Chapter 6

I Can Hear Your Voice

Um... Hi.  It's been like 2 months since I've updated IM SO SORRY!!!! I had writer's block and no clear direction for this story.  Also this thing called NCT happened <_< But now hopefully I'm on the right track, so I hope you enjoy!

Changkyun was the first to wake.  He was a bit disoriented, but then he remembered he was in Gunhee's closet.  Not only was he sleeping on the ground of a pitch black closet, but his body was spooning Kihyun's, and his arms were wrapped around his waist.  Changkyun remembered their heated make-out session and smiled at the sleeping beauty in his arms.  He snuggled even closer at the memory.  

Changkyun's movement seemed to have woken Kihyun as he heard him groan.  And then came a loud screech along with an attack of flailing limbs.  Kihyun leaped out of Changkyun's arms and flung himself to the nearest wall.

"Who are you and where am I?" Kihyun nervously shrieked.  Kihyun felt around and detected shoes and maybe an umbrella.  He wasn't too sure.  

Kihyun's eyes widened as he heard his favorite deep voice speak back to him, "Ki settle down. What do you mean where are you? You're in Gunhee's closet."

Kihyun let out a sigh of relief.  At least he wasn't abducted or something.  "But why are we sleeping in his closet?"

Changkyun's heart froze.  Could it be...?  "You don't remember?" he asked in a hushed voice.

"Of course I don't remember! Why else would I have asked?" Kihyun bit back.  He didn't mean to be snippy, but he was kind of embarrassed at the situation they were currently in.

No...  How could he not remember something so important.  Changkyun felt absolutely crushed.  "Ki... What's the last thing you remember...?" he asked rather lifelessly.

Kihyun tried to think back to last night, but his hangover headache was rather distracting.  He rubbed his temples for some minor relief and replied, "Hmm.  I think the last thing I remember was watching Hyungwon and Wonho's game of beer pong.  Wow I must have out or something."

Changkyun fought the urge to cry.  He didn't even remember the kiss on the cheek.  Last night had meant so much to him and yet Kihyun didn't remember any of it.  

"You never answered my question though.  Why are we in here?"  Kihyun was growing more and more curious and slightly worried.  He hoped he didn't do anything embarrassing.  

Changkyun stayed silent. He was torn between telling him the truth and lying about what actually happened.  He finally decided to do both.  "We played truth or dare last night, and Minhyuk dared you and I to stay in this closet for 5 minutes."

"Ok but that's like a really weird dare.  What's the point of us being in a closet?" Kihyun cocked his head to the side in confusion.  Not that Changkyun could see him anyways.  "Wait. They didn't dare us to do anything... weird... in here right?"  Kihyun's heart started racing.  What if...?  What if they dared them to kiss?  

"No."  Changkyun quickly responded.  Which was actually true.  "We came in here and you kind of just fell asleep.  Nothing happened."  Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie.  He hated lying to him, but what if Kihyun got scared and pushed him away even further? Changkyun couldn't bare the thought of them growing even more apart than what they already have.

Truthfully Kihyun was kind of disappointed.  Not that he would ever admit it.  "Ah ok.  That's good then."

Changkyun's heart sunk at his words.  Now he really couldn't find out what happened.

Kihyun picked himself off the floor and searched for the doorknob.  He didn't want to stay in there any longer than necessary.  

Changkyun scrambled to his feet when he realized what Kihyun was doing.  He had to tell the guys before they could spill the beans to Kihyun about last night.  

The pair finally left the closet to find the boys still passed out in the living room.  To Kihyun's surprise, Hyungwon and Wonho were sprawled out on the couch, limbs tangled.  Shownu and Minhyuk were lying on the ground, and Minhyuk was using Shownu's chest as a pillow.  Jooheon and Gunhee were missing.  They probably shacked up in Gunhee's bedroom for their 'fun time.'

Kihyun turned to look at Changkyun and let out a gasp.  "WHY AREN'T YOU WEARING ANY CLOTHES!?"  Kihyun quickly backed away from Changkyun and proceeded to trip and fall over Shownu and Minhyuk on the floor.   Shownu let out a loud groan while Minhyuk whimpered at the sudden body on top of them.  "Ah sorry," Kihyun gumbled as he picked himself up off the complaining bodies. 

Kihyun spotted Changkyun's clothes he had shed the previous night and threw them at him.  "Here.  Put these on."

Changkyun quickly shrugged on his clothes before Kihyun could complain any more.  

All the groaning must have woken Hyungwon.  The minute Hyungwon realized where he was and with whom, he immediately shoved Wonho off the couch, his face scrunched up in disgust.  Wonho just so happened to land on Shownu and Minhyuk who were still nursing their previous wounds.  

"Oh my god what now?? Get off!" Shownu heaved a very perplexed Wonho off of him.  Shownu sat up to get a better view of Minhyuk. "Are you ok?" he softly murmured as he caressed his crush's cheek.  Minhyuk's face grew pink as he nodded in response.  Shownu smiled back at him, face growing to be just as rosy in color.

