lack of response, Youngwoon finally looked back. “Kim Jaejoong, lend me your…” he started to shout, but soon shut up as the one sitting on the desk behind his, was not his best friend, but a beautiful girl with long brown hair and an angelic face. She looked at him startled, before she looked around.

“I’m sorry is this seat taken?” She asked with a small voice, clearly surprised and taken aback.

“Who are you?” Youngwoon asked dumbly, an accusing pencil still pointing at the clueless new face.

She laughed, adjusting a strand of hair behind her ear. “I’m sorry… I transferred today from Taiwan. I’m Wang Xinling.” She replied, a lovely blush colouring her cheeks as Youngwoon kept looking at her with - in her eyes - such cute baffled face.

Youngwoon reached his right hand for a handshake, some part of his brain starting to function again. “I’m Kim Youngwoon,” his velvety voice welcomed her. “We don’t have marked seats, but my best friend often sits behind me. If you could be so kind as to seat by the window it would be great, that is the seat that is often empty.” He added completely turning around and staring at Xinling. She was truly pretty, and seemed a bit shy as she quickly gathered her belongings and moved to the seat to the left.

“Ok…” She mumbled once she was comfortable. “Why do you keep staring at me?” she asked feeling a bit uncomfortable with his blatant gaze.

“Oh my manners, sorry…” Youngwoon mumbled, turning around. But he did take in a deep breath. Her scent was totally the same as Jaejoong’s. Youngwoon tried to revert his concentration back on his homework, but he failed as his brain started to decompose her smell in an attempt to match it to Jaejoong’s in all aspects.

Youngwoon has been born with a higher sense of smell. He was able to identify people like that, and he often said that smells to him were almost like fingerprints, people were mostly distinct from each other. There were the special cases though, there were people with smells so very similar, that he could easily mistake them. He first noticed that with his grandparents, he could hardly tell them apart; they had married at a young age and even after fifty years their feelings for each other had never wavered. Meeting up with his grandparents best friends, he noticed those couples were like his grandparents, having similar smells and having long lasting marriages.

Youngwoon understood that chemistry was a trait of soulmates when his parents divorced. They had mismatched scents, whenever they were too long at the same place their scents would mingle into something irritable. At first Youngwoon was very bitter, as a seven years old, he didn’t want his parents to divorce. But as he grew old, he started to trust his senses. Whenever his parents would start dating someone with a non-harmonising smell, he would stomp his feet and be against. When his parents finally found their one, they were extremely surprised with how accepting Youngwoon was. That support was extended to his friends, whenever they showed interest in someone, Youngwoon would in. Slowly he became known as a matchmaker.

To Youngwoon, someone’s scent was made of two distinct parts: a natural permanent scent they were born with and a myriad of fleeting smells from everyday’s life. Taking in Xinling’s scent, he could identify that she had cats and dogs; she had cooked breakfast that morning, bacon and eggs; she either ran to school or had gone jogging very early.

He was so concentrated, trying to skim all scents, that he was startled out of his wits by a notebook being slammed on his desk. “Give me your history notes.” Jaejoong demanded not even waiting for a reply, he simply moved further and took his seat. “Don’t let him close to you, or you will never be able to date. I’m Kim Jaejoong, what shall I call this pretty new face?” He quickly engaged in a lively talk with the new girl, giving her his best flirting smile.

Youngwoon on the other hand, silently checked to make sure his friend had finished the math homework, before he got his history notes from his backpack.

“Wang Xinling.” the girl replied with a bright happy grin. Youngwoon stared at them, he could practically see the scents swirling around them forming the frame of happily ever after. “Why do you talk bad about your friend? He did nothing but protect your seat.” She teased, looking over at Youngwoon and smiling once he put his history notebook on Jaejoong’s table.

“That guy is known as Mr. Matchmaker. If you become his friend he will not let you date until he finds your perfect match.” Jaejoong replied, crossed arms in front of his chest, distraught expression as he stared at his table. “You will be cursed if you become his friend.” He added with a mocking gloomy intonation before looking back at her.

Without looking back, Youngwoon shook his pencil. “Not happening. I already matched her.” He teased.

Jaejoong's jaw dropped. Xinling laughed at his comical expression filled with indignation.

“I'm not your friend anymore. I hate you, Kim Youngwoon.” Jaejoong finally exploded. “Give back my math notebook!”

