fourth

Your changes ...

You intentionally came to the company later than usual, deciding a well deserved break, even if it was only three extra hours, was needed to adjust and rearrange the emotions you had experienced the day before. You enter the usual staff room greeting the seniors with coffee you had bought from the store down the road, having felt sorry for choosing to have a rest while they were busy with comeback preparations.

“How’s the editing for the teasers coming along” you greet the head coordinator as you place a coffee on his table

“I’m glad you showed up today” he teases as he looks up from his laptop screen, “We finished all seven, we’re releasing Jackson’s tonight” he takes a sip from it proudly, grateful for some much needed caffeine.

“Can’t wait to see it” you smile as you begin to return to your desk only to be told news you hadn’t really want to hear. The senior hands you a neatly folded piece of paper, a packed schedule organised into dates, time and venue.

“What’s this?” you flash him a confused expression, almost nervous to hear his answer

“Got7’s timetable” He takes another long sip from the coffee, “You can do it right? Anna is still stuck with twice” he sighs with a regretful tone.

You nod slowly and hesitantly, knowing this was everything you did not need...

 

You spent the rest of the day busy with contacting different agencies and broadcasting shows, you had no time for lunch. You had spotted the got7 boys a few times busily finalising their choreography in the closed off practice room with the accompaniment of JB’s frustrated yells for them to follow the beat penetrating through the glass door. At one point during practice he had sounded so angry, even though you were busy running over to the printing room for the thousandth time that day, you couldn’t help but pause and observe what was going on. And as if God was playing some cruel game, JB also notices  you staring into the studio with the blank look he never really liked. With his arms tightly placed on his hip and his hair messily gripping onto his face from the sticky sweat while panting for some much needed air, a feeling of emptiness hung between you two as you both refuse to break eye contact from one another, almost as if hypnotised by each other’s own blank gazes.

“Hyung, can we take a 5 minute break? I’m breaking my back before the comeback even starts” You hear Yugyeom complain from across the studio as he finishes his 6th bottle of water.

“....Just 5 minutes” JB reluctantly agrees, Yugyeom’s voice pulling him out of his trance. You watch him as he finally takes his attention away from you, dragging himself over towards the sofa only to abruptly change his direction to the glass door instead.

Alarms begin to ring loudly in your head almost immediately as you begin slowly stepping backwards and away from the studio and towards the elevator down the hallway. Your small steps turn into little jogs, unsure if you were ready to face him again. You attacked the elevator button once you arrive, tapping at it ferociously, praying it would come before JB catches up to you. And as God’s cruel games continued JB’s voice breaks through the hallway causing you to accept reality and finally turn towards him.

“Hey…..” he scratches the back of his head as he jogs up to you, still puffing from all the dancing. You give him an awkward half smile, gripping tight onto the folders in your hand nervously in front of you, afraid of what he might say.

“Can we talk?” he asks just as the elevator’s ding finally rings across the floor

“Maybe later” you rush into it, “I’m super busy right now” you tap at the folders in your hand to emphasize your workload just as the elevator finally rescues you, closing its doors and forcing JB to return back to the studio.

 

He had spent the night before tapping at his phone, frustrated with himself as he opens and closes your contact over and over again. He wanted to talk to you, to apologize for being such a jerk and for pushing you away so much. By this time, it was pretty clear he had completely read the situation wrong, blaming you for what the executives had done was by far the most regretful thing he has done ever since you joined JYP. He returns to the studio quietly, the other boys already back to practicing while Jinyoung lead the choreography in his place.

“You’re back!” BamBam smiles as Jinyoung steps back into his place obediently.

“Let’s end it for today, we’re going to be busy tomorrow so go home and rest” JB orders, somehow unable to hide his own emotions as he walks over to grab his jacket and wallet.

“JB stopping practice?” Jackson’s playful tone rings through the room, “What happened to you?” he punches him in the arm as he proceeds to grab his bag sitting on the table behind JB.

“Stop joking around before I change my mind” JB warns before gesturing for the boys to leave so he can inspect the studio one final time for the day before turning the lights off.

 

The seven guys make their way down to the bottom floor, greeting the staff goodbye before routinely placing their caps and masks on to hide from the fans that usually waited outside.

