Part II.

Hotarubi no Mori e.

"Minhyuk!" Hyojin screamed as she run up to the gate which was guarding the entrance to the woods she was familiar with by now. It was still amazing to her how the layout of the land somehow changed every few weeks, so no one knew it. That's how some of the Gods got their sacrifices even if they were forgotten. People would be confident that they knew where they were going, but suddenly! A surprise. The path was different to what they remembered, there was no signal so they couldn't just get a GPS and walk back out. If they got lost, they never came back. It was 2018, of course it wasn't normal anymore to make human sacrifices, so the Gods had to take it into their own hands.

Hyojin knew well what was happening in these forests. She heard a lot of stories from Minhyuk as she was growing up, but she wasn't scared. She had nothing to be afraid of because she had him by her side. He has already protected her on many occasions, from spirits, animals and even Gods themselves. But none of them, well, apart from the animals, have learnt to trust her. They were all cautious whenever spring came. No one wanted Minhyuk to be hurt. Since the day he was saved, everyone took care of him. He was like the gem of these woods which had to be protected at all costs.

Of course, Minhyuk would never let anyone touch Hyojin.

With every season that has passed, he watched her grow to become the woman which was standing in front of him now. She was already 20, done with school and studying business on a University, still in Seoul. She was actually planning on giving up Uni and just moving in with her uncle... But Minhyuk made sure she didn't do that. He knew that in the human world education was important. She had to study to be able to live well. She couldn't just walk around woods for days, without eating, without extra clothing in winter and be well.

And he had to make sure she had the best life she could.

With every year, they grew closer and closer. Hyojin was always telling him about her whole year during her stay, she did not ever fail to mention the few boys who she had to turn down. For whatever reason, it made Minhyuk a little bit happy. Knowing that no one had her to themselves.

"Let's go for a walk! Are there any new cool places here? The paths must have changed recently.." Said Hyojin while happily looking at the boy. She was now only a few centimeters smaller than him, compared to the enormous height difference 10 years ago, when she first met him.

Minhyuk took out a long piece of fabric and handed it to Hyojin. She took one of the ends with a smile on her face and tightly wrapped it around her wrist. This was the closest they got to in terms of holding hands. Hyojin knew that no matter what, she can never, NEVER touch him. If he disappeard.. she wouldn't know what to do. She felt like everything would suddenly become pointless, like she wouldn't have anything to look forward to. That summer, 10 years ago.. not only gave him a purpose, it was also how summer became something she looked forward to. Before it was also fun, yes, of course, but since that day she got lost.. it was different.

Minhyuk would still wear his mask at almost all times, which did make her upset a little bit. She would rather see his expressions, his emotions and feelings, despite whatever they talked about. The good thing was.. thanks to the amazing technology, she had a way to keep these memories forever. He wasn't a vampire or anything similiar, so he would appear on photos. Since these were days in which nearly everyone had a telephone, especially her generation, she always carried around hers. They would take pictures together, film videos and look at them the next summer. She couldn't just get him a phone and talk to him like she would do with every other person, because obviously he had no access to energy nor signal there. But he also had something to look at every day if he felt like it.

When Hyojin was 18 she brought him a little book she made. It was full of their photos together, as well as of her on her own, with little notes like "Fighting!" or "Have a good day!", for every single day of the year. There were 365 pages, full of their memories and encouraging words.

Both of them would treasure their memories in the ways they were able to.

"Have you ever thought about it? About what it would be like to touch a human?" Hyojin asked as they were sitting with their feet in the naturally warm water of the stream.

"Of course." He said. He has been thinking about it every day, pretty much. It was very saddening to think that he won't be ever able to find out. A little sigh came out of his mouth as he looked at Hyojin who was now immersed in her thoughts, while playing with the water with her feet.

"Hey, are you okay?" His voice brought her back to the reality. She put on a small smile and nodded her head.

⇒ ⇒ ⇒

"These days always go by so quickly, don't you think?" Minhyuk mentioned as they walked back to the stone steps they both knew very well. He couldn't go past them, so they would always say goodbye there.

"What can you do?" Hyojin let out a little, dry laugh, trying to brighten up the mood. It was the end of the summer yet again. Again the time to say goodbye. It was especially difficult to say it this year though. Why? Since Hyojin wouldn't be able to come back the next year. Or the year after that.

Things can get complicated easily when you enter the adult life, and Hyojin got a clear taste of that. She had to move. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was somewhere close, but this time, she had to leave for a different country. Her business course at University involved two years abroad in England, studying at the finest Universities. It was painful to think about it. It was probably the toughest decision she had to ever made. But it had to be done. She promised him that she will do it for her own sake, and then she can come back and things can go back to the usual. She can visit him in the summer again.

He walked up to her and looked at her from behind of his mask. He had a smile on his face, even though she wasn't able to see it.