“Give back my history one first.” Youngwoon shot back. Xinling laughed again at Jaejoong messing up his hair in pure frustration, it was very obvious how the two of them trusted and needed each other for the success of their school life.

“Friendly advice: stay away from both of them.” a new voice sounded and Xinling stared at the new male that had taken a seat beside Youngwoon; tall, skinny, dirty blond hair, warm brown eyes, angelic smile. “Hi. I'm Park Jungsoo. The only normal one in this corner.” he added reaching for a handshake.

Xinling greeted Jungsoo back. It was quite a funny start for the first day in a new school for her.

As the hour advanced, more males sat around Youngwoon; all of them were his friends. At one point Xinling noticed the girls in class were all looking at her and whispering. She started to fear for her safety, sitting close to good looking guys was never a good idea for transfer students.

When the bell announcing the end of the first class sounded, some of the girls approached, surprisedly enough surrounding Youngwoon and pleading him to make a matching session during lunch.

“He is really a matchmaker?” she questioned Jaejoong, who patiently explained about Youngwoon’s ability.

“That's not possible.” Xinling mumbled to his explanation.

Silence ensued. The girls around Youngwoon silenced with mouths agape until one of them mumbled. “She's new… That's why.” meanwhile Youngwoon turned around and faced Xinling, a relaxed smile on his face.

“What's the name of your cat?” He asked with a light joking tone. “Also, what is the name of your dog? Why did you have mochaccino with bacon and eggs? That's too much of a western breakfast don't you think? Where are you living? Some streets are not very good for a lone girl to be jogging in the morning.” Youngwoon took right after a very deep intake of air. “You use chocolate shampoo,  at first I thought you had brought sweets, but now I noticed it's coming for your hair.

The more Youngwoon would say, the more Xinling would feel baffled and Jaejoong, cold. He stared at Youngwoon hard until his friend glanced at him and chuckled. The bastard had found his match and didn't say anything.

On the other hand, Xinling slowly tried to smell herself. Pretty much everybody that had questioned Youngwoon’s ability had done that so far. She thought it was amazing but she was not going to say that out loud. “Are we neighbors?” she asked instead, maybe he had seen her move in the new house, there could be plenty of explanations if Youngwoon had seen her before school.

Strangely enough Youngwoon chuckled and Jaejoong stared at her with that cute shocked expression he had been wearing for a while. That had been the very same question he made so many years back when they first met and jaejoong learned about Youngwoon's ability.

“I assure you we are not.” Youngwoon turned around to inform the girls he would host a matching meeting during lunch. Xinling was still finding the situation incredulous.

 

 

•*¨*•.¸¸♥•·.·´¯`·.·•♥¸¸.•*¨*•

 

Hours later, Xinling followed Youngwoon and his friends to the canteen. She was quite shocked to see that apart from Jaejoong, all the other boys had girlfriends and even though Jungsoo sat with a tall red head guy, it was pretty obvious they had a romantic relationship.

“There will be a matching event today?” a brunette cutie boy asked while sitting beside Youngwoon. He had not seen Xinling, so when she asked if he was Youngwoon's boyfriend, the young man almost spit his juice on her. Thankfully Jaejoong had a napkin ready in time.

“This is Lee Sungmin, Xinling, and no, not dating, he is cursed like me without a match.” Jaejoong replied while the new girl silently thanked him. “Min, this is Wang Xinling, she transferred today from Taiwan.”

“Oh, hey,” Sungmin greeted dumbly “avoid this guy.” He warned pointing at Youngwoon,  who rolled his eyes and stuffed himself with food. Xinling looked at the famous matchmaker and wondered why his eyes seemed had a split-second glimmer of sadness.

While they ate, they kept talking, Xinling mostly spoke about Taiwan and how it was back in her homeland; why she was so good in speaking Korean, her hobbies and how much she loves her dog and two cats. At one point Sungmin also had the same glimmer of sadness in his eyes, she was unaware that her speech was just confirming how much she matched with Jaejoong.

When the matching started, Xinling stood aside even though Jaejoong had dared her to participate. She refused his dare by claiming that she didn't want a matchmaker and, even if she wanted to fall in love, she didn't want to be told who to love like those girls.

At the end of the day, Xinling was still oblivious that she was Jaejoong’s match, which in a sense had pleased Sungmin, he didn't want to be the only one Youngwoon had not been able to match.

