Chapter 26

The Forlorn Promise

 

She had to meet Byunghun, or L.Joe, whichever his real name was. She had to talk to him and tell him why she’d left without saying anything.

“Myungsoo, I’ll see you later.” She stood up, gave Myungsoo a weak smile and hurried off backstage. Myungsoo just stood there, dumbfounded by her actions and heaved a deep breath.

“I don’t think she’s going to meet L.Joe, right?” Still, deep inside, he didn’t seem so sure.

 

There was Byunghun, calmly sipping his drink while checking his phone. Eunhee grinned, glad that he hadn’t left for whatever plans he’d made after the performance. She cleared which automatically made Byunghun look up from his phone screen. ‘Success,’ she thought, happy she’d gained his attention. However, all the happy emotions surging through her disappeared when she saw him scoff.

“What are you doing here?” he spat. Eunhee gulped. If she didn’t get to deliver her message smoothly, there will be a high chance that he’ll kick her out, or even worse, embarrass her in front of the media. She silently prayed he wouldn’t do that.

“I have to talk to you,” she said calmly. At least that’s what she thought she’d sounded like. She didn’t want to appear weak in front of him. His face softened a little; he wasn’t scoffing anymore but his fierce glare remained. He motioned her to come closer, pointed to the nearest chair and asked her to sit.

“What is it?” He had to admit, his heart was beating quickly. Seeing the girl he love after such a long time felt great. He also couldn’t deny that he missed her. Eunhee smoothed out her skirt and plopped down on the chair, her right leg on top of her left and her hands clasped together.

“Were those lyrics meant for me?” Her question caught him by surprise. He didn’t think she’d know it was seriously meant for her. His face was heating up but of course, he chose his ego over his vulnerability.

“Tsk, no, never. Who told you that?” Eunhee’s face crumpled. She felt like someone just stabbed her straight at her heart. Byunghun, on the other hand, had the hugest urge to hug her and tell her everything was a lie. He’d never stopped loving her. Day by day, he waited for her phone call, or a text message that will reassure him she’s fine. He even did that when he was training to become a star, earning slaps from the manager when he didn’t concentrate and when he’d gotten the dance steps wrong. (This isn’t how it’s like though; I’m just trying to leave an impression on you guys that his manager’s a mean person and how much pain L.Joe had gone through for her)

“No one did. But my conscience tells me that you’re lying.” Again, Byunghun was taken aback by her comment. How did she know him so well? She snapped her fingers when she caught him gape.

“So it’s true isn’t it? The lyrics were really meant for me?” He slumped in defeat and shakily placed his iPhone on the coffee table. Eunhee couldn’t help but feel triumphant. Then Byunghun faced her, his expression serious.

“No, God damn it. Stop thinking that way, Eunhee, please. I-“ She cut him off from saying any further.

“You’re lying. You told me at the fan sign event that you don’t even know me. But look, you just mentioned my name less than ten seconds ago. You still remember me, Byunghun, or L.Joe. And couldn’t you be any more obvious? I did leave you and I didn’t say anything either. I was a wimp for not saying a proper goodbye to you,” Eunhee felt everything pour out from . Finally, she closed her eyes, waiting for his hand to land on her face for spouting ‘nonsense’. He didn’t. She slowly opened her eyes.

“So? Just because I know your name doesn’t mean I remember you. I could’ve asked Myungsoo hyung or something. And you think I didn’t know that video of you on the net, screaming at me, got uploaded? Please, you were practically all over the net that time, Eunhee. And about the lyrics, no, how many times do I have to say it? I just wrote that out of frustration because I was watching this melodrama,” he said, crossing his fingers at the back, hoping she wouldn’t see it. Eunhee smirked.

“You are an idiot.” He let that word sink in his head, growling afterwards.

“That’s a stupid reason, Lee Byunghun. No, it’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard in my life. You’re the worst liar ever,” Eunhee could feel her eyes watering and her palms sweating. She was beyond angry. Angry at him for lying to her, for not admitting anything and for being such a jerk.