Hyojin looked down at her shoes, as she nervously moved around one of her feet while fighting back tears. It was very obvious that as she was growing, their feelings for eachother were growing as well. When she became a University student, it was clear to them both how they felt, but there was nothing that could be done, so they just enjoyed eachothers company. They spent their time together in the best way they could.

Minhyuk felt horrible for being so selfish and wanting to keep her to himself. It obviously resulted in Hyojin not finding any boyfriends for herself, not going to blind dates, and absolute lack of physical affection which he knew was crucial for humans. He could live without it, since he has never knew it, but she.. He knew it must have been difficult for her.

Slowly, he took off his mask and gently placed it on her face. She looked up at the boy, confused. He wasn't able to see her expression, it's like the roles have totally changed, but he knew she didn't know what was happening. He smiled gently and leaned in, while sliding his hands into his pockets. He left a small kiss on the forehead part of the mask.

⇒ ⇒ ⇒

Hyojin couldn't be any more excited than she was. She was nervously tapping on the little table which was in front of her, while the train kept on going through the empty fields. After these long, two years, she finally was able to see him. She could hear his voice again. Yes, she had the recordings, she had the photos.. but looking at them didn't feel the same way seeing him in person did.

When she was finally running up the hill she learnt to love so much, while she was bursting with joy... she suddenly slowed down, until she stopped.

He wasn't there. Where was he? Didn't he say he would wait? He didn't know the exact date.. but.. whenever she came, he was there. He was waiting for her. Determined not to break down, she walked into the woods with the same fast pace she was running up the hill.

Shame she didn't look back. Someone was standing right behind her.

⇒ ⇒ ⇒

She had tears in her eyes, but she wasn't going to give up. She walked through the paths she has never seen before, while looking around, calling his name. But there was no response.

Suddenly, one of the spirits dropped down from one of the trees. It scared Hyojin a lot, but she knew him. He was the one who followed the Gods orders, and took care of Minhyuk. He began, "What are you doing here? He went to look for you. He was waiting. Didn't you see him?"

She was beyond confused. "How could he go looking for me? He can't leav-"

She stopped when she saw him, standing with one corner of his lips a little higher than the other one. She inhaled quickly as she wiped the tears which were already drying on her cheeks. The other spirit was already long gone, while Minhyuk slowly made his way up to her.

She was shaking a little. She was actually worried that something happened while she was gone. Someone could have found and touched him for whatever reason. Maybe he didn't want to see her anymore.. But she was glad to see him again. But something was odd. His eyes seemed fierce, compared to the gentle look he had usually. He kept approaching her until he was dangerously close. Hyojin started taking small steps backwards.

"M-Minhyuk, what are you doing? What if I touch you by accident and then yo-you-" She cut off as she stared at him with eyes wide open. Her back was against one of many of the trees as he hoovered over her. She was trapped by his body which she was terrified to touch by accident. "You know I won't be able to handle it if you disappear! I struggled so much for these two years without seeing you, please don't do this to me!" She nearly screamed, but Minhyuk stayed calm and kept on looking at her.

The silence was getting longer and longer.

"You don't have to worry about it anymore." He calmly whispered, as he slowly wrapped his arms around her. Hyojin was about to scream and push him away, but she thought to herself that if he was actually going to disappear, she had to get the most out of this moment, so she grabbed onto him so tight, as if her life depended on it.

He, however didn't tighten the hug. He gently held her small body, savouring the moment.

After a while, he pulled away and stood up straight in front of the girl, whose face screamed 'confusion'. He laughed happily, and took her hand into his. After few seconds of getting familiar with how it felt, he looked back at her.

"You know this forest is full of Gods, right? You know there are things happening you cannot explain?" He simply asked, as if it was the most casual thing to ask about.

Hyojin just nodded, not knowing what else to do. "Well.. during the time you were gone.. things happened. Things happened and-". He cut off. He looked down shyly while bitting on his bottom lip. "I'm no longer a spirit." He looked back at Hyojin. It was too much for her to take in for sure, she needed a little bit of time to process all of what was happening and of what he said.

"So what you're saying is.. is.. you're a h-human?" She stuttered and desperately grabbed onto his forearm.

"Yes."

Minhyuk felt the adrenaline rushing through his body for the first time. He took a deep breath, not being used to this feeling, feeling a bit nervous. Soon after, however, he lifted Hyojin's chin with his thumb and crushed his lips onto hers.

It was a new sensation for both of them. But both of them enjoyed it as much. Hyojin carefully wrapped her arms around Minhyuk's neck, as the latter pulled her even closer to himself. He moved his head to a side a little, trying to deepen the kiss even more, as one of Hyojin's hands wandered into his snow-white hair. It made him realise how much he was longing for her, and it made it clear for her how much she needed to feel his touch. Both of them were desperately trying to get as much of each other as they could, forgetting even about the need to breathe.

Even though things might be difficult at first, since Minhyuk can't stay in the forest anymore, both of them knew they can work it out and make it work. Together.


Woah, that was an interesting thing to write.

Well, hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it!