 

 

•*¨*•.¸¸♥•·.·´¯`·.·•♥¸¸.•*¨*•

 

Against all the warnings and advices, Xinling became Youngwoon’s friend, even joining the boys on their single’s black noodles day. But with time passing, with Youngwoon constantly mistaking her with Jaejoong every time he was concentrated on his notebook or using his locker, with every time Jaejoong posted about his dog, or his cat, or what he did at the gym or sharing pictures of the dishes he had made, pictures of his new pair of sunglasses, his new hairstyle, she noticed how similar they were.

Part of her was bit annoyed with herself, mostly because she felt drawn to Jaejoong since the first post he made with his cat. When realisation finally hit, she was angry at Youngwoon for being right, he was always pushing them together, always creating occasions for them to study together, he was silently matching them and she felt angry he was successful because she really liked it every time she was alone with Jaejoong.

She was the angriest the day Jaejoong arrived at school with a small bouquet of peach roses, leaving them between their tables. At the end of classes Jaejoong left the flowers behind, Xinling felt tempted to take them, but decided not to. When she was by the gate Youngwoon called out, saying she had forgotten something, she had had barely time to turn around when Youngwoon threw the bouquet in his hands. 'It's not mine' she felt tempted to say, 'it's Jaejong's, but Youngwoon had said it had her scent all over the bouquet so it was hers, if she admitted out loud that the flowers had Jaejoong's scent she would be accepting the match. That day Xinling swore to have her sweet revenge against that mean matchmaker

Nevertheless another part felt sorry for Youngwoon. He was very subtle, his actions always easily mistaken by his friends. Youngwoon had a major crush on Sungmin. It was obvious to her, how he often did everything to please Sungmin, how he would kindly tell him the latest girl to ask him out was not his match. She noticed all that and decided to try matching them. Like Youngwoon did, she tried to create opportunities for them to be together alone. But despite her attempts of opening Sungmin's eyes, the younger would only end up unintentionally hurting Youngwoon, vehemently refusing every comment she made on how the two of them looked good together, even scolding her when she got them to kiss through a pepero game.

Ultimately, Xinling felt overly sorry when Sungmin started dating.

It was such a surprise. Youngwoon had been the most shocked when Sungmin stated firmly. "It's true. I found my soulmate. Yesterday Youngwoon hyung brought me from the gate a handkerchief that belongs to my soulmate. That's how I found him."

Everybody but Xinling and Jaejoong were paying attention to Sungmin. They were both staring at the sour face Youngwoon had while staring at his food. Heechul - Jungsoo's boyfriend - had been the first to ask Sungmin about the person, it was the second time Youngwoon had matched a gay couple so he was overly interested.

It was clear on Youngwoon's face how he didn't want to hear about Kyuhyun, a younger male, best friend with Sungmin's younger brother, someone Sungmin knew longer than Youngwoon, someone that was a math genius, perfect vocals, cute inability to cook. Someone that was Youngwoon's total opposite. When Youngwoon reached his limit he excused himself from the table.

After classes, Xinling and Jaejoong found Youngwoon crying in a dark empty laboratory. Xinling asked Jaejoong to go find Sungmin, tell him that maybe because Kyuhyun had stayed over at Sungmin's place his scent might’ve rub off onto him, thus the handkerchief was not proof enough. Jaejoong agreed and left in Xinling's hands, his distraught best friend.

Xinling sat beside Youngwoon who silently dried his last few tears.

"Now I'm the last one standing," Youngwoon mumbled, offering Xinling a small smile. "Please, Xinling, accept Jaejoong already." his voice was so rough it broke her heart.

"You matched us, didn't you? He is not going anywhere." Xinling replied, trying to glee Youngwoon's matchmaking ego.

To her surprise he grimaced. "I always thought Sungmin was my match, I thought he wouldn't go anywhere. But there was a third someone with the same fragrance, it was the first in my book so grab Jaejoong already."

"Sungmin is your match? Why didn't you tell him sooner?!" Xingling argued slapping Youngwoon's shoulder. "Scratch that! Go tell him!" She stood up and tried to pull Youngwoon along with her, but he easily pulled her back down.

"What for? You saw how happy he is, you know how much he has always rejected the idea of us being a match. It was one reason why I never had courage to tell him." Youngwoon denied Xinling. "I built a fantasy in my head, Ling. A fantasy that was broken by a third compatible scent. All I can do now is hope a fourth is out there for me."

