Midnight Warmth

Midnight Warmth

"Come, my sweetest princess," singsongs Junhoe as he sweeps a strong arm around Jinhwan's small frame. "Together,"—he sweeps an arm across the sky "We shall be Romeo and Juliet. Of course, without the tragedy." He winks. 

Chanwoo rolls his eyes. Jinhwan looks over and gives him a pleading look full of despair as he tries to escape Junhoe's grasp. Chanwoo shrugs his shoulders. Jinhwan sighs and threatens to step on Junhoe if he doesn't let go.

Junhoe glances down at Jinhwan but instead of letting go, pulls him closer. 

"June, let go. I'm serious." 


"But, my sweetest blossom, whatever do you mean? We all clearly heard you coughing up a storm in there. Right, Yun?" Junhoe says as he looks over his shoulder at Yunhyeong who is angrily tapping away at the screen on his phone.

Yunhyeong grumbles in response.

"You okay, man?" Bobby asks Hanbin as they near the black van. "If you're still mad about practice today, than-"


Hanbin keeps his eyes trained on Jinhwan when he cuts Bobby off, saying: "Let me just think about things."

Bobby smirks as they continue moving forward in silence. Be wary of trying to fufill your role as a leader later on tonight.

Hanbin pushes through the seats in the middle to get to his everyday spot in the back by the window. Jinhwan is about to slide in next when Junhoe pulls him back into a bear hug from behind. Jinhwan drops his bag and squeaks as he's lifted off the floor. He flops around a bit, wailing for Junhoe to set him down but his voice cracks and comes out as a feathery whisper instead of a command.

Everyone laughs at the loss of command in Jinhwan's voice. Bobby throws his stuff down and runs for the hood of the van. He throws himself on top and thrashes around wildly, his laughter the loudest of them all.

Hanbin shoves his favorite headphones in and presses play on the title track from their upcoming mini album.

Junhoe sets Jinhwan down as his hearty laugh comes to an end. He pretends to wipe away a tear from his eye. 

"Geez, you guys are a bunch of dorks," Jinhwan says as he steps into the van. He looks toward the back, and in place of seeing it empty, Bobby sits next to Hanbin. Jinhwan looks over to Bobby's left. Another miss. Donghyuk has occupied that seat.

Jinhwan's heart sinks a bit as he sits down near the window seat in the middle row. Junhoe is about to step in next, when Chanwoo shoves himself in front. "Excuse me, sir, but one night special express for the true youngest tonight."


He nudges Jinhwan over. Jinhwan gives him a questioning look but before he has time to scoot over himself, the maknae is already shoving him down a seat. Junhoe peeks his head in with a look of sass. He bores a hole into Chanwoo's side.

"I've got you in a water gurgling contest later, Chanwoo," Junhoe says as he continues to shoot daggers into Chanwoo's side. He looks up and his eyes bug out. Junhoe has just enough time to swing Yunhyeong out of the way and plop himself down next to Jinhwan.

Yunhyeong yelps as his phone slips out of his hands and into the air. He scrambles to grab his phone as it comes sailing back down. He misses it by a hand and before he has the chance to see his phone fall, closes his eyes. A millenium seems to pass over  Yunhyeong before he slides an eye open. 

"You owe me big time," Junhoe says. He flashes his pearly set of teeth.

Yunhyeong immediately straightens up. "You punk. If it had fallen, you would have been at fault. I'm your sunbae, so I deserve-"

"Oh, hello there fairy godmother. Would you like a hug?"

Jinhwan smiles at Junhoe's antics. God, who can be angry at him. Or, at the very least, for long.

Yunhyeong lightly punches Junhoe in the shoulder as he retrieves his phone. He exhales in Junhoe's face for some more fun before swirling away into the passenger seat. Junhoe has to bite down on his cheek to keep from laughing but his laughter escapes anyways.

"Any second more and I would have made you guys walk back to the dorm," says their exasperated manager as he switches the car into drive. 

"Blame Junhoe," everyone says in unison but Hanbin and Jinhwan.

Jinhwan coughs again. He pulls up his sweater sleeve to cover his mouth and stifle the noise but everyone hears.

Donghyuk asks if he can give Jinhwan a neck massage back at the dorm. Jinhwan shakes his head no. He than offers to let Jinhwan sleep in his bed so he won't have to walk up the stairs to his own.

"Thank you, Donghyuk but, really, I'm fine."

Junhoe is quick to throw in his own commentary. "Shhhh Donghyuk. My fair maiden doesn't need a man to support her lifestyle. Shoo shoo now evil fiend."

Donghyuk sits up and stretched his arm out to the back of June's head. There's an audible thunk as Donghyuk's arm thwacks against his skull.