 

You had just finished off the errands for your co-worker, before deciding another extra shot cappuccino was much needed, waiting patiently at the cafe near the building to bring out your order. You played with the leaves on the fake pot plants in front of you thoughtlessly, too tired to even breathe, let alone think.

“Blueberry cheesecake”

You were suddenly interrupted by the sound of the waiter

“Oh, i didn’t~” you begin to say

“The man over there ordered it for you” the girl smiles, already knowing what you were about to say as she points over to a mysterious figure dressed in black hiding behind a plain black cap standing at the register. He walks over to you and casually places himself opposite you as the waiter brings out your order.

“JB, what are you doing here?!” you lean in towards him, whispering secretively, afraid of being caught in unwanted attention. You look around cautiously, inspecting for cameras.

“I was going home and saw you here, i really need to talk to you about last night” he finally say the words you were most afraid of.

“This isn’t the right time to do it” you reply, still agitated by the setting you were in, unable to focus on the conversation.

JB scoffs, "If we go back to JYP, won't you just avoid me again?" He asks you expectantly, playing with the drink in front of him.

You cough up the coffee you were sipping on nervously, knowing you were guilty of that.

"It's not like that...I was just busy" you try to explain as you quickly pat the spill away with some tissue, already aware that he wasn't going to believe it.

"...I just wanted to apologise" JB finally cuts the small talk short, saying the words he had held onto since last night after much hesitation.

"You want to apologise?" You repeat him, shocked at what was coming out of his mouth.

He nods, "I've wanted to since last night. I've been such a jerk." He scratches the back of his neck nervously, unsure of what you might say next.

"Right..." you slowly adjust to what was happening, "but I get it. I show up out of nowhere and take your girlfriend's spot, I sort of deserved it" you admit as you fiddle with the cake in front of you, avoiding his eyes and causing JB to suddenly go silent.

 

He was becoming more and more unsure if that title really suited Haya. He felt responsible for making you feel worse about the whole situation than you actually deserve to be because of his own misunderstanding. As time goes by, he became less sure if those feelings for Haya was really love or just plain comfort that got him so attached to her after all.

 

"You didn't deserve any of it" JB finally snaps back to reality before standing up, greeting you goodbye and leaving you to get back to doing what you were doing.

 

The next day you found yourself waking up dizzy and dazed on top of mountains of paperwork that you had finished sorting out all night before. You push them aside, still half asleep to discover coffee and a sandwich sitting patiently on your desk with a note attached.

 

Don’t skip breakfast - JB

 

You smile to yourself as you take a sip of the still hot coffee, happy that you and him were finally settling your differences. You finish the sandwich off in no time before getting back to work, fixing the piles of mess on your desk and bringing them over to the manager’s room. You place it neatly on his table before heading back to the elevator. There you stand patiently tapping on the phone in your hand, thoughtlessly grinning at the ground before the ding of the elevator doors ring to life, revealing on the other side a tired JB staring back at you.

 

“Hey!” you smile stepping in, for the first time being glad to see him.

“Hey” he smiles back, suddenly filled with energy again.

“Thanks for the breakfast this morning” you say, “I really needed that coffee”

He smirks, “I know you did, I heard from Anna that you’ve been in that office all night finishing our comeback off”

You nod at his words, “I didn’t know so much work went into it” you add before the small space between you two suddenly goes silent. You both stand awkwardly staring at the door side by side, unsure of what the other person was feeling.

“.... Are ...you free tomorrow?” JB suddenly brings up, turning towards you.

“Its saturday, so i should be” you reply almost immediately, relieved he broke the ice first

“I’ll take you out for lunch….as a way to say sorry for the last few weeks” he suggests

You nod your head happily, “sure” you reply

“I’ll text you the details, see you tomorrow” he flashes you one last grin before exiting the elevator.    

 

You watch as he leaves, clutching tight onto your phone, unsure of what you were feeling towards him. A smile, no matter how hard you tried to erase refused to leave your face …but for some strange reason, instead of being immersed in your own happiness, a hollow feeling replaced it, knowing full well nothing good lasts forever….