Xinling sat beside him dejected. Youngwoon had a strange power with his words. Whenever he spoke with such finality, all will to argue with him would be gone. She still felt bad for her friend.

 

•*¨*•.¸¸♥•·.·´¯`·.·•♥¸¸.•*¨*•

Youngwoon was morosely staring at the street, waiting for his black noodles order to be served.

"Auntie, two more shares here!" Jaejoong's voice startled Youngwoon out of his thoughts. He stared while his best friend and his perfect match sat in front of him. They both had such identical annoying smirks on.

"Why are you two here? Do you want to make me feel more miserable? I don't want to hold candles!" Youngwoon protested.

"You will not." Xinling stated matter-of-factly.

"For the record. I agree with Xinling, that you should have told Sungmin. And for the second record I'm totally whipped." Jaejoong stated with a mocking resigned expression.

"Uhh my cuttie puppy." Xinling coed pinching Jaejoong's cheek.

"Guys!" Youngwoon sighed looking out at the street again.

The yet-couple-to-be smiled sadly at Youngwoon. "If you think we will let you moop, then forget it. We are not going to officially date until you find your match." Jaejoong stated.

Youngwoon stared at them with mixed feelings.

"It's something we agreed on, Young-bear, you need your friends now, and we will be here for you," Xinling added. "You are not getting rid of us."

Youngwoon tsked over the noodles that had just been served. He matched those two indeed, too perfectly. "Sincerely, I'm touched. If you get too mushy I'll feel in the right to throw noodle sauce on you both. Be warned."

Youngwoon would do anything for those two, he decided on it that day.

 

•*¨*•.¸¸♥•·.·´¯`·.·•♥¸¸.•*¨*•

On following single's noodle day, Youngwoon's friends started to show up, all but Sungmin who per Youngwoon’s request was kept oblivious to that arrangement. That was not a very wise decision on Youngwoon's part, because months later when Sungmin found out the friends were taking turns on keeping him company, the younger was not pleased.

Unannounced he showed up at the noodles shop and as usual sat himself beside Youngwoon. "Why did nobody tell me the single’s noodle day still exists?" he questioned with a resented tone.

"Youngwoon was too pitiful coming here alone," Heechul offered as reply. "As we realised his pitifulness we decided to show up whenever we had the chance."

Sungmin turned to Youngwoon, who was stuffing himself with noodles. "Hyung, you should find yourself a match soon, your graduation is already next week, maybe in college you'll get lucky. We should rename this meeting to reunion noodles day. Right?"

Youngwoon pondered those words. "I can't find my match since I can't smell my own scent," Youngwoon lied, but then he looked up with a fake wide smile. "On another note… I was going to tell you guys tomorrow, but I feel like telling you guys now. I'm moving away… I got accepted in a pastry college abroad."

A sudden silence filled their table after those words.

"Yo man, that's awesome!" Heechul was the first to react, he greeted punching Youngwoon's shoulder but his voice was not so happy. "When are you going?"

"Three days after graduation." Youngwoon replied, at any cost avoiding Sungmin's stare. "This is the last noodle day for me. When I come back it will be to Busan."

There was silence once again, Jungsoo was about to proclaim Youngwoon would not get rid of them that easily, but Sungmin beat him to it.

"Hyung, were you stalling me?" Sungmin gained all attention with that question. "I could understand you not telling Xinling and Jae that they were a match, but why did you never tell me Kyuhyun is my match, even though you have never met him, you probably already got the gist of his scent at my place, were you really hiding it from me so you wouldn't be left alone? Why me?!"

"Yah, Sungmin! That was too mean!" Jungsoo intervened but words cannot be taken back.

"I was going to tell you at graduation..." Youngwoon lied again.

Sungmin sneered. "And here I thought you were sincere towards me." with that he stood up and left.

Those were the last words Sungmin said to Youngwoon, that was the last memory Youngwoon kept playing in his head for the next seven years.

Despite his friends efforts in reuniting everybody at important dates such as their weddings, Youngwoon would never show up, only sending his greetings. But Xinling and Jaejoong wouldn't accept Youngwoon's absence on theirs. They made it very clear on their wedding invitation as the reception location was Youngwoon's restaurant. Those tricky little ones booked the place behind his back.