"Did I miss something?" Kihyun asked after witnessing what just happened between his two currently blushing friends.  

Hyungwon sat up on the couch and answered, "Oh it's no big deal.  It's not like they're hard-core crushing on each other or anything."  Hyungwon just then realized how weird Kihyun's question was.  "Wait. But shouldn't you have already known that?  I mean you saw what went down last night during truth or dare..."  

"He doesn't remember anything that happened last night after the first game of beer pong."  Changkyun sighed.

"Then that means-" Minhyuk started but immediately shut up at the look on Changkyun's face.  

"Then that means what?"  Kihyun questioned looking between the two.  

"Oh uhhh just that you missed a lot of the fun!"  Minhyuk nervously chuckled.  "Also, Shownu and I are going on a date next weekend!"

"Wait you two like each other?" Kihyun asked in disbelief.

"Dude it's so obvious.  Like how could you not see it?" Jooheon smirked as he and Gunhee entered the living room.  

Kihyun threw his hands in the air.  "Oh my god. Are all of you gay or something?"

None of the guys looked Kihyun in the eye at the question and busied themselves with their phones.

Changkyun finally spoke up.  "So what if we are?"

Everyone froze at his question.  The atmosphere was tense as Kihyun opened and closed his mouth a couple times to respond, but nothing came out.  

The possibility that Changkyun was gay was very intriguing to Kihyun.  He couldn't respond back to him because he honestly didn't know how he felt about the topic.  Kihyun was a jumbled up mess on the inside between what was right and what was wrong.

Kihyun stretched and faked a yawn. "So anyways I think I'm gonna go back and take a nap."  Kihyun really couldn't handle the awkwardness any longer.  He packed up a few of his things and left without another word.

As soon as Kihyun was gone for good, Minhyuk broke the silence. "So he really doesn't remember anything?"

Changkyun plopped himself on the couch beside Hyungwon and groaned, “nothing.  Absolutely nothing.” 

“Everything was going so smoothly, too.”  The boys all nodded at Wonho’s words. 

“I think… from now on… I want to be honest with him.  He deserves that much.  No more games.  I want him to know the truth.  Whether he feels the same way towards me doesn’t matter anymore.  I just want my friend back.”  Changkyun abruptly stood up.  “You know what?  I’m gonna see if I can catch up with him now.”  At this, Changkyun sprinted out the door after his long-time friend and crush, leaving the others in a sleepy and perplexed state.

-------------

Kihyun kicked a stone on the sidewalk he was slowly treading on.  “Stupid Changkyun.”  Another stone got the boot.  “Stupid Changkyun.”  And another.  “Stupid Changkyun.” 

“Hey, I’m not that bad am I?”  Kihyun jumped and whipped his head around to find a breathless Changkyun right behind him.

“Ah.  I mean.  Uh.”  The embarrassed Kihyun blushed, turned back around, and started walking at a faster pace.  Changkyun easily caught up and grabbed his arm to turn Kihyun to face him again.

“Ki.  What happened to you?  You never used to act like this.  I mean… You can’t even hold a single conversation with me without stuttering or blushing.  Have you suddenly grown shy these past few years?  Because that’s not the Kihyun I knew.”  Kihyun’s eyes widened at Changkyun’s sudden boldness.

Kihyun thought for a couple seconds before slowly mumbling, “it’s not that I’m shy, necessarily.  It’s just… That you’ve changed?  I guess.  And I don’t know how to handle it.”  Changkyun’s eyebrows scrunched in confusion at Kihyun’s accusation.  Kihyun was going around in circles.  He didn’t want to come out and admit that he might might be attracted to his friend.

Changkyun made a decision.  “You know what?  Come with me.”  Changkyun once again grabbed Kihyun’s arm and started dragging him down the sidewalk. 

Kihyun shrugged out of Changkyun’s grip.  “Where are we going?” 

“Back to our roots,” was the last thing that was said between the two for the next hour.

Changkyun ended up hauling Kihyun to the nearest bus station.  Sitting shoulder to shoulder, the atmostphere was tense.  Neither one had anything to say.  Changkyun gave Kihyun the window seat, probably because he remembered his fondness of them from their childhood.  Kihyun was absentmindedly watching the passing buildings when he saw a sign for his hometown.

“You’re not taking me home are you?”  Kihyun choked out.  No way was he in his right mind to be in the same room as his parents and Changkyun.  His parents would definitely figure out something was up.

“Not quite.”  The corners of Changkyun’s lips turned up into a small smile.  So Kihyun went back to his own thoughts, watching as the familiar landscape washed over him.

Ten minutes later Changkyun announced, “This is our stop.”

Kihyun jarred out of his thoughts and immediately looked around as they stepped off the bus.  “The park?”

“Don’t you remember?  We always came here to play as kids.”  Both boys couldn’t help but smile as the memories came slipping out.

They passed the merry-go-round.  Changkyun pointed at it and accused Kihyun, “you would always make me spin you until I got so dizzy that I couldn’t walk straight.”  Kihyun laughed as he remembered just how silly Changkyun looked after spinning him around and around.