Junhoe feigns hurt from the light touch. "Someone, save me."

Everyone ignores him but Jinhwan who gives him a slighly exasperated face.

Chanwoo swallows before speaking up. "Hyung, it wouldn't be a problem if you slept with me and Yunhyeong. We could play video games or watch movies until morning."

"Totally! I've been dying to show everyone this killer new app Seungri recommended to me. You and Chanwoo would see it before everyone else." Yunhyeong twists his neck around to see everyone's responses. He quickly turns around when he notes everyone staring blankly back at him.

If it's Seungri, God knows what kind of app he recommended, thinks Chanwoo. Maybe I should be frightened. I could sleep in the bathroom...

"Eh, eh now. If someone is sick, the best remedy is to let them take some time off. Not kept from resting, you two," Donghyuk calmly chimes in. "And last time I checked, unless you'll be doing anything that requires anything but sleeping, than I advise you guys to find another dorm to sleep in."

"Ah, bully bully," both Chanwoo and Yunhyeong sing as they high-five each other. Chanwoo is quick to pull out his phone and text Yun that sleep is the best thing to do when they get to their dorms. Yunhyeong replies back with a smile and the word "yeah".

Jinhwan pokes Junhoe in his thigh and is just about to say something when another coughing fit hits him. He apologizes profusely to June for accidentally coughing on him. He purses his lips before giving a midget of a smile.

"It's okay." Junhoe leans in and whispers, "I'll keep quiet now." Jinhwan lets out a cute giggle.

Hanbin looks up from staring out the window and catches Junhoe leaning into Jinhwan. Bobby glances back and forth between Jinhwan and Hanbin. 
Dummy, dummy, who's the Dumb & Dumber now.
It's not until Hanbin stops staring at those two that Bobby rests his chin on his chest and lets the gentle motions of the car lull him to sleep.

Their manager pulls up to the dorms side entrance. The kids pile out. The sight of their dorm seems to seep all energy from their once energetic selves as they all trudge up to the door. Junhoe, Yunhyeong and Chanwoo shove each other around and try to trip one another as they all make a dash for the bathroom. The other four are left standing in the foyer until Donghyuk shakes his head, saying he'll go make sure they don't destroy anything like last time. The three best friends are the only ones left in the foyer now. Bobby turns and looks at Jinhwan with outstretched arms. He pulls Jinhwan into a strong, long embrace. Jinhwan's feet rise off of the ground. He watches as Hanbin silently trudges past them without taking a single glance in their direction. Jinhwan's heart gets the same feeling from before; one full of dread.

"Bobby," Jinhwan hoarsely whispers as he struggles to breathe. "I can't bre-ath." Bobby sets him back down on the hardwood floor.

"Sorry about that." He throws an arm on his neck as he casts a sorry glance at his best friend.

"Is Hanbin really that upset again? I apologized but maybe I should do it again." He coughs again repeatedly. Worry creases Bobby's forehead.

"He probably just needs to rest... properly this time. Don't  worry cutie. He'll be alright. But, you, on the other hand, look like you need some serious rest. ASAP."

"I told you I was alright," Jinhwan whines. "It's just a passing cold." Immediately after he says this, another coughing fit strikes him. His whole figure trembles.

"Alright, alright. Come along now. It's time to kill some zzz's."

They make their way up the stairs. Jinhwan does his best to not cough again. As soon as he enters his bedroom, he slips his shoes off and crawls into bed. He immediately reaches for his blanket.

Bobby looks back at Jinhwan during his quest to find his pajamas. So, we're not brushing our teeth today. Okay, let's give you this.

Bobby makes his way over to Jinhwan. He sits on the bed and tells Jinhwan to open his tiny mouth. Jinhwan complies and Bobby pops in a toothpaste mint; something he picked up on their trip to Japan. Jinhwan immediately feels relieved at the sweet taste of the mint.

"I know how much I snore and all, so I'll be sleeping downstairs tonight. But if for whatever reason you need me, here's the walkie talkie. Use it. Don't feel bothered not to. Okay?"

Jinhwan nods his head. It'd hurt to speak and I even bet my voice would come out all weird. I shouldn't do or say anything else to make him worry.

Bobby nods his head as he slips into his blue slippers and heads for the door. He whispers good night before closing the door. Jinhwan waits in silence until he hears nothing but noises from outside before grabbing his cover and coughing into it as quietly he can.

Hanbin didn't talk to me at me after practice. He didn't swing his arm around my shoulders like he normally does. He didn't even look at me. Really, why am I so selfish. He doesn't have an obligation to do anything for me. 
Jinhwan closes his eyes as he lets the tears roll down his soft cheeks.

