Why Did I Have to Give the Chicken Magical Powers?

Um Wat

Today was Minhyuk’s day. His breakfast turned out just right, his outfit was bomb, and his hair was on point. It seemed as if nothing could go wrong. So, feeling good about himself this fine summer day, he swaggered out his door. His confident strides would carry him to the nearest convenience store where he would purchase some high-class snacks for his high-class self.

I repeat, they WOULD carry him there—if not for the witch standing in his way. The witch looked like a stereotypical storybook witch with green skin, scraggly hair, and a pointed hat. He tried repeatedly to ignore her powerful gaze and equally powerful stench. He didn’t want to talk to a weirdo like her. However, every time he stepped to one side, she stepped to the same side. They did an awkward little dance around the sidewalk before Minhyuk finally turned his eyes toward her harsh countenance.

“Yo, lady. What do you want?” he asked with a self-assured sneer.

The witch was not fazed. “I cordially challenge you to a duel, sir.” The way her lips moved irritated Minhyuk. Everything else on her face moved with them, causing the contour of her wrinkles to be exacerbated.

“Not today,” he retaliated. “Today is my day,” he said to himself.

“Well,” the witch began, “if you refuse, then I’ll just have to turn you into a chicken.”

Minhyuk scoffed, half-laughing at how ridiculous this lady was being. “Yeah, right.”

The witch said nothing and instead turned him into a chicken. “Who’s laughing now?” Her condescending tone was unbelievable to Minhyuk, who stared up at her with unreadable chicken eyes.

“Not you,” he said. Yup, he talked. He may have been turned into a chicken, but he could still talk (apparently). “No one’s laughing right now.”

The witch laughed. “There. I laughed.”

Minhyuk’s rage increased exponentially at the witch’s sass. Today was his day, and now she turned him into a chicken! Who did she think she was to act and speak that way to him? “All right, lady. I’ll duel with you.” The fire burning in his soul was practically evident in his beady eyes.

“But how? You’re a chicken.” The witch smirked and flipped her disgusting, wiry hair over her shoulder. Minhyuk shuddered internally. Seriously. She was that ugly.

“I may be a chicken,” Minhyuk began defiantly, “but I’m mad, and I want to beat you up. I’ll find a way.”

Over their heads, the skies darkened. That atmosphere grew more ominous by the second. Lightning struck, thunder rolled, and Minhyuk levitated in the air.

“What the eff?” the witch questioned in astonishment. “Chickens can’t fly!”

Minhyuk couldn’t smirk—being a chicken and all—but his smugness dripped from his words. “No, but magical chickens can.” Even as a chicken, he was as confident as ever.

The witch pulled at her gross hair in disbelief, cursing the heavens. “Why?” she cried. “Why did I have to give the chicken magical powers?”

“You should have thought about that before you… you,” Minhyuk couldn’t come up with a solid comeback. “Anyway, you’re an idiot. Now let’s duel!”

The witch got her duel face on, war paint and all. “If you insist.”

The two had a stare down for several seconds before Minhyuk cast a lightning bolt in the witch’s direction. She blocked it with her force field.

“Ha! You’re going to have to try harder than that,” she said before swinging her broom in his direction, sending a greenish beam toward him. Minhyuk countered by flapping his wings rapidly, the effect being a tornado-like wind deflecting the beam.

“Same goes to you, hag.” He was about to insult her more and barrage her with some special chicken attack, but a man was impatiently tapping his foot behind him.

“Excuse me,” the man brooded, “but I’d like to get through here. Could you stop your battle for half a second while I walk past?”

“Oh, sorry,” Minhyuk apologized. “I didn’t realize that this lady turning me into a chicken and forcing me to duel her was an inconvenience for you.” With that, he landed and let the man pass.

“Geez. So inconsiderate. People these days,” the man grumbled. Minhyuk rolled his eyes.

As soon as the man passed, Minhyuk flew through the air again, angrier than ever. “Let’s finish this.”

“Fine by me,” the witch said, raising her arms in preparation for an attack. However, before she could react, Minhyuk had dove straight at her, beak first, and pierced her straight through her cold witch heart. She screeched. It was the ugliest sound Minhyuk had ever heard. It was truly disturbing to everyone near the site.

Minhyuk withdrew from her and stared down at her. “This is your own fault,” he gloated. The dying witch raised her arm and motioned him to come closer with her fingers. He would have raised an eyebrow, but he was a chicken. He stayed in his spot. Nobody could tell him what to do, especially now that he had magical powers.

“Come closer,” the witch croaked. “Please,” she pleaded.

Minhyuk groaned. “Fine.” He approached her.

“Please,” she began, placing a rough hand gently on his wing, “tell my family—that being my creepy black cat, my lizards—“

“Yeah, I get it. You’re a lonely witch,” Minhyuk interrupted.

“Tell them that I love them.”

“What the heck? No.” Minhyuk backed away. “Anyway, I’m gonna go and terrorize some people, so peace out. Thanks for the magical powers.”

“Wait—“ The witch tried to stop him, but he had already flown away through the dark skies. With that, the witch died, her eyes turning to Xs and her tongue sticking out of the side of .

Minhyuk laughed evilly to himself, unable to smirk through his bloody beak. Today was his day indeed. Even though he didn’t have hair and wasn’t hot anymore, he could work with this. Next stop: his ex-girlfriend’s house.