Kihyun nodded his head at the slides.  “You wouldn’t let us leave the park until we went down that slide at least 10 times.  That was your favorite thing here.”  Changkyun smiled and shrugged.

They both stopped when they reached the back of the park.  The only thing left was the swings.  Without saying a word, they both took their own respectful seat.  Changkyun started swinging.  Not too long after, he realized Kihyun was still quietly sitting in his swing, so he stopped.

“Ki.”  Changkyun held his hand out.  Kihyun looked from Changkyun’s face to his hand.  Last time it was Kihyun who held his hand out for Changkyun to hold.  So much has changed.  But… change seemed to be okay.  Kihyun returned Changkyun’s smile and took his hand.

“Kihyun.  If anything is bothering you.  Or if you’re ever afraid, I’m always here for you, okay?  I learned that from a good friend many years ago.  I’ve always wanted to return the favor.”  Changkyun squeezed Kihyun’s hand.  Changkyun’s words had so many hidden depths to them, and for some reason, as they began their ascent together, Kihyun’s worries were left behind. 

--------------

It seemed the trip to the park was a huge step in Changkyun and Kihyun’s relationship.  Besides not feeling like he had to constantly avoid Changkyun, Kihyun could also hold more than a second’s worth of conversation with him without blushing like crazy.  Everything looked like it was going back to normal.  Except it wasn’t.  Kihyun now felt the need to be attached to Changkyun’s hip 24/7.  It used to be that just Changkyun’s voice drove his heartbeat up the wall, but now it was all the little things:  his smile, his laugh, his little habits, etc. 

Kihyun no longer thought too hard about his feelings.  Kihyun was an unhappy mess when he tried to suppress them, so he felt a hundred times better now that he just let his feelings happen.  Not that he ever played on his emotions.  Just being close to Changkyun was good enough for him.  Kihyun was pretty sure liking Changkyun was a higher chance than just might anymore.

At this, Kihyun had been giggling into his chemistry book for the past 10 minutes. 

Shownu cut into Kihyun’s daydreaming, “you know.  I’ve never seen someone look so happy about writing a lab report before.” 

Kihyun looked up to see Shownu smirking at him.  “What?  Is it illegal to be happy?”  Kihyun snipped back.

Shownu shrugged and admitted, “no.  To be honest, it’s just nice seeing you smile again.”

Kihyun rolled his eyes.  “Speaking of happiness, isn’t your date with Minhyuk this weekend?  What’re your plans?”

Shownu raked his hands through his hair in frustration.  “Ah.  See, I was just wondering if, you know.  If you could help me with that?”

Kihyun raised his eyebrow, “with what, exactly?”  It was rare to see Shownu so unsure of himself.

“Well, I was just wondering if you could come too…?”

“Wait, what???  Why would I go on a date with you and Minhyuk??  I would totally be that awkward third wheel!”  Kihyun stood up and exclaimed a little too loudly for being in the library.  Ignoring the many heads that had turned towards him, Kihyun slowly sat back down in his seat.

“You wouldn’t have to come by yourself!  Bring someone!  Like Changkyun or something.”  Shownu rushed out. 

“This seems like a double date kind of thing.”  Kihyun eyed him suspiciously.

“The thing is… I’ve never been on a date before.”  Shownu shyly admitted.

Kihyun sighed in defeat. “I’ll see what I can do, but if I can’t get anyone to go with me I’m not going!”

“Ok ok that’s fine.  Thank you, though.  I really appreciate it.  I just don’t want to mess anything up with Minhyuk.  I really like him…” Shownu openly showing his feelings like that was a shocker to Kihyun; truly a rare sight.

Kihyun planned on asking Changkyun later that night, but as soon as Changkyun entered their dorm room, Kihyun clammed up.  Asking him to go on a double date with him was… Kihyun shuddered.  He quickly whipped out his phone.

To: Changhyunie

Hey.

Changkyun’s phone vibrated.  As soon as Changkyun saw who the sender was, he shot Kihyun a perplexed look.  He quickly typed back a reply and seconds later it was Kihyun’s phone’s turn to vibrate. 

From:  Changkyunie

Hey?

Kihyun was starting to blush as he started the new message and hid his face as soon as it sent.

To: Changkyunie

Would you want to go on a double date with Shownu, Minhyuk, and I this weekend…?

Changkyun received the second message.  “Oh my god you’re kidding me, right?  You couldn’t have just asked me this?  Ki, we’re in the same freaking room ya dork.”

Still attempting at hiding, Kihyun mumbled out, “I know but it’s such an awkward thing to ask.”

Changkyun crossed the room and ripped Kihyun’s hands from his face.  He lifted Kihyun’s chin so he could look him in the eye.  “I’m not going to assume things.  Everyone knows Shownu is super nervous about the date.  But to answer you, yes, I’m available.  Changkyun smiled at Kihyun before going back to his side of the room.

Not too long after the boys slipped into bed, Kihyun’s phone vibrated.

From:  Changkyunie

It’s a date :)