Jinhwan doesn't know how much time passes before he hears soft noises coming from the compact kitchen outside his dorm room. He's too tired and cold to pull his phone out and check the time.

Jinhwan listens closely to the gentle sounds. He becomes so entranced by the rhythm that he doesn't hear the soft steps coming his way. He has another coughing fit. He does his best to mask the sound by coughing within his mouth. He hears the click of his door as the knob turns the lock out of its socket. He shuts his eyes before seeing who the mystery person is.

Hanbin awkwardly steps into Jinhwan's room. He closes the door just enough to keep the compact kitchen out of sight. Jinhwan listens in on the mysterious person's footsteps. He nearly jumps out of his skin when he feels the bed shift with the persons weight.

"Jinan hyung, I know when you're asleep. You're not right now." Jinhwan opens his eyes and finds Hanbin toying with his pajama drawstrings. Jinhwan means to smile but immediately starts hacking away at his lungs again. Hanbin looks over at Jinhwan and immediately shoots up from the bed.

"Come on. I need you to follow me."

Jinhwan stares back at Hanbin with a confused look. Hanbin takes in his cute face before he loses his mind.

"I-I'll even give you a piggy back ride there, so come on now," Hanbin blurts as he rapidly squats near Jinhwan's bedside.

Count to 10. Intervals of 10. Don't mess this up, Hanbin. Ugh, you idiot. You went over 10, Hanbin mentally confides.

Jinhwan lays a warm hand on Hanbin's shoulder before pushing down slightly on the other shoulder with his other hand. He slouches forward. Sensing Jinhwan can't push himself forward anymore, Hanbin pushes back on Jinhwan with his hands before scooping him up onto his back by his . Jinhwan tries his best not to lay his head near Hanbin's ear so that his sickness doesn't contract to him.

Hanbin carries Jinhwan over to the compact kitchen island and sets him down in one of the orange-cushioned stools. He sits in a chair opposite Jinhwan.

So, those kitchen sounds came from you.

Hanbin refuses to look up at his best friend as he sheepishly slides a ceramic white cup in front of Jinhwan. "Thought you might need some hot chocolate to make you feel better."

Jinhwan looks down at the cup. A huge smile spreads across his beautiful face as he takes the cup in his hands. It burns his fingertips so he gently retreats them into his sweater. Hanbin looks back at Jinhwan in horror as he reaches over the countertop to hold his hands.

"Sorry, should have said it was going to be hot."

Jinhwan lets out another cough that continues on for some time. "No, it's okay. I'll stop being clumsy one day." 
Hanbin looks back at Jinhwan and smirks. Jinhwan eventually tugs at his hands for Hanbin to let go. His hands immediately lose warmth. He tries not to show disappointment in his face as he watches Jinhwan take the cup in his hands again and place it to his soft, pink lips.

Jinhwan immediately drops the cup from his mouth and looks dead on at Hanbin. Hanbin's forehead cracks with a dribble of sweat as he tries his best to both maintain eye contact with Jinan and guess his reaction to the hot chocolate. Eventually, Jinhwan mouths, "It's delicious" to Hanbin with a huge smile quickly spreading over his lips again. Hanbin leans back a bit, relieved to know his Jinan enjoyed the coffee made by him.

Jinhwan happily drinks his hot chocolate as Hanbin sits and watches with his chin in his palm. Jinhwan burps a little when he's done drinking it. He giggles. "Sorry, it was too good."

This makes Hanbin's heart do a quick somersault. He stands and makes his way over to where Jinhwan is getting out of the chair to head back to his bed. Almost immediately, Jinhwan slants to the side and is about to fall down when Hanbin sprints to his side and catches him just in time.

"Jinan, this is serious. You have a fever." Hyungwon scorns Jinhwan. "Please, Hanbin. I'll be okay. Please. Trust me."

Hanbin looks into Jinhwan's eyes for what seems like a century before he sweeps Jinhwan into his arms and carries him back to his bed.

Jinhwan takes in the feel of Hanbin's moving chest and rapidly beating heart as he tries his best to keep from flushing red like the sun.

Hanbin gently peels back Jinhwan's covers before laying him down in his bed.

How long has it been since we've done this? ... and yet, it doesn't feel like anything is amiss, Jinhwan thinks as he lets out another little cough.

"You'll be shivering in these thin covers. What happens if you need help and can't get to anyone? T-that's why 
it'd be best if I kind of sleep here... with you." Hanbin speeds through his words as he kicks off his slippers and slips in next to Jinhwan. In the small of the bunk bed, each member can feel each others body heat close. Jinhwan presses his cheek further into his pillow as he bends his knees forward a bit. They accidentally rub up against Hanbin's outer thigh. He jumps a bit in his skin. "Woah, what was that?"

Hanbin was never one to like bugs. 
"Just my leg. Sorry." 
"No, you shouldn't be the one apologizing. So, stop. You were fine at practice today, too. I was just trying to find a way to-. Ah, never mind. Just stop saying sorry for being sick. You'll always have me." Jinhwan notices as a red tint creeps up Hanbin's neck and into his ears.

You, idiot, you. You were trying to be the only one to do something special for me. That's why you were quiet in the car and back. You idiot.

Jinhwan pulls up his covers to his nose as tears start to form behind his beautiful, black eyes. Hanbin looks over at him and is surprised to see him crying. His heart breaks.

Ah, I'm such an idiot. I'm always so harsh with him. . 
"Ah, don't cry Jinan. I-" 

Jinhwan shakes his head. "It's nothing to worry about. Sor- Ah." He lets go of the cover to give Hanbin his sweetest, toothiest wide-eyed smile. Hanbin immediately loses it and flips himself over on his side before flipping Jinhwan over and drawing him close. Hanbin props himself up on an elbow as he pulls Jinhwan into the crook of his side. Jinhwan is immediately struck with the warmth of his lean body and the smooth curves behind his pajama shirt. He sinks his head into the pillow.

Hanbin drops his hand down into his best friends soft, brown hair and it hair with his fingers; rubbing it down in circular motions with his thumb. Immediately, Jinhwan's eyelids begin falling droopily over his eyes as he takes in the soft motion of Hanbin's fingers.

Hanbin clears his throat quietly. He starts rapping the lyrics to their song, My Type, in a low whisper. The low vibrations fall into Jinhwan's ears, sending an extra jolt of warmth into his system. He lets out a heavy sigh as he lets Hanbin's words lull him to a blissful sleep.

After Hanbin is done rapping his verses in My Type, he looks down at Jinhwan.

Just like a puppy. Sometimes a little too cute and precious to be true... to be here with me.

Hanbin slides down into bed, wrapping an arm around Jinhwan as he closes his eyes to an unrestless night of sleep.

---Morning---

"Why do I have to do this Yunhyeong? Hanbin will kill me if he catches us."

"You need to toughen up more against him. You can't let him get to you. Now shhh or you'll wake them. Hurry up and take the picture."

Chanwoo and Yunhyeong stand over the two figures laying in bed. Yunhyeong was eager to capture a picture of the two after seeing Jinhwan's adorable face snuggled into the crook of Hanbin's chest and his arm strewn over Hanbin's torso. Jinhwan's hand is cutely hidden behind the sleeve of his sweater so that only the tips of his tiny fingers peek through. His mouth forms a little O that moves with each breath he inhales and exhales.

He breathes in and out so gently, thinks Yunhyeong. His heart flutters as he continues taking in his friends small face and beautiful, black, long eyelashes against the creaminess of his pale face.

"Godddd, Hanbin. We'll have you now," Yunhyeong seethes with a wickedly evil grin over his face.

A little too loudly because just than Hanbin opens his eyes. He shies away from the sun streaming in on the far end of the room before groaning. He stiffens when he feels someone next to him.

He than turns and looks at the two figures by his side who are staring back at Hanbin with frightened, pale faces. Hanbin looks down at Chanwoo's hands and sees the camera. He looks back up at them with fire in his eyes. They both muster a stale laugh and short heys. Yunhyeong even throws up a heart with his fingers to keep the angered Hanbin at bay.

Hanbin rises out of bed, careful not to wake Jinan from his slumber. As soon as he steps onto the hardwood floor, he growls at them both.

"If you guys wake him up, I'll kill you." Hanbin takes a taunting step forward. 
"If you guys make him cry, I'll kill you," Hanbin finishes saying as he lashes forward at Yunhyeong. He purposely lets himself miss him. Yunhyeong screams and scrambles out of the room.

"Yunhyeong," Chanwoo whines as he dashes after him. He looks back and shrieks loudly as he sees Hanbin running after him. Donghyuk steps out of his room, yawning and stretching his arms out.

He's sees Chanwoo dashing past him. Interested, he sticks his head out to get a better look at Chanwoo scrambling down the stairs. Soon after, Hanbin dashes past Donghyuk. He comes to a stop at the top of the stairs. He retraces his steps until he's standing directly in front of Donghyuk.

"Um, would you mind showing me how to make an omelet?," Hanbin mumbles as he massages the back of his neck with the palm of his hand.

And the day went that the members skipped out on one day of practice to make Jinhwan feel better. This time, he wasn't one to say no to any of their offers and Hanbin wouldn't leave Jinhwan's side.